Observations of personality similarities based on birth month

Have you found astrological personality descriptions to be accurate?

• Total voters

AriesTiger

Hi everyone. I just joined. My sun sign is Aries, but I act more like Pisces. I’m a tiger in the Chinese zodiac, but I don't act like my sign there either. I have noticed that there are personality similarities in people based on their birth month. Some similarities are compatible with the western astrological sun signs they happen to be, while others are not. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed similar things with people you have met? Do you find astrological personality descriptions are more accurate than not? How many people do you know that they are true for?

[Deleted query as to whether this topic was posted in the wrong spot. I've moved it to the right spot. - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

MoonlightSonata

I don't know a lot about Chinese astrology, but I can identify with some of what I've read.

As for western astrology, I've found that some interpretations can be hit or miss depending on how natal aspects, transits and progressions play out.

AriesTiger

I don't know a lot about Chinese astrology, but I can identify with some of what I've read.

As for western astrology, I've found that some interpretations can be hit or miss depending on how natal aspects, transits and progressions play out.

I’m mainly looking at what similarities can be found based on birth month, not moon sign or rising sign or position of the stars/planets at the time of birth. So, for example, what personality similarities have you observed for people born in February?

MoonlightSonata

I’m mainly looking at what similarities can be found based on birth month, not moon sign or rising sign or position of the stars/planets at the time of birth. So, for example, what personality similarities have you observed for people born in February?

Some February folks I've run across exhibit what could be considered typical Aquarian and Piscean behavior at times. Others? Not so much.

AriesTiger

Some February folks I've run across exhibit what could be considered typical Aquarian and Piscean behavior at times. Others? Not so much.

Can you say how many people you know born in each month and summarize what personality traits each group of people have in common? Aquarius and Pisces are very different personalities.

MoonlightSonata

Can you say how many people you know born in each month and summarize what personality traits each group of people have in common? Aquarius and Pisces are very different personalities.

No, I can't. You're asking me to sum up decades of random encounters and my opinion of each encounter, which is impossible.

As I said earlier, some people I've met over the years who turned out to be Aquarians or Pisceans did, in my very subjective opinion, exhibit some generic or stereotypical Aquarius and Pisces traits at times. But that certainly wasn't true of all of them. That much, I easily remember.

I don't think there's any way to objectively attribute specific traits to people solely based on their birth month, or even their birthday, because we're constantly changing.

AriesTiger

No, I can't. You're asking me to sum up decades of random encounters and my opinion of each encounter, which is impossible.

As I said earlier, some people I've met over the years who turned out to be Aquarians or Pisceans did, in my very subjective opinion, exhibit some generic or stereotypical Aquarius and Pisces traits at times. But that certainly wasn't true of all of them. That much, I easily remember.

I don't think there's any way to objectively attribute specific traits to people solely based on their birth month, or even their birthday, because we're constantly changing.

Of course you can’t remember everyone you’ve met over your entire life. But aren’t there people whose birth months you do remember? Like family and close friends? I don’t think people change *that* much, after childhood is over. I can think of several people I’ve known in life who share a couple traits in common and were born in the same month. (Traits that don’t really change. Like introversion, having a sense of humor, liking to be the center of attention, being messy or clean, being a thinker, being emotional, being a rebel/nonconformist, being a family person, being sporty, etc. Things that you’d find in the Myers-Briggs personality typology or any psychological typology. As far as I know, people’s psychological classifications in those things don’t change over time.) But I only know about 3 people per month, some months only 1 or 0, so I wanted to collect other people’s observations and see if they match up with my own.

Isn’t it true that the Greek zodiac was started first by coming up with personality summaries based on personal observations of similarities, and then those groups of characteristics were assigned to a constellation of an animal/symbol that was made up after the fact? I’m trying to do the first step of that process, sort of making my own zodiac without reliance on the already established greek zodiac.

If we’re constantly changing and no personality attributes can describe us at all times of our life (or the majority of it, after childhood), then the Greek zodiac descriptions would be useless. But they do describe certain types of people. An Aries is very different from a Pisces. If a person is born under Aries, then that person should exhibit Aries traits throughout their life. If they only act like Aries for a few years, Pisces the next few years, Sagittarius the next three years, Libra the next few years, etc., then the personality descriptions are pointless. Personality is supposed to be fixed and unchanging. The point of classifying people is to describe them, their core selves. An Aries should always be an Aries. Those traits should always be true of them. If that’s not the case, then everyone is every trait under the sun. An Aries would be no different than a Taurus, and a Taurus would be no different than a Gemini. All would be quiet and loud, messy and clean, masculine and feminine, etc. But that’s not how people are in my experience. Introverts stay introverts. The messy stay messy. The masculine stay masculine.

What’s your birth month? How would you describe your personality in three words?

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Of course you can’t remember everyone you’ve met over your entire life. But aren’t there people whose birth months you do remember? Like family and close friends? I don’t think people change *that* much, after childhood is over. I can think of several people I’ve known in life who share a couple traits in common and were born in the same month. (Traits that don’t really change. Like introversion, having a sense of humor, liking to be the center of attention, being messy or clean, being a thinker, being emotional, being a rebel/nonconformist, being a family person, being sporty, etc. Things that you’d find in the Myers-Briggs personality typology or any psychological typology. As far as I know, people’s psychological classifications in those things don’t change over time.) But I only know about 3 people per month, some months only 1 or 0, so I wanted to collect other people’s observations and see if they match up with my own.

Isn’t it true that the Greek zodiac was started first by coming up with personality summaries based on personal observations of similarities, and then those groups of characteristics were assigned to a constellation of an animal/symbol that was made up after the fact? I’m trying to do the first step of that process, sort of making my own zodiac without reliance on the already established greek zodiac.

If we’re constantly changing and no personality attributes can describe us at all times of our life (or the majority of it, after childhood), then the Greek zodiac descriptions would be useless. But they do describe certain types of people. An Aries is very different from a Pisces. If a person is born under Aries, then that person should exhibit Aries traits throughout their life. If they only act like Aries for a few years, Pisces the next few years, Sagittarius the next three years, Libra the next few years, etc., then the personality descriptions are pointless. Personality is supposed to be fixed and unchanging. The point of classifying people is to describe them, their core selves. An Aries should always be an Aries. Those traits should always be true of them. If that’s not the case, then everyone is every trait under the sun. An Aries would be no different than a Taurus, and a Taurus would be no different than a Gemini. All would be quiet and loud, messy and clean, masculine and feminine, etc. But that’s not how people are in my experience. Introverts stay introverts. The messy stay messy. The masculine stay masculine.

What’s your birth month? How would you describe your personality in three words?

I applaud your efforts and wish you luck, but I have to disagree with some of what you're proposing here.

I still think people are far too complex to be accurately described in a few words solely based on their birth month for a couple of reasons:

One, for the most part, we all have the ability to change our personality as little or as much as we choose to. And sometimes life forces us to change.

Two, astrology and our understanding of it has evolved over millennia as we evolve and our understanding of human nature evolves. For instance, some practitioners stick with traditional planets and certain house systems while others may be partial to Neptune and Ophiuchus.

Going back to the birth month thing, my opinion of two December-born relatives has changed dramatically over the years. One used to annoy me to no end (and vice versa), but now we get along just fine because I realize we were both being brats in our own way back then and we've matured to some extent.

And while I used to adore the other December-born relative when I was a child, I began to see her as a very toxic person after some truths were revealed to me over the years. So I pretty much cut her out of my life for my own wellbeing.

Did/do either of my relatives have traits that I would say are typical of all the people I've encountered who were born in December? No. In fact, those two alone were almost like night and day in terms of their personalities. And even if you and I were to share the same opinions of these people, wouldn't that just be confirmation bias at the end of the day?

Nevertheless, if I were to try and sum up my personality in three words, I'd choose mercurial, curious and philosophical - mercurial being the most accurate IMO because that's how I see myself and others now. However, if you were to ask me this question 10+ years ago, I'd probably use different adjectives. And who's to say how I'll answer that question 10+ years from now.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

AriesTiger

I applaud your efforts and wish you luck, but I have to disagree with some of what you're proposing here.

I still think people are far too complex to be accurately described in a few words solely based on their birth month for a couple of reasons:

One, for the most part, we all have the ability to change our personality as little or as much as we choose to. And sometimes life forces us to change.

Two, astrology and our understanding of it has evolved over millennia as we evolve and our understanding of human nature evolves. For instance, some practitioners stick with traditional planets and certain house systems while others may be partial to Neptune and Ophiuchus.

Going back to the birth month thing, my opinion of two December-born relatives has changed dramatically over the years. One used to annoy me to no end (and vice versa), but now we get along just fine because I realize we were both being brats in our own way back then and we've matured to some extent.

And while I used to adore the other December-born relative when I was a child, I began to see her as a very toxic person after some truths were revealed to me over the years. So I pretty much cut her out of my life for my own wellbeing.

Did/do either of my relatives have traits that I would say are typical of all the people I've encountered who were born in December? No. In fact, those two alone were almost like night and day in terms of their personalities. And even if you and I were to share the same opinions of these people, wouldn't that just be confirmation bias at the end of the day?

Nevertheless, if I were to try and sum up my personality in three words, I'd choose mercurial, curious and philosophical - mercurial being the most accurate IMO because that's how I see myself and others now. However, if you were to ask me this question 10+ years ago, I'd probably use different adjectives. And who's to say how I'll answer that question 10+ years from now.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply. I only know one person born in December. I’d describe her as fickle, extroverted, brave, curious, skeptical, playful, and an animal lover. Do the December people you know share any of those traits?

What month were you born in?

Not sure what you meant by mercurial, so I looked it up in the dictionary. I got this:
“changeable; volatile; fickle; flighty; erratic: a mercurial nature.
animated; lively; sprightly; quick-witted.”
Which one of those words matches what you meant by mercurial?

MoonlightSonata

Thanks for your reply. I only know one person born in December. I’d describe her as fickle, extroverted, brave, curious, skeptical, playful, and an animal lover. Do the December people you know share any of those traits?

What month were you born in?

Not sure what you meant by mercurial, so I looked it up in the dictionary. I got this:
“changeable; volatile; fickle; flighty; erratic: a mercurial nature.
animated; lively; sprightly; quick-witted.”
Which one of those words matches what you meant by mercurial?

Some do.

As for me, I was born in October. And when I say I'm mercurial, that means any of the synonyms you listed could be used to describe me. So let's go with the first one: changeable.

CapAquaPis

We have 12 astrological months: tropical (21st of previous-21st of following months), sidereal (11th of previous-11th of following months), and calendar. Aries and Taurus April people can be similar I came to notice, but anyone born on Apr 20-30 are sidereal cool Pisces and have a typically hot Aries personality.

AriesTiger

We have 12 astrological months: tropical (21st of previous-21st of following months), sidereal (11th of previous-11th of following months), and calendar. Aries and Taurus April people can be similar I came to notice, but anyone born on Apr 20-30 are sidereal cool Pisces and have a typically hot Aries personality.

What do you mean by “Pisces cool”? How can a person be both that and also be hot like Aries? Can you describe the personality of people born between 4/20-4/30 without using zodiac terms? Not because I’m not familiar with the zodiac personality descriptions, because I am, but I would like you to be more specific without relying on just saying “like Pisces” or “like Aries.” Pisces is a very different personality from Aries, and there are more than one aspect of personality that defines each of the 12 zodiac signs. I’m looking for people’s observations of others’ personalities. Whether or not those observations match up with the zodiac personality descriptions does not matter. It doesn’t have to be limited to certain months or certain signs.

For example:
“I’ve noticed people born between 5/5-5/15 are talented in drawing. I’ve noticed people born 11/16-11/30 are good leaders. I’ve noticed people born in the entire month of August are popular and snobby. I’ve noticed people born in the winter are aloof. My mother, cousin, and grandfather were all born in September, and they are all interested in the sciences.”

Last edited: