I feel like this is what I need to do but am I making the right choice?

princess valhalla

Where to begin? At the end of August, I ended my relationship with my partner of almost 11 years. I moved out with our two daughters into my parents home. :annoyed: I enrolled them into a new school in a different district.
When he asks me why, I don't really have an answer besides, "It's just something I feel I need to do." Which is the truth. There have been no infidelities on either side. He recently got diagnosed as bi-polar and since he started taking his meds, he has been so much easier to be around.
So why leave now? I have no clue. He wants us to come back so very badly. He keeps hoping I will change my mind and I feel horrible because I don't think that is going to happen.
I wonder if I've made a wrong choice. I know that I really do love him and he loves me. However, right now, it feels like that just isn't enough. If anyone can help me understand what is going on here I would really appreciate it.

Attachments

• sarah natal, transits, progression.jpg
    sarah natal, transits, progression.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 25
  • my natal, progression, solar arc combined.jpg
    my natal, progression, solar arc combined.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 14

IleneK

Premium Member
Where to begin? At the end of August, I ended my relationship with my partner of almost 11 years. I moved out with our two daughters into my parents home. :annoyed: I enrolled them into a new school in a different district.
When he asks me why, I don't really have an answer besides, "It's just something I feel I need to do." Which is the truth. There have been no infidelities on either side. He recently got diagnosed as bi-polar and since he started taking his meds, he has been so much easier to be around.
So why leave now? I have no clue. He wants us to come back so very badly. He keeps hoping I will change my mind and I feel horrible because I don't think that is going to happen.
I wonder if I've made a wrong choice. I know that I really do love him and he loves me. However, right now, it feels like that just isn't enough. If anyone can help me understand what is going on here I would really appreciate it.

I think we may be able to shed some light on what is going on. In mid-August, there was a New Moon at 25 Leo that squared your natal Uranus which sits right on one of your chart angles, the Descendant and the 7th house cusp, in the house of relationship. Uranus represents breaking convention and the need for change. Breaking up the old orthodoxy in favor of something, anything new. It can be impulsive, but it also provides insight and flashes of keen intuition. And natal Uranus rules your Moon, what you need to feel emotionally safe.

Then at the end of August there was a Pisces Full Moon, which was the illumination of previous New Moon. The Sun was in orb of the co-ruler of your 7th house, very practical Mars in Virgo. The highly sensitive Pisces Moon opposed it. Mars in Virgo as ruler of the 7th might be interpreted here as taking practical action in the relationship.

This is all against a backdrop of your progressed Moon in another impulsive sign, Aries, approaching an opposition to the other [modern] ruler of your 7th house, Pluto in Libra. Pluto in Libra might be interpreted here as major transformation of relationship by getting down to and facing the real, unadulterated truth.

With all these hard contacts to the rulers of the 7th house, as well as to the planet sitting on your Descendant, it may be no surprise that there would be change in the relationship. With the contacts being connected with Uranus and the sign of Aries, that might explain the suddenness of it. With the contacts being part of the current lunation cycle, that might explain how the leaving was connected with the ordinary aspects of life, like the diurnal and lunar rhythms, with really no dramatic event triggering it. Perhaps just the culmination of a lot of very small things. The New Moon square to Uranus may have provided you with strong [Scorpio] insight or intuition that something deep had to change, and this is what you felt is the best response.

I do not believe that the birth chart can tell us if your decision was the right one or not. But I can tell you two things that I have observed from experience. The first is that, no, love most certainly is not enough. It is clearly a necessary condition for a stable, loving, matured relationship in which to bring up children, but it is clearly not sufficient. The second is that if your partner is bi-polar and your family has been living with him untreated until recently, that it probably is good to have another base of operation until he can demonstrate his commitment over the long term to do whatever is necessary to moderate the painful and challenging emotional swings that characterize the disorder. So, in that respect, it likely is a good decision. And if it turns out that he really does get a hold of his life, you can always make another decision at a later date.

Something feels right to me about what you have done. And you may not at this time know why you have taken such action because your Moon in Aquarius requires detachment, at least, initially. But that is okay. You don't always have to know the reasons.

Last edited:

princess valhalla

Thank you so much for your words Ilene. Everything you said rings true. I actually cried reading your post (not in a bad way.) Around the same time he was diagnosed being bi-polar, I went on prozac for low grade depression and since taking it, I haven't really been able to cry . . . even when I wanted to. Before, I could cry at the drop of a dime. Sad movies, music, other people's hardships, etc. I guess it's my sun conjunct neptune in H8 but whatever the reason, I am a highly emotional/empathic person.

It all happened like you said, very sudden, leaving him very confused. He still is holding out hope even though I have told him that this is what I need to do. I have helped him as much as I can to help him come to terms with this. However, I still feel some form of guilt from leaving him. While I have my family (parents) here for me, he has no one. He is estranged from his family and really only had us. So I worry about him and his emotional state. I still talk to him daily. I sold my flat screen tv and bought him a bike to get to and from work. Previously I had been taking him back and forth. However, I realize that eventually this has to stop. There must be a clean break for both of us to move forward and not be stuck in limbo. I almost wish that he broke up with me instead so he wouldn't be in so much pain.

I agree completely with the last two paragraphs of your post and thank you very much for taking the time to help me understand myself and the situation. (HUGS) ~Sarah