Neil Gaiman's "Other People"

Anachiel

The idea of one pain replacing another reminded me of the Chronicles of Riddick where the Necromongers replaced one pain with another during their initiations to show how feelings can be relative.....or something like that.

princess valhalla

Hello Anachiel, love the Elvira avatar! :love:

Interesting, I saw the movie but don't member it that much.

I really like the whole 'circular' thing present. The story comes full back around to the beginning with "Time is Fluid here" and the role reversal of him being that man entering the door and at the end he is the demon waiting behind the door.

I also like the line "As the demon raised his arm to deliver the first blow, it said, 'In time you will remember even this moment with fondness.'" The physical pain being a gift compared to the emotional pain and awareness that was still to come.

The story reminds me of the circular nature of life and death, karma, 'The Wheel of Fortune' card in tarot, etc.

Any ideas on the title of the story? Haven't wrapped my head around the title quite yet.

Sarah

Anachiel

Well, there was the part where he had to admit what he did to other people...with other people...er hrm. Then other, or should I say another, person walks in at the end of the story.

I see your point about the circular motions. It's certainly not a story for the faint of heart and, to some extent, has that gristle like Poe's The Pit and the Pendulum.

However, let us not confuse circular with spiral. In this story there seems to be a pervading hopelessness, of passing around what has been passed, rather than any reprive or redemption.

princess valhalla

True, definitely not for the faint of heart. Maybe I should have had a warning in there? :lol: I gravitate toward really dark, macabre stuff. I love Edgar Alan Poe as well as Gaiman, and there are definitely some similarities.
Even his children's books Coraline and The Graveyard Book are dark fantasy.

I like how you said it was spiral, not circular. It definitely seems more fitting and I agree that there is no hope, redemption or reprive in this story. But then again it would be an entirely different story if there was.

Sarah

Anachiel

I was just kidding. can't be any worse than James and the Giant Peach whom Joanna Lamond Lumley played one of the distubing aunts (or whatever relation they were) and was very scary methinks. Or, perhaps even a Nightmare Before Chirstmas which, wasn't too bad but still, darker in many respects

princess valhalla

:happy: It's funny you should say that! As a matter of fact, the film versions of 'Coraline' and 'James and the Giant Peach' were both directed by Henry Selick as well as 'The Nightmare Before Christmas!' :biggrin: All 3 films used stop motion animation, Selick's forte.