Debate about exaltation of Pluto: Aries, Pisces or Leo?

The19thLaw

I looked up signs where Pluto is considered to be exalted and it seems like Aries, Pisces and Leo came up a lot, astrologers cannot agree.

What I do notice is that Aries is exalted in the sun and Pisces exalted in Venus, Leo seems to have no exaltation at all in astrology for some reason. I am not even sure if it is domiciled in any planets.

Witchyone

The essential dignities: exaltation, domicile, debilitation, and fall come from traditional astrology, which doesn't use Pluto. Some modern astrologers use the dignities or something like them, but it's not a standardized part of modern astrology so there is variance in how they're assigned. Modern astrology is generally less prescriptive and fatalistic than traditional or Vedic, so you don't often see concepts like a planet being in fall.

Here's a discussion on the topic if you wanna get in the weeds.
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68194

waybread

I don't think assigning exaltations to the modern planets is a good idea. These planets do not fit into the table of essential dignities. And then what actually would you do with an exaltation in modern astrology? As a sign ruler, a modern outerplanet can have utility when looking at house cusps. But knowing that Pluto is exalted in Aries (or whatever) does exactly what? We can consider how a planet operates in a given sign without needing to assign it particular strength (exaltation) or weakness (fall.)

During the lifetimes of most people today, Pluto has been in the signs of Leo through Capricorn. Neptune has moved from Virgo or Libra to Pisces. So most people will not experience a hypothetical exaltation beyond their life span.

CapAquaPis

I go by the dignities: (traditional or modern in some cases) ruler comes first and foremost, co-ruler (5 of our signs already have them from Scorpio-Pisces said some astrologers), and influence (a form of exaltation planets) - I added dwarf planets Eris and Sedna, and planetoids Ceres and Chiron onto the list.

Aries: Mars, Pluto, Sun.
Taurus: Venus, Ceres, Mercury.
Gemini: Mercury, Eris, Venus.
Cancer: Moon, Ceres, Sun.
Leo: Sun, Moon, Mars.
Virgo: Mercury, Ceres, Jupiter.
Libra: Venus, Eris, Saturn.
Scorpio: Pluto, Mars, Uranus.
Sagittarius: Jupiter, Neptune, Chiron.
Capricorn: Saturn, Uranus, Pluto.
Aquarius: Uranus, Saturn, Eris.
Pisces: Neptune, Jupiter, Sedna.

david starling

Rulers are of stronger Chart-influence, and better express their innate natures in some Signs than in others. I refer to "Exalted" as a type of rulership , and have Pluto as Exaltation-ruler of Gemini, Domicile-ruler of Scorpio, and Beneficial-ruler of Aries. Different types of rulerships, rather than Domicled as the only meaning of Sign-rulership.

CapAquaPis

Wasn't Capricorn technically exalted in Mars?

What is the relation between Leo and Mars?

According to astrologers, Mars in Leo placements can make one powerful and hot-tempered, similar to traits associated with Mars and it's ruler sign Aries (and traditionally, Scorpio). US President Donald Trump has a prominent Mars in Leo conjunct his Ascendant combined with Gemini sun and sagittarius Moon.

Now, the parazodiacs, which aren't real signs, but their effects on natal charts and horoscopes are detected in astrology. What are their planetary or solar system celestial body rulers?

Cetus (between pisces and Aries): Neptune and Sedna (Piscean), and Pallas (transgender identities, the last sign and first sign of the zodiac year meets).
Orion (Taurus and Gemini): Lilith, Chiron, and True Node (astrological usage).
Sextans (Cancer and Leo): Moon and Juno (parental signs ruled by them), and sedna (a sea creature Cancer the crab, and dramatic Leo, sign of celebrity and entertainment). I would view constellation Sextans as a "dragon's egg".
Ophiuchus (scorpio and Sagittarius): Chiron (wound healer), Lilith (a Scorpio trait relating to death) and Vesta (it's thought to rule Scorpio in some way).

Last edited:

david starling

Wasn't Capricorn technically exalted in Mars?

What is the relation between Leo and Mars?

I have Mars Domicile-ruler of Aries, and the Sun Domicile-ruler of Leo, identical to the Traditional assignments. Un-Traditionally, I have Mars in Leo providing "catalytic" ability, meaning able to cause changes in whatever field it's applied.

waybread

Right, although today, we mostly just go by sign.

My real question is, as a modern astrologer, suppose someone declares an exaltation for a modern planet. What exactly does that mean? How would that influence a chart reading?

In traditional western and horary astrology, an exaltation means something about planetary strength.

david starling

Right, although today, we mostly just go by sign.

My real question is, as a modern astrologer, suppose someone declares an exaltation for a modern planet. What exactly does that mean? How would that influence a chart reading?

In traditional western and horary astrology, an exaltation means something about planetary strength.

Intuitively, Mars in Taurus, which is Traditionally in its Detriment, seems quite strong. Perhaps there's more to the opposite of Domiciled and Exalted than just a lessening of strength. Might have something to do with lower quality of expression.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

I looked up signs where Pluto is considered to be exalted
and it seems like Aries, Pisces
and Leo came up a lot, astrologers cannot agree.
What I do notice is that Aries is exalted in the sun
SUN is exalted in ARIES

and Pisces exalted in Venus,
VENUS is exalted in PISCES

Leo seems to have no exaltation at all in astrology for some reason.
I am not even sure if it is domiciled in any planets.
on the contrary :smile:

SUN is DOMICILED in LEO
i.e.

LEO is the HOME aka DOMICILE of the SUN

david starling

Sun is domiciled in Leo but nothing is really exalted in the sign.

In 12/12, Saturn is Exalted in Leo. But Traditionally, you're right. The signs Leo, Scorpio, and Aquarius lack an Exalted placement in Ptolemy's table of Dignities and Debilities, for example. Same with Vedic--no Exaltation in Leo. Has to do with rulership patterns. There are 7 Domicled rulers for all 12 Signs (7/12). Standard Modern uses a 10/12 system that lacks a coherent pattern of Dignities and Debilities, although I saw one opinion that Neptune is Exalted in Leo, based on intuition. Another was Pluto.
Without a pattern, the 3 Outermosts have to be assigned Exaltations based on intuition. In the 12/12 pattern, in which the Asc and Age-indicator are accorded rulership status along with the 3 Outermosts, Pluto is Exalted in Gemini.

Last edited: