Accuracy of Vedic vs Western in Relational, Synastry

Cypocryphy

I'm affluent in Western astrology, in all its forms, but know little of Vedic or, rather, find that I do not know enough about it to ensure that my interpretation is perfect. With that being said, however, I notice an extremely high level of accuracy with Western astrology in regard to synastry analysis but a very low level of accuracy with Vedic synastry. Granted, I am basing this off of online, free chart readings, but when I do so with free, online Western astrology readings, the accuracy is still extremely high.

Has anyone else noticed that Vedic is very off on your relationship interpretations?

Cypocryphy

*Bumping*

Just want to see what those who have used both systems think, and when I refer to Vedic, I don't just mean changing the zodiac but using Nakshatras, Rasi, etc.

Has anyone done this for previous relationships and seeing which one actually was the more accurate?

P.S. I'm not looking to say one is better than the other necessarily. I'm looking for differences to see if one might add information that the other would not. I'm not "trolling," just in case someone thinks that I am.

Last edited:

swanswings

Namaste.

You do know, of course, that you are asking an apple and oranges question. The aspects and orbs used in western astrology are different from the way aspects occur in Hindu/Vedic astrology.

Even more important, the D-9 Navamsa chart which is absolutely necessary for analyzing a relationship in H/V astrology is completely missing from western astrology.

Because of the relative simplicity of analyzing aspects between the charts in western astrology, websites which provide this analysis are fairly consistent in their use of concepts which are fairly generic: e.g., X’ Sun square Y’s Moon creates a sincere desire for harmony that is often difficult to realize because the two feel discontented and tense together.

In contrast, the rules of H/V astrology are exceedingly complex, and interpretation must include the D-9 Navamsa chart. There is not one ... not one H/V website that has software that does such an analysis. Even Vedic software such as Shri Jyoti Star, Parashara’s Light, Kala, and Goravani do not provide a comprehensive analysis of all the factors between two charts.

Read the three-part article linked below:

http://eastwestastrology.blogspot.com/2013/06/soul-mate-synastry-case-study-part-1.html

In Part 2, your will see a list of 85 aspects formed in the charts. That number can be highly variable. An analysis of the charts of another couple might find a different combination of elements.

The systems are different. Fortunately, one can find fairly consistent online reports for western synastry. Quite honestly, many of the online reports from Vedic websites are pathetic at best.

Grace be. May wellness and well-being bless you and all whom you love.

Cypocryphy

Hello Swan Wings :smile: Thank you for your great response. This is what I was looking for.

You do know, of course, that you are asking an apple and oranges question. The aspects and orbs used in western astrology are different from the way aspects occur in Hindu/Vedic astrology.

In a sense, yes. What I mean is that it is clearly "apples and oranges" when comparing the process of delineation; however, it seems to me that the outcome should always be "apples and apples" or "oranges and oranges," whichever you prefer. Theoretically, we should always come to the same conclusion. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the same conclusion is reached with the same information, so there might be the possibility of complimenting each other.

Even more important, the D-9 Navamsa chart which is absolutely necessary for analyzing a relationship in H/V astrology is completely missing from western astrology.

Yes. The famous D-9 chart. I use harmonic charts on occasion but do so based on the work of John Addey. I realize that Vedic has rules of comparison that I am very unfamiliar with, such as using both D-1 and D-9 charts, the rulers of which (or is it the planets at the highest degree?).

This is something that I should investigate more.

Because of the relative simplicity of analyzing aspects between the charts in western astrology, websites which provide this analysis are fairly consistent in their use of concepts which are fairly generic: e.g., X’ Sun square Y’s Moon creates a sincere desire for harmony that is often difficult to realize because the two feel discontented and tense together.

In contrast, the rules of H/V astrology are exceedingly complex, and interpretation must include the D-9 Navamsa chart. There is not one ... not one H/V website that has software that does such an analysis. Even Vedic software such as Shri Jyoti Star, Parashara’s Light, Kala, and Goravani do not provide a comprehensive analysis of all the factors between two charts.

That explains a lot. What I had done was prioritize those people whom I get on well with, people whom I sometimes get on well with and then those whom I do not get on well with at all. So there are three categories; each one was given a percentage in increments of 1/3, so 33.3 percent at less for those I don't get on well with, 66.6 percent for those that are middle of the road and 100 percent to 66.6 percent for those that I get on very well with.

I then went to Cafeastrology and used its synastry program. The results were unerring in 30 charts! Remarkable really. Of course there is no nuance provided as when I do them myself, no great true understanding. But to simply get a quick, general look at the relationship, I find that Cafeastrology's program to be accurate.

When I did the same for the Vedic programs, I found that the relationships that I had with those whom I get on very well with were poor. Nearly all of them, to be honest, which is obviously inaccurate.

Read the three-part article linked below:

http://eastwestastrology.blogspot.com/2013/06/soul-mate-synastry-case-study-part-1.html

In Part 2, your will see a list of 85 aspects formed in the charts. That number can be highly variable. An analysis of the charts of another couple might find a different combination of elements.

The systems are different. Fortunately, one can find fairly consistent online reports for western synastry. Quite honestly, many of the online reports from Vedic websites are pathetic at best.

Thank you so much for this link!! I really appreciate it. :smile: I'm going to re-read it again as it is filed with information and data.

Incidentally, is this your webpage? Also, when you analyze charts, do you use both Western and Eastern approaches?

Grace be. May wellness and well-being bless you and all whom you love.

Blessings to you, too. :smile:

Last edited:

swanswings

Do you have your own software?

Allen Edwall offers freeware programs which are amazingly comprehensive.

http://www.astrowin.org/home.php

In addition you can get an online synastry report from his website which is based on the cosmodynes developed by CC Zain.

You can create the D-9 Navamsa chart online. Use google search with the entries ... navamsa, online. Select Southern India as the chart style because it is easier to read at the beginning. I put in a disclaimer here, because there are times that the online charts disagree.

Also, at astro.com, go to Extended Chart Selection, select sidereal and Whole sign houses, then look under "Please select the type of chart you want." As you scroll down, you will get to "Nine harmonic charts."

You can also get a very sophisticated freeware Vedic astrology program:

http://www.vedicastrologer.org/jh/

The author, Narasimha Rao, also has other resources if you are interested in diving into the deep pool of Hindu/Vedic astrology.

I have commercial and freeware software. Solar Fire 9 can create the D-9 chart, then I can apply the same synastry techniques to those charts as to the basic natal chart.

Because you are using the noviens (9th harmonic) of Addey, you can do the synastry from that level.

I also compare midpoints in both the natal and the D-9 charts ... and then I take a long breath, and mentally walk away from the information. Sometimes there is a lot more at work than mathematics, and getting a bit of distance allows intuition to have its say.

I will gladly offer examples if you would like.

Blessings be.

Cypocryphy

Do you have your own software?

Yeah. I have tons, actually. Various software I've picked up over the last 10 plus years or so. It's kind of overkill. :lol:

Allen Edwall offers freeware programs which are amazingly comprehensive.

http://www.astrowin.org/home.php

Oh! Awesome! Thank you so much! :smile:

In addition you can get an online synastry report from his website which is based on the cosmodynes developed by CC Zain.

Oh really?! That's cool . . . I didn't even see that. I'm going to have to check it out. I'm unfamiliar with cosmodynes. I mean I have heard of them before and have seen some people use them on the forums, but I've never used them myself. But it should be fun to check it out. :smile:

You can create the D-9 Navamsa chart online. Use google search with the entries ... navamsa, online. Select Southern India as the chart style because it is easier to read at the beginning. I put in a disclaimer here, because there are times that the online charts disagree.

Oh. Okay. That's good to know. Thanks for this. :smile:

Also, at astro.com, go to Extended Chart Selection, select sidereal and Whole sign houses, then look under "Please select the type of chart you want." As you scroll down, you will get to "Nine harmonic charts."

You can also get a very sophisticated freeware Vedic astrology program:

http://www.vedicastrologer.org/jh/

The author, Narasimha Rao, also has other resources if you are interested in diving into the deep pool of Hindu/Vedic astrology.

Wow!! :happy: Thank you so much for this link!! This is awesome. I was looking for some freeware, and I just couldn't find anything for some reason. But this looks amazing.

I have commercial and freeware software. Solar Fire 9 can create the D-9 chart, then I can apply the same synastry techniques to those charts as to the basic natal chart.

Cool. I intend on getting Solar Fire at some point. It has some features that I would really like to use.

Because you are using the noviens (9th harmonic) of Addey, you can do the synastry from that level.

Awesome. I'll try that out. So, when you do synastry on this level, are we doing bi-wheels but with the ninth harmonic of each chart?

I also compare midpoints in both the natal and the D-9 charts ... and then I take a long breath, and mentally walk away from the information. Sometimes there is a lot more at work than mathematics, and getting a bit of distance allows intuition to have its say.

Hahahah. Nice. :smile: I'm not sure if you do paid readings, but I think in the future that I might hire you (if you do). It would be interesting to see your approach.

I will gladly offer examples if you would like.

Blessings be.

Oh, that would be wonderful. Most certainly, whenever you have the time. :smile: This is really informative. I'm trying to schedule some time to get up to speed on this but things are starting to get busy again for me. I might have to just allocate some time on the weekend to learn Vedic. It shouldn't take too long, really, but I will have to devote some time to it.

Speaking of which, I found out something that I thought was kind of interesting. It seems that one of the most popular methods in India for determining compatibility is to use what is called "Ashtkoot." And for those reading who do not know, it has eight points that it checks, which are called "kutas," these being Varna (spiritual compatibility), VAshya (magnetic attraction), Dina (good fortune/longevity), Yoni (sexual compatibility) Graha (psychological compatibility), Gana (temperaments), Rashi (various auspicious/inauspicious factors), and Nadi (psycho-physiological compatibility).

I found out this system was popular with the "poor" and "uneducated" populace who were unable to determine the ascendant and other angles. It was a quick and easy way to determine compatibility. But some of the measuring factors used seem to imply a high level of indifference or lack of compassion. For example, the Dina kuta measures compatibility on the overall physical health of the couple. If it determines that you are physical unhealthy at some point, then that's a strong mark against getting married. But most believe the principal of being married is to support one another through not only the pleasant times but the difficult ones as well. So if it seems that your potential partner might get sick in the future, perhaps cancer, then that would be a big strike against the marriage, especially since Dina is worth 3 points.

I also see that Yoni Kuta is based on animals. If you are a feminine animal then you want your partner to be a feminine animal. So there's a 50/50 percent change of losing 4 points because you are not the right sex/polarity of animal. I just don't see that being a really good method. :smile:

I saw some charts of couples who have been happily married for 40 plus years, and according to Ashtkoot method, they should never have been married, and if they were, it would not have lasted. These couples have not had any of the problems suggested by the Ashtkoot method. I found this interesting and just wanted to share.

Anyway, if you do have time, then I'd love to see some examples!! :smile: And thank you a ton for providing me these amazing links! :happy:

Blessing and happiness to you too, Swan's Wings
C.

swanswings

I am a retired acupuncturist, homeopath, and counselor ... self-taught in astrology; therefore, free from any system. Eclectic, with knowledge of the Edgar Cayce readings, the channeled astrology through Hilarion, Hindu/Vedic, Uranian, Cosmobiology, Draconic, and the Star Genesis system of Ellias Lonsdale. Personal preference is sidereal with a custom ayanansma (precession-correction) which is different from Lahiri or Fagan.

I smile a big smile about learning H/V astrology quickly. Obviously, you are erudite and unless you are DATA from the Star Trek series, the learning may be a bit longer than a weekend.

Just one brief example, in the H/V system, Saturn aspects 4 houses: the one in which it is located and three others. The same is true of Mars and Jupiter; and all planets aspect two houses. Even though a planet may be located in the 7th it also acts as though it is in the 1st. Therefore, one develops a very rich appreciation for the complex relationship of lords in H/V astrology.

Ashkoot is Nakshatra-based (lunar mansion based) and can give mixed results. Remember, no one had clocks in ancient India, so the Moon was often used as the Ascendant. In fact, the Indian government nominated a committee to create a uniform calendar because there several different calendars in use. From that calendar reform, astrologers create the Lahiri ayanamsa that is widely used.

The ashkoot system was weighted in favor of males who wanted a compliant wife who was less intelligent and who produced children. In fact, H/V astrology tends to be male-centric.

With more accuracy in birth times, modern Hindu/Vedic astrologers have adopted the Ascendant as the reference, and they compare planets although in ways that are different from western astrology.

Give me two anonymous dates and places of birth, and I will give you an example.

I play astrology for fun and for joy rather than for profit. Also, I read posts here and on other forums, and rarely reply. Only when there is an intuitive nudge.

If you prefer email:

beyond.insights@gmail.com

Blessings be.

Doodleloo

I agree with swanswings.

Comparing potential charts for compatibility requires additional charts (specifically the navamsa, d9 chart). The point system is also incredibly flawed and shouldn't be used on its own. The interpretations that the point system use to deem compatibility are flawed and one-dimensional at best.

At the same time, I find it incredibly hard to compare success of vedic compatibility (and not just because I'm on the internet going through forums :pinched: ). Chances are, if you're using chart synastry, you are having an arranged marriage, and then you have to consider the culture. Hindu/Indian culture looks down on divorce and tries its very best to promote harmony. It's very possible that a marriage is working superficially for appearances.