My thoughts on 7th house as other person....

freedomlover

I've been using 7th house as indicator for "the other person" in horaries, as so many advocate. However, it keeps bugging me that 7th house is for partnerships- to which both people agree to be a part of. So... wouldn't 5th house be more of a significator for someone you are interested in - who has caught your eye, who you are in love with, dating, BUT who has not yet agreed to be your partner? And would 11th house not be a better significator for one who is your friend, equal, but not yet your partner?

I know this is a hot topic, as so many advocate 7th house for all "other person" horaries.... and psychologically... I always see the dynamics of a realtionship this way.... BUT.... it just does not seem to fit according to my understanding of horary rules according to the nature of your relationship to the person -- too generic.

Any thoughts?

Niplan

Banned
Technicaly by being in a position where they are both involved in a situation is enough consent because its partnerships in general not just weddings, any kind of contract or agreement.

freedomlover

Technicaly by being in a position where they are both involved in a situation is enough consent because its partnerships in general not just weddings, any kind of contract or agreement.

I can see what you're saying... Well, maybe it's my Mercury being squared by Uranus/Pluto in Virgo that likes to have something more exact, and not so generic?:sideways:

archergirl

The 5th house is generally saved for 'activities' rather than the person, FL: so, anything having to do with sex or pleasure or dating or whatever is a 5th house matter. The person is the 7th, however.

Having said that, I have seen some horaries interpreted well, using the 5th for the person instead of the 7th, so I'll reserve final judgement on this until I have absolute proof that it doesn't work. However, in ALL traditional texts, the 7th is the only house used for person-to-person partnerships of any sort, whether they be lovers or mortal enemies.

AG:)

freedomlover

The 5th house is generally saved for 'activities' rather than the person, FL: so, anything having to do with sex or pleasure or dating or whatever is a 5th house matter. The person is the 7th, however.

Having said that, I have seen some horaries interpreted well, using the 5th for the person instead of the 7th, so I'll reserve final judgement on this until I have absolute proof that it doesn't work. However, in ALL traditional texts, the 7th is the only house used for person-to-person partnerships of any sort, whether they be lovers or mortal enemies.

Hey ArcherGirl! Long time, no see!:cool:

Yeah, like I said, I know this is the status quo - and I have used it with reasonable success. And I do see the rationale that "all" people are "the other person".

However, what if it is your neighbor? your uncle? your child? How come children are 5th house, instead of "other person", then?

It seems to me that I remember happening upon some horary education sites on the net that had lists of who was assigned to which house.
( Didn't save them, though, at the time wasn't that into horary)

Plus, several forum members over the past few years have interpreted the charts using specific houses. (Probably what you are referring to). I especially remember one Sorehearted did for me back in '06. At that time, Sorehearted was considered one of the resident experts on horary on this forum. ( Haven't seen her on here in quite awhile - miss her)

So, with all that said.... I'm not saying that 7th house does not work - for it obviously does. But I would like to hear more from people who use specific houses, their reasons for doing so, and their success rate with it.
Just to hear "the other side of it". (God! I'm turning into a Libra lately!:sideways:)

archergirl

The 7th house should be used for 'general' people for whom you cannot assign another specific house:

3rd house: sibling, neighbour
5th house: child (because your child is not, relatively speaking, your equal, but a product of procreation, which is 5th house)
11th house: close friends
10th house: your boss, your superior, the King or Queen, your mother
4th house: your father

The 7th house is opposite the 1st: you. So the 7th is used for your 'opposite number', regardless of gender; it is used for business partnerships (because they are ostensibly equal) as well as for enemies (because you mark them as your equal, to paraphrase Harry Potter).

freedomlover

The 7th house should be used for 'general' people for whom you cannot assign another specific house:

3rd house: sibling, neighbour
5th house: child (because your child is not, relatively speaking, your equal, but a product of procreation, which is 5th house)
11th house: close friends
10th house: your boss, your superior, the King or Queen, your mother
4th house: your father

The 7th house is opposite the 1st: you. So the 7th is used for your 'opposite number', regardless of gender; it is used for business partnerships (because they are ostensibly equal) as well as for enemies (because you mark them as your equal, to paraphrase Harry Potter).

Thanks for the run-down. Yes, using it for "any other person not already described to a house" makes a bit more sense. Some tend to overuse the 7th for any other person.

Loved the Harry Potter quote, btw.:wink:

However, my point of contention is in the "partnership" thing. So many people I've seen in horaries ( myself, included) when asking about a possible relationship - NOT someone we're already dating and in a relationship with - but a possiblity, or someone we've only been on casual dates with - but no commitment as "steady dating", engagement, or marriage - any of which would constitute a partnership. I still see 5th house ( a person you are enamoured with, but only dating, or hope to date) OR 11th house ( close friends, as you say).

Not arguing that 7th house does not work, but just that the more specific houses seems to be more fitting - at least, in theory. Don't know of any more specific house for an open enemy, though....:unsure:

FL