Career Vocation

waybread

megaB, Most of us are amateur astrologers on this forum. You know the old saying, "You get what you pay for." A good professional astrologer can do more with precision than an amateur.

I greatly appreciate your replies-- it is how I learn.

Now that you are more mature, you can analyse your own needs and motives. I believe that, in psychiatry and clinical psychology, the goal is for the patient to gain his own self-understanding, not for the professional simply to hand it to the patient. I think astrology should work the same way. No free-standing adult should want some type of fortune-telling that takes away his inner autonomy. I don't think you want this, either.

Astrology was often compared to medicine in the past. Just as a doctor tries to diagnose an illness and make a prognosis, but can make mistakes; the astrologer tries to analyse a human being or event and do some forecasting, but can also make mistakes.

My father was a doctor in a large city in the U. S., and while I recognized that it was a position of respect (in the old days!) I never grew up thinking of doctors as god-like! (When you see your Dad at home, you know exactly how human he really is.) From the patient's perspective, I can't think of a worse motive for a young man going into medicine than money or prestige, but thank you for clarifying that this was a typical view in rural Portugal.

Jealousy is also a terrible motive to choose a particular career. And I know very well and personally how it feels and what it does to people. As an adult in my 30s, I had a career that required a lot of formal education, but didn't pay very well. I had friends from all walks of life, but I never compared myself to the poorer ones, only to the ones with big beautiful homes, and seemingly money for whatever they wanted. Now that I am older, I think it is important to be financially secure, but that happiness doesn't come with a price-tag.

A lot of lonely single men would feel happier with a girlfriend! But would a good woman prefer to be your nurse or your equal partner? What would her life be like if she had to worry about you falling apart whenever she had to travel? Truth be told, a lot of women hope for a husband who will look after them, not the other way around; so establishing your own mental health will be important for the success of any relationship.

In your studies, did you ever come across the psychological technique of "reframing" or "editing your life-story"? You might find it helpful.

You might succeed as a financial manager-- I would never look at your chart and say you couldn't. But do you think the types of issues you face in medicine would miraculously disappear with a MBA and career change? Would envy about men who make more money than you vanish? If you professionally invest other people's money, would they want your primary motive to be your own wealth enhancement, or their financial security?

Venus-Uranus can have the meaning of relationships that begin and end quickly. It can also have other meanings that are more empowering. I believe in a choice-centered astrology, where, if we choose and actively cultivate the more empowering meanings, the universe re-aligns and then we are more likely to experience the positive interpretations. But this does take some effort on our part.

Good luck with your choices, megaB. You seem like a very intelligent and thoughtful man who has much to contribute to other people. And maybe this is my final question: to what extent is life about our personal wants, vs. what we can contribute to other people?