requires verification :smile:

because
times are recorded AFTER the event
and frequently are based on Memory
anecdotal evidence
as well as on human error
such as clocks being fast or slow

This was said, "
If I'm going to read someone's chart, I always put aside my personal biases and read it with complete purity.
Yikes. It would take a Leo to think they can just "put aside" their inherent personal biases and achieve "complete purity". lol

Actually, I am a Leo and an astrologer. Sometimes, one wants to respond or read a chart...interpret...but it is up to the astrologer to put the chart aside is they are tired, angry at something or someone; if it ''hits a sore spot'' or if the question is in the form of a confrontation or if one needs to look something up (as in an ephemeris) ---and the book or reference is not near....
it is VERY important to NOT begin to reply unless totally prepared. It isn't fair to the inquirer to give a rushed reading.
LIN

CapAquaPis

Astrology is a para-science based on guesses, estimates and theories of what could happen in our lives or in the next day to come, they aren't 100% accurate nor they can be taken literally, and you can't use astrology to determine whether the person you (or getting to) know is a "good" or "bad" person.

david starling

This was said, "

Yikes. It would take a Leo to think they can just "put aside" their inherent personal biases and achieve "complete purity". lol

Actually, I am a Leo and an astrologer. Sometimes, one wants to respond or read a chart...interpret...but it is up to the astrologer to put the chart aside is they are tired, angry at something or someone; if it ''hits a sore spot'' or if the question is in the form of a confrontation or if one needs to look something up (as in an ephemeris) ---and the book or reference is not near....
it is VERY important to NOT begin to reply unless totally prepared. It isn't fair to the inquirer to give a rushed reading.
LIN

Here's one for a tired, angry, unprepared Sun Leo astrologer--

"After looking at this chart, all I can say is, 'Better luck next lifetime!'". :lol:

JUPITERASC

DO NOT AVOID
keeping in mind
that the TIMING of vast majority of natal charts
requires verification :smile:
because times are recorded AFTER the event
and frequently are based on Memory
anecdotal evidence
as well as on human error
such as clocks being fast or slow
clearly
reliable delineation is dependent on reliable data :)
and so unless time of birth is reliable - delineation is not dependable

Humanitarian

Here's one for a tired, angry, unprepared Sun Leo astrologer--

"After looking at this chart, all I can say is, 'Better luck next lifetime!'". :lol:
Hey DS! This saying is definity Leonian dominant to me too, because everyone have opportunities in their lives and this "astrologer" look at their own lives and project it to others
Notes. I'm too Aquarian to begin with, so maybe I have an Aquarian bias

david starling

Hey DS! This saying is definity Leonian dominant to me too, because everyone have opportunities in their lives and this "astrologer" look at their own lives and project it to others
Notes. I'm too Aquarian to begin with, so maybe I have an Aquarian bias

Just recognizing that you may have an Aquarian bias is Aquarian.

JUPITERASC

Don't be clever. An don't generalise. That is my biggest 'don'ts.'

generalisation is tempting
fun
but

unreliable :)
The chart is a map after all and people more complex than black-and-white categories that do not recognise the full totality of a human being. The 'I know you better than you know yourself' just ***** when it comes across - trust me. It is not pleasant to be on the receiving end of that from someone who is more interested in proving that they are right than helping you o make sense of your chart - and your life. When you are clever and full of the brilliance of your ideas, you then lose empathy with the client.

Unfortunately most of the thought behind astrology plays right into that trap, IMHO. I took to astrology like a duck to water at one stage, but there was a one-sidedness in the way it is applied really put me off in the end, and it still does. It involves more in the way of beliefs than is often acknowledged - I feel - and to openly challenge some tenets can quickly end up with not being part of the Inner Circle. And then again, astrology is not an accepted science anyway - I had a successful course axed once, because the sceptics at the uni did not want their undergraduates having 'astrology' as a valide module in their degrees. So now, I follow with inerest the direction a lot of post-modernist inquiry may take astrology, along with what researchers like Garry Phillipson are up to.

Tracy Marks wrote a long list about the ways astrology can be misapplied, she was particularly good at challenging 'doomed, doomed, I say' prognostications, and also the ways it can be misapplied during consultations. Her list includes hiding behind jargon 'your Saturn on my Moon' instead of discussing the reality of the more painful aspects of that experience, needing to be needed (but then many a doctor, dentist and shrink may have done that to keep the rent coming in, let along being titillated by the role of astrologer), powermongering, sense of alienation that being cognisant of a special 'language' may bring in its wake - anyway, probably a lot of people know here astrology can be used as a double-edged sword

Lin

WOW....I have to say that I have never been so insulted in so many ways....catagorized...(and by the way that is a rule too...without a full chart it's an astrological sin to categorize by sun sign.....I believe)... merely by my revealing my sun sign......

After about a year of giving readings it IS possible to keep your personal biases and philosophies out of it. IF you believe it is your duty to your client to discuss them...and not proselytize regarding their own beliefs.

And HERE is the way to do it: when you sense ---and being very 8th house I am sensitive to my own biases and feelings and history regarding most areas of life - I stop the recording and I let the person know that I am digressing to tell them a personal position on a subject...or discuss other clients (anonymously) with their same issues....on let them know that at THAT time I am speaking personally...as an individual...
SO...then I put the recording back on and we continue with the reading.
And I let my students know that this is a VERY big issue...no matter what their experiences have been with this or that person's sun sign, it takes reading the entire chart to be objective....or at least as much as possible.

Perhaps it is a talent I have...I don't know...but the moment I feel the need to insert something personal I am aware of it.

I NEVER try to convince anyone that astrology is valid. If they come for a reading, they find out for themselves. If it resonates with them, then they come to their own conclusions.

If the person is "on the fence" I let them know that if they feel astrology could be helpful in their own lives then they should read a couple of books I always tell my new students to use. AND then they must begin trying to read charts of friends and relatives if that person is open to it. AND I always tell new students to ALWAYS let the person know they are BEGINNERS and their reading may only be 50% accurate. ANd that they are learning....they are students...not astrologers.

I studied for 8 years before taking my first fee.

When I am NOT accurate I always take the blame...and never blame the astrology. Because I believe astrology is a science and if we misinterpret it it is because humans make mistakes.
I ask the person where and how they found my reading incorrect and look further.

BUT....It is well to remember that because there is a Neptune and a Uranus not ALL readings can be 100% correct...nor do I feel we are "supposed" to be. People must find their own way to navigate their lives...which ARE limited...(because of Saturn and Pluto) to what I call the PARAMETERS of the breadth, length and depth of their particular charts/lives.

We have "free will " within those parameters.

Another rule should be: never be frightening or overly optimistic when giving a reading. Even tho MOST people have a natural
reticence to 'believe" what a stranger tells them, some people will believe anything ....because they believe astrology is an occult gift and like being a psychic. Always read the "middle" way...unless you feel the person is in imminent danger...

Usually the only time I give a real warning is when the person seriously wants a compatibility reading and it is obvious to me that the other person can be dangerous either to their physical, mental or emotional health. And that they are attracted mostly by chemistry and not compatibility.

I have said my piece. There are many other dos and don'ts for a person who wants to seriously read for others. But I will not be back on this thread because I don't "defend" myself as an astrologer. After over 40 years of successful readings, I don't need the approval of strangers who don't know me and to whom I have never given a reading.

LIN :cool: