Determining one's rising sign by one's appearance?

Lotus

Hey everyone!
I am feeling frustrated as I would like an accurate (or as close as I can get to it) birth chart. My parents told me that I was born in the early hours of the morning and made a guess at 2:30am but I don't trust their guess, I think it could be way off. (My dad has a habit of saying that he is pretty certain about things and then turning out to be wrong, hence my lack of confidence in his guess). I can't get a birth time from the hospital as I was born in the UK where apparently they don't record birth times.
So I reckon that I was likely to be born between 12am and 3:30am. If I was indeed born at the time that my parents guessed I was (ie 2:30am) then it would make me have a virgo rising. But everything I have read about the appearance of a virgo rising doesn't sound like me at all. I am definitely not small, thin, neat with cute pixie like features. But if I calculate my birth time at around 12:30am then that would make me a leo rising which seems more accurate as I am tall, have quite a strong body, very thick hair (my brother used to even tease me and call me a lion as he said that my hair looked like a mane).
Guys, do you think physical appearance is a reliable indicator of one's rising sign?
Thanks!
Lotus :)

aquarius7000

Lotus,

There are many threads on this forum trying to this topic of determining the right Asc and/or how the Asc affects our appearance, which you might want to check out. Two I remember particularly well are:

> People with Ascendants near end/start

> Leo Rising (as the name suggests, this one is in particular on Leo Rising, which you presume to qualify to be yours;))

:)aquarius7000

PS: I will move your thread to the 'Houses and Cusps' forum, as we are technically talking about the first house here, and, as you have made a clear attempt yourself to decipher this conundrum, so the Greenhorns' Lounge is not the right place for it.:)

Last edited:

Lotus

Hmm..just did a forum search and found the threads on rising signs and appearances.
I just don't feel like a virgo rising or perhaps I don't want to identify as having a virgo rising? I associate the virgo energy with perfectionism and obsessiveness; these traits I do acknowledge within myself, they have caused me a lot of suffering in my life.
I found waybread's comments about the power of suggestion very interesting. Perhaps because I want to harness the Leo energy in my life is a reason why I would like to be a Leo rising? I feel like I want to be given permission to be more creative, dramatic and 'out there'.

Last edited:

Lotus

Thanks Aquarius, just read your post after I wrote my reply. Will check out the threads you mentioned. :)

One's rising sign does not necessarily indicate the predominant physical expression.

There may be planets in the 1st house – this would alter the stereotypical traits of the rising sign.

Where is the ruler of the ascendant, the sign it is in, and especially aspects to it?

These contribute to the physical expression of both your body itself as well as mannerisms, etc.

Ascendant physical traits
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25131

Ascendant sign research
http://www.cafeastrology.com/risingsignsascendant.html
http://astrology.findyourfate.com/astrology-ascendant.htm
http://www.astrology-numerology.com/angles.html
http://moonvalleyastrologer.com/zodia_sign.htm
http://www.astrologyzine.com/what-are-rising-sign-traits.shtml
http://www.alwaysastrology.com/rising-signs.html
http://www.astrofaces.com/astrofaces/index.html
http://www.forrestastrology.com/Audio-and-Video/The-Ascendant-Workshop-MP3
http://www.starslikeyou.com.au/star-files/ascendant/aries.php
http://www.forrestastrology.com/General-Astrology/the-craft-of-chart-rectification
http://www.elbertwade.com/page79.html

You can listen to author Jodie Forrest here describe Ascendants and planets in first house, even buy her audio on the subject
Just briefly, according to member Kannon [Cardinal signs are more rounded. Fixed signs are rectangular or blocky. Mutable signs are longish or narrow]
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28315

May I suggest you read the 'welcome to the world of astrology’ and other ---sticky' at the top of this forum? It has some great explanations, links etc. At the top of every forum there are lots of ‘stickys’ which explain matters in that forum, along with guidelines & tips

There is a 'plethora' of information on AW, espec in the 'stickys' at the top of every forum, our Education forum and Recommendations forum to. Plus we have a good search feature,[but not foolproof obviously, so try here first] bit like google using keywords – initially select advanced and try just selecting 'titles' rather than posts or you'll get too many threads. If this doesn’t get results then try google

Lin

WHY do you have to guess your birth time?? There are ways to get a copy of your birth record!
Almost all cities, counties, etc, have a dept. of birth records. They should be able to send you a form to fill out to get a copy of this record.
LIN

tikana

Lin

??? Nope not true

England doesnt have a rule about birthtime
mine doesnt have it there is no way finding out what time i was born

T

tikana

Hey everyone!
I am feeling frustrated as I would like an accurate (or as close as I can get to it) birth chart. My parents told me that I was born in the early hours of the morning and made a guess at 2:30am but I don't trust their guess, I think it could be way off. (My dad has a habit of saying that he is pretty certain about things and then turning out to be wrong, hence my lack of confidence in his guess). I can't get a birth time from the hospital as I was born in the UK where apparently they don't record birth times.
So I reckon that I was likely to be born between 12am and 3:30am. If I was indeed born at the time that my parents guessed I was (ie 2:30am) then it would make me have a virgo rising. But everything I have read about the appearance of a virgo rising doesn't sound like me at all. I am definitely not small, thin, neat with cute pixie like features. But if I calculate my birth time at around 12:30am then that would make me a leo rising which seems more accurate as I am tall, have quite a strong body, very thick hair (my brother used to even tease me and call me a lion as he said that my hair looked like a mane).
Guys, do you think physical appearance is a reliable indicator of one's rising sign?
Thanks!

Lotus

what shape is your merc and are there any planets aspecting your asce

T

Lin

??? Nope not true

England doesnt have a rule about birthtime
mine doesnt have it there is no way finding out what time i was born

T
I have heard that scotland do put the time of birth on birth certificates and if you are a twin (anywhere) they do put your time on birth birth certificates.
If you were born in hospital (anywhere in UK) they 'will' have your time on record there, you may have to pay for verification of time, but it is worth it.

If you were born at home (like myself) you only have family members memories and they are never exact, as most people 'round up' the birth time to o'clock, half past, quarter to/past. I even did this will my kids, one was born, 3.50am and the other 4.42 to in my mind they were born 1hour difference, 1@ 3.45 and 1@ 4.45am

Ruka_5

Banned
Hey everyone!
Thanks!

No way. I have yet to see anyone who is a really good fit physically, with their ascendant. The more I think about it the more I realize just how little I resemble an Aquarius ascendant, but personality-wise and in terms of my life experiences, it's definitely accurate. Same thing for my younger sister, who is a Virgo ascendant but doesn't fit the stereotypical physical description at all, but whose natal chart with that ascendant, definitely fits her.

To give a public figure example that we're all familiar with - for the longest time people were going around saying Michael Jackson was this or that rising sign too - I think the one I was seeing named off the most, was Gemini, and maybe Scorpio. People spent pages and pages working with those ascendants as fact because they felt he physically resembled them...however his nephew asked his mom for MJ's birth time and Tweeted about it; he was actually a Pisces ascendant.

I really can't say enough that you really can't look at someone and on that alone, successfully guess an ascendant.

tikana

Ruka

i can see where you are coming from i just dont think i agree fully xcept on ppl like in MJ. There are a few wierd looking celebs with overkill plastic surgeries.. One woman looks like a feline, another guy has lifted his eyebrows like a clown. Janice Dickinson would be interesting subject to grind.. Google Pete Burns LOL what sign is this person? LOL Being in shape wont hide the distinct physical features. I was looking at different photos of celebs when they were children, young and when they turned into celebs, no matter how fit you are, prominent feaures will remain.
take for example Kirstie Alley... she was skinny, then gained weight then overweight now back down to normal. Facial features didnt change.
William lilly goes deeply into bone structure. I am sure you know that face changes with age for a lot of ppl for some they dont age at all.

Yeah Michael Jackson is a trippy case cause he literally changed his face . You cannot take away bone frame. he was a very skinny guy. Rectifying his chart by the looks ,, you have to go back to his childhood photos.

There is a worksheet on determining the asce just on the looks. i have seen it on the net but it confused heck out of me it ws like 6 pages in a spreasheet.. too many twists and turns. If i ever find it again, i will post it..

2 cents of an opinion
T

DiDi

Hey lotus

I am definitely not small, thin, neat with cute pixie like features. But if I calculate my birth time at around 12:30am then that would make me a leo rising which seems more accurate as I am tall, have quite a strong body, very thick hair (my brother used to even tease me and call me a lion as he said that my hair looked like a mane).

my daughter is a gemini sun and aqu moon she has virgo asc

she is very gemini natured at home with her family and yet once outside those doors she was a prude, funny when i didnt realise what asc she was i use to think she was doing the 2 sides of the twin.

family genetics is shorter side and smaller feartured noses hands that kind of thing.
she is tall with long thick hair that reaches her butt, she has what we call swimmers shoulders as they are not petite but more on the wider side althou very sculptured quite beutiful.
she has long legs and she has long i call them piano fingers very slender and very long. she has large brown eyes, not small.
we are italian background and she has inherited those looks so that may interfear a bit but the few other virgos i know also are tall with long legs and fingers
her manner is very prudish out side the home and not what her family is, although dignified not prudish and yet her gemini nature at home makes her the opposite.
she is nervous in public situations and doesnt smile much unless she knows you.
we her family are quite friendly and talk to anyone who talks to us.

thought id just throw a few things out there for you to see a side of a virgo asc.

my opinion is the rising does show the type of bone structure we have and what we come across in the public eye till we have gotten comfortable then we will unviel our masks and show more of the sun/moon/venus/merc side

Last edited:

Ruka_5

Banned
Ruka

i can see where you are coming from i just dont think i agree fully xcept on ppl like in MJ. There are a few wierd looking celebs with overkill plastic surgeries.. One woman looks like a feline, another guy has lifted his eyebrows like a clown. Janice Dickinson would be interesting subject to grind.. Google Pete Burns LOL what sign is this person? LOL Being in shape wont hide the distinct physical features. I was looking at different photos of celebs when they were children, young and when they turned into celebs, no matter how fit you are, prominent feaures will remain.
take for example Kirstie Alley... she was skinny, then gained weight then overweight now back down to normal. Facial features didnt change.
William lilly goes deeply into bone structure. I am sure you know that face changes with age for a lot of ppl for some they dont age at all.

Yeah Michael Jackson is a trippy case cause he literally changed his face . You cannot take away bone frame. he was a very skinny guy. Rectifying his chart by the looks ,, you have to go back to his childhood photos.

There is a worksheet on determining the asce just on the looks. i have seen it on the net but it confused heck out of me it ws like 6 pages in a spreasheet.. too many twists and turns. If i ever find it again, i will post it..

2 cents of an opinion
T

...Guess Burn's ascendant? I don't do that because I don't go based on physical appearance, for the reasons I stated in my last post. I wasn't even really talking about plastic surgery either because again, I've seen a ton of people who look nothing like the stereotypical physical descriptions of their ascendants, and none of those people had plastic surgery. My sister has never gone anywhere near a plastic surgeon's scalpel; she just naturally doesn't look anything like a Virgo ascendant, but she definitely is one. Same for me and Aquarius.

Same for MJ really, if you think about it - the physical descriptions I've read of Pisces Ascendants talk about them being really small; MJ was almost six feet tall. The ascendants that he does resemble, turned out to be inaccurate. You just can't tell this type of thing by looking at someone, imo.

I've seen people insist Stevie Nicks had to be a Pisces ascendant based on her looks, when she isn't - but her having Neptune on an angle, right near her descendant, probably explains why she comes off so ethereal and Neptunian and looks so Piscean. Just like how people saw MJ's eyes and immediately thought Scorpio Rising - no, but he does have Sun conjunct Pluto.

I think the overrall chart can describe someone's physical appearance, but that it isn't as clear-cut as 'you look this way so oh you must be this rising sign'. I think it's more complex than that.

tikana

Ruka ...

looking at just asce will get you nowhere ... look into Christian astrolody volume you read through you might understand why Ascedant is just an icing on a cake..

i look like my sun sign not asce i am pretty sure my sun sign is not my rising..

that is my point.. plastic surgeries do distort facial features and wil interfere with rectification

T

Ruka_5

Banned
Ruka ...

looking at just asce will get you nowhere ... look into Christian astrolody volume you read through you might understand why Ascedant is just an icing on a cake..

i look like my sun sign not asce i am pretty sure my sun sign is not my rising..

that is my point.. plastic surgeries do distort facial features and wil interfere with rectification

T

...I didn't say the ascendant is the only part of a chart that anyone should focus on.

As far as it being just icing on the cake or even insignificant though, it depends on what schools of astrology you adhere to; I know that in esoteric astrology the ascendant is considered the very soul of the individual.

I wasn't saying anything about plastic surgery one way or another. I was saying that I don't think that necessarily has much to do with it either, because even people who don't have plastic surgery, usually don't fit the stereotypical physical descriptions of their ascendants. And I don't think it was really Jackson's surgeries that threw everyone off, because when people were trying to guess his ascendant, they always, always based it off of either how thin he was, or his eyes. They weren't bringing up the parts he actually changed via plastic surgery. And like I said, even though he's a Pisces ascendant, you'd never have guessed it by looking at him because he doesn't fit the bodily description; he wasn't a small man which is what most of those sites and books would tell you to expect of someone with Pisces rising.

And you kind of just proved my point a bit there when you just stated that even you don't resemble the traditional descriptions of your ascendant, either. Most people don't. So why is it that so many astrologers think they can actually determine an ascendant just by looking at someone? Like you just said and like I mentioned in my last post, a lot of times people tend to resemble other aspects of their chart, or their chart as a whole. I've had people tell me I look more like a Capricorn ascendant because I'm small (5'0'', 92 lbs.). In a way that doesn't surprise me because I have a pretty strong Saturn, which, if I'm remembering correctly, does make aspects to either my midheaven or ascendant, but in terms of my actual personality and the life I've experienced up to this point, I'm definitely, definitely an Aquarius rising, whether I want to be or not. :lol:

I think a lot of times when people try to guess an ascendant by looking at someone, what they really end up picking up on is other prominent energies in their chart that manifest physically. So they end up getting the general energy right, but the actual ascendant wrong.

tikana

Hold on a second, Ruka..

you cannot bring me into the equation because my asce is not known and unconfirmed BUT my sun's sign to be my asce is 1 million % outruled.

" So why is it that so many astrologers think they can actually determine an ascendant just by looking at someone? ""
Because that is how modern astrology is taught these days.. However, as i said in CA3 which i am curently cross matching against other trad books that are not based off CA3 rectification is explained. Rectification is the most difficult sector to excel in astrology that is why only a few people who practice it.

T