Chiron as the Ruler of Virgo

FarEastUranus

According to the stars, I'm Virgo sun and Virgo rising. I'd rather refrain from commenting, as I am no expert on the subject of Virgo or Chiron.

Mercury is an awesome God and one that can be easily related. Virgo, on the other hand, has always eluded my understanding. I've always seen it as Diana the Huntress, or the High Priestess in the Tarot card. Either way, there's a spiritual and ethereal quality to it (the virginal side) that's very grounding (due to the earth sign). But she's also quick and perceptive (Mercurial and mutable). I always thought that being a Virgo gives me a big-picture perspective, a sense of order (not necessarily in the mundane world, as most understand Virgo, but searching for the ultimate order in systems and ideas).

No system is perfect, and such is life. We can wreck our brains out until our hair go grey, Virgos will still remain misunderstood. And maybe she doesn't mind it that way.

By the way, I've followed Barbara Hand Clow for some years now, and love her unconventional ideas. But her system of astrology is primarily "channeled" and meant to be understood on a metaphorical level, although she takes her calculations and orbs every bit as seriously as everyone here :bandit:

Last edited:

Claire19

I think that the yin Mercury is valid for connection to Virgo and perhaps Vulcan is also connected as it is very close to the Sun and hardly visible.
The yang Mercury belongs with Gemini and I see him as the nephew of Virgo, the maiden aunt stereotype or spinster that is connected to the 6th house or was in days gone by.

I have a 6th house stellium and Virgo on the 7th house and have never married nor wanted to. Virgo is the independent woman, whole in her self and that is the true meaning of Virgin. The 6th house represents daily rituals and needs such as housing, food and clothing and th animals that provided sustenance such as cows and chickens. Nowadays our small pets are part of the domestic scene and we include them. THe nanny, nurse, organic farmer, the vet, the statistician, the book keeper or the waitress. Virgo likes things correct, neat, tidy, healthy and clean.

FarEastUranus

I think that the yin Mercury is valid for connection to Virgo and perhaps Vulcan is also connected as it is very close to the Sun and hardly visible.
The yang Mercury belongs with Gemini and I see him as the nephew of Virgo, the maiden aunt stereotype or spinster that is connected to the 6th house or was in days gone by.

I have a 6th house stellium and Virgo on the 7th house and have never married nor wanted to. Virgo is the independent woman, whole in her self and that is the true meaning of Virgin. The 6th house represents daily rituals and needs such as housing, food and clothing and th animals that provided sustenance such as cows and chickens. Nowadays our small pets are part of the domestic scene and we include them. THe nanny, nurse, organic farmer, the vet, the statistician, the book keeper or the waitress. Virgo likes things correct, neat, tidy, healthy and clean.

Maiden aunt stereotype or spinster?

Ouch :bandit:

IleneK

Premium Member
I always thought that being a Virgo gives me a big-picture perspective, a sense of order (not necessarily in the mundane world, as most understand Virgo, but searching for the ultimate order in systems and ideas).

I'm Virgo rising, Mercury in Gemini rules my chart. I experience Virgo as highly discriminating, able to separate the wheat from the chaff, and in doing so, creating a sense of order.
But the big-picture perspective and the order of systems and ideas may belong more to Sagittarius, Gemini's polarity, than to Virgo. I wonder your observation might be perhaps a reflection of your natal Jupiter on the MC...?

grkemmer

I think the match works, and reading Chiron's place in mythology I can see Virgo traits all around. Unnecessary sacrifical qualities (which comes from not knowing the worldly ways that good, [ in the story not going as low as the other signs] until one learns to care better about oneself), other-wordliness (Chiron is not a Pantheon God first), most virgos I know doesn't know how to play by the rules first (for actually they are not neeeded, virgo is the most aligned sign with nature, so you don't need tricks, plays, power play but all the other signs see this as the way of life, so Virgo's learn these, better than other signs, and use it, again better, than other signs.) Virgo is about knowing the natural going of things, and when in tune, about manifesting life knowledge. Health is actually life, being aligned with nature in ways that are fit to you, finding your aligned, natural place in nature being able to work it and teach it. Virgo is a lot about manifesting, and manifesting is health. I think Mercurial qualities are an underestimation of virgo, for Virgo is not at all about taking information fastly and turn it into something else, or making it turn into something. Medication is mainly that, it is taking the bacteries, and killing them, turning into something else, it is not a universally aligned way of maintaining natural health. Virgos are fast thinkers only when they are shuting up other people, other than that most virgos I know like going in their natural pace, knowing which comes with living, experiencing the atmosphere also an inner knowing.

Virgo is about being systematic, understanding the system, working them out and being able to confer it. Virgo understanding of healing is natural health, a potential that everybody has in them.

Also, when I see a Gemini person talking, I find so many holes, and can never trust any information they give. The thing about Mercury, Hermes, it is also a god of trickery, it is a messenger and it provides fast communication of energy and knowledge. Virgo on the other hand is a lot more analytical and goes to the main causes to solve them, to heal in a way to make natural health mainted and reassigned. Virgo is a lot about bringing out potential, to be healthy. Create a systematic way of naturally aligned health that comes from inside, and a natural alignment. Also Virgo rules hands, Chiro means hand.

I think Mercury understanding may be a trend for some time, for this is what Virgos need to communicate what's in them better. Maybe the understanding will change when virgos in generations learn to express what's in them better.

Last edited:

grkemmer

Also the ability to see human frailities best, knowing about them, being analytic enough to solve and heal, bein systematic in a healing attitude these all apply to virgo and chiron. Being caring to heal and teach. Most widely used keyword ''service'' is also I think a service both to earth and humanity, mostly in the form of finding out and genuine teaching (of course these qualities are iv more evolved or advanced ones, not in early phases.)

Mercury connection may be integrating these routes or systems into unversal energy lines by connection of earth and air circuits, mrcury being primaly concerned with electric circuits. There is a connection, but Chiron seems a lot more fit especially with chiro-hand connection.

Also in Hercules stories of zodiac signs, Virgo's is mainly disrupting an order wrongly, but being able to heal it systematiclly turning it into a system of healing, this is very much in line with chironic behaviour.

paneagle7

I think the match works, and reading Chiron's place in mythology I can see Virgo traits all around. ..... Create a systematic way of naturally aligned health that comes from inside, and a natural alignment. Also Virgo rules hands, Chiro means hand.
Thank you for comments on VIRGO as CHIRON ruled.

Now we may move to LILITH and Libra. Again, the feminine nature is present in Lilith, both its social and female community and relationship alignments, "girlfriends", and also the Wiccan focus, and evolution of integration and unity balance and equality of Libra, and also the independent mode (opposite of aries) of female initiative such as in medicine, healing or cooperative business efforts (equal pay) and female liberation. Air elements abound in concepts of feminine attributes.

Taurus is so much more Earth and neutral, for Venus to be it's main ruler as a planetary body, its high chemical composition, for example, and it's yearly cycle as movement with the Earth and Mercury. The strength of body of Taurus for example and its related earthy qualities. I would not deny Venus as a co-ruler of Libra, nor say Mercury is not Virgo related, but it is appropriate to house these bodies with Virgo of Chiron and Libra of Lilith.

I suspect Lilith is active now in combination with Chiron, as it appears worldly as the needed movement for Equal Education in the Middle East and Pakistan.

Claire19

Although I take your points on Lilith it is not a major planet after all and the zodiac signs need that as ruler. So although I think Venus is ruler of Libra I dont think it is ruler of Taurus. It is connected maybe as co ruler but the planet I think should be Earth. There was a planet in mythology called Pan Horus which may have exploded and that could be it. Same with Virgo I am sure the ruler is not really Mercury but could be a small planet called Vulcan/Icarus really close to the Sun.

waybread

Do you mean Lilith the asteroid or Lilith as a point on the moon's orbit?

Rulership in astrology is much more than a question of simple planet-sign affinity. It has to work for house cusp rulers (lord) and horary astrology, for starters. Also you can't show the earth in a horoscope unless you use a sun-centred chart. The position of the earth is always opposite the sun.

There is no planet Vulcan. There is an asteroid called Icarus.

Claire19

Until we establish whether Chiron is a planet then it cant really rule a sign but it may be connected with Virgo and then again maybe Ceres is.

I have a feeling that there is a small undiscovered or unseen planet called Vulcan/Icarus from myth that may be the ruler of Virgo. It is close to Mercury which currently rules the sign now but that may be only co ruler in effect. Virgo is the aunt or uncle and Gemini is the brother or sister.

VirgoLibraDaze

I would posit a few things. I am a Virgo, and I definitely have an intuitive hunch, if you will, that Chiron rules Virgo. But I am no authority on the matter, and I lack enough experience with the wealth of astrological data available to really argue the case.

On the contrary, I would like to present some ideas for why Mercury fits the idea of rulership of Virgo, at least as far as the traditional rulerships go.

There are a few things we need to clarify about Virgo, about earth, and about Mercury in order for these ideas to fit together. Let's begin with Virgo.

Virgo. Mutable earth. What type of earth is mutable, changeable, reconfigurable? That type of earth is clay. It can be molded to any form, and then, so long as it has not been fired, it can be remolded into another form, almost infinitely. As someone who has worked with clay as an art medium, I can tell you that there is a certain mixture of elasticity and solidity that is preferable for working with clay. Too moist, too elastic, and it won't hold shape; too dry, too solid and brittle, and it will crumble (also not holding shape). So we have the image now of Virgo as clay.

Earth is the most receptive of elements. Some would challenge this idea and say that water is more receptive; however, if you mold water into a form, a container, and then remove the container, it does not hold the shape. It again returns to fluidity (with the exception of ice or fixed water, but even that is only temporary). It has not received fully the idea that was impressed upon it by the form. Earth can be molded into a form, a container, and upon removal of the container, the earth maintains the shape. It has fully received and maintained the impression or the idea of the form. Therefore, it is more receptive. (This idea also gives validity to the idea of earth signs as more stubborn than others. Once they've received an idea, it's more work to remold them.) Also, on a molecular level, a substance in solid form (earth) has the least amount of space between atoms. The transmission of energy from one atom to another happens quickly. From thought to emotion to form quite rapidly. This would be why we see earth signs as being rather intuitive. They "just know" things or they "just act", but couldn't tell you why. They don't have the luxury of enough distance from a thought form in order to see it coming, like the kind of foresight or imagination we see in the air signs. Though with Virgo, being of a somewhat more fluid nature in a mutable modality, they can get that sort of lost-in-thought or spacey quality more likely to be observed in water signs, especially Pisces. The earth perspective is not from the position of one sending a message, but more at the one receiving the message. They're not dialing the numbers on the phone, the phone just rings and they answer. They don't decide to make the call, they can, however, choose to complete it.

Mercury. As a planet, it governs travel and change. As a substance, it is not unlike a very watery clay or slurry in that it is both metal (earthy) and liquid, defying most understandings of either substance. (It would seem this idea of defying understanding is a theme for Virgo.) Add to that the lore of Mercury, the god, who was hermaphroditic, neither male nor female, yet both. Some would say, at least anecdotally, that many men who are Virgo natives exhibit more receptive/feminine qualities and that many women in Virgo exhibit a more aggressive/masculine nature. (E.g.: the sissy-boy male Virgo or the strong-willed female Virgo who often gets labeled as a *****).

Taking these ideas together, we have to ask ourselves, what sort of change or travel occurs with earth? Transmutation. While it is not the transmission-of-thought kind of travel that we see with airy Gemini, it is the transmission of energy into physical form. That would certainly be a good quality for anyone hoping to cause healing. It is the movement of emotion (the prefix e- meaning forward, so e-motion is forward movement) outward into physical expression. It's the delivery of the message. They hear the phone ringing, and they answer, thus completing the transmission.

Virgo does have a dual nature. I would see her as both mother and daughter, as someone posted earlier. I know astrology doesn't really relate to Christian ideas, necessarily, but if we can use the mythology of the Greeks and Romans, why not the mythology of the Christians? In this way, I see Virgo as the Virgin Mary. Both virgin and mother. Pure and caring. An expression of love for love's sake. It would also make some sense, as some have undoubtedly heard here and there of the idea that Jesus was a Pisces, correlating with transcendence and martyrdom. Are they two sides of the same coin as are Virgo and Pisces?

But I digress. I hope I have given a clearer picture as to how Mercury could rule Virgo. I absolutely believe in the dualistic expression of every idea, so the traditional planetary rulers being split between one masculine sign and one feminine sign makes sense. There is also the idea of the outer planets, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto - and Chiron - as being rulers of a collective consciousness and outside of our ego or personal control. This idea has me thinking more broadly in terms of duality. What if there are co-rulers to each sign? So it's not that Pluto has supplanted Mars as ruler of Scorpio, but that one is of a personal nature and one is of a more collective nature? Mercury could be the "personal" ruler of Virgo, or the ruler of those parts which are incorporated into ego identity, and Chiron could be the "collective" ruler of Virgo, or the ruler of those parts which affect society, or things that cannot be fully kept under egoic control because they are not our to control. If that be the case, then it's really a moot point to argue rulership because each sign would have two, in which case, just think of all the possibilities for planets that are to be discovered or of which asteroids/planetoids might be assigned a rulership. It's such an expansive thought, one that has me connected to my inner Pisces. :)

Namaste to all.

Last edited:

Claire19

I am inclined to go with Vulcan as he was the craftsman or the forger in fire, in legend and this body is close to Mercury and may actually be the twin planet which would fit. Being so tiny and close to the sun makes it quite indistinguishable but that shouldnt rule it out. There are those who claim to come from Vulcan but that is a whole other story....and it has always been around in legend. Especially connected to the hearth and the central fire of the home for cooking food i.e. Vulcan heaters and fire lighters.. .

Virgo rules the 6th of handiwork, crafts and producing goods for everyday use. food, clothing and shelter. I have a stellium in the 6th house and would dearly love to resolve the dilemma. Is Chiron is even valid as it is not a planet and its nature is not certain even with the experts in it. I would prefer Ceres, the celestial body in connection to Virgo, if we are going to connect other than major planets to the myth.

Interesting question.

Ronlof

Chiron is not the modern ruler of Virgo for many reasons. Ceres is more likely one of the rulers of Virgo, the leader of the Asteroid Belt which is heavily Virgoan, Libran, and Scorpion. Ceres, a planet just like Pluto, and actually spherical unlike Chiron, meaning that Ceres has far more significant gravity; literally has more weight in our System than Chiron. Ceres is significantly larger and closer to Earth than Chiron, and has a stable orbit than Chiron. Chiron and the other Centaurs (Pholus, Nesses, Chariklo, etc) link energies and are transformational energies more akin to Scorpio and Pisces. The Centaurs are likely transitional energies and due to their erratic orbits will likely leave our solar system or become absorbed by other planets in a few million years, meaning we will eventually evolve passed their energies once they're incorporated. Ceres' energy is far more inline with Virgo and the 6th House. Chiron's energy is more closely a combination of Scorpio and Sagittarius and it links the realms of Saturn and Uranus. Chiron's transformational process helps bring Uranus' energy into reality (Saturn).

Last edited:

Humanitarian

I'm with you, Lapis.

We're all having to keep up - Chiron is dragging us kicking and screaming....
It makes a grand trine now with my Mars, Sun and Quaoar, even conjunct my natal Eris at 20 deg Aries, and he transforms me, like what Pluto would do...

Claire19

Eris is not a legitimate planet connected to the zodiac for us nor is Quaoar. Chiron is not a planet, maybe an asteroid, there is no general consensus of opinion about it.... and there are myths that have grown up around it and books sold. I would rather say that Vulcan rules Virgo for many reasons.. There is not much info on it but I include it in my chart and see how it operates. Vulcan is small, close to the Sun like Mercury which some say rules Virgo but Mercury is yang and rules Gemini which is air and Virgo is Earth and yin.

waybread

Vulcan is not a real astronomical planet but it is used as a hypothetical point in Uranian astrology.

Eris is a real (dwarf) planet but it moves v.e.r.y... slowly.

Mercury rules Virgo because back in Sumerian times, the planet Mercury was affiliated with a goddess called Nisaba or Nidaba who ruled grain stores, scribes, and probably astrology.

FraterAC

Eris is a dwarf planet and TNO. I've been watching it for years, and it is real and has influence. In another thread I showed how it appeared, in appropriate ways, in the charts of a number of historical events. It also works in nativities.
Whether anyone else agrees or pays any attention to it or not is up to them.

Humanitarian

Vulcan is not a real astronomical planet but it is used as a hypothetical point in Uranian astrology.

Mercury rules Virgo because back in Sumerian times, the planet Mercury was affiliated with a goddess called Nisaba or Nidaba who ruled grain stores, scribes, and probably astrology.

Vulcan and Vulcanus are 2 different hypothetical planets, Vulcan isn't generally used by Uranian astrological school, but it's used in Esoteric Astrology, and Vulcanus is a hypothetical planet used by Uranian Astrology

Humanitarian

I checked my natal chart to see if Chiron works for being a house cusp ruler, and that's a yes for me, because Chiron is my 4th house cusp ruler according to Barbara Hand Clow (since my 4th house cusp is in Virgo), and I have Chiron in 9th house Aquarius, and I'm a biracial person myself! (My genetics are very diverse)