So distraught! Did I do the right thing putting him to sleep?

bubuza_dulce

Via Combust makes me think I should have waited!!!

I'm very sorry dear Vista, maybe I shouldn't write here since I don't know horary astrology. But I read how you described his symptoms and it seems like there was really nothing you could do. If you feel bad about not trying to prolong his life you should think that he was in great suffering (fainting from not being able to breathe !) and if you had let him live you would have felt guilty for letting him suffer and wondered whether you should have chosen the other part, just as you do now. Don't punish yourself, he wouldn't want that! (And if you really feel the need to punish yourself, do it for other reasons...)

tee_jay66

OOh you poor thing. I know what you are going through after having to have one of my babies put to sleep. I think you did a brave and a noble thing. Your dog would have been suffering and anxious in his spells and things would only have gotten worse.

Your dog is now at the rainbow bridge (what I like to believe. There is a website called Rainbow bridge where you can add your deceased pet, its a beautiful website) and he understands your plight.............he is waiting for you there where you will meet again one day. Dont feel guilty, your baby understands what you had to do and he's now healthy and happy

God Bless

Last edited:

Vista

I'm very sorry dear Vista, maybe I shouldn't write here since I don't know horary astrology. But I read how you described his symptoms and it seems like there was really nothing you could do. If you feel bad about not trying to prolong his life you should think that he was in great suffering (fainting from not being able to breathe !) and if you had let him live you would have felt guilty for letting him suffer and wondered whether you should have chosen the other part, just as you do now. Don't punish yourself, he wouldn't want that! (And if you really feel the need to punish yourself, do it for other reasons...)

Hi Bubuza_dulce,
That was the single most thing on my mind when i decided to let him go. I didn't want him to feel the terror I am sure he was experiencing when he couldn't breathe. I know what it feels like when i almost drowned once. I am sure it's a similar feeling. On the other hand I kept thinking that if he was given a strong injectable diurectic, perhaps that would have helped him breath more easily and stop the episodes. Those are the "what if," or "maybe I should have" questions I keep beating myself up about. I know it's too late know...Thank you for writing and for your supportive words.

Vista

OOh you poor thing. I know what you are going through after having to have one of my babies put to sleep. I think you did a brave and a noble thing. Your dog would have been suffering and anxious in his spells and things would only have gotten worse.

Your dog is now at the rainbow bridge (what I like to believe. There is a website called Rainbow bridge where you can add your deceased pet, its a beautiful website) and he understands your plight.............he is waiting for you there where you will meet again one day. Dont feel guilty, your baby understands what you had to do and he's now healthy and happy

God Bless

Hi Tee_Jay,
Thank you, I know you are right. It was just such a shock that his deterioration happened overnight from sometimes coughing and wheezing to these episodes he had the day he died. I just wish I had more time to say good-bye...funny, my mother said the same thing when my stepfather died this summer from a heart attack. I suppose we are never fully prepared for the death of someone we really love.

tee_jay66

Hi Tee_Jay,
Thank you, I know you are right. It was just such a shock that his deterioration happened overnight from sometimes coughing and wheezing to these episodes he had the day he died. I just wish I had more time to say good-bye...funny, my mother said the same thing when my stepfather died this summer from a heart attack. I suppose we are never fully prepared for the death of someone we really love.

yes I agree that we are never prepared for the death of others. I was reading that we should always look to others with fresh eyes as if we havent had a past or history with them and also as if we may never see them again to stay in the presence of love....easier said than done with some people...but something worth striving for.

I lost my beloved pet in not very nice circumstances, and it was the memory of the final hour that stayed in my mind like a video tape that was the worst part of all.......it does ease it time x For now, allow yourself to grieve and feel awful. If we allow those feelings to be there, then we are kinder on ourselves x