what chart style have you found to be most accuret?

waybread

David, flattery will get you everywhere. Hey, thanks. I think both of us enjoy a good, yet low-key debate.

Academically, the hard and natural sciences tend to belong to the same faculties (colleges in US universities,) unless the departments are big enough to split into something else, like life sciences. They still have more in common with one another than with, say, the humanities. But even within the same geology department, you can get the hard scientist geophysicist, and the natural scientist paleontologist. There is reductionism in science, moreover, where biology gets explained by chemistry and chemistry gets explained by physics.

The social sciences as sciences are really misnamed. Many of these departments got their starts in the late 19th/early 20th centuries, when the sociologists, anthropologists, political scientists, &c thought that they could develop sciences of human society. But this has proved to be largely illusory, with a couple of exceptions: physical anthropology and the "hard" parts of archaeology; and the parts of psychology that impinge on neuroscience. Psychology as a whole is probably the most scientific of the lot due to their focus on clinical studies as the source of evidence; with something like cultural anthropology and cultural geography as the least scientific. Part of the problem is that the top-down scientific method isn't the best way to study people's belief systems as they understand themselves. When studying a traditional society in the Amazon, for instance, anthropologists couldn't just pluck people out of their homes and stick them in a laboratory; and if by some chance they did, the laboratory would bear no resemblance to the subjects' home.

We have a lot of laws in the sciences, governing gravity, optics, and thermodynamics, to name a few. Social scientists have never come up with laws governing human behaviour.
The state of our nation's economy and Congress should convince us that economics and political science are not predictably scientific.

Things are a little different if we return to the past, and study the origins of science in ancient Greece, when astronomy and astrology shared the muse Urania. But back-then is not today.

if Economics, Sociology and Psychology are sciences, so is Astrology!
No, first off: economics and sociology are only partly scientific. Psychology is becoming more scientific all the time, but this is not the direction of "psychological astrology" for whom the godfather is Carl Jung and his associates.

Even so, astrology lacks a serious research component or a reasonably-agreed upon methodology whereby its truth-claims could be tested. Tests so far have tended to disprove astrological propositions. Part of the problem is that we have still inherited an astrology from ancient times, in which the gods' attributes were determined first, prior to some planets being named for them and then assumed to display the gods' `a priori qualities. The Gauquelins made a valiant start at statistical studies, but (a) their conclusions indicated a stellar influence-- that was nevertheless very different than conventional chart-readings; and (b) their methods have been criticized and findings not duplicable, yet nobody has come up with superior testing methods.

Why do you even want to call astrology a science? I don't.

waybread

Good article, David, by a knowledgeable and thoughtful author. Have you read Cornelius's The Moment of Astrology? If not, I think you'd enjoy it as he gets into his article topics in some detail.

david starling

Well, I've decided to go with the divination concept for now. That's one advantage of having such a Piscean chart; changing the angle of view is easy if it feels right. I'm already hooked on numerology (basic--nothing fancy), and am sympatico with Tarot and I Ching, which are definitely in the divination category. So, why not? My "grounding -sign" is Virgo (desc. and my only significant Earth-sign position) and Virgo is essentially agnostic, as I understand it. Divination, art, science, or religion--I really am just looking for resonant correlations. On the other hand, Cornelius really has put a lot of intelligent thought into this topic and is definitely worth a read. Thanks!

waybread

Classifying astrology is elusive, but whatever else it might be, it is a system of divination. But wishes for your continuing pursuit of the nature of astrology, David.

david starling

Yes, very elusive. I looked up "divination" in Wikipedia and of the four categories described, not one included Astrology--I think the author left it out to avoid controversy. I use basic Numerology because I can see its correlations, and apply it to the Tropical signs based on the numbering patterns of the signs and houses. The Kabbalahlistic Tree of Life also, which relates to the Major Arcana of Paul Case's Tarot system. Is Astrology your only form of divination?

Oddity

Technically speaking, I've always understood 'divination' as trying to know the will of God (or the gods) by foretelling the future.

Is it weird that it's never occurred to me that astrology isn't divination, at least the way it was meant to be practised certainly is.

waybread

Hi David, if you click on the Wikipedia entry for astrology, they do identify it as a form of divination.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrology

For me, astrology is pretty much it. I have studied runes and tarot, but to me they are primarily tools for expanding one's self-awareness. There is a fine line in astrology between divination and fortune-telling, and I don't do much of the latter. Divination can give you a character analysis of someone you've never met, or a greater awareness of your potential. Fortune telling is more like answering, "When will I get married?" sorts of questions.

I do some horary readings, and it's interesting that some astrologers believe that a horary chart is actually a map of what the querent actually knows to be true, even if they cannot consciously articulate it. Lately I've read some horary charts where the question is something like, "Will my ex-boyfriend come back to me?" Not only does the chart give a negative, but you really feel that the querent knows that her BF is not coming back, but she hopes against hope that the horoscope will somehow give her the answer she wants. I don't do many of the "when" or "where" questions, which are actually more advanced.

I am not religious in a sectarian or orthodox sense, but I do believe in God as the divine consciousness or creative principle governing the universe. Such a God would have to be sufficiently powerful to confound astrologers' predictions. (Which was an argument against Babylonian astrology in the Old Testament.)

I also believe in people's capacity for moral choice, and that the choices we make at Time A can influence outcomes at Time T. For example, a new parent learns that her life is completely different after she has a baby-- and different for the rest of her life. Yet it's the same natal horoscope with the same transits and progressions as if she remained childless.

Last edited:

david starling

I've Seen it this way: When we're born, we don't emerge into this World unprotected--we are each surrounded by an Astral force-field which shields us from the fierce Energy storms that would otherwise destroy us. Astrology is a symbolic way of describing these force-fields. There's more to it, but that's a basic scenario I find compelling on an experiential level. Mother and child are linked, with interacting force-fields, in an extreme way. Talk about Synastry!

Last edited:

Kernowerno

....." Modern Science", which strives to explain Everything in a materialistic, impersonal, objective way using the "Scientific Method" has overshadowed every other definition (in the Modern world). Astrology is all about Correlation. Modern science is all about Causation.
I agree up to a point. Scientific method, as you say, relies on knowledge. Empiric understanding and interpretation of 'facts' as they are accepted to be known is key. However, the unknown is always around the corner, and in becoming known is almost always surprising when finally approached and revealed. That 'science' currently is materialistically oriented is beyond doubt, and is likely to continue to be so for some time yet I suspect, but the methodology - the 'science' itself - will always, should always, strive to be neutral. Astrology is no different in that respect. The parts must always make up the coherent whole. Synthesis must prove to be effective with either practice.

waybread

David, there is something out there that protects the earth from incoming radiation. It's called the atmosphere.

Which is why it truly matters if humans mismanage it.

Are you familiar with Occam's Razor?

david starling

This Natal force-field is effective enough to protect even astronauts who travel outside of Earth's atmosphere. And, there are many types of Energy waves, some of which are not yet known to Modern Science, and some of which are emanating from the Earth itself. Is Divination the simplest answer or a useful way of avoiding the question (of what Astrology is all about)? Is it possible you mean Synchronicity (Jung's version)? Secular Divination just sounds self-contradictory. Although "Worship" does have solid secular meaning...when I hear "Divination" it sounds to me like religion. Maybe Astrology has both spiritual and secular components. It could be, like Modern Science, available as a "Religion Substitute".

Last edited:

waybread

Yeh, but David, that's called their space craft. The Natal Force Feld didn't protect the crew of the Challenger when it blew up in 1986 or the Columbia crew in 2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spaceflight-related_accidents_and_incidents

I dunno, David-- isn't ordinary reality good enough?

To me the simplest explanation of astrology is that some people have psi abilities to a greater or lesser extent (also called psychic ability, clairvoyance, second sight, 6th sense, fey (in Ireland.) Astrology is a way to channel it through its specific procedures. Some day neuroscientists may figure it out.

Do we know why some people have an ear for languages, exceptional artistic ability, or perfect pitch? An air traffic controller needs advanced spatial abilities and the ability to make split-second judgements on objects rapidly moving in 3D space. Where does that ability to come from?

William Lilly encouraged horary astrologers to pray prior to reading a horoscope. While this may be where the "divine" part of divination comes in, if nothing else, prayer would focus the astrologer's mind so that s/he could more fully focus on the chart at hand.

Divination does have the root "divine" or "deva" (spirit.) When astrology began in ancient Sumer and Babylon, worship was very much part of it. Today we can simply see divination as gaining insight or foresight through a systematic method. It could be either spiritual or secular.

Humans are not separate from the cosmos. So there isn't really a planetary cause-and-effect. We operate together as a holistic system.

Last edited: