Ah! Too much!

starlink

Froggy, you are right, it is a whole spiderweb if you think of it. The secret (for me at least) is to keep it very very simple. Dont go too much into detail. Only look (at least in the beginning until you feel more sure of yourself) at the major planets and aspects in your natal chart, only look at Sun, Moon, Asc., and their rulers when looking for personal or emotional change and if you want to know about career, only look at the MC and the ruler of the MC. For illness, only the 6th house ruler, the Sun (because he represents the life force) and Ascendant (physical body). Just forget about all the nitty gritty half this or semi that, points, chiron, lillith, you name it. Not necessary. You can get an enormous amount of info by just looking at Sun, Moon, Asc. and their rulers. If you want to know why you are feeling so unfocussed, just look what is happening to your Mercury or ruler of your 3rd house. Any Neptune transits? Mercury by progression maybe aspecting Neptune? things like that.
Or if you see a transit forming, then imagine what it could do to you. Best thing is to write down what you feel, the ups and downs you had so you will know what to expect the next time around:)

Now transits to natal is fairly easy of course. Look specifically at aspects which repeat themselves. Take for ex. a natal Mars-Venus square. If transiting Mars goes over that Mars or Venus, you can expect a problem in the love department for a couple of weeks. Same if trans. Venus transits over one of the two planets. It will be better than Mars of course. Expect a few weeks of less problems in the relationship, especially if Venus transits Mars. If you have a Venus-Pluto aspect and transiting Pluto goes over one of the two,(I mean either by conjunction, or any other aspect) then expect a long period of slow transformation.

Progressions can be read by themselves (progressed to progressed) like a natal chart.
It shows in how far you have psychologically progressed over time, the changes you went through, the person you are now versus the person you were a couple of years ago.

Often a progressed chart later in life shows far more how a person is by then, than his or her natal chart.(unless they refused change totally). This is of course because natal planets do change signs sooner or later and their new background (sign) will colour their expression. (this is one of the things you do have to notice of course, very important. Also if retrograde planets, by progression have become direct and vice versa!). Progressed planets will also conjunct, square, trine, sextile or oppose natal planets. Heavy and slowmoving planets are the one's to really look out for. Mercury, Mars and Venus move fast and their influence only lasts for about a month or so unless they go retrograde, then it can take up to about 3 month.

When your Venus has been in Capricorn at birth up till you were 16 lets say, and then changes into Aquarius, you can expect of course a change in attitude and love expressions. You go from being shy, loyal and careful in love towards being a bit more innovative, trying out other boys or girls (I mean generally speaking for all) instead of staying with only one, you would probably become a bit more experimental. Nevertheless, the underlying natal Capricorn tendencies will always be there, you just are not that "stiff" and conservative anymore.

Then compare the progressed planets to the natal positions as well. Again, especially note if natal aspects are being hit by progressed planets (like a progressed planet (say Mercury) is going over natal Mercury, re-inforcing natal Mercuries energies.)

Transits to progressions I would handle just like transits to natal to start with. After all, the progressed chart is how you are NOW and transits going over your progr. planets also show how you get influenced by them.

It is very difficult to get a good overall picture, even for me after so many years, but somehow, you learn to leave the unimportant things aside.
Be systematic and dont try to look at everything. That will drive you crazy.

A good way of doing it is asking yourself questions and only look at the significators. "What are my financial prospects". 2nd house, ruler of the 2nd.
aspects to the ruler of the 2nd. Planets in the 2nd.(natal impression first).

Which slow moving planets are going to form an aspect with either one of them.(transits) So you get a bit of the feel of what is going on or what you can expect.

Then look where the progressed 2nd house ruler is now, which house, which aspects is he making. Any transits hitting him in the progressed chart as well?

Look at the progressed Moon, always, to see what could happen to you emotionally. Will you be very upset about that Saturn transit over your 2nd house ruler? Look at the Moon's aspects and transits to your Moon for that moment as well.
How will you deal with the difficulties? Look what your Progr. Sun is doing, her aspects.
Will it make me angry? Have a look what Mars is doing by progression and if he is being transited by a planet at the same time.

Bring a little discussion into your head. It is also a very intuitive thing, all this combining and you probably will feel better what the aspects are telling you.
Be patient. It needs a lot of doing and doing and doing.

Hope I explained it a bit. I am not very good at writing, but hope it is a bit understandable for you. Other astrologers might have other techniques and hopefully some of them will also come into this discussion.

Cheers, Starlink

Last edited:

BobZemco

Froggy said:
Transits to natal...
Progressions to natal...
Progressions to progressions...
Transits to progressions...

There is SO MUCH going on at once, my brain cannot process it all. How do you guys do it????
I was going to write all of them down but I think there are too many aspects, and even if I made a list I still wouldn't be able to make sense of it.

What do you guys do to get the whole picture without melting your brain?
You just do it one step at a time.

Progressions are your life's themes. These are areas that you focus on for most of your life, and that's why it's so important to understand the houses and how the planets operate in those houses under the signs of those houses.

You should only have to do progressions once or twice in your whole life to know everything you need to know.

With progressions, your pay attention to the inner planets, the Sun, Mercury, Venus and Mars as they move the fastest.

Your Sun will progress 2 maybe 3 or 4 houses during your life. From the 4th House, your focus will be home/family matters, then as it progresses into the 5th House, 5th house matters like romance, children, creativity, then on into the 6th House where your focus will be the daily routine, although public service isn't out of the question. Surely you know of people who got married etc etc then after the kids were gone and their careers winding down they join the Peace Corps or become political activists etc.

From the 10th, the focus is on Ego, reputation etc, then shifts to groups and organizations, then later in life they're alone as the Sun moves into the 12th.

Mercury is your reasoning, intellect and mental and creative ability. Not being very far from the Sun, it will mostly be involved in the same themes as the Sun. You do the same for Venus and Mars.

There isn't any software that really does progressions as I look to do them, so I use an ephemeris.

Your main concern is when do the progressed planets change houses and signs, and for Mercury, Venus and Mars, when do they go retro/direct. It's possible, but not likely that Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto will go direct and even less likely they will change signs/houses, unless they're really close to a house cusp or later in the sign.

For example the Sun entering the 8th or changing signs in the 8th can represent death (of you or a loved one), or a change in your financial situation (through marriage, divorce or inheritance), job (handling/managing other's money), tax problems, or in my case, an extreme interest in astrology (the occult).

A progressed planet changing station and conjuncting a natal, progressed or transiting planet is a significant event.

These "events" can manifest themselves as emotional, mental or physical events. An example of an emotional event, progressed Moon conjunct Ascendant while transiting Venus conjuncts the progressed Moon and Ascendant was marriage for me. A mental event might be an interest in astrology, other occult matters, education or change in philosophy or a sudden burst of creative ability. A physical event could be death, accident/injury/illness, relocating, marriage, and a host of other things. Planets conjuncting the 9th House cusp, changing signs in the 9th or stations in the 9th could be publishing a book, getting sued in court, other legal matters like divorce, educational or philosophical matters, traveling or relocating to a distant country, and other 9th House things.

For orbs, 1° max for Ptolemaic aspects, 30' of arc for minors (like quincunx, semi-sextile or semi-square). If you've nothing but time on your hands and nothing better to do, sure indulge yourself and over-analyze your progressions to death looking at a host of minor irrelevant aspects if you want. Okay, so you've discovered that you're on a higher mental plane with this minor aspect during a certain period. Whoop-dee-doo-diddly. Unless you're a dolt, you'd probably realize that anyway.

For progressed aspects to natal, it's really important to have your aspect delineation down. If you're going to view all oppositions as "conflicts" then you're going to be dazed and confused. Oppositions can also mean balance, not like the harmony in a trine, but more like acceptance or even resignation.

It might be an issue with a parent, child, other person, your job, career, life or whatever where you achieve a balance, you've come to terms with it and can accept it and it no longer grates on you. You see this sometimes with a sesquisquare that just grates on you and then eventually it moves to an opposition, and you have balance or cooperation.

Once you get your progressions down, you can look at transits to progressions for the timing of events and for a clarification on what is actually happening. You're always looking at the house/sign of the transiting planet and reading it through the aspect plus the house(s) it rules natally, naturally and progressed.

I use a spread sheet to record the date and type of progressed events, but you can use a word processor or just write it out by hand on a legal pad if you want, whatever works for you.