parallels of declination

astro485

How widely spread the recognition of the aspect of parallels of declinations ?
or that aspect is not so popular among many astrologers ?

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

traditional sources

are more concerned with
the use of
parallels of latitude in regards to the classical planets. :smile:

The Sun is naturally always straight on the ecliptic
and therefore zero in terms of latitude at all times :smile:

SUN declination changes

are what define the seasons
and

equinoxes/solstices here on earth.

latitude.jpg
THESE ARE LINES OF LATITUDE THEY ARE PARALLEL

64907-004-870197D7.jpg

radec_declination_lines.gif

phG5EgOJQe2maFt1wIyETiZVk9dF7Zmuhxy98S9y9DjlUbeLTlN08ApJUn59sgvO1rb14vGMzhpBwXVACiIVv8kbCF2MbdfJJWPuTdubHJA

Figure34.gif

Last edited:

IleneK

Premium Member

Hi, astro485,
The late modern astrologer KT Boehrer studied and wrote a good deal about declination. You can read about her and declination on website at

https://www.astrologyweekly.com/declination/

If you combine the closeness of two planets in a chart from both the traditional and commonly used degrees of orb [based on longitude] and closeness that is illustrated by looking at declination, you can zero in on planets in a chart that may be much closer than you thought.

It's pretty interesting.

astro485

IleneK

What do you mean by :"you can zero in on planets in a chart that may be much closer than you thought " ?
maybe calculatation of the mean distance which includes both declination and longtitude distance ?
and what if the planets are alittle out of orb in both cordinates can
we consider them conjunct anyway ?

IleneK

Premium Member
IleneK

What do you mean by :"you can zero in on planets in a chart that may be much closer than you thought " ?

In typical modern astrology, position of a planet or point is defined by its longitude, like 25 Taurus. But that is only one point in a two dimensional view of the vault of heavens. The second point of a planet in the heavens is its position by latitude. If I recall correctly, declination is the measurement of a planet's latitude on the ecliptic, between 23º28 N or S (the maximum distance of the Ecliptic above or below the Equator), the Sun's path which the planets follow.

Since the ecliptic is a wide path, two planets could both be at 25 Tau but have different positions on the ecliptic, so not really really conjunct. It is when they are conjunct both by longitude and by declination that they are really right next to each other and so the aspect is very strong.

I hope this helps. I haven't thought much about declination lately, so I might not be remembering exactly correctly, but this is jist of it.

IleneK
maybe calculatation of the mean distance which includes both declination and longtitude distance ?
I think when you go into averages, you are becoming less precise rather than more. So I suspect the mean distance may not be helpful here, but not sure.

IleneK
and what if the planets are alittle out of orb in both cordinates can
we consider them conjunct anyway ?

You will have to be the judge of how a far is too far out of orb.

When declination added to longitude, it tells you that the closer the two coordinates of each body are to the other, the closer the bodies are in the heavens.

Last edited:

dr. farr

Except for parallels of latitude followed in the 4th century by firmicus maternus, it has really been in modernist astrology that parallels of declination have received their proper importance.