Synastry vs Davison vs Composite

remabelle

Hi All.
I was wondering if any of you could help me to understand the differences between synastry , composite and davison charts or if there is any information about it somewhere in the forum that I can star reading.

I understand the differences regarding how they are built high level.. but I do not get on which angles or specific areas within a relationship does each one focus.

How does an "awfull" composite fit with a good synastry? which one is stronger? What is the perspective the Davison chart shows (its focus) respect of the Composite and how they fit together?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

AJ Astrology

Hi All.
I was wondering if any of you could help me to understand the differences between synastry , composite and davison charts or if there is any information about it somewhere in the forum that I can star reading.

I understand the differences regarding how they are built high level.. but I do not get on which angles or specific areas within a relationship does each one focus.

How does an "awfull" composite fit with a good synastry? which one is stronger? What is the perspective the Davison chart shows (its focus) respect of the Composite and how they fit together?

Thank you for your help!

Hi remabelle,

A Finnish mathematician and statistician did a review of several thousand charts and found that the synastry method works, but Davidson and composite charts are invalid and don't work at all. His name is Kyosti Tarvainen and his work was published in a peer-reviewed journal called Correlation.

Synastry can be used for any relationship. It's not limited to just intimate relationships. You can use it for partners, friends, parents/children, siblings and just about any other relationship.

For intimate relationships, 3 houses are critical: H1, H5 and H7.

You want to see your Sun and your partner's H1/H5/H7 and your partner's Sun in your H1/H5/H7.

What do you see in this chart?

attachment.php

Well, he's the outer wheel and his Sun is in her H5.

Where's her Sun?

It's in his H10.

It's not that she didn't love him, it's just that she loved his power and position more.

His Moon is in her H1. He loved her a lot, perhaps too much.

Her H1 ruler Jupiter in his H4. She like his house.

Not really a lot of synastry here. Moon square Venus, Mercury square Saturn, Mercury joining Mars is rarely good, and Venus opposition Saturn.

He loved her, but she was in love with the idea of being in love with him, which is why the marriage didn't last very long.

Here's another:

attachment.php

Her Sun his H1 and his H1 ruler her H5 and her H5 ruler sextiles his H1 ruler.

Moon trine Mercury, Moon trine Jupiter, and Venus is joined with Venus.

That's all you need. That marriage has lasted 50+ years.

The idea that you need dozens of aspects is absurd, because you don't. It's all about the placement of the significators in houses.

I don't want to down-play aspects, because they are important to some extent, but it's more about the placement of the significators

In the first chart, the Venus/Saturn opposition was important and it destroyed the marriage.

Attachments

• Synastry NB-OS.jpg
    Synastry NB-OS.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 290
  • Synastry JB-TB.jpg
    Synastry JB-TB.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 305

remabelle

Hi AJ,
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Its tricky for me, as I am a newy to follow..your reasoning
Her (Blue) Sun is in his H1 Scorpio and Scorpio ruler Pluto: His Pluto is in her H1 and her Pluto in his H11. His mars in in her H10, her MArs is in his H1
Her Sun is in his H6

There is an overlapping of house for both as the share AsC.
Her Venus Conjunct his Neptune. His Jupiter Her North Node and his saturn her Pluto.

Not much more to say Im Afraid but i can not get the meaning.

Could you help me?
Thanks
mabel

Attachments

• astro_61gw_bbb_jjj.3062.112054.jpg
    astro_61gw_bbb_jjj.3062.112054.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 27

thelivingsky

Hi All.

Barb at thelivingsky.wordpress.com
Thank you for your help!

I rarely see really awful synastry then with a really good composite or vice versa. And usually, but not always, if there is a big negative issue in the synastry it is echoed in the composite. Both synastry and composite are valid ways to understand relationships.

The synastry is good method of looking for areas of incompatibility and usually if the aspects are not to significant (multiple planets involved or luminaries in H6 or H12) one can use the insights in the synastry to work to improve these snags and improve the relationship.

The composite however seems to be a picture of the whole of the relationship and its fate. A kind of gestalt if you will. IMO it will give a simple quick measure of the chances for the relationship to be long-lasting or to ascertain that it will be a more fleeting fated "learning experience"Or a lifetime of misery and unfulfillment if the parties don't have the courage to move on.

In both the strength of the luminaries is most important.

Davison charts are usually very much like the standard composites so rarely do they reveal a huge different insight.

Relationship astrology is my specialty and I have been doing this for 45 years. I have looked at hundreds of composite charts and watched couples over the decades stay together and break apart. I have been working on composite charts most intensely, and I think I have found 5 features of composites that promise longevity - But every once in awhile I find an exception to my "rules." And I have to say that it is very difficult to advise clients in this area because people never want to admit or entertain the notion that their relationship is doomed or very dysfunctional until they have passed a certain stage of denial.

remabelle

Hi thelivingsky,
oh wow, thanks for the detailed reply.
So i f I get it correctly you mean that the basis of any relationship analysis should be the Composite, Correct?

Then if the composite gives hope for a relationship to start or

last then sysnastry can be used in a second step as an instrument to work on it and make it better or counterbalance it. But not the other way aroung

Composite =the basic general picture or the outcome

Synastry= the shades and detailes, and the elements in place

Eg. if the composite shows strong negative " uranian" or "plutonian" energies that remaing the context.. even if in synastry you could see one sun in partner H4 and the other sun in partner H1, or moon jupiter trines it would be always in the context of Uncertanty and regeneration BUT there is no chance that Synastry "compensates" the composite, make it more stable,

Is my assumption correct?

Thanks
Mabelle

thelivingsky

That is how I use them. The composite first to look at the potential or purpose of the relationship. Then synastry to look for strengths and problems. Not everyone agrees with me on this.

As said I have seen a very few couples with very difficult composites but their very good synastry seemed to be enough to hold them together. And by very good I mean there are at least two good aspects between luminaries and not much else that is ominous. But if you see a composite with t-squares of outer planets and the Sun or Moon (especially Uranus or Pluto) That will be a very difficult union.

If the Nodes fall with the Sun or Moon or on the MC/IC or if the N.NOde (not s.node) is on the composite ASc. these are good indicators of longevity. Also if the Nodes square a stellium or conjunction of the Sun or Moon that also shows up in long-lasting relationships. Squares of the Nodes to these major composite elements seems counter-intuitive but it is what I have seen. I was surprised to see this come up again and again. But the evolutionary astrologers teach that when the Nodes square a planet in a natal chart it is a sign of a "skipped step" in past lifetime and that the individual will be destined to focus on that skipped step symbolized by the planet in this lifetime. So perhaps they are on to something and in the composite the Nodes squaring the Sun or the ASC suggest a karmic need to have this relationship.

Last edited:

remabelle

Hi,

This time has taken me longer to process it, sorry.
Thanks again for your reply. I dont think there is much hope then for the chart Im looking at, T squared uranus at the center Scorpio, to stelium in Leo ( moon Jupiter mercury nord node) and Sun an venus in Aquarius. Birth time is not accurate

The sinastry shows "only" Sun/Uranus opposition, but is full of trines between moon and Jupiter (both partnerts) jupiter conjunt Sun ( both partners) and mars trine Venus (both partners).

I just had a look at your blog! Nice job ( i like the "Shadow" part!)

Do you "believe" in Sabian Symbols? My Sun is scorpio 19 degrees.. its supposed to be the accursed degree in the accursed sign.. should I worry?

Thanks
MAbelle

thelivingsky

Remabelle,

There's no such thing as a "cursed sign." They each have their purpose, their strengths and possible weaknesses. Scorpio has gotten a bad rap in modern era with the symbol of the scorpion and serpent both carrying negative symbology in Western Culture. But there are 2 other traditional symbols for Scorpio : the eagle, the phoenix.

The strongest and most loyal people I know are Scorpios. As for those "critical degrees" ideas, the only ones I buy into are 15 degrees of fixed signs and zero of the cardinal signs.

As for the Sabian symbols I am uncertain about how much influence hey have in natal astrology.