Negative behaviour psychology

Mandy

I often find myself reflecting on why people do bad things or exhibit negative behaviours towards others. From where I sit, there is no situation in the world that cannot be dealt with effectively and productively, if people would choose to behave in a positive manner. Being polite is no more time consuming than being purposefully rude. I see that with people who behave negatively, it seems that they dont just choose the "easiest" option. Rather, it seems cerebral; they seem compelled on reflection to behave that way. An extreme example is Hitler. A non-extreme example is an inconsiderate member of the community.

So, I have surmised that the trait all negative behaviour in the world can be reduced to is selfishness. People who behave negatively towards others are fundamentally selfish people. Or, on a smaller scale, at the root of negativity of any sort in human behaviour is selfishness. Is there anybody who disagrees with me?

Last edited:

gen6k

i agree that all non-metaphysical problems can be fixed within the bounds of physical laws.

for example we cannot create infinite energy.

we cant answer the origin of the universe.

we can create cool circumstances.

now this is a mutable genetic phenotypes and social relation type of correlation to answer this question.

what would be the big picture of this phenomena:

Mars passing 5 aquarius in the sky around the time your question was asked.

Charubel (Mars):

Symbol: Two bulls fighting.

A disagreeable, unsociable man, a fault-finder; one who cannot talk without argument, and who cannot argue without losing
his temper; hypercritical.

Mandy

i agree that all non-metaphysical problems can be fixed within the bounds of physical laws.

for example we cannot create infinite energy.

we cant answer the origin of the universe.

we can create cool circumstances.

now this is a mutable genetic phenotypes and social relation type of correlation to answer this question.

what would be the big picture of this phenomena:

Mars passing 5 aquarius in the sky around the time your question was asked.

Charubel (Mars):

Symbol: Two bulls fighting.

A disagreeable, unsociable man, a fault-finder; one who cannot talk without argument, and who cannot argue without losing
his temper; hypercritical.

Well, the truth is the truth so however negative the truth might sound, it is what it is: truth/neutral. So when you allude to more personalised/reasoned/astrological factors, it tends to reflect not a trait, but something more contextual. I am talking about generalised - across humanity. Negative behavior nestled on top of truth, is selfish behaviour. Agree/not?

What made you look at Mars and not Sun, Mercury, Venus?

Mandy

Behavior is learned. Consider 'Classical Conditioning' Ivan Pavlov http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhqumfpxuzI :smile:

I totally predicted you would say that. It is a valid point. I was thinking why are some individuals mean to others when they have the nicest mother and father; like they could not have possibly picked it up at home. But I am aware that the things children internalise come mostly from their peer group and not the home (excl. extreme cases). As such, I can imagine that people can learn to be selfish as a way to cope with earlier rejection, perhaps, for example. Still, as people develop into adults they do know the difference between right and wrong/positive and negative/polite and impolite in non-ambivalent situations. Whether the reason is explained by an interaction between genetic and envornmental factors (as our friend points out) or just environmental conditioning, can (adult) consciously chosen negative behaviour ever be seen as non-selfishly rooted?

I know its not a big deal. But sometimes people behave negatively/selfishly and they know it. Other times, however, people feel justified in behaving selfishly and somehow believe that they are a good person. Perhaps its their mental representation of what constitutes a good person that causes the fault. Still, that sounds like Hitler to me.

JUPITERASC

I totally predicted you would say that. It is a valid point.
You did not write that on the opening post though :smile:
I was thinking why are some individuals mean to others when they have the nicest mother and father; like they could not have possibly picked it up at home.....
Remember...

- Non semper ea sunt quae videntur
- things are not always as they seem to be!!

i.e. 'the nicest mother and father' may well morph when away from public scrutiny and in the privacy of their own home

Mandy

You are right. I think of it as selfishness, period, but I always forget, as you say, one never knows what lies beneath, that people may have a mental disorder which could prevent them from seeing clear. Good one (prayer and compassion towards these individuals).