What is your Chart Ruler

Hi,

I was just thinking about Chart Rulers and how big an influence are they are in the Birth Chart.

My Ascendant is Virgo so my Chart Ruler is Mercury.

My Mercury is in Pisces, In the 7th house.
Mercury conjuncts Moon
Mercury Sextile Venus
Mercury Trine Jupiter
Mercury Trine Uranus
Mercury Square Neptune

My mind is sensitive and absorbs information rather than consciously learning it, ideas and solutions seem to surface rather than being actually worked out. Highly imaginative. (Mercury in Pisces)

I like partners who are intelligent. My mind is very capable of tuning in to facts and figures about others. (Mercury in 7th)

It is not easy for me to divorce my thoughts from my feelings, Maybe unresolved emotional issues get in the way of clear thinking. (Moon Conjuncts Mercury)

Artistic flow with words. Writing well comes naturally.(Mercury Sextile Venus)

In any event I have a well equipped intellect. Will little conscious effort I readily attract information and contacts. Law, languages, teaching, journalism, publishing, or any subject that requires a grasp of both the general and the paticular is something in which I can excel. In short you have intelligence (Mercury Trine Jupiter)

By the way I am getting these meanings from my books so I'm not being big headed, just in case you thought I had a massive ego. :D

A significant quality of my mind is naturally in tune with the times. I am able to grasp information quickly- or even out of thin air. Being so intuitive I would do well in Science or Metaphysical disciplines. (Mercury Trine Uranus)

MY thoughts are fantasy prone, and I cannot help but see beyond the logical. How much I manage my highly perceptive nature will depend on my personality as a whole. If my imagination was recieved in the right way as a child, I will feel happy, and follow the flight of my imagination. But if my mental sensitivity is denied, I can be vague or convoluted to the point of not making myself clear. (Mercury Square Neptune)

Since I have put you all through the torture of reading about me :) I will try to work this out as best as I can. If any one has any input on the interpretation it would be helpful, as I am still in the process of fitting all this together.

Firstly I think my emotions and rationlizing do work together, especially in relationships my feelings will overtake rational thought. I am very forgetful and need to focus my mind, I will sometimes have to read information over and over again till it sinks in. I had hearing difficulties as a child and needed a minor operation to fix it this is probably connected to my Mercury Squaring Neptune. My strong interests in Astrology, is from my Mercury/Moon Trining Uranus in the third house. Jupiter also Trines Uranus , I look for the higher meanig in Astrology God perhaps. Also Neptune connecting to Mercury I seek spirituality. Jupiter in the 11th house communicating my information through groups here on this Astrology forum. As my Jupiter is Retrogade though I am internalizing all this before I externalize my energies from that house.

I guess Mercury being the Chart Ruler, communication will be high focus of mine. I enjoy learning, well only about Astrology, Afterlife, Reincarnation. All the spiritual growth, unusual subjects. I love to broaden my mind open it up. I find the more open I am becoming, the more my mind is growing I feel in the last couple of months I have progressed a lot in my thinking. A year ago I was not in the same mind frame of understanding. Since coming to this forum and finding other people who hold similar thoughts beliefs and interests, I have loved talking about all these things. In my everyday life no one is interested in all of this stuff, I enjoy the outlet this forum has given me.

Does Mercury have a big influence on my life I would have to say yes.

What is your Chart Ruler and how does it influence your life. Is it important in your chart?

Miss S

CalicoDreams

My Ascendant is Sagittarius, and Jupiter rules the Sag... so my chart ruler is Jupiter.

I'm still very much a beginner, so ..please don't mind my stupidity in any of this ..heh.

I have:

Jupiter Square Pluto
Sun Trine Jupiter
Venus Trine Jupiter

I think all three of these aspects are not very harmonious, right?

Also, could you say that you could develop some traits described as keywords for your chart ruler -- or planet? Because besides me being a Sagittarius, full on, I find myself happier than most ..and sometimes foolishly brushing away problems, and believing everything will be alright.. and yes, even indulging in foods.

FlyAway

Some signs are ruled by two different planets, that's why I'm not sure which planet rules my chart.

The sign of Scorpio is traditionally ruled by Mars, although Pluto has also been assigned rulership since its discovery in 1930.

Pluto in Virgo, 10th house
Pluto trine Saturn
Pluto square Venus
Pluto sextile Moon
Pluto sextile Mercury
Pluto sextile Jupiter
Pluto sextile Neptune

Mars in Aquarius, 3rd house
Mars conj. North Node
Mars opp. South Node
Mars trine Venus
Mars square Moon
Mars square Jupiter
Mars square Ascendent (Scorpio)

My chart ruler seems to be quite busy ;)
I need to do some analyzing first before I can tell whether Pluto or Mars is really in charge.

Edit: I would prefer the influence of Mars, which is more dynamic,
but I fear that Pluto has the strongest influence.
It radiates gloriously the dark sides of Scorpio.
Not that I'm thrilled by that, but during the course of my life I got used to it :)

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

Edit: I would prefer the influence of Mars, which is more dynamic,
but I fear that Pluto has the strongest influence.
It radiates gloriously the dark sides of Scorpio.
Not that I'm thrilled by that, but during the course of my life I got used to it

This is ironic, as I am Aries (possibly Pisces) Rising and would prefer the influence of Pluto! I suppose the grass is always greener...:D

Arian Maverick

Manic_Monday

I have Sagittarius rising, so my chart ruler is Jupiter. Jupiter is in Leo, house 7.
It doesn't make many aspects:
Mars sextile Jupiter
Jupiter quincunx Ascendant

Jupiter in the 7th house makes me very lucky in relationships. Actually, I'm always lucky. I'm known for my luckyness, hehe. That'll be Mars sextile Jupiter. I'm still trying to find out what Jupiter quincunx Ascendant means.

Francesca

Having Virgo rising, I have always considered Mercury my chart ruler, but for the past month I have been having my chart analyzed by an archetypal astrologer who says the chart is Neptunian. Here's his reasoning:

1.Neptune squares my sun,moon,mercury and venus in Cancer in the 11th house, making it a strong influence.
2. I have an intercepted house causing neptune to duplicate rulership over the 7th and 8th house,
3.and Saturn and Pluto are conjunct in Neptune's house, the 12th.

This guy only does chartwork on weekends and emails me about a different aspect of my chart every weekend. Very interesting. What do you think, is he right or wrong?

Sanem

I'm a Capricorn Ascendant, with the following aspects:

Saturn in the Tenth House
Saturn in Scorpio
Saturn Conjunct Midheaven
Mars Opposition Saturn
Moon Trine Saturn
Venus Trine Saturn
Saturn Sextile Ascendant

Which would explain why I feel much more like a Capricorn than my Sun Sign, Taurus.

Not sure yet what it all means in detail yet. But I'm learning, by the Moon I'm learning.

I have Aries rising.

My chart ruler is therefore is Mars. It is placed in Gemini and the 3rd house.

My mars' aspects are:

Mars sextile asc
Mars sextile jupiter
Mars opposed neptune
Mars trine moon
Mars trine pluto
Mars bq uranus
Mars semisquare saturn

I really haven't paid attention to the lesser aspects and am still struggling with understanding what mars opposed neptune means. But it is interesting to note that I suffer from eczema and acne on my shoulders and face at times (caused by mars - irritation and redness, neptune - ruler of skin).

I suppose in particular my mars sex asc/jupiter has added to my ability to cut to the chase in my chosen profession (legal).

Mars in 3rd/gemini also makes me think a lot more quicker and agressively than otherwise. I am known for being both blunt, witty, caustic and not mincing my words with my peers.

Again, I don't really know what to think of my moon trine mars aspect, maybe just adds passion to my emotions?

Mars trine pluto is my favourite aspect in the whole of my chart though, it gives me a steeliness that others don't really know about until they push me!

Miss Saturn said:
Hi,

My Mercury is in Pisces, In the 7th house.

I like partners who are intelligent. My mind is very capable of tuning in to facts and figures about others. (Mercury in 7th)

7th house - Probably also the ability to maybe to see relationships between things and this probably also adds to an ease with law, seeing both sides.

Arien,

Just read your post and you don't know whether your Pisces Rising or Aries Rising. This much be pretty annoying when you want to know which planet is your Chart Ruler.

I was reading about Transits and here is what it said about transiting Mars.

[deleted quote of copyrighted text without owner's permission - Moderator]

This may help you.

Miss S

Last edited by a moderator:

pisceskitty

Hi!

I have Libra rising. Therefor my chart ruler is Venus.

My Venus is in Pisces in the 5th house:

Venus Conj. Sun
Venus trine Pallas
Venus sextile N.node
Venus trine S.node
Venus square Saturn[don't get me started!]
Venus trine Pt. fortune
Venus Sextile Mars
I tend to fall in love with men who are spiritual, and artistic. With my Venus in the 5th I love--and i mean LOVE children!! I can't pass a baby on the street without going bonkers!:)

Last edited:

Lunar Pisces

My chart ruler is Mercury (Virgo ASC).

My Mercury is dignified in Gem in the 10H. Mercury is also prime dispositor of my chart and my most diginified planet.

Merc's a busybody in my chart, one of the major focal points:

- Conjunct MC
- Conjunct Sun in Gemini
- Conjunct Ceres and Anubis in Gemini
- Conjunct fixed star Hoedus I
- Trine Mars, NN, and Vertex in Aqua and Uranus and Lilith in Libra (air grand trine)
- Squares ASC and Pluto in Virgo and DESC and Moon in Pisces (mutable t-square)
- sextile Chiron in Aries
- semisextile Pallas in Taurus and Juno in Cancer

Suffice to say I'm very Mercurial. I love writing, language and knowledge. I'm intensely curious, I'm a life long learner, I'm an extremely cerebral person. I was gifted as a kid, and I qualify for Mensa, although I've never actually joined (never got around to it). I can be blunt, condescending, critical and glib. I'm nervous and easily burn out. I'm emotionally detached. I'm fickle and I bore easily, yadda yadda.

The Uranus and Mars aspects make me very energetic and idiosyncratic in my thinking. I'm pretty "out there" for many people, and it's often hard for me to relate to the way other people think. The Sun conjunction indicates how profoundly Merc is involved in my self of self and self-worth - I pretty much base all my self-worth on my intelligence. Chiron aspecting indicates how easily I can be wounded by insults to my intelligence or by intellectual failures.

Uranus also gives me a lot of intellectual independence and a kind of maverick sensibility about intellectual endeavors. I rely very little on others' input, and I recognize and deflect a lot of social and cultural influences that others don't notice. Other people say they think for themselves - I, honestly, can say I actually do (I'm also a little arrogant).

My t-square with Pluto, Moon and Merc provides a lot of psychological and emotional intensity to my self expression and my intellectual ambitions. With Pluto, Moon and Mars all aspecting Merc,I can often articulate with ease my deepest passions, emotions and even my anger and rage, evne if sometimes it's a little past overkill

The specific, more minor aspects with my Merc are pretty interesting. In particular, Anubis (which is also conjunct my MC) concerns death and the darker side of life, and much of my fiction, poetic and philosophical writings explore that.

Last edited:
Also with my chart Ruler, It is in the opposite house I'm not sure the significance of this, does it function poorly here.

This is what I have read on the Ruling planet - It governs the link between your exterior being and your interior being - To read your Ruling Planet and it's profile keeping this is mind.

I still don't know what this means, it is not a full explanation of how important is this Ruling Planet in the Birth Chart.

Miss S

franklin taylor

Hello,
My Aquarius Rising should indicate Uranus as my chart ruler. I kinda subscribe to Stephen Arroyo's opinion in is book "Chart Interpetation Handbook" that Aquarius Rising natives should also take in account Saturn, Aquarius' co-ruler. Aqu Asc natives are not as rebellious as Aqu Sun natives and are more attuned to convention (Saturn) than Aqu Sun natives. The cold detachment, speed of thinking, perception, love of shocking those around them is present in both. Aquarius Rising are a bit more grounded. With my Uranus in the seventh house I can see how its energy played out with relationships and its conjuncted with Pluto. Its almost strange, I did not realize until a while back the only two relationships with the opposite sex that I ever was serious about ( One I married) they both were Aquarius Suns with Scorpio Moons. My seventh house Sun semisextiles that U/P conjunction. I also have some Neptune tendencies (some of its better attributes) I feel in my psyche and personally somewhere between Saturn and Neptune (a little hazy at times and yet fairly well grounded) but isn't that where Uranus lies in our solar system?
Take Care.
Franklin

FlyAway

My ascendant is also in Scorpio.
But I'm still not sure whether to use Pluto or Mars as my chart ruler.
It feels somehow "safer" to use a classical ruler.
And since my Mars has better aspects than my Pluto, I don't mind ;)

Last edited:

archergirl

I tend to use the traditional ruler in a chart, with the 'newer' outer planets as the frosting on the cake...

I've got Aquarius rising, as well; traditional ruler Saturn in Taurus in 3rd house, retrograde:

conjunct Moon
opposing Jupiter
sextile Mars
trine Sun
squaring (by a wide orb) the ascendant

and I don't bother with quintiles, sesquiquadrates, etc...

new ruler Uranus in Libra in the 8th makes fewer aspects:

square Mercury
trines ascendant

I would say that I am closer in description to Saturn, rather than Uranus, although I am not Saturnine in appearance (I'm not dark or tall, nor have particularly great bone structure!). As for Uranus, I have strong revolutionary tendencies, am obsessively independent, and possess all the sharp wit and bluntness that could be expected from a Sagittarius with Mercury squaring Uranus.:D

FlyAway

In that case I will study my Mars a bit closer.

But still think that Aquarius and Saturn don't match.
Well perhaps if Saturn would be a lively old grandpa who likes a good joke from time to time ;)

archergirl

But Aquarius and Saturn -do- fit together quite well, as Aquarius is a fixed sign and Saturn is the ruler, amongst other things, of all things structural, which implies fixity. Not all Aquarian-influenced people are revolutionaries, nor do all of them dress weirdly or think weirdly, etc., BUT most Aquarians tend to have a deeply pragmatic and/or stubborn streak, which, combined with their fixed nature, gives them a groundedness that the other two air signs often lack. My grandpa, for example, was the quintessential Aquarius: tall and Saturnine in appearance, a very clever man with a knack for electronics (he called the radio coordinates for bombers during WW2), and a bit like Mr Fixit, could make just about anything out of a wad of chewing gum and some bailing wire. He was also very melancholy (Saturn), a loner (Saturn), and about the most stubborn man in existence, according to my gran, that is! Saturn and Uranus are *not* completely incompatible entities, but complimentary, IMO. It takes one to have the other; like the goddess Kali, they embody the opposite natures of the same thing: you can't have structure (Saturn) without deconstruction (Uranus); you cannot have a revolution (Uranus) without a pre-existing government (Saturn) to unseat.

Rubella

Pisceskitty,

"I have Libra rising. Therefor my chart ruler is Venus.

My Venus is in Pisces in the 5th house"

Me too! only my venus is in the 6th :)

So is the difference between us is the way our venus in pisces is manifested?

FlyAway

archergirl said:
But Aquarius and Saturn -do- fit together quite well, as Aquarius is a fixed sign and Saturn is the ruler, amongst other things, of all things structural, which implies fixity. Not all Aquarian-influenced people are revolutionaries, nor do all of them dress weirdly or think weirdly, etc., BUT most Aquarians tend to have a deeply pragmatic and/or stubborn streak, which, combined with their fixed nature, gives them a groundedness that the other two air signs often lack. My grandpa, for example, was the quintessential Aquarius: tall and Saturnine in appearance, a very clever man with a knack for electronics (he called the radio coordinates for bombers during WW2), and a bit like Mr Fixit, could make just about anything out of a wad of chewing gum and some bailing wire. He was also very melancholy (Saturn), a loner (Saturn), and about the most stubborn man in existence, according to my gran, that is! Saturn and Uranus are *not* completely incompatible entities, but complimentary, IMO. It takes one to have the other; like the goddess Kali, they embody the opposite natures of the same thing: you can't have structure (Saturn) without deconstruction (Uranus); you cannot have a revolution (Uranus) without a pre-existing government (Saturn) to unseat.

I think you might be right, but I never looked at it this way.
I might be influenced by the Aquarians I know,
who are loners at times, but who also have something "youthful".
And since Saturn is seen as a grumpy old planet ;)
I never saw any likeness with Aquarians.