Should we get 1 or 2 cats?

Starsign

I am planning on getting a beautiful Maine Coon cat next year but cannot make up my mind as to get 1 or 2? I see Mercury in Scorpio which isn't a dual sign so I guess its pointing to 1 cat?

Attachments

• astro_2gw_should_we_get_1_or_2_cats_hi.62672.77365.jpg
    astro_2gw_should_we_get_1_or_2_cats_hi.62672.77365.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

waybread

Small animals like cats are a 6th house matter.

Venus is your significator, located in the 6th house as a co-significator of the 6th. Virgo on the 6th house cusp is one of the dual signs, which can indicate two of something. Plus, the conventional wisdom about cats is that it is no more trouble to have two than one, and they appreciate a companion if brought in at the same time, especially if they are litter mates.

But is their something else going on here? Mercury (ruler of the 6th) has no essential dignity and the moon in Scorpio is in its fall. Venus (you) is also in detriment in Scorpio. Mercury's cusp ruler Mars is domiciled in Aries, but it is in the 12th house, and then Venus is in detriment in this sign. The sun as co-significator of the 6th falls in Libra.

Have you got a partner, or someone else who shares your living space, who really does not want you to have a cat? Possibly there is a pet allergy?

(You ask whether "we" should get a cat or cats-- presumably there is more than one decision-maker here.)

Starsign

Thank you for your reply Waybread.

This is really interesting in what you have said. My husband and I had talked about getting a cat a while ago and he seemed happy about it, (our last cat died 11 years ago), but recently he seems not so happy about the idea. Maybe its the thought of having 2?

He is outnumbered by myself and my eldest son anyway :whistling:
I thought they would keep each other company. They would be from the same litter.

With Merc (the cat?) having no essential dignity, does that mean its not wanted or something to with the cat itself?

waybread

I had trouble deciphering this, but came down on the side of cat/s-to-be seeming less desirable in the eyes of your spouse (or another party in the decision.)

I had cats in the past, one of whom lived to be 20! The advice then and now was that it is actually kinder for the cat to give it a companion. Cats are pretty independent, so it's hardly more trouble to have two. Maybe double the veterinary bills, but the cats tend to play together if the owners are away most of the day.

Other decisions are indoors/outdoor cats, whether to have them declawed (mine ruined two sofas and some drapes by scratching) and who deals with the cat litter.

"Merc" sounds like a great cat name, BTW.

Starsign

Thank you Waybread for your reply.

If we do go ahead I will push for getting 2 cats (much to my husband's dismay) from the same litter. I would prefer them to be indoor cats but this is where we yet again disagree, he thinks I'm being too precious :annoyed: (I'll be doing all the care and cleaning up after them).

Merc does sound like a nice name for a cat, you know,.. that may stick!

SunLibra

I am planning on getting a beautiful Maine Coon cat next year but cannot make up my mind as to get 1 or 2? I see Mercury in Scorpio which isn't a dual sign so I guess its pointing to 1 cat?

No but the 6th house is Virgo which is a duel sign. Cats like company so I'd go for two.