saturn square sun-mars conjunction

OuterPlanets89

I have this. My Libra Sun/Mars are square my Capricorn Saturn. But they're also square Uranus/Neptune (conj Saturn) in Capricorn and Cancer Jupiter, so it can be hard to isolate that formation's effects (also have late Virgo Mercury conj Sun/Mars).

But I will say, it's definitely the toughest part of my giant T-Square.

Sun conjunct Mars wants, no needs to act. Saturn squaring the two forces restrictions on them, creating a difficult dynamic. A good example would be someone whose need for freedom and inner competitiveness is so high that when a boss/authority figure/parent stands in their path, their inner drive often goes from 0-100...back to 0. It's almost like it's not worth it, because the anger/frustration from being restricted is almost unbearable, and is easier to control if you detach from the situation altogether. A form of self-sabotage, if you will.

It seems to be common in cases of a father/authority figure overdoing the discipline in a child's upbringing, to where the the child's relationship with Saturn/discipline becomes more negative than positive. A Sun conjunct Mars child is naturally going to challenge parents, with high energy levels and a tendency to question them. But that questioning usually gets shut down promptly, leading to pent up anger. So when a Sun/Mars square Saturn does assert themselves, it can often come off as abrasive, because they often felt helpless otherwise growing up.

I luckily have some other outlets to this tension (Neptune/Jupiter/Uranus and also my Virgo Moon is trine my Capricorn Stellium), but my chart comes with it's own set of problems as well.

I'd say that the healthiest way to approach Sun/Mars square Saturn is to never go all-in on Mars or Saturn. Know when your Mars is getting out of control ("I need this and I won't let anyone stop me") or when your Saturn is thwarting your Sun/Mars ("It's not worth it"). Practice showing your Mars is less aggressive ways, without your Saturn thwarting its expression. But also listen to your Saturn and plan ahead, and pace yourself towards your goals. Mars wants it all now, while Saturn reminds you that it's often going to take years of hard work. Mindfulness is key to it all.

A positive expression of this would be someone who has integrated both Mars/Saturn, and has great drive/vision. But due to Saturn's tendency to delay, this is more likely to come in the second half of life.

Last edited: