When discovering career/job don't look towards the 6th house!

sandstone

Banned
if you are into the older views, another consideration would be planetary sect conferring strength in a direction... is the chart diurnal or nocturnal and how does this play into it all? there are many considerations to all of this.. reading charts of dead people can be informative, or even old people who have lived their life and had there careers... astrology is complex.......anyone capable of making it look simple will have been doing it for a long while.....

Claire19

I agree with you 110%, retinoid.

Why on Earth would anyone want to look toward the 6th for....well, anything except a small animal? It doesn't signify anything that most people really like or want; things like sickness, ill health, toil, labor, slavery, indentured service, and...of course, small animals like pets
which is it's only saving grace as a house.

Also, the house itself is disjoint from the Ascendant, offering nothing to the native of good report, generally.

The 10th, on the other hand, is the zenith, the highest point in the chart and it towers above the Ascendant and aspects it as well. The Sun, for one, is at it's highest and brightest here, for heavens sake. And, the 11th house is only more fortunate in the fact that anything here can only ascend to the 10th which is why it is the house of assistance and hopes and wishes. Whereas, anything in the 6th can only fall. Manilius describes this.

Yes, I believe I would much rather guide someone to their 10th rather than the 6th...we all have enough of that already.
As I am a 6th house stellium person I feel you are trivialising it. Not everyone has 10th house significance or have careers. Most of us have to work or find a way to meet our practical needs. As we live on Earth we have to deal with the practical everyday matters such as food, clothing and shelter that the 6th denotes. Small domestic animals such as those that give sustenance is the old meaning along with slavery but now it encompasses pets as well as our day to day work or rituals..

The 11th house denotes income from our career and it is hopes and wishes. It is the house of group associates and human rights amongst other things.

Last edited:

Claire19

a good example of this triangle playing out in a persons life in relation to there career is whitney houston.. thoughts anyone?
http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Houston,_Whitney
Yes Whitney has Leo Sun Venus in the 6th. Classic for performing arts as her work. Trine Moon and Jupiter ruler of MC in the 2nd of income earned and talents. Her undoing was her very heavy Neptune in the 8th Scorpio. It is surprising that the 10th house is empty but the ruler tells the story. SHe may have felt that it was work rather than a vocation. Her strong Virgo may support that.

Last edited:

Claire19

if you are into the older views, another consideration would be planetary sect conferring strength in a direction... is the chart diurnal or nocturnal and how does this play into it all? there are many considerations to all of this.. reading charts of dead people can be informative, or even old people who have lived their life and had there careers... astrology is complex.......anyone capable of making it look simple will have been doing it for a long while.....
I keep a complex science as simple as possible. No fixed stars, asteroids, use the outer planets and forget all the nocturnal and diurnal stuff. I usually find the answers but I have been doing it all, a long long while.

Claire19

Yeah I also have Mars at 29 degrees Libra in the 6th. Those planets are in Scorpio. It is nice having a slightly debilitated mars in the sixth because I usually don't get into fights in the work place which is supposed to be the hall mark of Mars in the 6th :biggrin:
I hear you on the Mars in Libra, I have it too. I dont use terms such as debilitation or exaltation, I find them misleading. Mars in Libra tends to
avoid conflict and has a drive for equality and accord. Can get mad when injustice is done but will try to be fair and equitable and to see all sides. Ideal for legalities. Again to cite just one planet in a house without looking at the whole chart is just cookbook astrology and no art or expertise in that.

retinoid

YOu are being rather contradictory and the 6th does point to what work we do and how we do it also our co workers and what we do to get the bread on the table. It is the house of service and everyday need and rituals. In the old days it was the slavery area and some people do still tend to regard their occupations as slavery.

. The career is our vocation and seen in the 10th. Not everyone has a career and many only have a 6th house job. Fortunate is the person whose everyday work is their chosen vocation and career. They would have connections with the 6th and the 10th in aspect.

My point is, if someone asks what career would be best for me, don't look at the 6th house. For ME I look at both, but I look at the 6th at how you would like to do things either through creativity, fun, relationships, routine, status, dealing with the public, extreme circumstances, etc.

retinoid

I hear you on the Mars in Libra, I have it too. I dont use terms such as debilitation or exaltation, I find them misleading. Mars in Libra tends to
avoid conflict and has a drive for equality and accord. Can get mad when injustice is done but will try to be fair and equitable and to see all sides. Ideal for legalities. Again to cite just one planet in a house without looking at the whole chart is just cookbook astrology and no art or expertise in that.

Yes the Mars in Libra is definitely actually HELPFUL to me. I don't get into any fights with people and if I get angry I can usually keep the anger down and not explode. Which as I look back i am glad I kept quiet...

My Mars is in 29 degrees which supposedly further suppresses Mars energy. So this is good or bad. Dr farr said my mars is in the 5th house and not the 6th...I don't really identify strongly with either. Perhaps cause my Mars is weak. But I do like to gamble so perhaps he is right :tongue:

Annette1029

I understand my job from 6th house better,it's ruled by mercury(gemini),mercury is in 11th house,i need something deeper than just finish daily job.I do a part-time job at work too.mercury conjunct saturn,my job has certain pattern,very repeat...mercury sextile mars,i don't know how does this show in my job.maybe i do everything really fast!
I don't feel satisfied with my job though,i think it's because i don't get my 10th house well?My MC is libra,10th house libra,venus in 10th house conjunct MC very tight,sextile uranus,trine jupiter(a little wide 7 degree).I have no idea what kind job fit this?I am not interested in fashion or art.I'm interested in language n research,interested idea about human/life,or something creative.

NeoWarrior83

I read before somewhere that the career/job you are going to do in your lifetime can be found too in the 12th house, the one of the unknown, the occult/secrets and the unconsciousness. I have my natal Libra Sun in that house and I love working with the underprivileged people. I'm a Clinical Social Worker by the way.:wink:

Last edited:

retinoid

I read before somewhere that the career/job you are going to do in your lifetime can be found too in the 12th house, the one of the unknown, the occult/secrets and the unconsciousness. I have my natal Libra Sun in that house and I love working with the underprivileged people. I'm a Clinical Social Worker by the way.:wink:

Interesting. The 12th house is a really cool house. In my EXPERIENCE, the planets and the ruler of the 12th affects us very much because it is the house of our last incarnation...I never looked at it from a career stand point though.

Wames

i don't think you missed anything.. often times there will be no planet in the midheaven at which point there are a number of options available to explore... the 2/6 have a connection to the midheaven via the triangle and this would be one of a few possibilities to consider in the grand scheme of things...

judith miller has a book out called vocational astrology and she refers to these 3 as connected to one's vocation as well.. she refers to them as the vocational houses related to livelihood..

i suppose i am playing a minor role of devils advocate to the thread here.. something i have a fondness for......

Hey sandstone,

My best friend/soulmate has had her 6th house/Mars profession going on for about 20 years now. She was in the Marine Corps from age 18-21. She worked in security/surveillance for 10 years. She was a certified armorer for 5 years, also certified as a firearms instructor. And now she is a police officer. Her Mars in Aries/6th house doesn't aspect the MC, only by house. She has a Leo MC with her Sun conjunct Neptune in trine aspect to the MC from the 2nd house. Her Mars in 6th (also her first house ruler), describes the physically demanding work environment and the only problem I see with it is her tendency to overwork, sometimes putting in 18 hr days. Her chart:

Attachments

• astro_2gw_07_m_29975_755.gif
    astro_2gw_07_m_29975_755.gif
    47 KB · Views: 32

lpfiver

for me I think the 6th house is more of a daily perceptive we have for the job and not only a job, but other routines. 6th house is like your actions you make for the job and how other people see you do it.

JUPITERASC

From the perspective of an employer, then 6th is most definitely related to career since it's significations include employees, tenants and servants.

ALSO remember that the type of employment is an important factor i.e. William Lilly specifically mentions day-laborers, farmers and shepherds are 6th house.

So, when a day-laborer = e.g. being employed on a temporary basis on a building site THEN that IS 6th house and work - not so much a 'career'

.... UNLESS the day-laborer is self-employed and themselves are employing others - in that case 6th IS related to 'career'

And although not everyone works on a farm or with sheep - many do - in some countries more so than others and so in today's world a 'shepherd' may have a career as a sheep farmer

Ivy Goldstein-Jacobson mentions that the 6th signifies those who live on the native's property, such as caretakers, au-pairs, lodgers

AND SO IF one's income is derived from lodgers then 6th IS related to career as landlord - some landlords are wealthy.

For au-pairs then 6th is 'work' as distinct from 'career'.

So it's a good idea to include/consider the 6th when considering career - dependent on the specific career :smile:

charmvirgo

And although not everyone works on a farm or with sheep - many do - in some countries more so than others and so in today's world a 'shepherd' may have a career as a sheep farmer :smile:

What you are saying is that the act of looking after the sheep is a 6th house matter, but in doing so the shepherd also serves in society which makes it a career at the same time and a 10th house matter. (Which still gives their separate meanings to the 6th and 10th house with work as interpersonal and career as outerpersonal physical expressions). Also at the same time doing this brings financial gain to the shepherd as a personal 2nd house matter.

This is a good example of how all of the Earth element works together - thanks for explaining it like this JA, you make it clearer.

Yes I see.

You could do menial work that isn't a career which would be covered by the 6th house, but if you do that work on a large scale as a business then it is 10th and career. Any gain from either would be 2nd house.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

What you are saying is that the act of looking after the sheep is a 6th house matter, but in doing so the shepherd also serves in society which makes it a career at the same time and a 10th house matter. (Which still gives their separate meanings to the 6th and 10th house with work as interpersonal and career as outerpersonal physical expressions). Also at the same time doing this brings financial gain to the shepherd as a personal 2nd house matter.

This is a good example of how all of the Earth element works together - thanks for explaining it like this JA, you make it clearer.
To clarify then:

The act of 'shepherding' sheep has changed over the past few hundred years! :smile:

Today's 'shepherd' is a sheep farmer owning vast quantities of land

THEREFORE in the specific case of someone who is for example, a New Zealand sheep farmer THEN that is definitely a 'career' - as well as work of course

JUPITERASC

Yes I see.

You could do menial work that isn't a career which would be covered by the 6th house, but if you do that work on a large scale as a business then it is 10th and career. Any gain from either would be 2nd house.
Exactly, there are usually multiple layers of meaning :smile:
ALSO Wames gave a good example earlier on the thread of a 6th house Mars that is clearly connected to the profession.

Natal charts vary. In this case notice that 6th house Aries Mars is connected to profession BECAUSE MC/10th is Leo AND Leo is the natural home aka domicile of the Sun AND the Sun is Exalted in Aries.

SO 6th House Mars in 6th house of menial, service work is located in the Exalted home of the Sun, while Sun is RULER of 10th and/or MC and career and Sun is located in 2nd house of earned income

Mars also Joys in 6th

PLANETARY JOYS source:
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/horary1e.html

joys.gif

Hey sandstone,
My best friend/soulmate has had her 6th house/Mars profession going on for about 20 years now.

She was in the Marine Corps from age 18-21. She worked in security/surveillance for 10 years.

She was a certified armorer for 5 years, also certified as a firearms instructor.

And now she is a police officer.

Her Mars in Aries/6th house doesn't aspect the MC, only by house. She has a Leo MC with her Sun conjunct Neptune in trine aspect to the MC from the 2nd house.

Her Mars in 6th (also her first house ruler), describes the physically demanding work environment and the only problem I see with it is her tendency to overwork, sometimes putting in 18 hr days. Her chart:

aquarius7000

Hi,

Interesting discussion. Here are some my thoughts.

When to look at the 10th house?
>when you are looking at career, for career-direction - what trade to get into. Even if that is shepherding. Then that is your trade, your career.
>when you are looking for pointers of success in career; whether you are going to rise in your trade

When to look at the 6th house
>when you want to know what your attitude towards your daily work is like, or how you work on a day-to-day level. Since even career is made up of a certain routine, the 6th will throw some light on that

Technically speaking, everybody serves somebody. Even Pr. Obama serves the state/the nation. However, if he has his Sun in the 6th, then the day-to-day functioning, perhaps even the tid-bits that make up his routine could be very important to him- to his person (much more than we might expect such things to have such an importance for a president), and he might worry about them in the petty (Virgo) sense (though he has many to worry about that for him). I also believe that planets aspecting the MC should not be ignored. They have a bearing on the career. The Sun in the 6th may show the native lays a lot of stress on his routine - is particular about it. The Sun from the 6th trining the 10th can help the same native to 'shine' in his career, and bring him success there. Certainly planets aspecting the Asc are extremely important, the Asc being directly the 'self', and the Asc starts it all. However, I do not think we can deem that the planets aspecting the MC will have no effect on MC-related matters, and can be ignored.

One would never look at the 6th primarily for career. Career clearly belongs to the 10th. That said, the 6th certainly aids in gleaning and giving more information in regard to the career. The 6th house has Virgoan qualities. So, for instance, say for the career of a secretary, the quality to be able to organise, be methodical, and particular about routine would be helpful. Planets in the 6th can hence be a pointer towards this career. The sign on the cusp and its ruling planet can also throw some light on how the person would handle his daily routine, and that in turn might be helpful or hinder a particular career.

:)AQ7

!4C

My observation is that most people, with out any knowledge of astrology, will choose an inspired education/career path that is described by their MC/10th indicators.

The problem is that within any occupation category the working conditions can be dramatically different from job to job. While the ideal work environment for an individual can be determined by examination of their 6th house (and other important houses for work relationships), it is almost impossible to get a good feel for job conditions through job postings and interviews. I've worked a few recruitment activities with a couple companies and I was disgusted by the efforts they made to hide any details they thought might deter prospective hires. So finding a compatible work environment is more trial 'n' error. It can be very discouraging. People make a lot of personal sacrifices to start a new job, only to concluded 3 months in that it was nothing like they expected (for better or worse).

To make matters worse, work availability is driven by supply/demand of our civil-economic systems. My perception is the labor demand profile does not even come close to matching the labor supply profile. A big mismatch means many people will have to work incompatible jobs.

I am not surprised that most career plans fall apart after college. I have met more people that work alternative jobs than those that actually work in their field of first choice.

JUPITERASC

Each astrologer has their own preferred method which is neither right nor wrong but is instead, simply one way chosen from many available alternatives, of delineating a natal chart :smile:

Viewing the chart example posted by Wames at this post http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=383962&postcount=52 and using a method taught by Robert Zoller, notice that the traditional ruler of the Scorpio ascendant is Mars, located in 6th in the exalted home of the Sun.

According to Robert Zoller, the Primary Motivation of the native is indicated by, among other factors, the house and sign location of the Ascendant ruler.

In this case the Scorpio Ascendant traditional ruler is in 6th and therefore the person primarily seeks their Ascendant's need for emotional security (water element) in a fixed, determined way (Scorpio) through being of Service (6th) in a Mars oriented way

QUOTE:
source - Significations of Mars
- http://www.skyscript.co.uk/marsatt.html

“....Mars Manners when well dignified:
In feats of war and courage, invincible, scorning any should exceed him, subject to no reason, bold, confident, immovable, contentious, challenging all honor to themselves, valiant, lovers of war and things pertaining thereunto, hazarding himself to all perils, willingly will obey nobody; nor submit to any; a large reporter of his own acts, one that fights all things in comparison of victory, and yet of prudent behavior in his own affairs....”

“...Mars Manners when badly placed:
Then he is a prattler without modesty or honesty, a lover of slaughter and quarrels, murder, thievery, a promoter of sedition, frays [36] , and commotions, and highway-thief, as wavering as the wind, a traitor, of turbulent spirit, perjurer, obscene, rash, inhumane, neither fearing God or caring for man, unthankful, treacherous, oppressors, ravenous, cheater, furious, violent...”

ALSO in Wames example chart, the ruler of the 6th is in the 6th and so the native's illnesses are 'weak' and his health is therefore in a good state and the person in question has good developed skills and has strength in their servitude. Members of the Military serve their country.

Studying the 6th highlights likely influences on daily work routine aka 'service'
There is more detail on this particular method of natal chart delineation at
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48463