Clinical or Criminal Psychology?

LovelyNomad7

Hello,

I am having a huge dilemma right now. I finally moved from my parents house last fall to do a leveling program in communication sciences and disorders. My bachelor's is in Spanish Translation and Interpreting. I never really wanted to go that route it was just the quickest way for me to finish school since I still didn't know what I wanted to do. For a while I've thought about either becoming a speech language pathologist or a clinical or criminal psychologist. I decided on SLP because I though it sounds liek fun. It's in great demand, etc. After the first semester of the program I felt like I didn't feel the same way about it. I realize that I don't feel passionate. I feel like I should be going the psychology route because it's what I do. I'm a people watcher. I've always analyzed people since I was little. I feel like I was destined to do that. It was my original thought after high school and the only reason I didn't pursue it in the first place was because of my mother. Now that I've lived away from home for a while I've had time to come up with my own plans and I can definitely see myself doing either clinical or criminal psychology (I still have some time to decide)... Can someone give me advice? What does my chart say?! I appreciate yalls thoughts and opinions :)

Attachments

• astro_w2at_02_ana_s_hp.6163.7357anon.gif
    astro_w2at_02_ana_s_hp.6163.7357anon.gif
    68.1 KB · Views: 32

Claire19

As I have said before I believe criminal psychology is better suited, forensics perhaps and the investigation of the hidden and secret.

:wink:

Zarathu

Account Closed
Don't need no stinkin' astrology(this from a professional astrologer) to advise you on this question.

You can get a job anywhere you want for the foreseeable future in speech pathology, especially in public school. Schools are hiring them away from places as far as 15 states away. Clinical psychologists at the Masters level(and even at the PhD level) are a dime a dozen and can't get work, and when they can their salaries are dirt, and there is no hankering from anyone for criminal psychologists anywhere.

Go for the one you can get paid for and pay off your schooling loans. You can always change to something else, but you will have an extremely marketable occupation to fall back on.

Besides, there is a lot of forensic kind of thing in figuring what is wrong with the language and speech patterns and working on solutions for it. You can bring in the elements of that if you need to do so. In the public school setting there is a great deal of need for figuring out issues that a language oriented and not specifically speech patterns such as stuttering. Speech pathologists are moving into areas of autism and Asperger syndrome and many new areas that are distinctly detective in the nature of human development.

Last edited:

Vista

When I first looked at your chart I thought Criminal Investigation. I like Zarathu's advice, the country is changing and take it from somethone who knows and it didn't prepare, get a career going that is marketable and something you can always fall back on. You can follow your passion as a hobby but pay your bills with the job that is in demand. Your Gemini Moon should go a long way towards a speech language pathologist.

Hello,

I am having a huge dilemma right now. I finally moved from my parents house last fall to do a leveling program in communication sciences and disorders. My bachelor's is in Spanish Translation and Interpreting. I never really wanted to go that route it was just the quickest way for me to finish school since I still didn't know what I wanted to do. For a while I've thought about either becoming a speech language pathologist or a clinical or criminal psychologist. I decided on SLP because I though it sounds liek fun. It's in great demand, etc. After the first semester of the program I felt like I didn't feel the same way about it. I realize that I don't feel passionate. I feel like I should be going the psychology route because it's what I do. I'm a people watcher. I've always analyzed people since I was little. I feel like I was destined to do that. It was my original thought after high school and the only reason I didn't pursue it in the first place was because of my mother. Now that I've lived away from home for a while I've had time to come up with my own plans and I can definitely see myself doing either clinical or criminal psychology (I still have some time to decide)... Can someone give me advice? What does my chart say?! I appreciate yalls thoughts and opinions :)

LovelyNomad7

Thank you all for responding! I appreciate it.

Chris, I agree I do believe that Criminal psychology or something in that area is what I ultimately want to do.

Zarathu I know. You are right. I still have some time to decide. I am finishing this program in May and will work as an Assistant Speech Language Pathologist for a year or two before I decide what my next step will be. Perhaps I will continue and do the Master's in Speech Language Pathology and then get a PhD. in Criminal Psychology or something. Ultimately money will be an issue but fortunately I will have tuition paid for until I am 25 so perhaps I will take undergrad psych courses and receive a second bachelor's in that. But you are definitely right in that there is a high demand for SLPs. I will think this through!

Vista, I completely agree! I will definitely keep that in mind :)

Zarathu

Account Closed
......I am 25 so perhaps I will take undergrad psych courses and receive a second bachelor's in that. But you are definitely right in that there is a high demand for SLPs.....

One more item: If you can avoid it, try to limit yourself to the one Bachelor's degree, and take all your additional training as graduate degrees. An MEd or MS is worth way way more than an additional BS. If you have to take some background courses before entering a Master's program do that.

The voice of experience talking....

Z

LovelyNomad7

Zarathu, I am currently in a program obtaining the prerequisites in order to be eligible to apply for a Master's in Speech Language Pathology. This will allow me to be eligible to take the state licensure examination over the summer so that I can work as an SLPA for a while. Do you think I should perhaps get two Master's or how should I go about obtaining the background work for both psychology and speech language pathology?

Zarathu

Account Closed
Zarathu, I am currently in a program obtaining the prerequisites in order to be eligible to apply for a Master's in Speech Language Pathology. This will allow me to be eligible to take the state licensure examination over the summer so that I can work as an SLPA for a while. Do you think I should perhaps get two Master's or how should I go about obtaining the background work for both psychology and speech language pathology?

You were talking about a second BA in psych at some point. I was suggesting that if you could avoid it, that you find a program that would allow you to go directly to a Masters in psych. I know a lot of people in fields like El Ed who went forward from to a Masters in some kind of psychology, even Counselor Education(which at the k-6 level is essentially an MS in Counseling Psychology). What I'm saying is that if there is a more worthless degree than a BA in psych, I don't know what it is, other than those degrees in some kind of "studies". My daughter has one is "peace and global studies". Yeah that's even more useless than psychology.

Zuri

I'm probably in the minority here. I think that an individual should go with (1) what he/she is going at doing **AND** (2) has a strong passion for, and the money will come to him/her because they're doing their genuine life purpose via maximizing their skill set. I've seen far too many people doing jobs that they hate and they're miserable as hell, even though it pays their bills.

Now, what does your chart say about what will most fulfill you? I'm not a professional astrologer, but here's what I see in your chart:

MC in Sagittarius = philosophical-oriented career. More than 1 vocation is possible

Dispositorship chain: Jupiter(-Chiron)10(4).Peregine Moon5(3). loop Mercury3,4(8) = Career involving communicating/teaching (3,5) alternative healing methodologies (8) related to the home/families/heritage (4), as a means of healing & helping others' wounds (Chiron). Has a need-reward to protect and care for others (Jupiter in Cancer)

MC ruler Jupiter-Chiron(4) contacts Uranus12(10), within orb = Above-mentioned work involves a large public institution, in some capacity to innovate structures (Uranus in Capricorn)

Scorpio stellium in 8th, contacting Jupiter-Chiron in 4th = reinforces role of alternative healing methodologies (8) related to the home/families/heritage (4), as a means of healing & helping others' wounds (Jupiter-Chiron in 4)

Reigning emotional need: Peregrine Moon5(3) in Gemini = Needs to be seen as informed and interesting (Gemini Moon) while communicating/teaching (3,5) subjects to others

Node=Sun/Moon midpoint = large public outreach
Moon=Jupiter/Pluto midpoint = big success, via working with public
AP=Jupiter/Pluto midpoint = big success, projected to others
MC=Mercury/Jupiter = career success involving communications

MC=Sun/Venus + MC=Mercury/Venus + MC=Mercury/Uranus midpoints = artistic career, involving innovative thinking & communications

Pluto Oriental chart = big on allying with power & prestige

STOP

You will be most fulfilled in a philosophically-oriented vocation that enables you to protect and heal others' wounds, by communicating/teaching innovative alternative healing methodologies related to the home/families/heritage. More than 1 vocation is suggested in your profile, but you'll likely work in a large public institution that enables you to ally with power brokers/prestigious people and change the institution's status quo. A very successful career working with the public is suggested in your profile.

LovelyNomad7

Whoaaaa... I just realized I put up the wrong chart!

That was the chart I created when I was not sure about my ascendant but now that that is cleared up here is my real chart. I apologize for that.

Attachments

• astro_w2at_02_ana_s_hp.14362.32559.gif
    astro_w2at_02_ana_s_hp.14362.32559.gif
    54.7 KB · Views: 25

LovelyNomad7

Zarathu,

The only reason I'm considering getting a BA in psych is for the background work and to get a better GPA so that I can get into a better grad school. My grades are decent at the moment but when I started college I was a completely different person and I didn't do my best. It's just an option. Nothing is set in stone. I am going to do a lot of thinking before I decide which way I'm going to go. I have a few months to decide. I appreciate your advice though. Thanks everyone!