Astro-Agriculture

franklin taylor

Hello All,
Agri-Astrology is a branch of astrology that I have embrace from an early age as well primarily because of my interest in agriculture since childhood. If you knew my natal chart you could put it together easily. My 6th house Cancer emphasis (Cancer rules agriculture), My Aquarius Rising rules agriculture (as a scienitific interest) not many know that, but agriculture is another popular occupation for Aquarian Sun natives. I have had experience as a rancher (Beef and Lamb), I have raised blueberries on a semi-commercial level only around a half acre of them. I also am part of the Master Gardener program with my county extension agency. Anyhow, I have seen it in action and its probably one of the most observable types of astrology because it works with one of our most power terrestrial influences.... the Moon in the Signs.
To begin, I have seen livestock killed when they have been castrated in the wrong Moon sign. I always castrated my calves when the Moon sign was in the legs or feet. (Aquarius or Pisces.) They bleed very little I never used a band method considered it a long and painful means, (you are strangling the blood supply to the scrotum and testicles OUCH), plus the tools were expensive. I used a very sharp knife. Quickly done and over hehe. My calves NEVER had a bleeding problem which is expected when you go by the signs. The man who lost 4 out 10 calves I mentioned, castrated his calves when the Moon was in the Heart (Leo). They bleed out more often when you do this, and this was the case for him. To beat all, he normally followed the signs but he had to do it on more of a level of time convience than a Moon convience that time around. Something he paid for dearly unfortunately(cattle market values, and profit margins were about nonexistent at the time early and mid 80's). The further the Moon is away from the heart the better.
One can use the Moon signs for maintenace of their gardens or plantings. I had several different varieties of blueberry plant varieties. Some developed too much vegetative growth during the growing season, a variety called 'Blueray' in particular. When I started performing my annual pre-spring pruning in accordance to the Moon Signs. I spread my pruning over the days in late February and early March in line with the Moon Signs when these signs were present in the time period. The varieties I wanted to retard the growth of for the following season I pruned on days the Moon sign was in was in semi-fruitful signs Earth (except Taurus Venus rulership exception) and semifruitful Air signs (Libra) opposed to fruitful (Water)and barren signs (Fire) and other Air signs. Use Barren signs only if you want to kill something such as weeds. I usually went with Capricorn (Semi-fruitful) and Libra (Venus rulership again, and the most fruitful Air Sign), I could get a handle of excessive growth. With the blueberry varieties that didn't grow excessively here I used the days the Moon sign was in the Water element (all fruitful) period. Time scheduling worked well because I would try to put in consecutive days and I'd start at Libra for retarding excessive growth varieties, then Scorpio for fruitful growth, then Capricorn for retarding if they didn't all get done in Libra. Then in Pisces to finish the ones which I wanted to encourage growth. I had 625 plants on a little more than a half acre as an FFA (Future Farmers of America) project beginning in the 8th grade, so it took a little while to prune (especially only if you did it weekends or after school hehe). Generally my brother and I worked it alone but my father, farming calendars, The Old Farmers Almanac lent the advice. My father especially so, for he brought what was on paper to life, in a world of naysayers concerning anything astrological (Bible Belt). But many old farmers I knew of, who would consider astrology applied to man as an abomination out of one side of their mouths, would easily confer to the Moon Signs out the other side of their mouth. In order to plant, operate on their animals, or dozens of other useful tibits that, when used, Moon Sign Astrology can improve the farmers productiveness. I was fairly familiar with it before Natal astrology
Take Care,
Franklin

freedomlover

Wonderful article, Franklin!

It brought back many memories for me. I was born and raised in the mountains of West Virginia. All the "old-timers" raised their gardens by the moon signs. I remember the big calendars that the local hardware and seed stores passed out for free. They had the change of the moon signs on them, and what area of the body the particular sign ruled, and I think some other information that I can't remember.

This was probably my first introduction to astrology, as well. Something triggered my interest to start checking out library books on astrology by the time I was in grade school.

Anyway, the practice isn't as common as it used to be, but there are still quite a few people that raise their gardens by the moon signs. My ex-husband's family still does, and have taught some of this to my daughter, who helps in the garden.

I have often wondered if agricultural production would be increased significantly if all farmers went by the moon. Just your example of the calves being lost by castrating in the wrong sign of the moon is a good indicator that the answer would be yes. I wonder how many crops have had poor harvests for the same reasons.

Thanks again for a wonderful article on a subject that deserves more recognition.

franklin taylor

Hi Freedom,
Thanks! My grandparents followed them too. They were cotton sharecroppers at the mercy of a landlord just as their parents had been. They also planted and harvested by using the Moon phases as well. Especially their root crops. My grandmother sometimes made referrals to human astrology in her phrases about my grandfather hehe. Although in my 27 years knowing her she never said a cuss word but she had a record of being vengeful. When some of the kids had upset her bad enough with disobediant behaviour she would "let it slide" for the moment if she didn't have time to deal with them, but when the kid had went to bed that night she would wake them up as she was "thrashing them". It happened at least once to all of them and more to some I guess LOL. I always honored her even as a child, she never whipped me, but some of the other grandchildren weren't as lucky or as honorable to her. She was a Taurus Sun with an Aries Moon. Grandpa was a Libra Sun Sagittarius Moon. My father believed in human astrology too but he believed in luck, curses, and Hexs as well. He would spit over his left shoulder when a black cat crossed his path lol.
Take Care
Franklin

sam

Really interesting, Franklin. I have heard of using astrology in conjunction with farming but had no idea it was so widely used.

One question, do you use the tropical zodiac? I am actually quite the plant enthusiast myself (the house is loaded with houseplants) and have considered incorporating astrology into my dealings with plants, but I've heard conflicting views about which zodiac to use.

franklin taylor

Hi Sam,
It is tropical zodiac almanacs made in America I've use. Its mainly among older folks practicing it and I don't farm at the moment and not that old hehe. Am in an agricultural venture right now but it keeps getting delayed (My Natal Sun is being transited by Saturn explains a lot) I don't know if future farmers will pay it any heed or not. It works though. Don't be troubled about differing astrological methods, for there will always be differing opinions about astrology, religion, or any aspect of life as long as there are different; cultures, races, creeds, orientations, and life experiences in the world. You probably realize that already, just thought I say it. hehe. There is always a different point of view out there of which each person is trully entitled to eh?
Take Care.
Franklin