Looking to change careers

Asaji

Hi,
I am a mother to a 20 month old and currently on hiatus from my job. I want to be a positive role model for my daughter and feel like a career change would help with that. I’ve been working as an architect for 13 years but I’ve been unhappy with my career for most of my working life. I don’t enjoy sitting in an office cubicle in front of the computer full-time, working my butt off for little acknowledgement and feeling stressed, inferior, and like a minority in a male dominated industry; and I can’t relate to the people I work with. I’ve been hesitant to make a move I think because of my Mars conj. Saturn in Libra squaring my Capricorn Rising.
I would like my new career to be stable and financially secure so that I can provide for my family (Cancer Sun) but at the same time be able to better express myself. I was considering teaching, but wonder if nursing fits my temperament more? I enjoy being creative and have a background in art, but I’m too scared to start my own business, especially now that I have a child to support.
What careers would better suit me based on my chart? My chart can be found here: https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/5134/hYpRNM.jpg
Thanks in advance!

Gemini888

If you have worked as an architect and also have a background of art, why don't you go for interior design? This job will provide you with a stable income while giving you a more arty career route, especially when you have 3 planets in Libra, a sign of beauty and design.

But may I ask, what's your idea of "art"? Are you content with making art for other people or do you want to just go out there and make your own art? Your 9H is packed. MC and Asc's rulers form a trine to Gem Merc in 5H. Gem Venus opposites Uranus. Sun opposites Neptune. I have a feeling you aren't the type that like restriction. Unfortunately though, restriction is a necessary evil if you want a stable income. I'm just curious how much you are willing to endure restriction for your arty way.

Joe Zaza

Using dispositors (under Placidus houses), your Midheaven ultimately points to Mercury in the 5th House:

Asaji-02.png

…which could mean a career involving communication (Mercury) with children (5th House). The "color" of the dispositor path covers Scorpio (the MC), your 9th Pluto in Libra, and your 5th Venus in Gemini.

Most people interpret the Scorpio MC as someone desiring a "powerful" (Scorpio) position of authority (MC). Being as how I also have a Scorpio MC, I reject that assumption. Scorpio is inherently "altercentric", or oriented towards others.

In fact, Robert Hand confirms this in "Planets in Transit" and "Horoscope Symbols", where he speaks through the lens of depth psychology to explain how anything Pluto does in the service of self (i.e., anything egocentric) will amass forces against oneself that the subject soon finds insurmountable.

Simply put, Scorpio and its modern ruler (Pluto) are on an axis of value; or the opposites to Taurus and its ruler (Venus; and although Hand advocates traditional rulership now, he's suggested that Taurus could be ruled by Earth, which is geocentrically found on the IC since we're literally standing on it).

All 6 of the horoscope axes (Aries-Libra, Taurus-Scorpio, Gemini-Sagittarius, Cancer-Capricorn, Leo-Aquarius and Virgo-Pisces) have a "inner-outer" dichotomy, but with each sharing something in common (e.g., Gemini-Sagittarius being understanding, Cancer-Capricorn being establishment, and Taurus-Scorpio being values).

The embodiment of "outer values" (i.e., where Scorpio lies on this axis) depends on whether you're looking at Scorpio through the lens of the abstract or the lens of the mundane.

Through the lens of the mundane, Scorpio CAN mean "other people's property", which is how most people interpret Scorpionic energy: as someone who's jealous, possessive, seeks power, and who takes time to distinguish between what belongs to them & others. And because (as Hand says) the first thing we "own" is our bodies, this explains why Scorpio is described as sexual (or watching other people's bodies); because that's the most basic thing THEY own.

But none of this makes Scorpio "inherently" jealous, possessive or Machiavellian. The problem is that most people look at Scorpio through the lens of Sun-sign Scorpios, and since the Sun itself is egocentric, that creates the ego-other contradiction. So while a Sun-sign Scorpio has to spend much of their lives learning that Scorpionic energy can never be placed in service of the ego, many eventually figure this out… even at a young age.

Which brings us to understanding Scorpio through the lens of the abstract. Through this lens, Scorpionic energy focuses not on property (or what others own), but on values: what others consider to be worthy... or important.

This explains why Sun-sign Scorpios are described as "the best detectives in the zodiac" (second only to Virgo): because they observe people with that intent (to discover what others value). This also explains why they're described as being the "best B.S. detectors"; because (along with the other water signs) they tend to focus on non-verbal communication (body language, facial expressions, hand gestures and tone of voice) to discover people's motives.

But none of this means they'll use what they discover in service of their targets (i.e., the people they're observing). One of the next lessons a Sun-sign Scorpio has to learn is that while their discoveries bring them power, they also saddle them with responsibility. But instead of doing that, they "mentally trespass" (or use those discoveries) to control others. What they end up learning (time after time) is that people will protect their privacy fiercely—to the point of denying the obvious—to get away from any outside control.

So the equilibrium they eventually come to is to use their inclinations (to discover other people's motives) for service instead of profit; which lies (exactly) in the realm of psychology. But this requires care and many delicate techniques (erecting boundaries to control projection, displacement or transference) to be effective (i.e., to make breakthroughs, untangle complexes and promote better self-understanding). It can never be done with even the slightest profit for the psychologist, because doing so creates an irreparable breach of trust that will undo even hundreds of hours of work.

Obviously, this doesn't mean ALL Scorpios become psychologists, or are even able to transcend to the realm of abstraction (from more concrete concerns).

(By the way, if you expand the order of magnitude from personal to social, this also explains why Scorpio and the 8th House have to do with taxes; they're a social agreement on what to do with other people's money / property. On this level [mutual consent between multiple parties], this also explains sex, and it also explains death as the passing of property [in this case, one's own body] to the world at large.)

But if you think of Scorpio as the "derived 2nd" to the 7th House (or second sign after Libra), it's basically the realm of mutual ownership in a one-to-one relationship.

So ALL kinds of counseling fall into the realm of Scorpio, Plutonic energy and the 8th House. The only difference is, as opposed to "one-to-self" or "one-to-many", that Scorpio focuses on "one-to-one".

SORRY that took so long to explain. Scorpio stinks.

Anyway, moving from your Scorpio MC to your 9th Pluto in Libra, this is a very generational placement. In the 9th, it usually means a philosophy or system of thought geared towards "extreme" (Pluto) balance (Libra).

Again, we see the tendency of Scorpio/Plutonic energy to blend between self and other on a "one-to-one" basis, but the practical need to keep those lines distinct is still at play there. What it could mean for you (as a dispositor) is that again, you have an inclination to work closely with clientele. And because it's found in your 9th House (along with Mars and Saturn, no less), you've been somehow steeped in that paradigm (either philosophically or academically); the paradigm of working closely with others despite any frustrations (Mars+Saturn).

From there, we disposit to your 5th Venus in Gemini, which again means "one-to-one" relationships, but this time with children (5th House). It could also mean with anyone involved in performance art (5th House = amusements/expression) or speculation (5th House = gambling). And from there, we disposit to your 5th House Mercury in Gemini, which also means communication (Mercury, Gemini) with children (5th House).

Mercury, Gemini, & the 3rd House, like all "airy influences" point to intellect, inference (for inference's sake; association more than correlation) and relationships. But the 3rd House = the relationship of "one-to-self" (i.e., thought, the mind, your native language and internal conversation), Venus, Libra & the 7th House = "one-to-one" (partnership, rivalry, and your preconceived notions of the outer world), and Uranus, Aquarius & the 11th = the relationships of "one-to-many" (groups, friends, and humanity as a whole).

Since the most emphasized relationships in this dispositor career path are "one-to-one" and (ultimately) "one-to-self", you could focus on child development, or teaching young children how communicate, think, or otherwise order their thoughts.

Which to me, sounds like early child development combined with linguistics... which could lead to specialization in cognitive behavioral therapy (on the psychology side) or symbolic interactionism (on the sociology side). In other words, social psychology might be the academic pathway for you.

Under the equal house system (on the other hand), your Midheaven disposits to a completely different path:

Asaji-01.png

Here, we find your Pluto in the (equal) 10th, meaning that it's less of an academic (or philosophical) inclination and more of an authoritative one. In other words, how you've learned to exercise your will as a public figure. Fortunately, it's (still) in a gentle sign (Libra) and in the upper half of your horoscope (i.e., oriented to the outer world).

However, because the right half of your horoscope has to do with "others" and the left half has to do with "self", finding Pluto in the 10th places it in service of the self AS an authority figure, so reversals of fortune tend to happen when you find it high or past the cusp of the 10th. If you can keep in mind that your motive (as a Scorpio MC / equal 10th Pluto) should always be service instead of profit, you should be able to exercise that authority without fear.

After that, the dispositions (to Venus and Mercury) are pretty much the same, with the exception of Mercury, which is found at the END of the 5th and conjoining the cusp of the 6th. All I can say about this is that the focus then CHANGES between the 9th & 5th House emphases of the Placidus reading (children, education) to a 10th/6th House emphasis under the equal houses.

Your equal house Venus is still in the 5th, giving it a "children" color, but because its dispositor (Mercury) is so close to the 6th, your career path shows more of an emphasis on "public status" (the 10th House) and "the workplace" (the 6th).

"Career and Technical Education" (CTE) or social work could be relevant here, but you could also look into vocational assistance (which is also one-to-one) and life coaching, which can lean more towards youth.

Virgo and the 6th also point to health, so childhood nutrition counseling… or pets, so maybe some kind of context that brings children and animals together for therapy?

If you're medically inclined at all, this could also point to veterinary work or nursing. However those could combine with children, I'll leave to you. :D

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Asaji

If you have worked as an architect and also have a background of art, why don't you go for interior design? This job will provide you with a stable income while giving you a more arty career route, especially when you have 3 planets in Libra, a sign of beauty and design.

But may I ask, what's your idea of "art"? Are you content with making art for other people or do you want to just go out there and make your own art? Your 9H is packed. MC and Asc's rulers form a trine to Gem Merc in 5H. Gem Venus opposites Uranus. Sun opposites Neptune. I have a feeling you aren't the type that like restriction. Unfortunately though, restriction is a necessary evil if you want a stable income. I'm just curious how much you are willing to endure restriction for your arty way.

Thank you Gemini888 for your response!
I prefer to make art for others. However I don’t think I have enough art sense or nerve to go into interior design. I’m tired of working with clients who have money to burn for spaces that just follow the latest trends. I would rather work with people who truly want my help rather than with clients who just want me to design what they want, if that makes sense. I just feel that as long as I continue to work in the design industry I will always feel this resentment so I am looking at career options in other fields.

I do love freedom and mainly have dreams that are very freeing, however I feel that freedom is a slippery slope to nowhere if I want to provide a positive and stable home environment for my family. My Mars/Saturn conj. also squares Cancer node which I believe is the cause for this “preference” of restriction.

“Endure” is an accurate description for what I’ve been through so far in my adult life. My mother struggled tremendously raising my sister and I while working in the design industry; and her mother, my grandmother, raised 5 daughters all the way to college while working as a schoolteacher.

Asaji

Using dispositors (under Placidus houses), your Midheaven ultimately points to Mercury in the 5th House:

Asaji-02.png

…which could mean a career involving communication (Mercury) with children (5th House). The "color" of the dispositor path covers Scorpio (the MC), your 9th Pluto in Libra, and your 5th Venus in Gemini.

Most people interpret the Scorpio MC as someone desiring a "powerful" (Scorpio) position of authority (MC). Being as how I also have a Scorpio MC, I reject that assumption. Scorpio is inherently "altercentric", or oriented towards others.

In fact, Robert Hand confirms this in "Planets in Transit" and "Horoscope Symbols", where he speaks through the lens of depth psychology to explain how anything Pluto does in the service of self (i.e., anything egocentric) will amass forces against oneself that the subject soon finds insurmountable.

Simply put, Scorpio and its modern ruler (Pluto) are on an axis of value; or the opposites to Taurus and its ruler (Venus; and although Hand advocates traditional rulership now, he's suggested that Taurus could be ruled by Earth, which is geocentrically found on the IC since we're literally standing on it).

All 6 of the horoscope axes (Aries-Libra, Taurus-Scorpio, Gemini-Sagittarius, Cancer-Capricorn, Leo-Aquarius and Virgo-Pisces) have a "inner-outer" dichotomy, but with each sharing something in common (e.g., Gemini-Sagittarius being understanding, Cancer-Capricorn being establishment, and Taurus-Scorpio being values).

The embodiment of "outer values" (i.e., where Scorpio lies on this axis) depends on whether you're looking at Scorpio through the lens of the abstract or the lens of the mundane.

Through the lens of the mundane, Scorpio CAN mean "other people's property", which is how most people interpret Scorpionic energy: as someone who's jealous, possessive, seeks power, and who takes time to distinguish between what belongs to them & others. And because (as Hand says) the first thing we "own" is our bodies, this explains why Scorpio is described as sexual (or watching other people's bodies); because that's the most basic thing THEY own.

But none of this makes Scorpio "inherently" jealous, possessive or Machiavellian. The problem is that most people look at Scorpio through the lens of Sun-sign Scorpios, and since the Sun itself is egocentric, that creates the ego-other contradiction. So while a Sun-sign Scorpio has to spend much of their lives learning that Scorpionic energy can never be placed in service of the ego, many eventually figure this out… even at a young age.

Which brings us to understanding Scorpio through the lens of the abstract. Through this lens, Scorpionic energy focuses not on property (or what others own), but on values: what others consider to be worthy... or important.

This explains why Sun-sign Scorpios are described as "the best detectives in the zodiac" (second only to Virgo): because they observe people with that intent (to discover what others value). This also explains why they're described as being the "best B.S. detectors"; because (along with the other water signs) they tend to focus on non-verbal communication (body language, facial expressions, hand gestures and tone of voice) to discover people's motives.

But none of this means they'll use what they discover in service of their targets (i.e., the people they're observing). One of the next lessons a Sun-sign Scorpio has to learn is that while their discoveries bring them power, they also saddle them with responsibility. But instead of doing that, they "mentally trespass" (or use those discoveries) to control others. What they end up learning (time after time) is that people will protect their privacy fiercely—to the point of denying the obvious—to get away from any outside control.

So the equilibrium they eventually come to is to use their inclinations (to discover other people's motives) for service instead of profit; which lies (exactly) in the realm of psychology. But this requires care and many delicate techniques (erecting boundaries to control projection, displacement or transference) to be effective (i.e., to make breakthroughs, untangle complexes and promote better self-understanding). It can never be done with even the slightest profit for the psychologist, because doing so creates an irreparable breach of trust that will undo even hundreds of hours of work.

Obviously, this doesn't mean ALL Scorpios become psychologists, or are even able to transcend to the realm of abstraction (from more concrete concerns).

(By the way, if you expand the order of magnitude from personal to social, this also explains why Scorpio and the 8th House have to do with taxes; they're a social agreement on what to do with other people's money / property. On this level [mutual consent between multiple parties], this also explains sex, and it also explains death as the passing of property [in this case, one's own body] to the world at large.)

But if you think of Scorpio as the "derived 2nd" to the 7th House (or second sign after Libra), it's basically the realm of mutual ownership in a one-to-one relationship.

So ALL kinds of counseling fall into the realm of Scorpio, Plutonic energy and the 8th House. The only difference is, as opposed to "one-to-self" or "one-to-many", that Scorpio focuses on "one-to-one".

SORRY that took so long to explain. Scorpio stinks.

Anyway, moving from your Scorpio MC to your 9th Pluto in Libra, this is a very generational placement. In the 9th, it usually means a philosophy or system of thought geared towards "extreme" (Pluto) balance (Libra).

Again, we see the tendency of Scorpio/Plutonic energy to blend between self and other on a "one-to-one" basis, but the practical need to keep those lines distinct is still at play there. What it could mean for you (as a dispositor) is that again, you have an inclination to work closely with clientele. And because it's found in your 9th House (along with Mars and Saturn, no less), you've been somehow steeped in that paradigm (either philosophically or academically); the paradigm of working closely with others despite any frustrations (Mars+Saturn).

From there, we disposit to your 5th Venus in Gemini, which again means "one-to-one" relationships, but this time with children (5th House). It could also mean with anyone involved in performance art (5th House = amusements/expression) or speculation (5th House = gambling). And from there, we disposit to your 5th House Mercury in Gemini, which also means communication (Mercury, Gemini) with children (5th House).

Mercury, Gemini, & the 3rd House, like all "airy influences" point to intellect, inference (for inference's sake; association more than correlation) and relationships. But the 3rd House = the relationship of "one-to-self" (i.e., thought, the mind, your native language and internal conversation), Venus, Libra & the 7th House = "one-to-one" (partnership, rivalry, and your preconceived notions of the outer world), and Uranus, Aquarius & the 11th = the relationships of "one-to-many" (groups, friends, and humanity as a whole).

Since the most emphasized relationships in this dispositor career path are "one-to-one" and (ultimately) "one-to-self", you could focus on child development, or teaching young children how communicate, think, or otherwise order their thoughts.

Which to me, sounds like early child development combined with linguistics... which could lead to specialization in cognitive behavioral therapy (on the psychology side) or symbolic interactionism (on the sociology side). In other words, social psychology might be the academic pathway for you.

Under the equal house system (on the other hand), your Midheaven disposits to a completely different path:

Asaji-01.png

Here, we find your Pluto in the (equal) 10th, meaning that it's less of an academic (or philosophical) inclination and more of an authoritative one. In other words, how you've learned to exercise your will as a public figure. Fortunately, it's (still) in a gentle sign (Libra) and in the upper half of your horoscope (i.e., oriented to the outer world).

However, because the right half of your horoscope has to do with "others" and the left half has to do with "self", finding Pluto in the 10th places it in service of the self AS an authority figure, so reversals of fortune tend to happen when you find it high or past the cusp of the 10th. If you can keep in mind that your motive (as a Scorpio MC / equal 10th Pluto) should always be service instead of profit, you should be able to exercise that authority without fear.

After that, the dispositions (to Venus and Mercury) are pretty much the same, with the exception of Mercury, which is found at the END of the 5th and conjoining the cusp of the 6th. All I can say about this is that the focus then CHANGES between the 9th & 5th House emphases of the Placidus reading (children, education) to a 10th/6th House emphasis under the equal houses.

Your equal house Venus is still in the 5th, giving it a "children" color, but because its dispositor (Mercury) is so close to the 6th, your career path shows more of an emphasis on "public status" (the 10th House) and "the workplace" (the 6th).

"Career and Technical Education" (CTE) or social work could be relevant here, but you could also look into vocational assistance (which is also one-to-one) and life coaching, which can lean more towards youth.

Virgo and the 6th also point to health, so childhood nutrition counseling… or pets, so maybe some kind of context that brings children and animals together for therapy?

If you're medically inclined at all, this could also point to veterinary work or nursing. However those could combine with children, I'll leave to you. :D

Hope that helps!

Thank you Joe Zaza for your insights, your comments are more than helpful!! I am amazed at how much information you provided😵.

Thank you for the detailed explanation behind Scorpio in the Midheaven, as a Sun sign, and of the 8th house. Scorpio Midheaven sounds like I will be best in a position where I can empower others, help others through the position of my Libra Pluto, Gemini Venus and Mercury.

I didn’t realize that the final depositor plays a part in the type of vocation that would suit me. Looking to Gemini Mercury in the 5th house makes sense as I’m not inclined to mentally focus on practical matters and so having to do so as an architect is extremely draining. It’s funny that you mention the 5th house relates to performance art because at one point I considered stage design as a career before I went into architecture. I do enjoy working one-on-one with others, especially with children, as long as I can truly help them out. I am not too sure if the equal house or Placidus system applies more to me. I guess I will just have to “feel it out” to see which houses play more of an importance to me - 9th -5th house, or 10th- 6th house. I feel like I’m currently working within the 10th-6th house (in my current position I design for medical and corporate offices), but truly l want to be within the 9th and 5th house realm.

Thanks again, I will be revisiting your comments again as I become more aware of my future career goals.