Random Thoughts, strictly Text

petosiris

Banned
Zygote=human being? Then, acorn=tall oak tree. Seeds=flowers and fruit. And, since a million $$$ begins with the first penny, a penny=a million $$$!

It's perfectly fine to argue that life begins at conception and that should deserve consideration. It's extremely short-sighted to argue that humans with the size of a pinhead have the same worth as babies and adults, and that we should ban IVF or cell research. Similar logic can be applied to fetuses and screening. I am personally not moved by the right to life argument. I think abortion should be generally discouraged for other more important and practical reasons like health and fertility, unless the abortion would be conducive or life-saving for the mother. This kind of eugenics I find ethically moral.

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
Aborting a child based on possible birth defects has been done before. In Germany, nazi eugenic laws made it pretty easy for any german woman to abort a baby under the notion that it carried birth defecs or potential disabilities.

That is basically 100% true of all positive screenings of Down in Iceland at the moment. Does that make Iceland Nazi? Nazi eugenics involved involuntary sterilization and ''euthanasia'' of children and adults, and also pseudoscientific racial theories. Is that the same thing as 90%-100% of people doing these abortions?

petosiris

Banned
It more related to the loss of christian values, of respect for your neighbors. Freedom, liberty and respect are the progeny of the christian tradition, which London has replaced for a mild form of atheism that serves no purpose for society.

You are saying that atheism leads to all these things. One question - are you an Hispanic/Latino?

petosiris

Banned
Freedom, liberty and respect are the progeny of the christian tradition

Papal Christendom was more servile, intolerant and adulterous than Islamic Spain. The gradual erosion of Christianity made the Western world thousand times more free, liberal and respectful than the Middle East. Of course the modern Christianity is nothing like the Medieval one, it enjoys the benefits of its erosion too.

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
Well the argument for to the "dark ages" slowing down scientific development may have more to do with the fall of the roman empire rather than religion itself, which used to allow the flow of economic goods and ideas throughout the mediterranean. When the empire began to fragment the subsequent kingoms were at first closed and belligerant with each other, their economies slowed down, and the feudal system (which is originally of germanic origin) was put in place. The fact that the later period of the middle ages saw a resurgance in art, science and trade leading into the reinassance, would imply the problem was not religion at all.

Suppose you are entirely right that it was the spirit of the times and the fall of the empire was entirely because of external migrations rather than internal religious conflicts (which is not really the case if you look at the Late Roman and Byzantine Empires Arian/Nestorian/Monophysite/Iconoclastic controversies but anyway). Why would a divinely inspired religion that supposedly had French Revolution values (Liberté, égalité, fraternité) need a millenium before it saw resurgence?

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
The French humiliated the pope. Remember that many of the revolutionaries that gave the foundations to the modern western state were much more militant atheists than Richard Dawkins. I think that the Catholic genocide in particular was over the top.

Ukpoohbear

As a Neptunian, I find it difficult to assert myself before becoming the scapegoat. Even with understanding what is happening before it culminates, I still yield to pleasing the other person instead of asserting where they might be lacking. This is why I dislike people because it translates to me that I ambeing attacked and to others, it translates as to me being a problem because negativity is projected to me. Then I become worked up about it. But the solution is quite simple - speak your truth before it gets to that point and even when it gets to that point, speak your truth, without any anger or frustration. I guess I am frustrated with myself for not learning this lesson despite the repetition of it throughout my life because if I asserted myself in present-time, I would see it as a victory and I would have more power and control. However, I reserve the right to still dislike human nature (even after seeing my responsibility in that opinion)n because of it being wrong to disown negaitivity. It doesn't matter how much I understand the dance of energies, or can feel the even darker shadow side of what is going on, I still haven't mastered the art of dancing with it.

Ive decided that its ok to fail and the solution is simply to be positive and assert yourself afterwards. But Im angry I understand it happening, yet still martyr myself instead of being assertive. After all, I do understand it is a dance of energies and I at least know the theory of how its meant to work, so implementing it is then simple. In short, counter-attack with positivity but also with assertiveness in present-time and this will translate to others as being something they can respect, even if they don't translate what is happening as a dance of energy.

Last edited:

Dirius

It's perfectly fine to argue that life begins at conception and that should deserve consideration. It's extremely short-sighted to argue that humans with the size of a pinhead have the same worth as babies and adults, and that we should ban IVF or cell research. Similar logic can be applied to fetuses and screening. I am personally not moved by the right to life argument. I think abortion should be generally discouraged for other more important and practical reasons like health and fertility, unless the abortion would be conducive or life-saving for the mother. This kind of eugenics I find ethically moral.
That is basically 100% true of all positive screenings of Down in Iceland at the moment. Does that make Iceland Nazi? Nazi eugenics involved involuntary sterilization and ''euthanasia'' of children and adults, and also pseudoscientific racial theories. Is that the same thing as 90%-100% of people doing these abortions?

When you are applying that idea to abort children that would be born with genetic disabilities it is the same kind of mentality. Also congenital defects are used as an umbrella term, that includes many non-threatening disabilities that normal people without medical experience may not fully understand.

It is one thing to abort a child who has a genetic condition for which it will eventually die soon after birth anyways, in which case the result of whether there is an abortion or not is the same. It is another thing to abort a child who could live a long life with some form of defect. In the latter you are giving yourself the authority to determine what type of life is worth living.

Abortion is an option, for example, for babies that may suffer from dwarfism. Certainly a birth defect that may create problems, but lots of people who have dwarfism have long healthy happy succesful lives. So you are denying someone the possibility of a happy life just because you believe his life is not worth it? And you do this based on what authority?

david starling

Suppose you are entirely right that it was the spirit of the times and the fall of the empire was entirely because of external migrations rather than internal religious conflicts (which is not really the case if you look at the Late Roman and Byzantine Empires Arian/Nestorian/Monophysite/Iconoclastic controversies but anyway). Why would a divinely inspired religion that supposedly had French Revolution values (Liberté, égalité, fraternité) need a millenium before it saw resurgence?

Tropical Age of Capricorn. These tropical Ages have 3 phases, the 1st affects us as individuals (Dark Ages, fear of Age-lord Saturn aka Satan); the second is 15 degrees later, at 58.1 years per degree, and affects us socially, which begat the Renaissance; and, the 3rd affects us regarding our traditions. When the first phase of the Aquarian Age takes full effect (2150), the Aquarian Age individuals will start a new type of civilization, with rapid, world-wide implementation.

petosiris

Banned
So you are denying someone the possibility of a happy life just because you believe his life is not worth it? And you do this based on what authority?

I don't think I need to explain why most people get the abortion despite the possibility of a happy life. It's also a wrongful birth if the doctor is not able to explain and warn of the repercussions of congenitally diseased child. You don't need authority, you don't need much evidence really. I do think that if birth does occur, that morality implies that society must take care of the child, and also that much mistreatment, social isolation and not enough support happens in reality (though to be frank, even with support, it is not hard to imagine the potential benefits for everyone of having a healthy child).

It is one thing to abort a child who has a genetic condition for which it will eventually die soon after birth anyways, in which case the result of whether there is an abortion or not is the same. It is another thing to abort a child who could live a long life with some form of defect. In the latter you are giving yourself the authority to determine what type of life is worth living.

I don't understand the distinction you are making. I thought you had the idea that all lives are equal and all abortions equally sinful.

Last edited:

Dirius

Your initial assertion is that the during the early middle ages, science and development slowed down because of christianity. I merely pointed out that the fall of the roman empire, which was a mechanism for the flow of information and technology, is a much more logical explanation.

Whether Rome had internal political struggles, one of them being religion, or if it fell in battle to invading armies, is unrelated to the subject we were originally discussing.
Papal Christendom was more servile, intolerant and adulterous than Islamic Spain. The gradual erosion of Christianity made the Western world thousand times more free, liberal and respectful than the Middle East. Of course the modern Christianity is nothing like the Medieval one, it enjoys the benefits of its erosion too.

Because institutional corruption is inescapable to any sort of organized ideology. Starting with the protestant reformation which sort of broke the unity of the church, you can notice a shift in the attitudes towards kings and rulers.

In fact in England pretty much abolished monarchy for a few decades and estalished a republic. Many of the reasons for the enlighs civil war were about religious freedom.

You are saying that atheism leads to all these things. One question - are you an Hispanic/Latino?
Yes I am.

moonkat235

Not going anywhere, just answering moonkat's questions (which are kind of weird) about why we behave the way we behave. That particular answer I gave didn't really have much context on what you and I have been discussing. Read the quoted paragraph and to whom it was adressed to.

Its called "investment" for a reason. Payoff may come later, in the case of humans, with children taking care of their parents when they are elderly. Otherwise when people grow old who takes care them? the goverment? By definiton, someone else's children?

Wait, what's so weird about my questions?