A Legal Career?

I am a first-year law student, and I am new to astrology. As I was perusing the message boards on this website, I came upon this career astrology forum. Incidentally, I have a few career-related questions, which I hope at least some of the astrologers here may be able to help me answer.

First, does my natal chart provide any specific indications as to my effectiveness as an attorney? Second, will a career as an attorney be both rewarding and fulfilling for me? Third, is a legal career in accord with the positions of the planets at the time of my birth?

I should mention that I believe that I have an atypical personality for a lawyer: I am empathetic, compassionate, and far more concerned with doing what is ‘right’ even if what is right is not in my own best interest. Also, I would describe myself as a “peacemaker” rather than a “fighter.” And while I am not particularly artistic or talented, I have been described as being ingenious and inspirational. Finally, I am a man of few words; however, when I do speak, what I say tends to be impactful and exacting because I generally choose my words with considerable care.

I appreciate your input. I look forward to your responses.

Attachments

• astro_2gw_01_anonymous_hk.69385.22802.jpg
    astro_2gw_01_anonymous_hk.69385.22802.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 49

Krewster

The empathy/compassion is well indicated by your Moon quadra-novile Ven and separately Sun novile Jup.

The ingenious/inspirational is well indicated by your Merc septile Uran.

But as your post already hints, no other aspects to Merc indicate interest in tedious detail and, to boot, your Sun semi-septile family aspect to Sat means your probably not a team player.

On the otherhands:

-there's tons of different natured kinds of attorney work and in many firms the rainmaker (rather than mentally academic) type might be ultimately higher valued; and

-your Ven/Jup 120 Uran/Sat is a to die for combo if amassing assets is of interest (except to the extent the "red" aspects to your Ven from your Sun and Mars may detract).

The empathy/compassion is well indicated by your Moon quadra-novile Ven and separately Sun novile Jup.

The ingenious/inspirational is well indicated by your Merc septile Uran.

But as your post already hints, no other aspects to Merc indicate interest in tedious detail and, to boot, your Sun semi-septile family aspect to Sat means your probably not a team player.

On the otherhands:

-there's tons of different natured kinds of attorney work and in many firms the rainmaker (rather than mentally academic) type might be ultimately higher valued; and

-your Ven/Jup 120 Uran/Sat is a to die for combo if amassing assets is of interest (except to the extent the "red" aspects to your Ven from your Sun and Mars may detract).

Thanks for this information. I am team player insofar as I have to be, but my preference is definitely to work alone. I actually enjoy the tedious stuff because it allows me to work alone. Also, I really love the writing part of being a lawyer ... going about the work of drafting motions, etc. rather obsessively.

waybread

Thanks-- I have to ask because it affects the house cusps. The law as a body of knowledge is a 9th house matter, but litigation is a 7th house matter. Wills and estates and (I think) taxes belong to the 8th house, and so on.

The ruler of your 9th house, Mercury, looks so-so, but the ruler of your 7th house, the moon, is well placed in your 10th house of career. You've got two dignified planets (Saturn and Mars) located in the 12th house, of people who are misfortunate or shut-in in some way, as well as "secret enemies". Consequently the 12th house rules prisons.

I think you might actually be good at criminal law, with your 12th house emphasis and moon-Pluto in Scorpio in your 10th house of career. I am also thinking of the big scandals now re: prisoners who were unjustly convicted, and who gave up years of their lives, incarcerated.

Surely there is a place for you in the legal profession.

Freya39

I agree in the main with what Waybread said. Also, the book Vocation: The New Midheaven Extension Process by Noel Tyle is very good.

Moreover, in order to determined your vocation I think is absolutely necessary to check the cusp of your 5th house. There should be an important indicator. What is your hobby? What do you like to do the most? Then you can understand if you already have incorporated that specific hobby in your daily routine (6th house).
Therefore see if your self-expression is compatible with the type of career you want. Generally, one of our hobbies will become a powerful indicator, which may drive us to achieve our life goal.

Thanks-- I have to ask because it affects the house cusps. The law as a body of knowledge is a 9th house matter, but litigation is a 7th house matter. Wills and estates and (I think) taxes belong to the 8th house, and so on.

The ruler of your 9th house, Mercury, looks so-so, but the ruler of your 7th house, the moon, is well placed in your 10th house of career. You've got two dignified planets (Saturn and Mars) located in the 12th house, of people who are misfortunate or shut-in in some way, as well as "secret enemies". Consequently the 12th house rules prisons.

I think you might actually be good at criminal law, with your 12th house emphasis and moon-Pluto in Scorpio in your 10th house of career. I am also thinking of the big scandals now re: prisoners who were unjustly convicted, and who gave up years of their lives, incarcerated.

Surely there is a place for you in the legal profession.

These are interesting points. Here's what I gather when I look at my own chart.

First, I want point out that the philosophy of law is much different than the practice of law. Law in practice is much less about what you might expect from the 9th or even 7th house. Research has demonstrated time and time again that extra-legal factors influence legal outcomes much more so than the law itself. Successful lawyers are successful because they understand and know the 'right' people, they communicate effectively, and they are masters at "playing the game." And law is not like music or mathematics ... There are no prodigies, and what you put in is what you get out.

I encourage you to dig a bit deeper in my chart and you'll start to see why I believe that law may be a good fit for me.

Mercury is in my second house ... reason, logic, communication ... that's how I generate my income, and my mind is something that I really value about myself. Add my sun to the mix and everything I just mentioned multiplies. (I should mention that I'm pretty smart ... I have a full-tuition scholarship to attend law school ... I attended undergrad on full-tuition scholarship as well.) My third house has venus, jupiter, and my part of fortune. Again, communications, communications, communications. And jupiter, which rules law proper, is well-aspected here and in conjunction with my venus ... I really do love reading, writing, studying philosophy, and studying law. And I have been fortunate enough to have many chance encounters, which have made my efforts in those areas particularly rewarding. (I do not like international law or maritime law, however ... that may explain my weak 9th house.) My 10th house moon makes me feel "at home" in a courtroom. And pluto gives me the power to be a persuasive advocate and a formidable foe in a courtroom. I used to participate in mock trial as an undergrad and my cross-examinations of witnesses were downright epic. (My pluto and my moon are square my mercury. I have a temper, and I'm passionate about getting my point across ... over the years I have learned how not to allow my emotions to completely override my rational thinking.)

12th house stuff ... People genuinely trust me with their secrets and biggest problems. To be an effective advocate you have to be able to build enough rapport with your client(s) so that they're upfront with you. And you need to be able to table all of that in order to figure out a way to put your client in the best light possible ... especially if your client is a really 'bad' person. Also, cases that involve very complex ethical and legal issues fascinate me (e.g., capital punishment, white collar crime, bioethics, health law, mass tort litigation, etc.)

Looking at the future ... I'd really like to be a judge one day. I have wanted to be a judge since I was 5 or 6. (I used to play 'court' with my friends and when they didn't want to play with me, I turned to my stuffed animals.) I'm not sure how that will pan out in the end. But being a judge would allow to me fulfill a life-long dream and it would certainly allow me to use novel thinking and legal ingenuity.

waybread

All the best in your future career--wherever it takes you.

I sometimes find, with career questions, that the issue isn't so much, "will I be a good lawyer?" (or writer, doctor, what-have-you,) but rather, what kind of lawyer should you be? Most careers require some type of specialization, and the horoscope typically can suggest its direction.

My only caution comes from your posts, not from your chart! You write with a lot of self-confidence, which is good and most impressive. Occasionally a man's expressive self-confidence can rub insecure people the wrong way, however. The 12th house also indicates your own "secret enemies": people who seem friendly to your face, but who back-stab when they think they won't be confronted with their actions. So I would suggest you be as good as you can be: in life and in your career. But just stay sensitive as to how other people might take your self-expression.

Krewster

Woaw, my mistake (since your Merc has a novile to Mars and a septile to Uran, the former representing that “relish/dig into a good meal” feeling when you’re writing). Super apologies.
With that novile in play, the feeling that a daily writing-oriented job is the place where you do wanna be each day should endure a lot longer than it does for most of your colleagues (although your last post talks about feeling the personal power to deploy bigger ambitions as represented by your Sun’s 36 min orb-tight semi-decile family aspect to Pluto).
Since Uran-Merc aspects can be generally indicative of smarts, your septile between them would seem most aspectually on point (too bad the septile is so up for grabs interpretatively and so I can’t guess for your whether the inspirational/jump to the right conclusion influence of Uran on your Merc is totally on-the-mark or, instead, subject sometimes to having skipped analysis of a hidden-to-you assumption.

Last edited:

Larxene

Looks like you will be comfortable as a defense attorney then, given your compassion.

The very well-placed Mars indicates that the person is quick-witted and brave. He is rather serious (the dignified Saturn testifies to this as well). Seems like he is sometimes prone to showing his temper in the form of sudden outbursts, although this is lessened by the influence of Saturn. Also, a person who speaks in straight-forward manner, not mincing his words when there is not a need to. Likely to be quite a practical person, not bothering with things that he doesn't find a use for.

In my experience, I have seen a few lawyers who have a prominent Mars in their charts. Mars is probably the significator of profession and praxis here, as the MC is in his sign and there are no planets making a heliacal phase. Usually, the influence of Mars on profession makes one who is inclined towards activities involving the exertion of the body. I suppose yours is a special case, as your Mars is being tempered by Saturn.

This Mars is additionally supported by the beneficial influence of Venus, and secondarily, Jupiter. It is a very well-behaved Mars we are seeing here...no wonder you are not pissing me off in your posts :)

Your Venus is also very well placed. Her trine relationship with Mars adds compassion to the character; a desire to reconciliate and unite, as Schmidt would say. You destroy things (Mars) so that something more important can be united (Venus). Reminds me of an anti-hero haha.

Jupiter's trine to Mars is favourable for legal matters, because it adds the ability to moderate and find middle ground in making judgment calls. Jupiter is zodiacally weak, but some beneficence is bound to be there.

Next, I would look at Mercury for the ability to speak and think clearly, as well as being able to consider the evidence in court logically, which is advantangeous for a lawyer. Mercury is moderately placed, so I would assume there would be no big issues there.

Yeah, why not? I see no problems with being a lawyer.

(By the way, I was under the impression that you are pursuing an undergraduate degree, but I had doubts about that due to your age (26). From your second post it seems you are in grad school now, which makes more sense.)

As an aside, both benefics being well placed in the 5th sign tells me that you will probably have healthy children. You might have many children too, if you are inclined to make them.

Tell me though, do you have any bone problems?

Last edited:

kaali

Hey AstroCommMember, what type of law are you studying? I'm terrible at vocational astrology, but I like that you have Pluto conjunct MC, and Cap Asc conjunct Mars (my step-mom is a lawyer and also has Pluto conjunct MC and Cap Mars in 1st house). I would say Pisces sun is a bit soft-hearted for law, but if you can use it compassionately all the better, and that Virgo SN in 8th house makes a lot of sense... You're comfortable analyzing in depth information, sometimes obsessively as you were saying lol which is perfect

Last edited: