Virtue of being self-absorbed?

JUPITERASC

rand+01.jpg

JUPITERASC

What the heck, JA. You need to talk more often.
You have a lot of really good points in that head of yours.....
the most meaningful stuff that's I've probably read on this forum in months.
I joined this forum in 2008
I wrote plenty years ago
if you search you can find :smile:

AppLeo

Appey, one more clue:

I know you want to be successful. And I am totally supportive of that in every way. I'm not here to take anything from you, not you money or your Ayn Rand book. But here's the thing you're going to learn once you hit the real world: you can't get to the top by yourself. And you can't stay at the top all by yourself.

Yeah, I know. Relationships are important. But only relationships that involve independent individuals that voluntarily desire each others company; they share the same values.

You don't have to care about the hobos on the street. You have every right to walk right past them. But there is a link between what is happening to that hobo on the street and how high you will be able climb our economic ladder. I hope that you take the time to learn this someday.

Okay.

You think that any kind of "worth" or "value" to you is totally tied up in how much money you have in the bank. But you're worth way more than that. Way more. Money can get wiped away in a flash....there were so many suicides from very wealthy investors during the last stock market crash. We all need money....but it is not the place where you want to get your sense of self-worth.

I'm not saying money = self-worth. And I value other things besides money.

The easy way to look at life is to assume that anything we gain has to be at the expense of someone else. That it's a zero-sum game, an win-lose situation.

No. That's the reason why liberals are so stupid. They think that whenever has someone has more it's because they took from someone else. Completely and utterly false. FALSE. FALSE!!!

I do not take part in win-lose situations.

The challenge that we will be asked to meet in the coming decades is to figure out how we can make this a win-win situation because our current system has created such severe imbalances that it will impact everyone. It will be the biggest mental puzzle of our times, and we will need every smart and capable person to rise to the call. Something to think about.

Have you not been LISTENING TO WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING!!!!!!

We already have a system that creates win-win situations. It's called laissez-faire capitalism.

I don't understand why this is so difficult to understand. I have thought about this and it doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Unless I'm just being trolled and I'm wasting my time for your own amusement; I have no idea.

Capitalism is free trade. Voluntary exchange. People both trade with consent because it benefits their selfish interest. BOTH people win.

If I have money and Apple has an iPhone... I trade my money for the iPhone. I get the phone that I want to make my life easier, Apple makes money. We BOTH win.

An employer needs workers to make the his business more efficient and productive. I trade my hours of labor in exchange for money. We BOTH WIN.

I catch fish for a living. Another guy grows vegetables for a living. I want some vegetables for a more balanced diet. The other guy wants fish for a more balances diet. I trade some fish in exchange for vegetables. We BOTH WIN.

No selflessness required. Only people's selfish interest will create the society that we want.

It doesn't matter how unequal we become. If I'm a really good fisher and mass produce fish and everyone wants to trade me for my fish... I'm going to be really wealthy because I'm skilled. If the vegetables guy can only make enough veggies for his family and to trade with one other person, yeah, he's not gonna be nearly as wealthy as I am. But we're both winning when we trade with each other.

NOW SELFLESS COMMUNISM IS RIDICULOUS. I mass produce fish. A man who doesn't know how to do anything gets the government to take my fish by force and divide it among us equally.

I leave because I can't keep what I make. The nation starves to death because the people that actually make stuff leave or refuse to work because what's the point of working when I'm carrying all the weight. The fool who can't create value on his own, never learns to create value on his own because the government will always steal from others for him. He stays poor and worthless with government and community help. Oh and it's win-lose. I lose my fish and gets my fish. That is not free. That is not fair. That is a bunch of bull.
<B[/QUOTE]

Ayn Ramd had a warped sense of everything good and noble.
Her disbelief that anyone could have any good in them
and share that goodness without an ulterior motive :smile:
made her genuinely a narcissistic personality.
She only thought of herself as the ultimate power of her life.
BUT many helped throughout her years as a struggling author.
She could not have completed any of her works without the support of Frank O’Connor.
In her own small mind there was no room for anyone else.
She was a despicable human being who care for no one other than herself.
IF our distant ancestors had adopted Rand’s absurd philosophy
our species would have gone extinct long ago.
Humans survived through cooperation
not selfishness.

I don't care, Jupiter.

JUPITERASC

Yeah, I know. Relationships are important. But only relationships that involve independent individuals that voluntarily desire each others company; they share the same values.

Okay.

I'm not saying money = self-worth. And I value other things besides money.

No. That's the reason why liberals are so stupid.
They think that whenever has someone has more
it's because they took from someone else.
Completely and utterly false. FALSE. FALSE!!!

thomas-szasz-660182.jpg

JUPITERASC

We already have a system that creates win-win situations. It's called laissez-faire capitalism.

I don't understand why this is so difficult to understand.
I have thought about this
and it doesn't take a genius
to figure it out.

Unless I'm just being trolled and I'm wasting my time for your own amusement; I have no idea.

Capitalism is free trade. Voluntary exchange.
People both trade with consent because it benefits their selfish interest. BOTH people win.

Siriusly :smile:

a_career_in_slavery_by_orderofthenewworld-d92qcyb.jpg

JUPITERASC

If I have money and Apple has an iPhone... I trade my money for the iPhone. I get the phone that I want to make my life easier, Apple makes money. We BOTH win.

An employer needs workers
to make the his business more efficient
and productive.
I trade my hours of labor
in exchange for money.
We BOTH WIN.

wage-slave-treadmill.jpg

AppLeo

It's not my fault that people decide to borrow other people's money. That's not a failure of capitalism, that's idiocy.

I only have a debit card. I never use credit cards for anything.

AppLeo

Jupiter, if you don't like the idea of people "slaving away" for money; they can just employ themselves to make their own money.

They can become businessmen.

Create a product of your own and employ people to "slave away" for you.

JUPITERASC

I catch fish for a living.
Another guy grows vegetables for a living.
I want some vegetables for a more balanced diet.
The other guy wants fish for a more balances diet.
I trade some fish in exchange for vegetables. We BOTH WIN.

No selflessness required.
Only people's selfish interest will create the society that we want.

It doesn't matter how unequal we become.
If I'm a really good fisher
and mass produce fish
and everyone wants to trade me
for my fish...

I'm going to be really wealthy because I'm skilled.
If the vegetables guy can only make enough veggies for his family and to trade with one other person,
yeah, he's not gonna be nearly as wealthy as I am.
But we're both winning when we trade with each other.
radioactivefish.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

sadge

I don't understand why this is so difficult to understand. I have thought about this and it doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Unless I'm just being trolled and I'm wasting my time for your own amusement; I have no idea.

Capitalism is free trade. Voluntary exchange. People both trade with consent because it benefits their selfish interest. BOTH people win.

Appey.....I'm not trolling you.

Here's the deal: capitalism is not a win-win situation. Neither is communism. Tell your economics teacher that you want your money back.

A lot of "teachers," even at the university level, are pretty stupid and lazy. So always, always question authority and what you are being taught. Always.

JUPITERASC

NOW SELFLESS COMMUNISM IS RIDICULOUS.
I mass produce fish.
A man who doesn't know how to do anything gets the government
to take my fish by force and divide it among us equally.

I leave because I can't keep what I make.
The nation starves to death because the people that actually make stuff leave
or refuse to work because what's the point of working
when I'm carrying all the weight.
The fool who can't create value on his own,
never learns to create value on his own
because the government will always steal from others for him.
He stays poor and worthless with government and community help.
Oh and it's win-lose.
I lose my fish and gets my fish. That is not free.
That is not fair. That is a bunch of bull.

I don't care, Jupiter.

Very Fishy mon ami :smile:

486884_388500994591911_1705295668_n.jpg

AppLeo

Appey.....I'm not trolling you.

Here's the deal: capitalism is not a win-win situation. Neither is communism. Tell your economics teacher that your want you money back.

A lot of "teachers," even at the university level, are pretty stupid and lazy. So always, always question authority and what you are being taught. Always.

How do you know capitalism isn't win-win? LOL Please explain. PLEASE

Just because you say so?? Unbelievable.

Voluntary free trade isn't win-win? I honestly don't know what to make of this...

Are you confusing real capitalism with crony capitalism? I think that's the issue here.

Last edited: