Morality of Predicting Death?

Waybread stated about 3 pages back in this thread:

p.s. Clinton, the Ancients did not practice horary astrology. It was a subsequent development.

The abortion debate is a red herring.

I have a bunch of "ancients' books", incidentally. Manilius, Ptolemy, Dorotheus, Valens, Firmicus Maternus, Rhetorius, Paulus Alexandrinus, and Olympiodorus. Antiquity sort of ended ca. 600 AD. No doubt I am missing someone.

Again, Lilly did not live in today's world. Nor did they. We do.

Seeing how you are a bold, humanitarian revolutionary though somestimes Contrary Aquarious, Waybread I wish to challenge you on this statement, Not to put you down, as we all have been known to error and have misconceptions.

But when Luna waxes again I'd love to start a debate entitled:

Waybread's perception of Horary history and that of the houses!

Using your quote above as the initial introduction!

Are you game and is that Kosher as you are bold and I wished everyone to note the challenge of this debate!

Clinton-- Jeane Dixon made some notorious bloopers in her predictive career. I don't think you want to use her as an example. Are you familiar with the "Jeane Dixon effect"? This means claiming success based upon a few carefully qualified predictions that were subsequently blown out of proportion, while ignoring the errors. To quote her Wikipedia entry:

"Many of Dixon's predictions proved false, such as her claims that a dispute over the offshore Chinese islands of Quemoy and Matsu would trigger the start of World War III in 1958, that American labor leader Walter Reuther would run for President of the United States in the 1964 presidential election, that the second child of Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau and his young wife Margaret would be a girl (it was a boy), and that the Russians would be the first to put men on the moon."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeane_Dixon

Waybread, you misunderstand the point, it's O.K. I do it too, but of course like Lilly Dixon made mistakes, Not as many as Lilly stressed integity of the art for one's reputation and the art's credibility.

My point was simply that should astrologers have kept silent and NOT contacted the White House about the strong emphasis of JKKs death?

I mean sure I get your point in that an astrologer I know now in her 80s keeps bothering a horary mentor of mine about when will she die. Unlike Lilly, MAYBE(???) he like myself won't tell her out of ethics.

But were the astrologers like Dixon and those I cited wrong to tell the nation's leader '...You sir are in danger of driving off a cliff where there is NO WATER in the canyon below...!'
What am I dealing with here, Cap riisng, Aries, or Leo Asc or Sun in 1H? Sure is stubborn and of a thick headed mercury?

Last edited:

waybread

Clinton, by all means start new threads on topics that interest you and that are off-topic for this one. Since you have no idea about my views on horary, however, you might want to depersonalize it. If the topic interests me, I will join in.

It must have occured to you that leading political figures get warnings all the time from talented prognosticators and plain crackpots who turn out to be wrong. Nobody publicizes these. Remember C.E.O. Carter predicting that WW II wouldn't happen? How many end-of-the-world predictions have there been in the last 2000 years? Many, and vulnerable people who are not critical thinkers have gummed up their lives in believing these falsehoods. All we need is another Jonestown, Waco TX, Solar Temple, or Heaven's Gate disaster with an astrological prediction in the mix. Some doomsday cults use astronomical data, and some are Christian.

You appear to be a Christian. If so, wouldn't you believe that death-- no matter how tragic to the survivors and even a nation-- just might be part of God's Plan? For deterministic, fatalistic astrologers, a warning to JFK couldn't have altered his fate, regardless.

It's nice that you reckon that Saint Lilly and Dixon made some mistakes. So what margin of error is good enough for you in astrological death prediction?

I don't know what your last line means, but if you are trying to guess my horoscope (so far incorrectly,) I haven't posted it, for several reasons. One reason is that some people misuse astrology in order to imagine why a person who upsets them is "wrong" and they're justified in their disrespect. I would suggest that you look at issues of psychological projection and shadow material, and why you find death and doom predictions so appealing.

Why don't you post your horoscope and let me have a look at it? On another thread, of course.

So the astrologer who warned Carole Lumbard about her fate was wrong to do so?

http://www.lasvegasmercury.com/2003/MERC-Mar-06-Thu-2003/20815964.html

Like many an ill-fated flight, the portents for disaster were thick, especially given that Lombard's mother was a firm believer in astrology and numerology. Mrs. Peters had been warned by one astrologer to stay off airplanes in 1942, and she realized that the date--Jan. 16--was a bad sign, 16 being a warning sign of accident or death. Winkler's protest against flying was more prosaic: He suffered from airsickness. Lombard decided a coin toss was the only fair way to decide, .................
.....................SNIP.........given the new wartime restrictions on aviation. Lombard took it, her mother's superstitious misgivings aside.
:rightful::rightful::rightful:

Lombard's plane touched down at Las Vegas at what would become Nellis Air Force Base, and took on fuel. Lifting off at 7:07 p.m., the plane headed west. At 7:23 p.m. a valley-shuddering explosion was heard as the plane collided with the top of Mount Potosi. It had failed to clear it by less than 60 feet. In the investigation, it was determined that Williams failed to adjust his flight plan after the switch from Boulder City to Las Vegas. The previous coordinates would have taken the plane safely around the mountain.

And as we have noted:

Morality of Predicting Death? - Page 2 - Astrologers' Community

www.astrologyweekly.com › ... › Predictive Astrology

Jun 21, 2013 - 26 posts
For every astrologer who got a death prediction right, we could equally point ..... have it within just as when the astrologer of Carol Lombard told her about aspects to Uranus in her transits or progressed chart said WARNING!

So we astrologers are immoral if we see something like death that could be avoided, we should just keep silent, no one will know that we knew for as some think in the art of astrology it is unethical to tell of one's probable death if they are heading for the cliff?

Last edited:

waybread

Paul, to continue.

Let's not pretend there's some dichotomy that being comforting is mutually exclusive to not running away from death related issues. Death happens. In fact it's happening alarmingly often. Whilst you're patting someone on the shoulder telling them to spend time with their loved one in the not knowing, I'll be in another room telling someone practical things to allow them to make better informed choices. No this illness is not life threatening, but take the appropriate medical precautions as you normally would. No your husband is not coming back but there's some other relationship that has potential later in the year. Yes, gather your finances to come home now as you may not have much longer with your loved one. Yes, now is a good time to bring her home if she wants to die at home.

The sympathy card is a huge help and an improvement. I just suggest there is more to get to.

Nobody is suggesting "running away from death issues." Notice how you deploy straw man tactics to forward your views. The issues, rather, are how one approaches death that may be near rather than distant; and what the promise of astrology is in human life and death more foundationally.

Let's unpack your advice to a client bit by bit.

Nobody should have to rely on a death-clock prediction to get their affairs and relationships in order. Advise people to do these now. This is the promise of genethliacal astrology. Not horary; although you could tack it onto a horary reading, as appropriate.

So you advise someone to follow doctor's orders? Wonderful. So does the doctor who prescribes the treatments. We don't need an astrologer to do this. Are you going to tell a wife whose husband isn't even dead yet that she can look forward to meeting his replacement while she's still in mourning? This is extremely insensitive. Are you going to play Big Daddy to relatives who should be making up their own minds as to whether to visit a hospitalized family member or not? Why wouldn't a family member bring home a dying mother to die at home if she wanted to, independently of an astrologer's advice, but with the attending physician's advice?

Talk about not wanting to tell other people what to do! Sure, it's proffered as "advice," but your death clock and directional tilt is unmistakeable. You are playing God here, Paul. I just hope you're good at it.

And let us suppose that you personally are this utterly accurate, saintly, considerate, &c, &c, &c sage for people. Doesn't matter in the bigger picture. You've opened the floodgates for anyone else who wants to get a piece of the action, no matter how stupid, inaccurate, or immoral they might be. And they'll be the "astrologers" hand-holding the terrified wife in the hospital visitor's lounge.

We each have our own ways and we each make the choices we feel comfortable with living with. You have made your own and I have made mine. I would never dream of telling you it is unethical if you see signatures of death and do not tell your querent or client. That's your choice, you have to live with the choices you make. Personally I would feel much worse if I someone asked about a medical issue and instead of answering I said "spend time with your loved ones" and they died because they didn't get to that lump in time. Instead I'd feel a hell of a lost less bad if I said "listen that lumps looks malignant, do whatever it takes to get it seen to now, sell that car, remortgage your house if you had to". Whilst you may feel ethically clean and sound with a person dead six feet under you, I'll feel a lot better with a woman who can spend more time with her loved ones now, even if she has to get the bus for a bit.

I greatly appreciate your "free to be you and me" attitude towards my astrology and just about anybody else's. It sounds open-minded, egalitarian, and good-spirited. It is very different from the ton-of-bricks style you take with people who disagree with you on various points of astrology (and which is it, Paul?) but for the sake of this debate, let's take your laissez-faire statements at face value and for the moment.

I have no problem telling querants that I do very little predictive astrology, because I believe that we make choices in life and that these choices affect outcomes at future dates. I may suggest good and bad, likely or unlikely times for something to happen. Otherwise we are into a highly fatalistic, deterministic universe. If I were an expert predictive astrologer and I predicted three children for the querant, this is bound to happen, no matter what she does. Right?

And here's the quandary for fatalistic, deterministic astrologers who do death prediction. IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT YOU GIVE A PREDICTION OR ADVISE A CLIENT. Que sera, sera. If the kids mortgage the tree house to fly home from Borneo to visit dying Mom in Oshkosh, they would have done that anyway. Or not. If they choose not to fly home and subsequently live wracked with guilt, well, that whole scenario was in the stars as well.

Paul, don't you think that medical professionals have gotten the word out to women about breast lumps? Women over a given age are advised to do a monthly self-examination and get a periodic mammogram. The doctor also does a breast exam during the annual or biennial gyn exam.

Doesn't this position you as practising medicine without a license, yet without your having any medical qualifications whatsoever?

And let's suppose you personally are 100% accurate. The next horary astrologer to come along, thanks to your encouragement, who lacks your expertise might mistakenly tell a woman who does have breast cancer that she's fine, and not to worry. So then she doesn't get herself checked out, and dies painfully over a period of a year.

Again, a Paulian lampoon. Why should anybody feel fine about somebody's burial? I just don't want a bunch of unqualified astrologers playing M.D. with people's life-and-death health issues. I do think medical astrology has merit, but analyses are very easily qualified. You can say, "It looks like you might have breast health issues, so make sure to keep up with routine screening if you are not doing this already."

So now we're getting into my "but" issues. I think you've been denying being "your brother's keeper." But in talking about how you can ethically help people through death predictions, this is precisely what you are doing.

You seem to feel that we're all a bunch of atomistic individual astrologers, free to go our own way. Well, yes: in one level we most certainly are. We are probably the most unregulated major counseling and predictive discipline on the planet. You want to predict death? How could I possibly stop you or anybody?

But rugged individualism is a culturally conditioned, point-in-time perspective. There's nothing objectively real about it. In other societies, the individual was/is not the relevant unit. It was the clan or the ethnic group or the loyal subjects. People took their identity from being a sub-set of a larger social group, not from distancing themselves from it. (In part, because it could have harmed their survival.)

I am all for individualism. But (and maybe I've been living in community-minded Canada too long) we equally have an obligation to consider the additional dimensions of our personhood. One of these is our obligations to the group. You seem to ignore who you are as a member of society.

To be continued....

Last edited:

waybread

Cinton, if you are trying to convince me that death prediction is doable and a good idea based on individual examples, it's not worth your while. I have (and could again) equally pile up examples of astrological and religious death predictions that were utterly mistaken.

Where does this get us? Not to a high level of confidence, that's for sure.

As I mentioned above, there is a Catch-22 in death prediction. If you believe in a fatalistic astrology, Lombard couldn't have avoided her fate. Or she might have been hit by a bus that day. The unheeded predictions and the death were merely the universe unfolding as it would. If you believe in a more open, choice-centered view of astrology, then there's no point in pinpoint prediction of future events, because the future is much more up for grabs. A given configuration in a horoscope might suggest difficulties, yet these could manifest themselves in different ways. [deleted attacking statement - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

poyi

Premium Member
Last edited:

waybread

Paul, to continue.

I asked what would you have instead? A license? If not then what is the point? A code of ethics that does nothing if you break it is just a guideline for the astrologer. Unless your'e suggesting some consequence for the astrologer if they break it, in which case it's not just a guide but some kind of 'rule book'. Is this what you mean or want? I genuinely do not know, which is why I'm asking. This is not an accusation, this is a question because I'm puzzled at what you would have differently. If it was up to you what would you do? Say you install these 'ethics' guides that say that predicting death is wrong and I go ahead and predict death. What happens now in this hypothetical model you're arguing for? Do I get punished? Do I lose the right to call myself an astrologer for example (my license point)? Does nothing happen? In which case you're arguing for the case we already have, whereby you have your opinion and your own ethical code and you live by it, and I have my own opinion and my own ethical code and I live by it. That's actually what I'm arguing for all along.

Sorry that my point wasn't clear, but I did make it. Recall where I talked about heirarchies of rules, from laws to policies and ethics codes to unwritten rules. Sociologists might discuss the latter in terms of high-context societies (which have many) and low-context societies (which are more transparent to outsiders.) Possibly most of the self-regulation of social groups comes from the unwritten rules.

For example, few employees would tell the boss she looks like **** even if most of them think so, and even if there's no law or company policy such as, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." I put it to you that you run most of your life out of unwritten rules. Everybody does.

Unwritten rules served astrology pretty well for the past century. In Britain where you live, there are general laws about fraudulent service provision for pay, which does include astrologers. http://www.skyscript.co.uk/apai_1.html The advice of a spokesman from the British Office of Fair Trade (2010) advised astrologers to:

"Explain the limitations of the techniques employed e.g. astrology is a symbolic language & offers a balance of probabilities rather than specific certainties....
"Emphasize that astrology is not scientifically proven and that no reading can be 100% accurate."

This is legal advice about your laws, Paul, not mine. I mentioned above that due to fortune-telling laws in the US, many astrologers advise their clients that they can't expect rock-solid predictions; and have even been advised to say that their chart readings are for "entertainment purposes only."

Sure, you or they can ignore this advice. But where does this get you? Some people are not risk-takers by nature.

At some point in the course of this thread, I wanted to look through my (mostly modern) astrology books to see if anybody discussed how-to techniques for death prediction. I didn't buy Houck's book (the astrologer who predicted his own death--incorrectly,) but I do have a couple on traditional astrology today, horary, Al-Biruni, and most of the Hellenistic texts in English translation. (Yes Clinton, I've scanned Lilly from my public library, though I don't own a copy.) I havent counted up all my books but I've got over 100, not counting articles. Authors like Hand, Forrest, Greene, Rudhyar, Arroyo, Tyl, Oken, Hamaker-Zondag, Sasportas, Cunningham, Hickey, Carter, Leo, plus many others. I also just now also scanned all of the titles of the Skyscript on-line articles.

If you look at modern astrology plus many materials on horary and traditional published in the past century, the primer on death-clock astrology just isn't there. It's nowhere. Rarely you find a brief caution against doing it; or more generally cautions for professional astrologers against unethical practices which could come straight out of the astro-societies' ethics codes. Sometimes you find analyses of the deaths of celebrities (like Princess Di or somebody with quincunxes all over the place) but these aren't predictions for living and ordinary people.

How do you explain this absence of death prediction techniques if there weren't specific rules and regs against it outside of a few professional societies? The reasons are historical, cultural, and (in my opinion) a big dose of common sense about the potential repercussions. The community of astrologers, whether professional or amateur, collectively decided Not To Go There.

I am merely proposing that we keep what works. Right now, when some confused soul on this forum asks if the moon progressing into his 8th house means that Mum is going to die because his astro-buddy said so, most of us would confidently say no, and that death prediction isn't something we do as astrologers. Thanks to you, now we can't do that, and this opens up a huge Pandora's Box for vulernable and frightened posters; and people like moi who try to reassure them.

Right, but unlike Kevin, I'm not asking anyone to do anything for me whatsoever. I'm not taking from the community in any way or requiring anything from them whatsoever when someone comes to me and make a death prediction. So who should sanction me? Well first ask why would they want to. I'm doing nothing to harm or affect anybody else. I'm not affiliated with them in any way to bring them into disrepute. We can't have it both ways, I can't be both a lone ranger astrologer and then also an astrologer intricately bound up with so many others that my actions negatively affect others. Which is it? Am I a lone ranger astrologer or not?

The "Kevin" example was merely to illustrate a familiar example of an unwritten rule. It wouldn't have changed my point had I picked a different illustration.

You are connected to a larger body of astrologers and consumers of astrology, but you appear to disregard or deny it and to think as a Lone Ranger. (Metaphor, naturally; but one you understand.)

Last edited:

waybread

To Paul, continued. (Sorry y'all, but he does raise a lot of issues directed to me.)

There are people who behave badly to their clients - we don't need death prediction for this, there are those who are exceptionally caustic exceptionally hurtful when dealing with emotionally vulnerable people no matter what the subject is. For you death prediction may be the worst of the worst, the blackest of the black, but it's not for everyone. Telling someone young that they will never ever find happiness or love can be much more damaging than telling them they'll die next week. Not for you maybe, but for others. One need only live past next week to know the astrologer was wrong, the other needs to carry the possibility their entire life and have it twist and warp their emotional relationships with fear. Bear in mind I don't speak hypothetically here. I was indeed told, by one of these paragons of virtue - the modern astrologer - that I would never find love or happiness in life. I have rejected that astrologer's claim and it does not affect me however I always remember it and wonder at others who didn't have my stronger sense of my own self and could have been damaged by it and carry that damage through their own life.

I regret that this "unlucky in love" prediction happened to you, and it is one that we see all too often. (It seems to be more popular in Eastern Europe, for some reason.) I don't know who these creepoid astrologers are who talk to people in this fashion, but now you see why professional societies write ethics codes.

But take your own example. Perhaps you were shaken and distressed by this prediction, but somehow life went on. Maybe you found love; or maybe not yet, but are optimistic that it's out there. Maybe you shrugged it off and focused on your career. (And what does your own horary say?)

I just have to stress that death is different and far, far more serious. It is different than predictions about love, jobs, friends, money, and all the rest of it. To me this is just so obvious. You actually allude to death being different in your examples of near-death counseling. Nobody's going to take out a loan and fly home to be at Mum's bedside if she's unhappy about her love-life or she's had a tiff with the neighbours. Nobody needs to face a year of surgery, radiation, and chemo because they don't have a boyfriend.

You raised the question of non-astrological prediction more generally, which I addressed in one of today's earlier posts. Hopefully you saw it. I wrote:

I have already covered the "comparables" with other predictive fields above, but: once more, with feeling. Most professionals in other fields of which I am aware qualify their predictions. If a stock broker tells a client that an investment "is a sure thing," I recommend seeking another stock broker, and so would brokers' professional societies. Meteorologists qualify their precipitation forecasts in the awareness that many unpredictable variables can influence what happens on the ground. (Hence, "a 50% chance of rain.") With even a slight shift in wind direction, you may get wet or you might not.

Death is the most frightening of prospects for many people. You may have gotten your head around it and can face it with equanimity (assuming no panic during an extreme accident) but we have to accept that this isn't the case for many clients. They may ask for a death prediction specifically out of fear.

Death isn't like a financial forecast, a weather forecast, a political projection, or other types of predictive astrology. Death is finito. Final. Curtains. End Zone. Over. Permanent. Dying is often lengthy, extremely humiliating, scary, and painful. We're not talking about whether I should take an umbrella, or whether CNN can acurately predict the election result with only 2% of the votes counted. We are talking about people no longer existing on the earth-plane; oftentimes leaving massive emotional and financial holes in their loved one's lives.

waybread

Paul, the rest of your post goes on for quite I while. I still think I've answered most of your issues, and then you noted that I am not on the hook for all of them. I have lots to do tonight before I sleep, so I will take just one more of your points and respond to it. You wrote:

Funny, someone asked me to do a Tarot reading (back in the day) about a man who was in his 70s and sick. Was he going to die. What should I do? Say "listen love, get ready for Daddy to die or come down with anything fatal at any moment, just common sense and all that jazz. And whilst you're at it live each moment like it's your last". Because this is what you've been advocating instead. Rather than give empty platitudes, I looked to the cards. THe man was fine, he just had a short term problem, probably a bad cold. He fully recovered two weeks later. That was 6 years ago. He's still alive.

Paul, you are an extremely gifted and intelligent human being. I would never take that away from you, no matter how annoying your posts become. If you think I have advocated "empty platitudes" then you have not understood my message.

It is possible we are shouting across a horary/genethliacal divide; but I think it's more that you express (if not believe) an unnecessarily limited, materialist* perspective on the nature of human beings. As I see it, of course.

(*I mean materialist in a philosophical sense, not an economic one.)

Mostly I read natal charts on this and another Internet forum, for the purpose of character insights, and hopefully helping people to look into their horoscopes for the purpose of resolving issues that make them unhappy. "Maybe life today is in the pits, but hey, you've got this big Pluto square natal sun transit going on. Here's how it is likely to manifest, and here's what I recommend." One of my favourite challenges is vocational counseling. Rarely, do you see anybody asking about their soul purpose, but this is what I like best. My accuracy is imperfect, so usually I qualify my assessments.

Often you do get posters on the "read my chart" boards who ask "when is my money going to work out?" or "when will I re-marry?" And you can just see in their charts that they probably are poor money managers, or that they have personal issues interfering with their chance for a permanent relationship.

Do you really do these people a favour by saying, "you're going to get a check in the mail in January"? Because if they haven't learned to manage money, they'll misspend the new check, just as they did their prior income. If they haven't learned the give-and-take of marriage, is repeating their unexamined behaviours of the past with a new spouse really going to give them the marriage they want?

Suppose I could give someone a predictive answer: "You will remarry in three years." I don't think this would be nearly as helpful as pointing out that transits come and go. Good times are followed by bad times are followed by good times are followed by bad times, indefinitely. The mark of a mature adult is the ability to face good and bad times with confidence in one's ability to handle risk and uncertainty. The more serious the uncertainty, the more maturity and life experience we stand to gain from it. People gain experience from their mis-readings of their futures, their mistakes, their not-knowing.

Natal chart interpretation is above all about self-awareness. I don't find this a platitude at all, because it has been extremely powerful in my own life.

If I wanted a slippery slope lampoon of your position, I could acuse you of wanting to infantilize people. I could accuse you of being the one who can't handle the prospect of death since you are so anxious to reassure clients that grandpa has a cold, not a death-sentence.

A 70-year old man likely will die sooner rather than later, so my advice is indeed to tell the client to get her head around it now. Make the best of his remaining days with her. Synastry might suggest how best to strengthen their relationship. This advice is eminently practical. Because if Grandpa lives 6+ years, she will have had 6+ years of an improved relationship, and a lifetime of enhanced memories. Isn't that better than momentary relief that Grandpa just has the sniffles, so now she can go on ignoring him till the next health crisis?

What do you offer? "Naw, Grandpa just has a cold-- he's fine," and with exactly what that is empowering coming out of your chart reading? She smiles, leaves, and is the same as when she walked in the (virtual) door.

Do you live each day as best you can? Are you on good terms with the people you care about, and the people who care about you? Are your finances in order? If not, don't knock it till you've tried it. If not, don't mock what works in my life. And not just for me personally. These are the teachings of any major religion and life-philosophy; as well as any personal finance guru.

Some of the eastern faiths in particular teach the value of not-knowing. It is the first step in relinquishing the buffeting from emotional turmoil that your brand of astrology finds inevitable; and consequently, ultimately reinforces.

With your extraordinary talents, Paul, you sell astrology and human nature far too short.

Paul_

Account Closed
Waybread,

Really quickly because I have very little time (I'll try to elaborate later).

But take your own example. Perhaps you were shaken and distressed by this prediction, but somehow life went on. Maybe you found love; or maybe not yet, but are optimistic that it's out there. Maybe you shrugged it off and focused on your career. (And what does your own horary say?)

I have not cast a horary, this is not how I use it. But my point was that not for everyone is a death prediction the end of the world. Some would laugh it off and one need only live past the time to break the 'spell'. Some other predictions could cripple someone and they could even take their own life (it does happen). I sometimes wonder when we discuss this if our ages are part of our processes - to someone in their early twenties, death is an abstract concept that happens to other people, the unlucky and the old. To an older person who has loved and lost and loved again, the idea of 'no love on the horizon' might not seem so bad. To someone young with their whole life of hopes and fears stretched ahead of them, that can be worse that a death sentence. For some death predictions are the worst thing ever, but to someone whose loved one is terminally ill and they need to know when to arrange flights, it's a lot different to the suicidal teenager.

It is possible we are shouting across a horary/genethliacal divide; but I think it's more that you express (if not believe) an unnecessarily limited, materialist* perspective on the nature of human beings. As I see it, of course.

Nope, not true, but as I don't discuss my philosophies here anything is up for grabs I guess.

Do you really do these people a favour by saying, "you're going to get a check in the mail in January"?

Yes, someone else needs to really recognise their pattern of behaviour before they're willing to change it. But that's not to say that you can't then put down your horary (for example) after you answer it, and then look at the nativity especially if they admit to a pattern of behaviour or events. The two are not mutually exclusive. In real life (outside of forums) this is exactly what I do. But if you come to me asking when will I get a job?! You'll find more help if I say look it's going to be a couple of months, than saying "shucks, no ideas, but let's look at what vocations are suitable for you" or "let's look at your behaviour and attitude about jobs". Sometimes you just need to know will I have money to pay the bills this month, or do I need to make some other preparations. Hey, maybe that's not true for you, but trust me that it's true of others, or at least that I believe so. Sometimes someone just needs the answer to the question first and foremost and not be preached at about how to live life or what philosophies to hold or what they need to do or change.

Nobody's going to take out a loan and fly home to be at Mum's bedside if she's unhappy about her love-life or she's had a tiff with the neighbours. Nobody needs to face a year of surgery, radiation, and chemo because they don't have a boyfriend.

Exactly right, but people do need to make plans with serious predictions like death or serious medical concerns. People do need to know whether to sell their car to pay for their medical expenses, or whether to tell that guy living in Australia or Canada to fly back to the UK (for example) to spend time with a loved one whilst they still can, and no, it can't wait til christmas like you thought. Or yes that lump is serious, some people need this. You may not, and you may not like it, and that's great. My advice is to not go to an astrologer and ask for that advice, but to respect that not everyone is the same and other people do feel they need that advice. And that's okay.

If you think I have advocated "empty platitudes" then you have not understood my message.

Not from my view point, from theirs. People dont' come to astrologers to be told "spend time with your loved ones whilst you can" - they come because they have real problems that need real solutions and guidance.

If I wanted a slippery slope lampoon of your position, I could acuse you of wanting to infantilize people. I could accuse you of being the one who can't handle the prospect of death since you are so anxious to reassure clients that grandpa has a cold, not a death-sentence.

Accuse the messenger for the message? Accuse the translator for what is translated?

I disagree. I do not run and hide and put my head in the sand over death. It happens. It's going to happen to me. It's going to happen to you. Hopefully not for a long time. But sometimes people are already aware of death and hear it knocking on the door, or have some terminal illness. THe question is often not about WILL I die, as much as knowing that death is imminent and we need to know when so we can make practical plans. I understand that you do not get this, or that you do not care about this or that you would rather this wasn't what people asked - if only they were so enlightened that they did not need to ask these questions. I understand it. I'm just too realistic because I recognise that whatever about the shoulds and the ideals, I'm living in this world with the reality that this isn't the case.

I have no anxiety to reassure you that grandpa has a cold, you have an anxiety to get an answer. It's my choice to answer it, and as I have absolutely ZERO reasons not to, I will and relieve your anxiety. As I said, I'd much rather you were a bit scared and anxious now about that lump and get it seen to, then ignore it and find out a few months later that you died. We each have to live with our choices. I only respect that you allow me the right to listen to MY conscience and not yours or someone else's. A simple request I would have thought.

With your extraordinary talents, Paul, you sell astrology and human nature far too short.

My talents (or not) aside, I like to think that instead of value judging other people's lack of perfection and rather than rebuke them for not sharing my views and philosophies that I offer to help others where I can. I do not sell human nature too short, I just respect that not everyone is just as perfect as I might like or as perfect as you would have them Waybread. Great, spend time with your loved ones whilst you can, what, you didn't? Oh you silly sausage - it helps nobody. I'd much rather try to understand that there are reasons that these people didn't - fears, anxieties, problems and issues that are deep rooted. Sure, we can start to unravel them in an astrological session, but it is ONLY at the say so of the querent/client. Not because we, in our infinite wisdom, dictate that they should.

Last edited:

Paul_

Account Closed
This is legal advice about your laws, Paul, not mine. I mentioned above that due to fortune-telling laws in the US, many astrologers advise their clients that they can't expect rock-solid predictions; and have even been advised to say that their chart readings are for "entertainment purposes only."

Great, so is it ethical if I offer death prediction and make the legal caveats?

Sure some people are not 'risk takers' as you put it, the only question is whether 'risk takers' are unethical.

If you look at modern astrology plus many materials on horary and traditional published in the past century, the primer on death-clock astrology just isn't there. It's nowhere.

What primer on death-clock astrology? What is death clock astrology? Are you telling me that nowhere in your books does it give details that you can use to work out how to make a forecast of death? Really? What horary books do you have exactly?
I agree that not many modern astrology books will mention death explicitly like that, instead they talk about things which pertain to death, things to do with forecasting and leave it up to you what you do with it, but a lot of modern astrologers do not actually believe you can predict anything and still others think you shouldn't.

Do you agree with them? Great practice that astrology then.

I don't, so I don't.

Are we trying to imply that modern astrology is the Paragon of Ethics? Or that anything which contradicts it is, by extension, unethical? Are you trying to imply that the Modern Astrologer does not predict death? What is Alice McDermott!? What about all the examples of astrologers that Clinton gave? Who are these people? If you are talking about ethics by consensus - and I have to say with arguments like these I struggle to see any way in which you're not arguing that ethics is a matter of a popularity vote - then where are all these people rushing to your defence? You're pretty much fighting it out solo here. I admire that and I respect that, but if it really was the case that so many are against death prediction, where are they? Maybe it's not as black and white as you think, or maybe the numbers are not quite what you think they are?

How do you explain this absence of death prediction techniques if there weren't specific rules and regs against it outside of a few professional societies? The reasons are historical, cultural, and (in my opinion) a big dose of common sense about the potential repercussions. The community of astrologers, whether professional or amateur, collectively decided Not To Go There.

And that's great for those professional societies. You should join them if you haven't already as you seem to agree with them. I don't. So I don't join them. I don't care what Liz Greene has to say against death prediction, and I don't care about what the APAI says against prediction IN GENERAL. I don't follow their conscience or their ethical code. I follow mine.
How do I explain the absence? I don't - I don't disagree that there are people who don't do death prediction, and that modern astrology as a whole is not geared up with prediction in mind. So what does this tell me about my ethics? Nothing. It tells me about style and about what others' views are about ethics.

If you have Al Biruni and you have some horary books, I'm surprised there's no inidicators for longevity of life or that which affects mortality. You may have the books, but have you really studied them? What horary books do you have which do not mention death?

Again, please step forward he who has the greatest ethical system.

I am merely proposing that we keep what works.

No, you're saying keep what I'm comfortable with. Death prediction works. It's been part of the tradition for millennia. It works. I'm saying 'keep what works' for you if it works for you. You're saying "keep what works for me" instead.

Right now, when some confused soul on this forum asks if the moon progressing into his 8th house means that Mum is going to die because his astro-buddy said so, most of us would confidently say no, and that death prediction isn't something we do as astrologers. Thanks to you, now we can't do that, and this opens up a huge Pandora's Box for vulernable and frightened posters; and people like moi who try to reassure them.

Thanks to me. Guess you're going to have to think of a more educated or more subtle reason for denying death prediction than saying "astrologers don't do that", because clearly, as people like me and Alice and many others show, SOME astrologers do predict death. If you were looking for some simple blanket reason to hide from doing death prediction, and you're annoyed I've denied you that, well frankly that's something you need to deal with. I'm not here to provide you excuses for not doing something. If you do not want to do death prediction, that's the honest approach to take say "I do not believe in death prediction so I refute that prediction".

You are connected to a larger body of astrologers and consumers of astrology, but you appear to disregard or deny it and to think as a Lone Ranger. (Metaphor, naturally; but one you understand.)

No, I just take responsibility for my own actions and because of that fundamental point I follow my conscience. I do not follow yours. That's all.

Paul_

Account Closed
Waybread

Apologies for the scattered posts.

Thought Experiment:

Imagine that most astrologers practice the kind of astrology I do. Societies tend to draw up ethics codes along the following lines:
"if you see significations of death, it is your duty as an astrologer to inform the client about these significations even by assuring them that no astrological signification is 100% determined"

OR some other code which indicates that it's UNETHICAL to not predict death in some situations.

What do you do now Waybread? Give up astrology because your view runs contrary to popularity? Or go ahead and be accused of being a Lone Ranger astrologer?

waybread

Paul, my time and taste for this thread are rapidly diminishing, and it seems that each paragraph that one of us posts leads only to expanded posts that generate words but little common insight.

I am tired of having my points repeatedly misrepresented or misunderstood. This might go down better if you could drop the sarcasm.

Bottom line.

1. Responsibility and irresponsibility cut across different axes or scales. Only one of these scales is your individual interactions with particular clients.

2. You encourage or discourage others by your actions and words from undertaking or requesting death prediction.

You are not content just quietly and discretely to undertake your own practice. No, you have to broadcast the feasibility and desirability of death prediction--based on your own solo experiences-- over at least two Internet forums.

3. You seem to feel that if you personally are good at death prediction, it doesn't matter that hardly anybody else will attain your level of talent and expertise. Yet paradoxically you acknowledged that astrologers who don't meet particular criteria should not attempt death prediction, yet that you can't stop them. And now you've encouraged amateur astrologers, newbies, and even fraudsters by positioning yourself as someone to emulate (deliberately or inadvertently, doesn't matter.)

4. You seem unconcerned as to the fall-out of death prediction on clients/posters or on the practice of astrology itself. (Someone on this thread, I believe, said that death prediction is now illegal in India, but I haven't been able to verify it.) Your motto seems to be, "Follow your own conscience, for your own individual world, and the heck with everybody else, regardless of any harm you may cause at a supra-individual scale."

You like "thought experiments"? I propose, instead, that you make a serious study of applied ethics; notably medical ethics, which deals with actual life-and-death situations, not mind-games. I don't find games-playing to be constructive, notably when they are patently set-ups and not apt analogies for real life.

But since you seem to enjoy mind-games, here's one for you, which is based upon actual events.* Imagine that you are an expert high-altitude mountaineer. You've scaled Mount Everest and comparable peaks multiple times, with a perfect safety record. Now you're in the guiding business in Nepal, with clients who have paid fees of about $40K for you to take them up Mount Everest. The climb also involves the safety of Sherpas hired as porters and cooks; and to some extent the other parties on the mountain whose backed-up climbs could turn disastrous if your clients can't achieve your climb exactly as scheduled. You don't know first-hand whether these clients have the experience, strength, and skills to attempt an extreme climb. But they all avow they can handle it, are all happy to sign a waiver acknowledging that climbing is inherently dangerous and that they will not hold you liable if accidents happen.

Do you guide them, anyway? Why or why not? (*One example is in Jon Krakauer, Into Thin Air.)

Last edited:

waybread

p.s., Paul, My two horary books are Olivia Barclay, Horary Astrology Rediscovered; and Karen Hamaker-Zondag, Handbook of Horary Astrology. I've read them cover-to-cover. Barclay doesn't mention individual death prediction, although she has a mundane chapter on past mass disasters; and KHZ mentions it only to warn against individual death prediction.

I trust that none of us is living in the world prior to 1700 C. E.

Waybread states:

Cinton, if you are trying to convince me that death prediction is doable and a good idea based on individual examples, it's not worth your while. I have (and could again) equally pile up examples of astrological and religious death predictions that were utterly mistaken.

Where does this get us? Not to a high level of confidence, that's for sure.

If one has studied Heindel's data from the Rosicrucian Fellowship, namely has taken their astrology courses, read their books, one knows people who are fixed are exactly that. And if one has fixed signs on the angles the nativity is both ultra cautious and hard to move, so I doubt with that fixed Aqu Sol of yours that you are going to be convinced of anything one says regardless of how rational or logical the point is made.

IE. If one is born as a Moslem with many fixed placements, like the angles as well are fixed I doubt anyone could convince them that they are wrong to totally follow the Queran, Koran, as it teaches '...it was not Jesus who was crucified but another took his place..'

IE. #2 IF one had almost exactly the same horoscope yet was born in Israel I doubt anyone could convince them to convert to Islam or Christianity!

IE. #3 If one as a relative of mine is the son of a fundamentalist minister, Capricorn Apollo, hard headed, can't convince him of the astrological pro scriptures. I doubt he would even bother reading pro Jewish documents or scriptures from the Queran, Koran that support the Old Testament!

Waybread:

As I mentioned above, there is a Catch-22 in death prediction. If you believe in a fatalistic astrology, Lombard couldn't have avoided her fate. Or she might have been hit by a bus that day. The unheeded predictions and the death were merely the universe unfolding as it would. If you believe in a more open, choice-centered view of astrology, then there's no point in pinpoint prediction of future events, because the future is much more up for grabs. A given configuration in a horoscope might suggest difficulties, yet these could manifest themselves in different ways.

[deleted trolling comments - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Mandy

Here, Paul, is also the psychological code of ethics. http://www.bps.org.uk/system/files/documents/code_of_ethics_and_conduct.pdf

Paul, you ask about numbers. The (vast) majority of people (which I know) do not have a favourable opinion of astrologers or of astrology. Of the ones which you have worked with, are you aware of how many have suffered unnecessary anxiety as an outcome of your predictions, a year or six months after a consultation with you? Are you aware of how that came about, for instance, whether they regret going through with the reading? Is that your concern?

I agree fully with Waybread's careful, intelligent and comprehensive analyses, throughout. If it has been not mentioned already, I think also that it is unethical to make money out of vulnerable individuals in society, or to charge them to make them (feel) vulnerable.

When I did my psychology degree, my dissertation (experimental research) looked into whether task-irrelevant (to be ignored) faces in the periphery (of the screen) were processed when attentional resources were consumed fully by the on-screen task. Even for something so banal, I had to provide for all those who participated options for psychological support (at no cost to them) if they felt psychologically disturbed in any way by participating in my research. Every practitioner and every researcher and every student has to provide that for their (paying/unpaying) participants. I hope, Paul, that you will take the time to read and understand the psychological code of ethics. Death is inevitable, but the world is a better place when ethical standards are upheld when interacting with one another. Ethical behaviour goes a long way. Death prediction in astrology, according to any standard of ethics, does not belong to this category of behaviour.

Last edited:

Marinka

Death is inevitable, but the world is a better place when ethical standards are upheld when interacting with one another. Ethical behaviour goes a long way. Death prediction in astrology, according to any standard of ethics, does not belong to this category of behaviour.

Everyone lives by their own standards ... if someone requests information on their illness, the act of asking implies that it is OK with their standards hearing what might be good news or bad. This becomes a transaction (with money involved) between the astrologer and the client and they both decide how they will handle it ........ I'm confused as to why other people that will not be hurt by this transaction and really have nothing to do with it feel that they need to regulate it?

There is no "one" standard although many people would like to apply their particular standards (beliefs) onto everyone else ... better left for the people involved in a situation like this to hammer out as they see fit and according to their individual standards.

waybread

A big (((wahoo!))) to you, Mandy. Thank you for your thoughtful, informed response.

A point that just isn't getting across somehow is the interaction between personal ethical standards (which may vary considerably) and what a society or a profession has a right to expect for the protection of its vulnerable clients and members' reputations. A choice that seems ethical at a personal, individual scale, may have more negative repercussions in the future and at a societal scale. As autonomous individuals, we don't live in a world somehow insulated from our membership in society.

As you know, universities have strict ethics requirements for research involving human subjects, as well as animals. Possibly your research proposal also had to pass through a university committee and/or research ethics specialist in your campus research office.

Would anybody here want to pay for the services of a lawyer who refused to commit to his law society's ethics codes? What about a MD who wouldn't pledge to the Hippcratic Oath? Would you seek out the services of a clinical psychologist who thought nothing of frightening you when you felt suicidal? This is what common-cause and common-sense ethics codes as well as many professional unwritten rules are here to protect you against.

There is a bigger world out there than just our individual feelings.

Mandy

Everyone lives by their own standards ... if someone requests information on their illness, the act of asking implies that it is OK with their standards hearing what might be good news or bad. This becomes a transaction (with money involved) between the astrologer and the client and they both decide how they will handle it ........ I'm confused as to why other people that will not be hurt by this transaction and really have nothing to do with it feel that they need to regulate it?

Because (additionally), Marinka, an individual may be not informed sufficiently about the box they are opening. A child needs to be taught to not touch the oven, to not play with matches, to not cross the road.

There is a wide gap between an astrologer and a layperson. The layperson is under many false assumptions about the power of the astrologer, and astrological practice in general. We see this daily on this forum when members need to be reminded of limitations. I am testament to this. I'd had a fascination with astrology since forever. I could have purchased a reading at some point but just did not. I joined this forum and read pertinent literature. Together, now that I am informed, I am no longer an advocate of astrology. I have deleted my 100 strong astro.com profile. In my two years here, I have come to see that astrology (in my eyes, of course) is a futile enterprise. At best, the benefit does not outweigh the cost. At worst, I have seen people commonly become slave to powers other than their own.

There is no "one" standard although many people would like to apply their particular standards (beliefs) onto everyone else ... better left for the people involved in a situation like this to hammer out as they see fit and according to their individual standards.

So that would mean we let vulnerable people become acquanted with militant individuals who predict the ghastly future and provide no support, and just leave them to "hammer" it out. I am not cut from that cloth. I know better. Nobody can stop someone doing something if they really want to, so I can understand that this mess about prediction will continue. Is it ethical? No.

I am compelled to add that I find it interesting from a research perspective how certain individuals who consult horaries and electional charts about critical facets of their lives, nevertheless remain none the wiser as to how to actually become a success. Surely, such insight should give them the upper hand over those of us who walk through life uninformed. Ironically, real research shows the opposite pattern, but I degress.

To conclude, if people want to drink alcohol and drive, and this is an informed decision, fine. If people get behind the wheel without having full knowledge of the effects of what they have just thrown back, I pin responsibility on to the body making the drinks. And those who want to practice but evade responsibility (ethical, as outlined previous post) are spineless and unprofessional and, really, should question the (true, underlying) reasons behind these motives.

Last edited:

poyi

Premium Member
I believe as per information I can see through the thread. There are several currently practicing professional astrologers already expressed their views. And I personally, don't think anyone carrying any higher authority over anyone else as per life experiences or as per professional practice or as per religious belief or as per how much Googling they had done or as per how much references they quoted.

However, for those actually working as professional astrologers. I have great respect of the works they do for real life clients. Who are we not ever worked in such field to judge those working for years and decades?

At the end, everyone should respect other person's point of view and don't force your own view on other in anyway, innocently or to proof yourself is better than anyone else.

I think at the end, we should just respect that everyone is different.
I am not you and you are not me. It is impossible to be the same. I respect your Free Will, and You respect my Free Will.

Last edited: