What would you tell your younger self in one brief phone call from the Future?

JUPITERASC

Sorry love,
Presumably you had a greek word for love in mind :smile:

fourloves.png

when I saw that it was wiki,

I swished my nose in the air

Dont-Hold-Your-Breath-1.jpg

Last edited:

AppLeo

In the Bible, we see that God chose to reveal Himself to us through the medium of relationship. Even if one does not believe in God, the Bible contains much multi-level wisdom on the topic of relationships, including the relationship we have with the self. Proverbs are part of the Old-Testament Bible. They are written in Hebrew. The New-Testament Bible is written in Greek. Reading the Bible in the original language facilitates much greater extraction of the meaning since, often, Hebrew and Greek words do not translate directly to the English language. One example of this is the biblical term for love (Agapao), the meaning of which is more encompassing than the English meaning and refers, ultimately, to the death of self. Another example is one of the descriptions of what love is not, which is envious. The Greek word for envy means to covet. It is used both negatively and positively, depending on the context. Here, Paul uses it negatively to mean being in a state of eagerness and desire to possess somebody else's life, lifestyle or possession. This contrasts with the same word used in the positive context when it means to have eagerness to serve the Lord. Thus coveting someone else’s lifestyle and walking by Faith cannot co-exist. In the Bible, the Holy Spirit uses the same word in the positive (Life) and the negative (death) sense to highlight to us the motivations of our heart, the error in our perception, to bring conviction against being controlled by the self, or somebody else's self, but rather by the Holy Spirit, Himself. Rather than being true love, coveting is self-love.

I mean that's cool you like the bible, but I can learn more about relationships from psychology and first hand experiences.

apple. Are you into journalism at all?

Yeah, I keep my own journal :3

waybread

Is everyone here familiar with the film Babette's Feast? It is a Danish film that won an academy award. It has a scene in it much like the one in the OP.

The film is about two elderly spinsters, daughters of an old-fashioned pastor, in a remote windswept coastal part of Denmark. In their youth, one sister was courted by a visiting opera star, because of her beautiful voice. He wanted to train her to become an opera singer. She turned him down out of her obedience to her father. The other sister was courted by a young military officer, the nephew of the local aristocratic family. But he leaves with his regiment and soon marries a wife with a much higher social station.

Babette is a brilliant French chef fleeing incognito from social unrest in Paris in 1871, who is given refuge by the two sisters at the written request of the opera star. She becomes the sisters' housekeeper. For years Babette hides her talent, until one day she wins the lottery and is able to prepare an amazing dinner for the sisters and their guests-- one of whom is the former young military officer, now an ageing general, back as a dinner guest in the home of the sister he never forgot.

There is a sort of dream scene in which the general confronts his young self, and asks, what did you want of me? Did I become everything you wanted? But obviously, there was a piece of his heart missing.

Near the end of the meal, the general says, that what you go after in life shall be given to you. And what you give up in life shall be given to you, as well.

Not always, but sometimes things do come back to you.

Also, if you really want something in life, it's better to risk heartbreak and failure than not to make the attempt.