People born in Mercury retrograde shadow

helena-IT

There are lot of sources explaining the influence of being born under Mercury retrograde, but what about those born in Mercury retrograde shadow eg. couple of days before Mercury went retrograde or couple of days after it went direct? Even couple of hours, or minutes perhaps.

Are there any (significant) differences between actual retrograde motion and shadow phase?

The only article I've found on the topic, is this one http://skywriter.wordpress.com/2013...de-shadow-and-post-retrograde-shadow-periods/ but it doesn't say much really, except that this astrologer does not take shadow phases seriously

Madammaha

Hi helena-IT, usually Mercury retrograde is known to be problematic, but since we are talking about the shadow here, then there are two interpretations, one concerning the human mind and its function which is affected by Mercury and the second one is people and events.
Mercury affects the way the mind works, when it is retrograde one has to repeatedly recheck his thoughts and words, in the shadow the mind takes a longer time to work and react.

helena-IT

in the shadow the mind takes a longer time to work and react.
thank you Madammaha, I was thinking something like that would be the case, like a postponed (mental/verbal) reaction. But again, I suppose it depends a lot on the Mercury's aspects.

Last edited:

Madammaha

True helena-IT, Mercury applying or separating from aspects with different planets strongly modifies or enforces its action and also its placement by sign and house.

Zarathu

Account Closed
I'm of the opinion that Mercury is either in rx or not. If its not its not. Quite honestly, I never heard of this shadow thing. Maybe its something that comes out of Traditional or even medieval Astrology from when the ephemeris was a vague thing that couldn't be calculated for the minute or second. Or maybe it comes out of Vedic.

Modern Astrology as far as I know, has no such concept.

Zarathu

Account Closed
Its as I thought. It comes from the concept of "stationing" Stationing, IMO, is an artifact of having an ephemeris which only gives you the days.

In the modern world of 2014, we have the ability to tell you to the second when any planet or asteroid is in or out of Retrograde.

IMO, It was an artifact of inaccurate ephemeri, and is not a relevant concept for today.

mdinaz

Nobody has their birth time down to the second so that is irrelevant anyway. A good software program can give you the velocity of the planet and the exact period when it is stationary (no velocity), but that time is very short. I suppose if someone is born with Mercury stationary it can reflect a mind that is slow to react or stubborn to change. I think the "shadow" period refers to when it has gone direct again but has not attained the position it was in before it went retrograde. I don't think that would have any affect on the mental processes - only whether it was retro or completely stationary.

Zarathu

Account Closed
Nobody has their birth time down to the second so that is irrelevant anyway. A good software program can give you the velocity of the planet and the exact period when it is stationary (no velocity), but that time is very short. I suppose if someone is born with Mercury stationary it can reflect a mind that is slow to react or stubborn to change. I think the "shadow" period refers to when it has gone direct again but has not attained the position it was in before it went retrograde. I don't think that would have any affect on the mental processes - only whether it was retro or completely stationary.

Speak for yourself! I rectified mine to the 1/4 second!