What does mean "reception" in horary? I still don´t get

jjj

I have studied a bit relational horary, and I do not get the concept of "reception".
Example: Venus is in Aries and Mars is in Libra - there is mutual reception, ok

but let´s suppose that Venus is in Aries and Mars is in Cap...

:confused: does this mean that Venus is received by Mars and consequently Mars has an interest in her, cares abut her, receiving her in his sign... or does this mean that Venus receives Mars, being in his sign... who cares about whom? Venus about Mars or viceversa?

I have seen on this forum both approaches... I tend to think that in this particular case Mars cares about Venus, receiving her in his sign...

am i right?

Thanks!

archergirl

Hi jjj,

Here is a great article that lays out Lilly's use of reception quite clearly.

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/reception.html

Reception doesn't necessarily mean 'cares about'; it's more like that person is, literally, 'receptive' to the other person or open to them. But not always!

The article should explain things better. Scroll past the theoretical stuff if that isn't your cup of tea; the explanations are further down.

Happy reading! :)
Cheers,
AG

Last edited:

jjj

Thanks Archergirl,
actually it was your answer to the most recent relationship horary "should i call him" that confused me, I quote:

"His significator is Mars; he is placed in the 4th. The only relationship between Mars and Venus is that you (Venus) are in his sign. You are more keen than him."

If Venus is in Aries, it should mean that Mars receives Venus, is interested in her, keen on her?

archergirl

Hi jjj,

Really weird, I posted a reply and it vanished! I guess we're still in Mercury shadow! :p

Reception is like this: a good example, which is used in the article I linked, is a scene from the film 'Kingdom of Heaven', where an emissary from the Christian army goes to visit Saladin, leader of the Muslim army.

In this scene, Saladin (Mars) receives the emissary (Venus) as a guest in his tent, because Venus is in *his* sign. In this case, Venus is in Aries, the sign of her detriment. The emissary (Venus) is at a serious disadvantage in Saladin's (Mars) tent, because she is in his territory. Mars has the advantage. Venus in detriment has nothing to offer Mars because there is no mutual reception; so in this case, Mars has the power to decide whether to treat Venus as a guest, or throw her out of the tent.

If there were mutual reception in signs where there was some dignity, it would be more of an even playing field, like Saladin and the emissary coming to the table with terms of mutual advantage; conversely, if, say, Venus was in Aries and Mars was in Taurus, there would be mutual reception, although in the signs of one another's detriment. This would be like Saladin and the emissary meeting in an open field surrounded by both of their armies, swords drawn. Neither would win an argument; it is bad for both of them.

In this particular chart, however, the advantage was to Saladin/Mars.

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,
AG

SagiCap

If there were mutual reception in signs where there was some dignity, it would be more of an even playing field

But Venus being in Cap here has Triplicity, and depending on the degree, could have Term too, no? Would this be a form of mutual reception?

astroner

This is how it always work for me based on real life experiences as far as feelings go. For example, I'm falling really hard for a "friend" of mine, but I have a deep intuitive feeling that he doesn't exactly feel the same way about me at all. Even though he says he cares, his actions state otherwise.

His significator - Venus in Capricorn
Mine - Mars in Virgo

There you have it. Mars is exalted in Capricorn, which means I have deep loving feelings for him, and Venus is in fall in Virgo, which means he does not feel the same way about me at all. I'm in a sign where he doesn't feel comfortable in at all, Venus doesn't thrive in Virgo - he gets nothing out of being in Virgo [where Mars is in this chart], whereas in contrast he's in a sign where I feel very, very comfortable in..Mars LOVES being in Capricorn. That's how I always interpret it =).

There are people here who believe it is the other way around, but it has never worked that way at all for me before. :pouty:

Last edited:

virgo18

His significator - Venus in Capricorn
Mine - Mars in Virgo

There you have it. Mars is exalted in Capricorn, which means I have deep loving feelings for him, and Venus is in fall in Virgo, which means he does not feel the same way about me at all. =).

There are people here who believe it is the other way around, but it has never worked that way at all for me before. :pouty:

By experience I've noticed that works the other way around: Venus in Capricorn cares much more about Mars, and will do anything to please Mars, while Mars doesn't reciprocate at all so Venus in Cap will resent it.

It's like "one way relationship" where one of the partners give a lot while the other just receive, feels flattered do nothing in return.

In this case I would say that Mars do like Venus of course, but Venus cares much more, (have deeper feelings towards Mars, while Mars can be kinda b!tchy and aloof because he knows that Venus would do anything to please him surely.

I think this kind of reception is common in relationships where the planet in domicile of the other is taked for granted.

Other example:

him- Mercury in Gemini
her- Jupiter in Gemini

Here we don't only have the guy in a strong and dignified position just receiving and doing nothing in return for the woman, we also have someone who puts himself first being in it's own 1st house.
The guy do likes the woman but he TAKES HER FOR GRANTED! Here she needs to leave the guy and maybe things can switch the other way around if she reads this awful but useful book "Why men love b!tches" whajajaja. if not, just leave him.

edit:
Mercury does not love Jupiter at all and not necessarily likes Jupiter physically, it can just means that he benefits from her attitude towards him. But definitely he doesn't love her, while she do loves the guy for sure. Shameful situation for her

Last edited:

IleneK

Premium Member
By experience I've noticed that works the other way around: Venus in Capricorn cares much more about Mars, and will do anything to please Mars, while Mars doesn't reciprocate at all so Venus in Cap will resent it.

Traditional astrology would say that Mars received Venus in Capricorn, because Venus is in the sign that Mars exalts. Venus is averse to Mars, adversely receives Mars, because Mars is clothed in the sign of Venus' fall.

Reception as presented by John Frawley is the opposite; like you describe above. I began by using Frawley, but found I prefer the first, more traditional approach. I would note however that there are a number of very skillful horary astrologers on this forum who follow Frawley's definition.

I suppose what I would recommend is to consistently use the method that you prefer and follow your results to see if they satisfy you.