Defensiveness in a Natal Chart

applesandlilacs

Salutations,

What are some of the placements in a natal chart that could indicate defensiveness. I know Mars◼️Pluto, and Mars in ♋. Thank-you for any and all info.

Blessing.
Amber

mahaira

It is a very complex question because defensiveness is a complex form of behavior caused by different triggers and manifested in different ways.

If I understood correctly, you are interested in defensiveness which is defined as:
- the quality of being anxious to challenge or avoid criticism;
- too quick to protect yourself from being criticized;
- acting to ward off their having to experience some unwanted feeling or admit responsibility for some disowned act.

Outwardly, it usually as lack of accountability and tendency to avoid consequences.

But the inner mechanism is actually a very pronounced sensibility to comments people prone to defensiveness perceive as (negative) criticism.

However, these mechanisms I just mentioned can also CAUSE the defensiveness in other people.

People who grew up with demanding parents tend to be very sensitive to criticism and may be closed to the idea of discussion, thus acting defensively. So, if there are any indicators that a native might have had perfectionist and appearance obsessed parents, this could be a good reason to assume that he might have developed certain defensive mechanisms.

Traditionally, family we come from is represented by the 4th house, the Sun is the father and Moon the mother. The modern astrology connected the father to the 4th house and the mother to the 10th. So their rulers should be carefully examined.

Defensive behaviors might surface as the consequence of certain relationships too. So when a native gets in touch with manipulative and controlling individuals or overly critical people he might show defensive traits.

Same goes when dealing with people who never accept their responsibility and shift blame or when dealing with people who have binary way of thinking and who are, of course, always right. Having family members, colleagues or friends who purposefully hide certain information may also provoke defensive behaviors.

Defensiveness is about relationships and depending on their nature, the reasons and manifestations can be different.

Relationships with siblings and neighbors are represented by the 3rd house, with partners by the 7th, your friends by the 11th, colleagues by the 6th… so when looking for possible defensive behaviors, one should take into account these houses and their rulers.

So it is difficult to single out a couple of aspects and say that they are indicators of defensiveness.

I’ve met people who have difficult placements of Pluto (7th house affecting their partnerships and the way they relate to others, always feeling “under attack”) forming stressful aspects with other planets (opposition Jupiter, conjunction Mercury affecting their values and reasoning) who are always blaming others and are practically impossible to talk to reasonably.

I’ve also seen people with pronounced victim psychology in their charts, who seem more passive than the previous example, but they are very sensitive, stubborn and close-minded. Their Pisces and Neptune are very pronounced, clouding their reasoning, making them highly sensitive.

I would say that defensiveness rises from severe sensitivity to criticism, perfectionism and in some cases clouded judgment. But it is mostly a question of one’s ego being hurt than their inability to clearly see the situation.

Hope this helps.

Frisiangal

Setting up a castle wall and around one'self 'to serve and protect' as a defence against outer actions, deeds, thoughts and feelings.
Capricorn influence and its representative in life, Saturn.

Meluzina

I'll add just a little observation I've read about, 3th house is a house of the state of your consciousness but it is also a house that tells about how you interpret (translate into mind) your environment and which stimuli do you pay attention and which not. So, for example, let's say you have virgo third house, you expect other people to be critical and looking for mistakes, so if it' connected to lower self-confidence (depends on other placements) it can make you defensive. Mars or Aries there could make you feel like there are agressive stimuli around you. And so on.

applesandlilacs

Thank-you for all the replies. The houses help. I had a feeling that Mars, Saturn, and Pluto would be mentioned, but I was surprised no one said anything about moon aspects or placements. Isn't it all so fascinating, it's like one of those animated flip booked.

Also, I find people can be defensiveness when they assume someone won't understand them.

Hkk

Account Closed
Thank-you for all the replies. The houses help. I had a feeling that Mars, Saturn, and Pluto would be mentioned, but I was surprised no one said anything about moon aspects or placements. Isn't it all so fascinating, it's like one of those animated flip booked.

Also, I find people can be defensiveness when they assume someone won't understand them.

Your right.... the moon! Very sensitive and strong moon/cancer can get defensive.