Virgo and Cancer as the Ultra feminine signs

I have a Taurus sun , Virgo moon and Cancer rising and I’ve always been interested in topics concerning divine femininity and I recently started studying about these two signs finding out that Virgo is the high priestess, witch and Sacred prostitute and also being the largest constellation of the zodiac and Cancer being the highly spiritual sign , I also remember seeing a thread on here talking about Ceres associated with Cancer and Virgo and in our birth chart Ceres represents womanhood, nurturer and mother

Cancer is the mother archetype and the ultimate expression of feminine energy. Cancer, ruled by the moon, is all about the mysteries of the divine feminine. “Cancers embody this quality of a light that illuminates the night, [or] the mysterious realm of the feminine,” astrologer Taryn Leigh tells Her Campus. “Sensual and sweet, Cancers can adore you with the deepest love.” But while they can combat the toxicity of a male-dominated world, they can also can embody the ‘dark’ side of the moon. Given how fiercely protective they are over their loved ones, they’re not afraid to fight for them when it comes down to it.

Virgo is the sign of the divine feminine,Maiden and the Mother. It is also the sign of “Mater,” the Material world. Virgo, representing innocence, virtue, fertility and feminine royalty, has been associated with many of the famous mythological women of classic times, The mystery of Virgo has been expressed in the course of time as thousands of changing images: the Virgin, the goddess and mother of the Earth, the Platonists’ goddess Natura, Parsifal’s Pieta, Demeter-Persephone and the Artemis of Ephesus, Athena and Aphrodite, Freya with the apples of eternal youth, the Mary listening to the angel’s annunciation and the Mary beside the manger with the animals ranged about. Feminine royalty rules the heavens in the constellation Virgo.

But I have a question, why are some signs symbolized by animals and some by mythical creatures and the others by humans ? It’s funny how libra is the only sign symbolized by an object

IleneK

Premium Member
I have a question, why are some signs symbolized by animals and some by mythical creatures and the others by humans ? It’s funny how libra is the only sign symbolized by an object

Because images of the zodiac are symbolic of all being. This includes all living things, real and imagined, as expressed through the lens of being human.

JUPITERASC

I have a Taurus sun , Virgo moon and Cancer rising and I’ve always been interested in topics concerning divine femininity and I recently started studying about these two signs finding out that Virgo is the high priestess, witch and Sacred prostitute and also being the largest constellation of the zodiac and Cancer being the highly spiritual sign , I also remember seeing a thread on here talking about Ceres associated with Cancer and Virgo and in our birth chart Ceres represents womanhood, nurturer and mother

Cancer is the mother archetype and the ultimate expression of feminine energy. Cancer, ruled by the moon, is all about the mysteries of the divine feminine. “Cancers embody this quality of a light that illuminates the night, [or] the mysterious realm of the feminine,” astrologer Taryn Leigh tells Her Campus. “Sensual and sweet, Cancers can adore you with the deepest love.” But while they can combat the toxicity of a male-dominated world, they can also can embody the ‘dark’ side of the moon. Given how fiercely protective they are over their loved ones, they’re not afraid to fight for them when it comes down to it.

Virgo is the sign of the divine feminine,Maiden and the Mother. It is also the sign of “Mater,” the Material world. Virgo, representing innocence, virtue, fertility and feminine royalty, has been associated with many of the famous mythological women of classic times, The mystery of Virgo has been expressed in the course of time as thousands of changing images: the Virgin, the goddess and mother of the Earth, the Platonists’ goddess Natura, Parsifal’s Pieta, Demeter-Persephone and the Artemis of Ephesus, Athena and Aphrodite, Freya with the apples of eternal youth, the Mary listening to the angel’s annunciation and the Mary beside the manger with the animals ranged about. Feminine royalty rules the heavens in the constellation Virgo.

But I have a question,

why are some signs symbolized by animals

and some by mythical creatures

and the others by humans ?

'…..man did not see pictures in the night skies
and then
circumscribe the constellations
according to artistic vision.

Instead
man noted that people born when certain groupings of stars were rising
or setting
or directly overhead
exhibited certain characteristics in common :smile:

These characteristics seemed animalistic,
bird like,
aquatic
heroic
or
ultra humanistic.

Once this correlation was made,
the symbolic mind of man
assigned SHAPE to groupings of stars
for easy reference.

Some shapes were earthly, human
some creative fantasies
but each shape or constellation
represented symbolically
THE OBSERVED EFFECTS OF THAT GROUP OF STARS
when manifested in the life of a person...' Robert Huntz Granite

It’s funny how libra
is the only sign
symbolized by an object

specifically
A WEIGHING SCALE
utilised by humans

requiring human assessment

Libra holds the meaning of balance

as related to society
and its human laws.

In Babylonian astrology, Libra was called ZIB-BA AN-NA, or Zibanu
which means ‘...the scales...’ aka the ‘...balance of heaven...’
but they also called it the Claws of the Scorpion.
When the sun rose in Libra at the autumn equinox,
it was referred to as the ‘...weighing place...’ :smile:
because
the scales belonged to the sun god Utu, or Shamash.

Utu ruled over justice and truth, and was associated with law and order - harmonious living in society.
As the sun, he represented the power of light to reveal the truth
by shining into the darkness.
He was often depicted holding a serrated saw
that he used to cut through mountains.

It may also have been a symbol of retributive justice
and Gavin White explains:
“…the sun god’s saw and scales can still be recognised
in the modern figure of ‘...justice...’ that stands above the British law courts.
She is blindfolded to symbolise her impartiality
and holds the sword of punishment in one hand
and the scales of judgement in the other.”

Ancient Egyptians recognised Libra as a constellation in its own right
but the sign was still connected to the Scorpionic realm of the dead
in their mythology.

Egyptian religion and society was based on maat
or cosmic order, which had to be balanced against isfet, or chaos.

Maat covered all areas, from the physical world and politics
to personal conduct and ethics.
Egyptian society was modelled on the cosmic harmony reflected in the stars
and the regular patterns of life, such as the flooding of the Nile.
It was the pharaoh’s job to maintain the balance between heaven and earth
but everybody was expected to live according to the laws of maat.

After death, Anubis led the soul into the Hall of Two Truths in the underworld
to be judged. The heart was weighed against the feather of Maat on a pair of scales.
If the heart was light and equal to the feather
the soul would continue on to meet Osiris.
But if the heart was heavy, the soul would be fed to Ammit
a goddess whose name means ‘...devourer...’ or ‘...soul eater...’
– a mix of lion, hippopotamus, and crocodile.

Maat was the goddess and personification of truth and justice.
She regulated the stars and the seasons, and stood for
balance, harmony, morality and law :smile:
Daily life was lived in accordance with her ethical codes
in order to maintain cosmic and social harmony.

The concept of maat is similar to the Taoist principle of the Tao
aka the Way of Heaven
as well as dharma in Buddhism and Hinduism.

david starling

Because images of the zodiac are symbolic of all being. This includes all living things, real and imagined, as expressed through the lens of being human.

The goddess of Justice, holding the balance scale, is the full depiction of Libra.

The Babylonian image for Aquarius was originally just an overflowing basin. The full depiction is a person pouring out a container of water. The images aren't as definite and descriptive as the Elements and Modes.

david starling

I learned that libra represents the goddess of justice in Egyptian horoscope I think that’s Mut I don’t know if I’m correct
Yes, "Ma'at"--goddess of Truth, Justice, Morality, Harmony, and Order.

In the Sumerian culture, these were the qualities of "Ishtar" as the goddess associated with the planet now known as Venus, as the Morning Star.

As the Evening Star version of the planet Venus, Ishtar was the goddess of beauty and love.

Last edited:
Yes, "Ma'at"--goddess of Truth, Justice, Morality, Harmony, and Order.

In the Sumerian culture, these were the qualities of "Ishtar" as the goddess associated with the planet now known as Venus, as the Morning Star.

As the Evening Star version of the planet Venus, Ishtar was the goddess of beauty and love.
Sorry Ma’at not mut

High-minded

The use of divining what is subjective is one of trying to find within the self some sort of anchor point or understanding, the problem is we don't know how truthful such practices going way back are as we don't know the beginning truly or the intent of such starting work.

As a Crab with Taurus Moon I am not ultra feminine but I am patient and emotionally responsive but also emotionally great at deciphering motives of people since emotion is where it stems from.

Something Scorpio gets told they have powers of perception well so do all 3 Water signs.

I think when a Cancer is harboring all emotional power they have for the self is where we get swelled up and explode so we end up being crabby.

Life is emotional, we manipulate emotions and life to form structure, the right or wrong or dark from light are subjective and from the same cloth as survival.

Sadly our modern world is entrenched in the material world and it's made people sour, overly reliant on what the physical world can give and have no spiritual grounding.

I notice the use of Demeter-Persephone I have Persephone conjunct my Sun and Ceres on Mercury on South Node.

Last edited:

paul1

why are some signs symbolized by animals and some by mythical creatures and the others by humans ? It’s funny how libra is the only sign symbolized by an object
The three Air signs, Geminii, Libra, and Aquarius, are represented by symbols other than animals because they trade in human qualities rather than the law of the jungle. They deal with the intellect, a solely human capacity. Communication, balance, and outcome (Aquarius/water) in daily affairs confirm humanity as the apex participants. It's a matter of the responsibility of representing the human viewpoint in the turmoil. Also the air signs function as communication vectors with all three able to see both sides of an issue (example Turkey (Libra) in the Ukraine conflict). Now we are entering an Air age, so humanity comes to the fore, as illustrated by the yet to be attained balance between humans and the environment, with the consequent arising of punishing viruses from the jungle.

Air signs constellations.jpeg

The other two signs which are symbolized by human concepts are the Virgin and Centaur. Out of twelve, five represent human qualities, meaning it requires work to attain balance (6). The Virgin is not on the animal side of the zodiac, it is a human quality of preservation of perfection through renunciation. The Centaur illustrates human mastery over the animal, and opens the final triplicity in the evolution of personality. Capricorn is the cardinal sign in this triplicity, and points to the qualities of work and perseverance that will result in success in this phase.

Last edited:

david starling

The three Air signs, Geminii, Libra, and Aquarius, are represented by symbols other than animals because they deal with human qualities rather than the law of the jungle. Communication, balance, and outcome (Aquarius/water) in daily affairs confirm humanity as the apex force. Also the air signs function as communication vectors and all three are able to see both sides of an issue.

I've been pointing out that Virgo is the "Materialistic Air-sign". The "Maiden" should be added to the Air-sign category. The fact that Virgo is often depicted as a winged maiden suggests Air as well.

Last edited:

FraterAC

I've been pointing out that Virgo is the "Materialistic Air-sign". The "Maiden" should be added to the Air-sign category. The fact that Virgo is often depicted as a winged maiden suggests Air as well.
In my understanding, Virgo represents the application or focusing of the mind in the material world. Thus Virgo has to do with work, service, and the consciousness of the body (including health). It's interesting that the intestines (ruled by Virgo) have a very high concentration of nerves (Mercury) and are the source of our "gut feelings" (subliminal reasoning). Also the preoccupation with minutia, details and analysis of Virgo being the earthbound intellect.
I think of Virgo as the Mind of Earth.

paul1

Cancer is in some ways subordinate to Scorpio that being the only water form to conquer earth existence, and the fish is more water-dependent than the crab. Cancer could not be feminine negative being a Cardinal sign which gives direction, implemented through passive aggression. Interesting that the first triplicity has two Cardinal signs- in the opposite elements of fire and water, the second one in air, and the third one in earth. This shows the guiding qualities necessary to progress through each triplicity. For example the first requires not only the initiating energy of Aries, but also the extra nurturing of Cancer, being the triplicity of establishment & early growth. Any native of a particular triplicity has the general characteristics of its mission. The fire signs at the beginning of each triplicity can be thought of as explosions on different levels of being, the remaining signs in it guiding that energy. For example Virgo cleans up the mess after the adolescent party of Leo, anticipating the maturity of the third triplicity.

Last edited:

david starling

In my understanding, Virgo represents the application or focusing of the mind in the material world. Thus Virgo has to do with work, service, and the consciousness of the body (including health). It's interesting that the intestines (ruled by Virgo) have a very high concentration of nerves (Mercury) and are the source of our "gut feelings" (subliminal reasoning). Also the preoccupation with minutia, details and analysis of Virgo being the earthbound intellect.
I think of Virgo as the Mind of Earth.

Pallas Athena, foremost Greek maiden goddess, "wise in the arts of peace and the arts of war", protectoress of the city-state, is included in the Virgoan archetype imo.

Also, the "Earth" has 3 realms, its solid body ( :taurus: ), its waters ( :capricorn: as the Seagoat, or Goatfish of the constellational image), and its surrounding atmosphere ( :virgo: ).

Last edited: