Which House System do you use?

Tatianna

Hello

What are your opinions on house systems and which system do you use?
The fact that you could completely change the positioning of the planets in the houses is important

I started off using placidus since I was younger but then started to use equal, I'm still unsure of which to use as I haven't come to a final conclusion of which one I think is accurate.

The placidus system would place my scorpio moon in the 3rd house - which I can relate to a lot, as i do feel like I have gemini undertones to my moon - able to multi task, observe many things at once,, relatable, good communication emotionally, flickering from one thing to the next. Or is that just because Mercury is my ruler!? who knows!

The equal system would put my moon just about in the 2nd house,

I'm torn!

What system do you use?

JUPITERASC

Hello
The fact that you could completely change the positioning of the planets in the houses is important

I started off using placidus since I was younger but then started to use equal, I'm still unsure of which to use as I haven't come to a final conclusion of which one I think is accurate.

The placidus system would place my scorpio moon in the 3rd house - which I can relate to a lot, as i do feel like I have gemini undertones to my moon - able to multi task, observe many things at once,, relatable, good communication emotionally, flickering from one thing to the next. Or is that just because Mercury is my ruler!? who knows!
you intentionally posted your thread on our Traditional board
where approach to delineation
is very different from Modernistic styles of astrology
and so
for clarity
read moderator guidance for posting on traditional board
in order to avoid any potential misunderstandings
at https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120411

The equal system would put my moon just about in the 2nd house,
I'm torn!
What system do you use?
I use Whole Sign :smile:

JUPITERASC

The placidus system would place my scorpio moon in the 3rd house
- which I can relate to a lot,

as i do feel like I have gemini undertones to my moon
- able to multi task, observe many things at once,,
relatable, good communication emotionally,
flickering from one thing to the next.

Or is that just because Mercury is my ruler!? who knows!
Third THEMA MUNDI house is VIRGO :smile:

ruler MERCURY

Traditional astrologers refer to the THEMA MUNDI
an ancient Hellenistic astrological teaching aid
placing Cancer as the '....natural first house....'

because

“....Cancer, sign of mothering associates with the 1st
house of incarnation
where one comes into tangible form.

Aries is Thema Mundi 10th house of
fiery initiative, career, fame, worldly expression.
Capricorn does not fit the outgoing initiative required of 10th.
Aries as the natural sign associated with 10th

helps us understand Aries Point
which seems closer in meaning to 10th than to Ascendant.

Children are often conceived in 5th house
- overlaying the house of passionate sex
with the sign of mysteries of birth and death makes sense.
A fun romance, can involve you deeper than you planned...”

....Thema Mundi is the chart that truly is
one of the ancient keys to astrology.
Keys lead to doors and doors lead to different places...
this is the beginning of an adventure”.

http://planetwavesweekly.com/dadatemp/1832374392.html

main-qimg-2b3c17a2594088fbde991a7d13d11d00

Juggernaut

I use Whole signs for the Ascendant but then I forgo any degrees of house delineation other than the 4 angles. I interpret planets in quadrants rather than houses. E.g. Venus in the 6th house represents the need for inner security and beginning relationships with others. And more specifically developing skills and the love of being helpful.
House systems are not based in astronomical reality and the fact that astrologers cant agree on one single one tells me they are not valid. But the angles definitely are.

Juggernaut

The fact that astrologers cant agree on any one house system tell me that its not valid added the the fact that House Systems are not based on any astronomical reality unlike the angles.

I don't use any house system. I delineate the Ascendant and angles with whole signs then I forgo delineation of all the other houses. I interpret planets in quadrants only. E.g. Venus in the 2nd quadrant represents the need for inner security and beginning relationships with others. The position of Venus in the the quadrant is considered as it travels counter clockwise. Whatever sign its in adds more to the story of course.

JUPITERASC

I use Whole signs for the Ascendant but then I forgo any degrees of house delineation other than the 4 angles. I interpret planets in quadrants rather than houses.

E.g. Venus in the 6th house represents the need for inner security and beginning relationships with others.

And more specifically developing skills and the love of being helpful.

House systems are not based in astronomical reality and the fact that astrologers cant agree on one single one tells me they are not valid. But the angles definitely are.
Traditionally, 6th House Main Rulerships: Illness and disease :smile:

its condition and cause, whether the illness will be short or long
curable or not.

All matters relating to the health industry

and those who work in it: dentists, doctors, nurses.
Employees, tenants and servants.
Pets, small animalshttp://www.skyscript.co.uk/temples/h6.html

JUPITERASC

The fact that astrologers cant agree on any one house system tell me that its not valid added the the fact that House Systems are not based on any astronomical reality unlike the angles.

I don't use any house system. I delineate the Ascendant and angles with whole signs then I forgo delineation of all the other houses. I interpret planets in quadrants only. E.g. Venus in the 2nd quadrant represents the need for inner security and beginning relationships with others. The position of Venus in the the quadrant is considered as it travels counter clockwise. Whatever sign its in adds more to the story of course.

Traditionally WHOLE SIGN HOUSES were used originally :smile:

The Astrology Podcast academic scholar Ali A Olomi

says that whole sign houses was the predominant system of house division

used by Arabic-speaking astrologers
from the early Islamicate period all the way through the 18th century.

This was a somewhat surprising observation
since it seems like degree-based forms of house division
e.g. equal houses, Alcabitius, Placidus
became the dominant systems in the European astrological tradition
from the 12th century onward
and whole sign houses were largely forgotten.

This was an interesting aside that occurred in episode 295 of the podcast
titled "...Queen Buran, Astrologer in 9th Century Baghdad...."
wanted to include a clip from that episode here
since Ali's views provide an interesting perspective
on the ongoing research
surrounding the history of house division in western astrology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5sHzoNic94

I don't have personal preferences or opinions. The choice of a house system in astrology depends on individual astrologers and their methodologies. Some commonly used house systems include Placidus, Equal House, Whole Sign, Koch, and more. Each has its own approach to dividing the astrological chart, and astrologers choose the one that aligns with their interpretation style and beliefs. It's essential to explore and select the system that resonates most with your astrological practice and understanding.

DC80

I do it the way it was traditionally done. I cast a chart in whole sign. I delineate the questions. If the horoscope is more than 15° in the rising sign, then I recast the chart with equal sign and I refine my initial delineation.

Where people fail is confusing signs with constellations. They are not the same thing. That's why tropical vs sideral is stupid. The signs are just images, not actual constellations so the fact that Earth retards 1° every 72 years is important for astronomy, but not astrology.

I usually don't include the MC on either whole sign or equal sign unless there's a very good reason to do so.

I also cast a whole sign chart for the Lunar Ascendant. I should probably mention I don't automatically reverse the formula for Fortune. Whether I use Fortune or use Spirit instead of Fortune depends on the location of the lights. The Sun can never be totally out of sect, but Moon can be.

DC80

In fairness for their defense, there have been a lot of very bad translations and even worse interpretations of the translations that misled people for literally centuries.

There's also, I don't know what you'd call it, maybe paradigm is the right word where science/technology leads to greater accuracy and precision. Having aspired to be an engineer at one time, I can tell you that is mostly true, but it is not applicable to astrology.

There's no good reason to trisect the quadrants and the false belief there is a good reason is based on the false belief that it leads to greater accuracy. The degrees on the cusp on are nothing and mean nothing and they don't enhance the delineation.