Human existence: the gender of God

leomoon

Waybread:

Leomoon, you are aware of the serious knock-down drag-'em-out debates over biblical archaeology. (Played out in the pages of Biblical Archaeology.) A big project of believing Christians and Jews. In which believing Christians and Jews have used archaeological findings to bolster their claims that the Bible is a true history.

On the opposite side are Palestinian Arab supporters. who claim that the archaeological evidence simply doesn't support an Exodus of Jews from Egypt or the entrance into the land of Israel as a one-time event.
You don't have to be a "Palestinian Arab Supporter" to note there is NO Archeological evidence ever found to support the Exodus tale.

I'm rather certain that not ALL of those Jews (such as the man who wrote the article on Israeli newpaper Haaretz I posted) - is or is not an Arab Palestinian Supporter.

Haaretz from all my years reading them, is one of the two big Israeli newspapers, less orthodox perhaps, and more open the the greater world then their counterpart the Times of Israel.

But I don't think it's fair either to bring up Palestinian Supporters in relation to this question of the Exodus :surprised: Or trying to infer political choice in seeking out truth and proof.

Many people are neutral in this world.
They simply seek truth...:alien:

waybread

Waybread, Leomoon doesn't reject the plausible Exodus because of the absence of other supporting evidence (if it were so, she would have to immediately reject the demoniac's visions of Atlantis and Lemuria), but because it puts the Egyptian religion as base and inferior to the one of Moses.

I appreciate Leomoon's post but I actually wasn't speaking to her beliefs about Exodus, but to mine.

waybread

What I give unto you, you can't yet give unto me.

So what do you think you're giving unto me? And what's with the "yet" bit?

See if you can write more clearly.

You've called yourself a sinner, Petosiris; but I'm actually picking up a Holier Than Thou vibe from your posts.

Last edited:

waybread

You don't have to be a "Palestinian Arab Supporter" to note there is NO Archeological evidence ever found to support the Exodus tale.

I'm rather certain that not ALL of those Jews (such as the man who wrote the article on Israeli newpaper Haaretz I posted) - is or is not an Arab Palestinian Supporter.

Haaretz from all my years reading them, is one of the two big Israeli newspapers, less orthodox perhaps, and more open the the greater world then their counterpart the Times of Israel.

But I don't think it's fair either to bring up Palestinian Supporters in relation to this question of the Exodus :surprised: Or trying to infer political choice in seeking out truth and proof.

Many people are neutral in this world.
They simply seek truth...:alien:

Of course, I take you point, Leomoon. When I wrote the above, I was thinking that some academic circles (notably in Britain) are very anti-Israel. Archaeologists typically are academics. Then their findings-- with interpretations-- are subsequently taken up by a more popular press.

Do you read Biblical Archaeology or the Jerusalem Post? It doesn't matter to me either way. Just curious.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

leomoon

Of course, I take you point, Leomoon. When I wrote the above, I was thinking that some academic circles (notably in Britain) are very anti-Israel. Archaeologists typically are academics. Then their findings-- with interpretations-- are subsequently taken up by a more popular press.

Do you read Biblical Archaeology or the Jerusalem Post? It doesn't matter to me either way. Just curious.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

I use to years ago, but not any more, since either my computer has changed, (I am computer illiterate COMPLETELY), and my husband "fixed it" so that many sites I can't even read as I use to. I recall however, I use to enjoy Haaretz far more, because they were more open minded, imo, and into often have archeology from various regions, interesting articles.

But everytime I go onto these sites now ( I still get the email notices) I can only head the headlines :pouty: and believe me we both tried everything to get the computer operating without banning the ads, etc. He has, I have, but nothing seems to work.

Same with the Washington Post these days, and I think the Atlantic.:sideways:

So I rely on trying to find the headlines elsewhere now. OR as in this case, going onto his computer and he easily opens it no prob!!

What is really strange is that I'm using his equipment, i.e. he installed onto my computer. We both have Kaspersky, that was never an issue, so I am clueless what is going on now.

Long answer, - but short answer is "No"..to either.

I did however, open this link today since you mentioned the name:

Too much to get into for me now, but scanning thru I didn't see anything about "proof found"....just tons of mapsk potential mountains, waterways, etc and seemingly trying to fit a puzzle piece into a belief system carried forward.

I was also curious about Josephus, of course he worked FOR the Romans, but wrote for the Jewish population at that time, being Jewish himself. Cayce inferred btw, that he wasn't altogether neutral because of this. (i.e. may be repeating the story as always taught)

It was only once that I recall that the name came up.

I just don't have the time to devote now to too much research into it as I'd like.

https://biblearchaeology.org/research/exodus-from-egypt/3090-moses-and-hatshepsut

waybread

Where's Petosiris? I miss you already!

Hope you (and everyone else on this thread) is staying healthy.

Speaking of gender, probably we've all heard the expression, "God is love." (1 John 4:8)

Love in French "l'amour" is masculine. An irregular noun, it is feminine in the plural.

"Amore" in Italian is masculine.

Love in German, "Liebe" is feminine.

In Hebrew, how you say, "I love you" depends upon your gender, and the gender of the person to whom you are speaking. The noun "ahava" is feminine.

In Greek, "God is love," Θεός είναι αγάπη Theós eínai agápi uses a feminine word (agape, in English, connoting reverence.

In English "love" is neuter.

Last edited:

waybread

It doesn't seem like I am wanted here. Happy Passover, Waybread.

Of course you're wanted! Disagreed with, perhaps, but definitely wanted. Thanks to you I've done more Bible reading for this thread than I had for a long time. That's good, right? Call me masochistic, but I am fine with a debate that gets me thinking, just so long as it stays civil.

As I mentioned on several posts, I've been inactive in Judaism for over 20 years, and am married to a lapsed Anglican. So no Passover seder here. But this is a good time to think about the broader meaning of the Exodus story which Passover commemorates. Due to COVID-19, I don't think a lot of people will be holding large Passover seders.

I hope that all of you Christians have a meaningful Easter.

Ps 30:5. "...for weeping endures for a night, but joy comes in the morning."

leomoon

It doesn't seem like I am wanted here. Happy Passover, Waybread.

:sad::leoimg::geminiimg::sagittariusimg: Have a Blessed Easter, Passover, and Ramadan (whenever it comes this year), to all of you who frequent this thread.

Don't leave!! Banter is just that. :crying::sad::aquariusimg:
Ramadan 2020

begins Thursday, April 23

• (in 16 days)
ends Saturday, May 23

https://sports.yahoo.com/egypt-ban-ramadan-gatherings-counter-171554820.html

Easter 2020

Sunday, April 12

• (in 5 days
  • Passover 2020

• begins Wednesday, April 8
      • at sunset (tomorrow)
    • ends Thursday, April 16
      • at nightfall

Last edited:

leomoon

There are 2 outer things I miss about my childhood Church. (Roman Catholic)

1) Incense on holy days (burning it at home isn't the same thing...)

2) Christmas songs & especially Easter songs.

The newer songs don't do it for me...:innocent:

I also miss Marshmallow peeps (yellow & pink), and heard that the company who made them by the gobs, closed down this year. :surprised: Poor kids!

note: I'm the girl in the photo. My Scorpio cousin, died of alcoholism a few years ago :surprised: Back in the 50s, we were young and innocent. Thats how I prefer to remember him. Growing up however, I lived with him and his new pregnant wife when they were both high school teachers, just starting out. We had fun all 3 of us too. He use to draw these really strange B & W line drawings of men with nooses around their necks, hanging, or medieval type of things (guillotines?) I suppose I worried, but didn't know he was a Scorpio Sun then like his mom at that time. Both of them artists and he was in Army Intel for a career. Funny, how you recall these things.

THIS was interesting too:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-ea...dRGola7UKU4Rd8GTKhTDuRdemAM6y1J_HZK4MLM8k9RdI

from New Zealand article :

Last edited:

leomoon

Oh please, continue, Petosiris.

I can see why you would take probably what I said to heart. Sorry.

I will not disturb your subject any further.

Don't leave OPAL :surprised: .....Its important everyone has their say, their own opinion. Please say you'll stay :love: If anyone should go, I should, but I won't! I'm rather ornery like that. :tongue:

This is my favorite by far of all the more modern (last century) Painters...Tissot.

He's my "go to" for oils in my Kindle books -

This one is John & Peter running to the Tomb after Mary alerted them. I love all his paintings, its hard to choose sometimes between them.

John 20:2-4 2
So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved, and said, "They have taken the LORD out of the tomb, and we don't know where they have put him!" So Peter and the other disciple started for the tomb. Both were running, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first.
By James J. Tissot

https://www.wikiart.org/en/james-tissot

Opal

Premium Member
Don't leave OPAL :surprised: .....Its important everyone has their say, their own opinion. Please say you'll stay :love: If anyone should go, I should, but I won't! I'm rather ornery like that. :tongue:

This is my favorite by far of all the more modern (last century) Painters...Tissot.

He's my "go to" for oils in my Kindle books -

This one is John & Peter running to the Tomb after Mary alerted them. I love all his paintings, its hard to choose sometimes between them.

John 20:2-4 2
By James J. Tissot

https://www.wikiart.org/en/james-tissot

I will read and be back, it has been a long week, my chart is highly activated by transits right now. Mercury Libra 24 is square all that Capricorn shiznic, I am thinking, I should reread all I post, before I hit send. Anyway, I am making supper, it is snowing here. :andy: Have a good night my friend. I do not know Tissot, I will look him up, and enjoy through your eyes. Thanks, Later, Opal

leomoon

Sharing this, found today:

This synogogue named Ben Ezra, is very old, and part of the Coptic Cairo area. It's a 3 D Video:

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=9...cUnsQc53ypN8SiSzM3rndYWpFNcn0R1wWD4kpxttfHGac

Within this same area in walking distance just a few feet away,and on the same street; is a church that is quite ancient, but recently renovated I saw, (when we were last there, it was not renovated yet, but they had the scaffolding up) ..The church was built atop the basement where it was believed Jesus stayed as a child with his parents until Joseph had the dream it was safe to return to Palestine, which they did, settling in Nazareth, the childhood home of Mary. It was told to us, that the basement area was flooded from the Nile river (although it doesn't appear to be close to it now), - but water seepage from the Nile is quite prevalent within the whole of old Cairo, even near the Pyramids.

This is the Cave Where He Stayed (Cairo, Egypt). This is the tiny well where the Holy Family used to get their water. The Church of Saints Sergius and Bacchus is inside the Coptic compound in Cairo.

http://www.coptic-cairo.com/oldcairo/church/sarga/sarga.html

According to a biblical narration by evangelist Matthew (Chapter 2), Virgin Mary, Joseph and the baby Jesus fled from Palestine to Egypt out of fear from the persecution of the Jewish King Herod the Great. The Holy Family traveled as far as Assiut (“Deir el Muharraq”) and on their way back home spent some weeks in Old Cairo.

Abu Sarga is dedicated to the two Saints Sergius and Bacchus who served as soldiers in the Roman Army. They were faithful followers of the Lord Jesus and refused to worship the Roman gods. For their Christian belief, Sergius and Bacchus eventually suffered martyrdom in Syria in 296 during the reign of the Roman Emperor Maximinus. Their relics are partly kept in Abu Sarga and others are buried in Syria.

From the 9th to the 12th century, significant patriarchs were elected and several bishops consecrated in Abu Sarga until the 11th century. Although the church was restored several times (11th and 17th century, the last restoration was undertaken in 2000), it still preserves its Medieval charm.

https://goodquestionblog.com/2017/01/02/where-did-jesus-live-in-egypt/

https://goodquestionblog.com/2014/07/10/how-long-did-jesus-live-in-egypt/

petosiris

Banned
Do you celebrate Easter, Peto? If so, then happy Easter!

I wouldn't use that word for the Pascha, because apparently it might be related to a foreign goddess.

I don't really follow days - Col. 2:16, but if I were to, I would be a Quartodeciman. :smile:

''All these observed the fourteenth day of the passover according to the Gospel, deviating in no respect, but following the rule of faith. And I also, Polycrates, the least of you all, do according to the tradition of my relatives, some of whom I have closely followed. For seven of my relatives were bishops; and I am the eighth. And my relatives always observed the day when the people put away the leaven.'' - http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/250105.htm