Aries symbolism - lost in modernity?

david starling

Simply like trad could predicted the evil nature of John Wayne Gacy.

Some Mods look at everything through rose-colored glasses, it's true. And some Trads are just the opposite. Personally, I don't especially like cold-readings, because I have enough empathic ability to back up the Astrology when I'm with the actual Chart-native.

Last edited:

david starling

SCU, there's nothing wrong with preferring Trad to Mod, or vice versa. Just pick the type of Astrology you feel works best for you and become proficient at it. Astrology isn't a one-type-fits-all affair. :biggrin:

SunConjunctUranus

Hmm....kind of like music. What's your favorite type of music?

David, it's good to see a mods who using sidereal. I agree with your statement about empathetic toward the native chart but sometimes we need to at least warn the native over bad things we spot on their chart. That warn could actually help the native to strengthen their characters.

And about outer planets, I don't think we could gather information of it's "lot", but at least I believe the transit of the outer planets is quite bring the impact, I'm yet to feel the transit of the outer planet. Did the outer planets impacting to your 4 major line (AC, DC, MC, IC)?

I'm currently love to listening daft punk's song. :love:

david starling

Neptune's been running back and forth across my Asc for quite some time now, and I'm definitely feeling it. Here's a question: Are you a tropical Sun Cap, or a sidereal one? Same with Moon in Aqua, which i have in tropical, but in Cap in sidereal.

aldebaran

I realized just now that the Golden Fleece myth is the same myth as the Graal, Jamshid cup's, Philosopher's stone.

David's remark therefore was marvellous.

Bharani is considered to be ruled by Yama, which is vedic Pluto. In India they call planet Pluto as "Yam".

Pluto bears the symbol of Alchemy, and Jamshid (the "bright Yama") is the source of many of similar myths.

So, I guess I wanted to write that modernity lost the Aries association with accumulation, bearing, value, and I must add now that modernity lost the notion that Aries is the sign of Alchemy.

About the sacrifice thing, my personal opinion is that the concept of "sacrifice" is close but not the same as of the concept of "transformation". Both include "bearing", but the "transformation" kind of bearing is more "soft". Alchemy is more about transformation. But Aries/Bharani/Golden Fleece deals with both.

Last edited:

CapAquaPis

The OP topic "Lost in modernity" - a difficulty to live in the now, present and current year? Aries are a cardinal sign and the group of cardinals mainly have a conservative attitude on society, culture, politics, economics, morals, ethics and life. It can be true with most masculine signs (Aquarius, my own Sun/Moon sign is a noted exception) and fire signs (including Leo and Sagittarius) expresses a duty to country or community, and advocate individualism or self-help to take care of social and personal problems.

CapAquaPis

Nevermind, this is about Aries in modern astrology having a lesser role than the traditional version. We are in the Aquarian age after all and Aquarius seems to have the most domination over our modern world. Between the Aries and Aquarius ages was the highly religious and spiritual Pisces age (1 BC-2000 AD).

david starling

The earliest known depiction of the Sign now known as "Aries" , the Ram, was in ancient Babylonia around 2000 B.C.E.

It was that of the "Hired Man", a human figure, rather than a four-footed animal.

katydid

There are some symbologies that for me seems obvious.

Zebra for black&white, Sloth for laziness, Chameleon for changing colors, Peacock for beauty, Skunk for smelling bad.

When someone describes Bowie as the "rock Chameleon" everyone understands this; and even if some group of people raise Chameleons and know well the personality of those animals in order to have deep notions about their behavior, still, I guess they will interpret the symbol as anyone else.

It seems me somewhat unreasonable that with so many ferocious animals on earth, the wise ancient civilizations would chose the sheep as a symbol to this, totally ignoring the obvious, notory, distint capacity it has for carrying fur.

Now, imagine if Chameleon was a Sign, but it meant in West the lovely tenderness this animal exibits; later we discover that in India there's a Nakshatra called "Changing colors", and this Nakshatra abides right among the Sign "Chameleon". It's somewhat like this with the Sheep, except that Sheeps don't change colors neither Chameleons are, in the extent that I know, filled with lovely tenderness.

Aries is not ferocious. They are aggressive and impulsive, like a Ram, not like a tiger.

Calling Aries a 'sheep' is not helpful in this discussion, in my opinion. There is a difference between the term ram and the term sheep :

What is the difference between a ram and a sheep?

The term "sheep" covers ram, lamb, and mutton. a ram is a functional (breed-able) male, a lamb is a young sheep that has not reached maturity, and a mutton is a non-functional male (castrated).

katydid

Why do Rams ram each other?

In the wild, ram fights occurs naturally as a bovine behaviour to settle dominance hierarchy — a contest for alpha male status among virile rams, by ramming their heads into others. ... This is the main practice of sheep domestication over time.

To settle dominance---a contest for alpha male status among virile rams..."

That^^^^ sounds like an Aries to me...:happy:

david starling

Aries is not ferocious. They are aggressive and impulsive, like a Ram, not like a tiger.

Calling Aries a 'sheep' is not helpful in this discussion, in my opinion. There is a difference between the term ram and the term sheep :

What is the difference between a ram and a sheep?

The term "sheep" covers ram, lamb, and mutton. a ram is a functional (breed-able) male, a lamb is a young sheep that has not reached maturity, and a mutton is a non-functional male (castrated).

"The Ram of the Golden Fleece", both rescuing and healing, is the most idealized version of Aries.

katydid

"The Ram of the Golden Fleece", both rescuing and healing, is the most idealized version of Aries.

Helle and Phrixus, heroes in Quest for the golden Fleece...
The next day they led Phrixus up to his place of sacrifice. Phrixus was now up on Mount Laphystium with his sister, Helle, by his side. The priest then pulled a knife out of his cloak and held Phrixus by the arm. Just then, Phrixus and Helle saw a cloud lowering down towards them. It was there mother. She came down and there was a ram with a golden fleece next to her. She told Phrixus to get on the ram and it would fly his to Colchis, the land ruled by Aeetes, son of Helius. Helle also joined Phrixus on the back of the ram.
As the ram flew through the sky on its way to Colchis, they suddenly hit bad weather. Helle slipped off the back of the ram and fell in the void beneath them, there was no saving her. The narrow strait she fell into is since known as Hellespot. Finally the ram and Phrixus reached Colchis. There, Aeetes was waiting for him. Phrixus then married Aeetes daughter and had four sons. Phrixus then sacrificed the ram to Zeus as his mother had told him to do. The skin of the ram has since been known as the Golden Fleece and Phrixus presented the Golden Fleece to Aeetes.

katydid

I am married, for the past 38 years, to a wonderful Aries man. He has the Sun and Mercury in Aries. But he also has a very tight water grand trine with 3 exalted planets===Moon/Cancer in 3rd----Mars/Sco in 8th---Venus/Pisces/12th

Our first born child, a son , is also an Aries. And he married an Aries woman.

So I am a Scorpio with an entire clan of Arians surrounding me...:annoyed:

Thank Goodness for my Gemini daughter. :tongue:

I say this, as a way to explain that I feel I have a real understanding of Aries energy. The Good and the Bad.

I feel like the Ram is a perfect animal to describe the Aries tribe. They go headfirst into whatever mission they are on. Headfirst with enthusiasm and zeal, but also impatience and often, a lack of preparation is involved too.
:pouty:

But if you need someone to spearhead a project and get things going and get others onboard, Aries energy is perfect. Their enthusiasm is contagious.

My husband is a writer, and one of the things he is known for, is giving a good 'pitch' meeting. Going to the producers with an idea, a quick outline of a show, or a film, and selling them on giving out development cash.

That is a perfect role for an Aries. Coming up with creative ideas and packaging them, and convincing others of their value. [Mercury in Aries in the 12th, squaring Uranus in Cancer in the 3rd.]. [Moon/Uranus in 3rd trine Venus in Pisces]

Aries do have a bit of a temper. They get easily annoyed but they are also easily amused and satisfied. They do not hold don to grudges as they tend to let things go if the other person apologises and changes their attitude.

Being a Scorpio with a Cap Moon, I still find that a strange reaction for anyone to have. :whistling:

david starling

Katydid, anything about rescuing? Or, healing? The healing power of the Golden Fleece is a later addition, but the rescuing is in the original version.

AriesTiger

I’ve never heard Aries’ animal/symbol being the sheep. It’s the ram. The sheep is known as docile, while the ram is known as headstrong. It’s the same with cows and bulls. The males are aggressive.