Elevated and pitted degrees

Vagabondgirl

But 0 and 29 degrees are critical degrees? What does this mean again? That you have 2 personalities or something?

dr. farr

No: a critical degree is like an elevated one: a planet in a critical degree is amplfied, any debility it has is reduced, any dignity it has is increased, any negative influence it has is reduced, positive influences are amplified. I have discussed the case of critical degrees coinciding with the pits and elevations earlier in this thread; however, the system of critical degrees (based on the places the Moon reaches during its transit of the Circle of the Zodiac) is different in its origin than the Celestial topography of pits and elevations...

Vagabondgirl

29 degrees of all signs is called the anaretic degree, and is supposed to make you a bit confused I heard...

http://www.cafeastrology.com/criticaldegrees.html

Classic critical degrees are 0, 13, and 26 degrees of the cardinal signs (Aries, Cancer, Libra, and Capricorn); 8-9 and 21-22 degrees of fixed signs (Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, and Aquarius); and 4 and 17 degrees of mutable signs (Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, and Pisces). These are considered sensitive, and sometimes strengthening, points. If a natal planet is found in a critical degree, that planet is emphasized and assumes more power in the life of the native due to its placement.
Many astrologers consider 0 and 29 degrees of any sign critical degrees as well. The 0 and 29 degrees are more crisis-oriented points, especially in predictive work.

positive

Banned
No, it doesn't mean bad luck at all: merely that the influences of Mars, Sun and Saturn are limited, inhibited, and tend toward NEUTRALITY, being neither particularly "good" NOR particularly "bad" in their effects. The Moon at 29 Virgo is neither in a pit nor an elevation (see list) but say it were at 19 Virgo, that would be an elevation and this means that the influence of the Moon in the chart is amplified, that any debility it might have is largely overcome, and that its influence will tend to be positive/benefic in the chart.

After reading this I can confirm this, because I have singelton moon (excact opp jupiter for the vedics) in 11, pisces and mars in seven in sagg, the only traditional planets above the horizont and in acceptable signs, but they don´t work at all (I was wondering all the time when they would finally act, now I can put it ad acta..), I just can´t feel their influence..they are in pitted degrees; but I have venus in virgo and mercury in six in scorpion, on elevated degree and I feel especially in comüparison to the mentioned above, them in life. They are simply acting and shine trough me and I also can bring them to the world( I get echoes, people reacting, inter-). I am passionate too (moon mars) but no chance of living this, it get just blocked.

I am very thankful for this information, it can explain something I coukdn´t explain before.

But what if the axis AC DC or MC is on such degree. This should be very uncomfortable. especially AC DC should be very problematic then. Or what is if other planets are making aspects on this points.. is it helpful or not so? Does it affect the aspecting planet too?

byjove

Account Closed
Can I ask where the numbers come from? How were they decided?

(This is NOT criticism, I'm just taking stock)
If you look at face, term, critical degrees, pits and elevation degrees, then Sabian symbols and whatnot, almost every degree is up or down...it's a bit like disecting the 360 wheel into millions of different degrees, divide by 5, 6, 7, 8, 9...eventually you have angles and lines and rise and fall points in every degree in the chart...how does one discern through this? I personally don't like the origin of Sabian. But I'm curious about the makeup for these ones.

positive

Banned
I know döbereiner calculate degree meanings on his own and give them meanings of planetary constellations.. I can imagine it has something to do with geometrie. Apart from that the question was asked before in this thread (no answer though).

dr. farr

Historically, there is no record of where the degree system (pitted, elevated, bright, dark, azimene, etc) arose-it is just "there" in the extant Greco/Roman astrological literature (the Greco/Roman authors themselves ascribing it to either "Thrice Greatest Hermes", or to "...the Egyptians..."); some astro-historian academics believe the degree system was transferred into Greek astrology in the 3rd century BC, from Egyptian calendrical sources, but there is no objective evidence (found as yet) to support this conjecture. It is interesting that the degree lore is unique to Western astrology (ancient original period through the Reformation period): we find no such equivalentconcepts about degrees in Vedic astrology (although Vedic astrology's very advanced concept and application of ashtakavarga anaylsis has a relationship to the "bright degree activation" concept of some of the ancients-Antiochus of Athens, Maximus, and later-10th century-the Harranian Thabit ibn Qurra)

Last edited:

Flowergirl

Does anyone have some online reading links about ELEVATED DEGREES. This is fascinating stuff. I can't find much about it if I Google it. :sad:

Last edited:

dr. farr

Does anyone have some online reading links about ELEVATED DEGREES. This is fascinating stuff. I can't find much about it if I Google it. :sad:

-I am not aware of any thorough explanations online, although there are lists of these degrees
-the explanations about them are in the books: the commonly available books by Ibn Ezra and Al-Biruni, Abu Mashar and the less commonly available books by Antiochus, Al-Kindi, and also in other books which are rare (like those of Maximus and Thabit ibn Qurra); they are also mentioned by Guido Bonatti and William Lilly in their books, but are not elaborated by those authors very much at all.
-a handful of neo-Hellenists and Traditionalists make at least some use of them: however, the great majority of even the Traditionalists don't use them (many have never heard of them)
-Modernist astrologers never use them
-Like the ancients, I consider them to be major modifying/conditioning influences in ANY horoscopic analysis, natal, mundane, event, medical, horary; probably less than 1% of astrological practitioners share this outlook.

Last edited:

dr. farr

But what if the axis AC DC or MC is on such degree. This should be very uncomfortable. especially AC DC should be very problematic then. Or what is if other planets are making aspects on this points.. is it helpful or not so? Does it affect the aspecting planet too?

You will see in my posting of 10/24/10 in this thread, that (to my understanding) the pits and peaks do NOT apply to asc, MC, house cusps, but rather only to planets and points in space activated by planets (ie, Parts/Lots; also it would likely apply to midpoints and antiscion as well)

Other degree qualities (light/neutral/dark, azimene) DO apply to ascendant, MC, house cusps, etc, but not the "celestial topography" of pits and peaks...

positive

Banned
You will see in my posting of 10/24/10 in this thread, that (to my understanding) the pits and peaks do NOT apply to asc, MC, house cusps, but rather only to planets and points in space activated by planets (ie, Parts/Lots; also it would likely apply to midpoints and antiscion as well)

Other degree qualities (light/neutral/dark, azimene) DO apply to ascendant, MC, house cusps, etc, but not the "celestial topography" of pits and peaks...

ah I see.. Now as you mention it I remeber reading about the cusps.. but I did´t thought about the axis, or just missed it.. I am sorry..but thank you!

SniperBomber328

Farr, sorry if this is a silly question, but what's the difference between a Critical Degree and an Elevated/Pittied Degree?

I haven't looked back yet, but someone else posted something about the critical degrees in this topic. Which leads me to say, is the Degree 22 in Scorpio a Critical and Pittied degree? Concerened about this, since my Mercury falls in this degree, and is the only planet, in my chart, that falls in a pittied degree.

dr. farr

See my posts in this thread dated 10/23/10 and 12/27/10 for some information on your question.

Also, yes 22 Scorpio is both a pitted degree and a critical degree: therefore a planet in that degree would "shine forth from its pit", as I described in my earlier posts in this thread regarding critical degrees which also happen to be pitted degrees as well...

Last edited:

SniperBomber328

See my posts in this thread dated 10/23/10 and 12/27/10 for some information on your question.

Also, yes 22 Scorpio is both a pitted degree and a critical degree: therefore a planet in that degree would "shine forth from its pit", as I described in my earlier posts in this thread regarding critical degrees which also happen to be pitted degrees as well...

Thanks Farr for letting me know, and I did go back to the previous posts. So I can finally breath a sigh of relief knowing that my Mercury isn't in such a bad state since it falls under a critical degree as well.

Lucky for me, my Venus and Jupiter both fall under Critical Degrees as well, and in the same sign too (Libra)!

I dont subscribe to the detriment, fall etc terminology.......or that the number of degrees by itself is significant. Everything ties in with the aspects to other planets and if you have a good aspect at 4 degrees say Libra with Uranus sextile to say Venus then it is propitious. A chart has to be taken as a whole and not just isolated placements. I have never heard of "pitted" and I have been practising for 30 years. Some of the old astrology is narrow and sexist, moralistic.......according to the times. Uranus as the planet of astrology also deals with breaking down stereotypes, is modern essentially and humane, non sexist. Moving with the times!!!:smile:.

I will give some links to learn more about Traditional astology

pitted degrees
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29126
http://astrologynotes.org/wiki/Pitted_degrees
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/deginf1.html

apparently, in my chart, Pluto and the Moon are pitted and Jupiter is elevated. Whoooo jupiter! Thats probably a pretty good planet to have all shiny and such.
Dr. Farr dont worry about if people like what you have to say or not. There are PLENTY of people interested in it all. And anyone that doesnt like your methods, here is an idea, they can just not use them. I cant even imagine why they banned you on another site, seems crazy and a waste of a good brain hanging around.
well I wasn't aware of this one,I imagine possibly for over assertiveness comes to my mind :joyful:

I like his threads, don't always understand them mind, but he has many great and valid points

Last edited by a moderator:

Inconjunct

Beginners feel confused anyway, and if they're relying on this board as the sole source of information, they're going to be even more confused! Traditional/modern/Vedic - all have something to contribute, and if we decide to censor out more traditional viewpoints and concepts, then we're saying one form of astrology is better than another. Perhaps the board needs to be divided along trad/modern lines?

Beginners feel confused anyway, and if they're relying on this board as the sole source of information, they're going to be even more confused! Traditional/modern/Vedic - all have something to contribute, and if we decide to censor out more traditional viewpoints and concepts, then we're saying one form of astrology is better than another. Perhaps the board needs to be divided along trad/modern lines?

This has been and prob/long running debate will be prob always be that way between Mods and Trads. I have not use the word *better* you have, they are very different though and it's only with research and study on your own chart that you can make valued differences.

The should not be divided, but I would advise newcomers to learn Modern as it's much easier and then with experience, knowledge and basic insights could delve into more obscure avenues

Vedic and chines are both *tiny subforums* here, we are predominantly and hopefully will stay, Western

I never sugggested 'censor out' Traditional astrology, what on earth gave you that impression?

Last edited:

dr. farr

Please be aware that I am NOT a traditionalist! I AM AN ECLECTIC, and I value elements from all points of view, Modernist, Traditionalist, Hellenistic, even some from Vedic! The 2 most influential authors upon me were Paracelsus (from the 15th century) and the great pioneer of Modernist thought, Charles Carter.

I like to post information that is not generally or easily available, hence this thread regarding the old concept of celestial topography. I use these things, but I think I am always careful, in my posts, to point out that I am not advocating or otherwise proselytizing any particular school or "model" of astrological practice.

No one at the other site ever explained to me, or gave a reason, for banning me; the owner and moderators clearly did not like much of what I posted there, especially relative to Mundane astrology-when I deleted several of the Mundane posts they had attacked, the next day I was banned from the site.
Certainly being "over-assertive" was never intimated, and of course several hundred of my posts remain on that site, so anyone can take a look at them and judge for themselves whether these posts were over-assertive or not (I had the same posting name on that site as I have here:dr. farr)

(note:pM me if you want the name of that site)

Last edited:

Rebel Uranian

My Mars got saved by being 4 degrees Libra. I wish my Saturn also got saved but at least it's not pitted in its fall because that'd totally null it as an influence. Maybe it'd be saved since now my Mars is considered a "benefic influence" and is opposing it, or maybe since Mars rules it? Luckily none of my planets are pitted, but I wouldn't mind that much if my Moon was pitted because it has no easy aspects and no short of 6 hard aspects. Also, my MC is 22 Scorp but since pits don't count for points it is only in a critical degree, right? My Pluto is 4 deg Sag which is also critical.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

My Mars got saved by being 4 degrees Libra. I wish my Saturn also got saved but at least it's not pitted in its fall because that'd totally null it as an influence. Maybe it'd be saved since now my Mars is considered a "benefic influence" and is opposing it, or maybe since Mars rules it? Luckily none of my planets are pitted, but I wouldn't mind that much if my Moon was pitted because it has no easy aspects and no short of 6 hard aspects. Also, my MC is 22 Scorp but since pits don't count for points it is only in a critical degree, right? My Pluto is 4 deg Sag which is also critical.
So how does using Sidereal affect your planets regards pits and/or critical degrees?