Sign Signatures for Natal Charts

franklin taylor

Hello,
In making sign signatures, if the mid heaven and ascendant are in one quailty (like fixed) or element (like air) can they be counted as a planet? Do you count Chiron as well. Would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks!
Franklin

wilsontc

Staff member
Midheaven, Ascendant, Nadir, and Descendant are "points

Franklin,

The Midheaven, Ascendant, Nadir, and Descendant are very important "points" in a chart, which indicate a person's outer world, self, inner world, and others. These "points" are created by combining the two halves of the astrological chart: left and right, and top and bottom (for more on this see: http://www.geocities.com/wilsontctc ). These are "points" and not planets because:
- they do not rule any houses in the chart
- they have no energy in themselves, but simply indicate where a person's attention is focused

You CAN use these "points" as an indicator to the sort of planetary energy a person brings to these focuses. For example, if Virgo (ruled by Mercury) modifies the Midheaven (outer world), then the person in the outer world uses their energy in a Mercury way, and you would look to Mercury in the chart to better understand how the person uses Mercury.

Chiron is a different story because it HAS energy, and may also rule one of the 12 houses in the chart. However, since no one yet can agree on WHICH house it rules, it is kind of a "disconnected" planet: very powerful in a chart, and yet it doesn't clearly fit into the house rulership system. For more about the house rulership system, see the above link.

It is simplest if you stick with the 10 planets in doing any "energy analysis" of the astrological chart.

Explaining,

Tim

franklin taylor

Thanks Tim,
I was confirming what I had already thought and had talked to a friend about. I am glad they do not count for my chart would really be contradictive with all three modes being tied in each water sign for my signature sign while I have a Leo sun.
Thanks again.

I have always noticed my sign on the Asc, more than the M.C. However, Saturn is rising in my chart in Virgo. I have a Taurean M.C but I can't relate to it at all, now matter how hard I have tried. The Asc does receive the same score as Sun and Moon, and M.C less. However the M.C sign is more noticeable if planets are in that sign, and conjunct the angle. You would take this into account when looking for sign signatures.

I agree with what Tim was saying on Chiron, it is annoying because we don't have any house ruler-ships for him, he just won't fit nicely in our system - :ninja: he is bit of a loner in these respects, he just doesn't fit in. I never include him in my element or mode count.

In Greek mythology, Chiron or Cheiron ("hand") was held as the superlative centaur among his brethren. Like the satyrs, centaurs were notorious for being overly indulgent drinkers and carousers, given to violence when intoxicated, and generally uncultured delinquents. Chiron, by contrast, was intelligent, civilized and kind. He was known for his knowledge and skill with medicine. According to an archaic myth he was sired by Cronus when he had taken the form of a horse and impregnated the nymph Philyra, Chiron's lineage was different from other centaurs, who were born of sun and raincloud, rendered by Greeks of the Classic period as from the union of the king Ixion, consigned to a fiery wheel, and Nephele ("cloud"), which in the Olympian telling Zeus invented to look like Hera.