Trying to figure out the Nodes

Skillcoil

This thread is part of the "Read My Chart" section. I don't plan on adding more to this topic, so I've edited this to add this message. If anyone would like to discuss their chart and Nodes, they should either make a new thread or comment on a general thread, thanks.

Last edited:

Flowergirl

I'd invest in one of Jan Spiller's books, if I were you.

I can recommend either Cosmic Love or Astrology of the Soul.

all the best

Skillcoil

Thanks Flowergirl, I read parts of Jan Spiller's books on google books and really liked it. Although it gets confusing because I'm not sure how to adjust certain interpretations to fit my SN.

Skillcoil

I've read different interpretations on the Nodes, and with each perspective there are things I could relate to and agree with, and others that I don't. Different aspects of my Nodes seems almost contradicting, but I'd like to figure it out.

Last edited:

Claire19

Thanks Flowergirl, I read parts of Jan Spiller's books on google books and really liked it. Although it gets confusing because I'm not sure how to adjust certain interpretations to fit my SN.
You need to concentrate on your NOrth node really.

There are articles on here that deal with the house positions and the signs of the nodes.

Skillcoil

You need to concentrate on your NOrth node really.

There are articles on here that deal with the house positions and the signs of the nodes.

I agree but my NN is in the 1st house, and in Pisces. With a 1st house NN, descriptions mention emphasizing Aries traits, but it's in Pisces. How do I combine both Aries and Pisces?

1st house NN relates to the self and ego, so I focus on my Sun. It's in Libra and the 8th house, and Venus is in the 7th house, conjunct SN, which is why I'm concentrating on both Nodes. Also Neptune is in the 11th house, square Mercury (which involves Virgo SN) in the 8th house.

sethi

Hello Skillcoil how are you?

Usually in checking someone's horoscope, I usually ignore the north and south nodes. And this has not made much difference to my interpretations.

However if you read up the meaning of the placements of the north nodes etc, then I would suggest you to check up vedic astrology interpretations, as they are clearer then the western one's.

Skillcoil

Hello Sethi :) I'm fine, thank you. How are you?

I will check the interpretations. From what I've read, it has an emphasis of karmic/spirituality (SN) and improving daily life and moving forward (NN). This is my basic understanding of it, is it an accurate interpretation of the Nodes in Vedic astrology?

Horus

So the goal of my NN is to be more individualistic yet focus on less ego and more spirituality?

NN in Pisces, 1st house
Venus in Virgo conjunct SN, 7th house

The interpretations I've read for this is contradicting. Maybe I should be less analytical and just go with the flow but putting together the interpretations doesn't make sense.

Hopefully others could help me understand this. Comments are appreciated, thank you.

My chart

Yes I know that alot of authors combine signs and houses so that NN in the 1st reads like Aries. We just need to get back to basics. The house is the area of life where the node needs to be developed. In this case -yourself, your persona. The sign is the how or the strategy -Pisces- going with the flow, learning to have faith, etc.

The rulers of the NN are Jupiter (traditional) and Neptune (modern). Look at both of them because neither holds "sovereignty", but both have affinity for the sign. These rulers offer clues as to how (and where else) the NN purpose can be achieved. You can also look at Pluto because it's trining or supporting this node.

I have NN in Pisces too so I'll just email you what I've collected on that so far.

The South node is always read negatively-- it's the past-life problem. The North Node is always read positively -it's the solution. Negative Virgo traits must be overcome and evolved (in your dealings with other(s), and positive Piscean traits embraced and actualized within yourself.

Last edited:

Flowergirl

I feel that reading up too much about SN may cause you to want to bash yourself over your weaknesses and put the focus where it is not suppose to be. Look ahead and read about your NN. :smile:

queenfluff

Yes I know that alot of authors combine signs and houses so that NN in the 1st reads like Aries. We just need to get back to basics. The house is the area of life where the node needs to be developed. In this case -yourself, your persona. The sign is the how or the strategy -Pisces- going with the flow, learning to have faith, etc.

The rulers of the NN are Jupiter (traditional) and Neptune (modern). Look at both of them because neither holds "sovereignty", but both have affinity for the sign. These rulers offer clues as to how (and where else) the NN purpose can be achieved. You can also look at Pluto because it's trining or supporting this node.

I have NN in Pisces too so I'll just email you what I've collected on that so far.

The South node is always read negatively-- it's the past-life problem. The North Node is always read positively -it's the solution. Negative Virgo traits must be overcome and evolved (in your dealings with other(s), and positive Piscean traits embraced and actualized within yourself.

Listen to the wise Horus! :) He gave me the best info on this. "There is a reason why you are a Virgo." Very enlighting stuff. Thanks Horus! ;)

Skillcoil, I have the NN Pisces and SN Virgo also (although in different houses than you 4th and 10th). Yeah, basically, you were too "Virgo" in your past life and will tend to lean that way in this life but that is not your purpose this time around. You want to get stop those negative Virgo traits and get some good Pisces ones in your life. (and yeah, its difficult!). I am finding this easier to do in certain areas of life than others -but hey its a process. I find that now that I am aware of this - when I catch myself in a bad Virgo, I can remind myself that this is not what I am to be this time around and to focus on getting that good Pisces in there.

I think it is possible to get the bad Virgo out and still keep the good Virgo in - there are lots of good Virgos traits that are very useful in life. Esp. for me since my SN is in my 10th house and Virgo on MC - I need those good Virgo traits for career/work (when I get some work again that is. :annoyed: )

sethi

Hello Sethi :) I'm fine, thank you. How are you?

I will check the interpretations. From what I've read, it has an emphasis of karmic/spirituality (SN) and improving daily life and moving forward (NN). This is my basic understanding of it, is it an accurate interpretation of the Nodes in Vedic astrology?

Hello skillcoil

I found this on the internet. Might help you

Finding the Head of the Dragon in the 1st house shows that the native will have good luck and will be placed above other men; as the Head being in the 1st obviates the Tail being in the 7th, so the native will be raised up by the Head while his opponents and social equals will be lowered by the Tail. In effect, the scales of life are balanced in favor of the native at the expense of his fellow man. The native can expect to live a fortunate life, and to be strong either in body or in society, or both. But this comes at the expense of his relationships with others; he will have misfortune in romance, it will be difficult for him to find happiness with a partner, and may have many arguments with his spouse. He will also frequently encounter problems in his relationships with business partners and coworkers. His open opponents and enemies will be few, but they will be strong.

Having the Head of the Dragon in the 1st house shows that the native's life is balanced in favor of himself, at the expense of his relationships with others.

Skillcoil

Thank you Horus, NN also squares MC. :( One of the interpretations mentioned having a day job and possibly a Pisces themed hobby, I guess this could help that aspect.

Flowergirl, I'll try to not become too Virgo over my SN lol. I'm still learning about it since Venus conjuncts it.

Queenfluff, thanks for the advice. :) How do you feel about planets in your chart conjunct SN?

I read the article Sethi and Olivia mentioned, is it in whole signs or could it also be applied to placidus?

Olivia

You could use Placidus. The article is mostly from Bonatti and Masha'allah. I'm not entirely convinced that Masha'allah was using whole sign exclusively, though I know he used them for most things, and I know Bonatti used Alchabitius mostly, and whole sign for some things, Lilly I'm pretty sure used Regiomontanus for everything, but use Placidus if it suits you. If it works for you, then stick with it.

It's what everyone else did, after all :)

But you might want to take a look at the whole sign as well as the division - it's easy enough to do. My whole sign nodes are even more grim than my quadrant ones - but they're both true.

Here's the thing - unless you have a miraculous stroke of luck, you're going to find little in the literature, be it traditional or modern, that describes your aspect or planet or node placement to the proverbial 'T'. You've got a planet or planets conjunct a node if I remember right, so that's going to complicate things, too.

Use the delineations as a base to build on.

dr. farr

Also check if there are any stars conjunct or parallel (of declination) with the nodes as well. Regarding the Dragon's Tail, a benefic star in close (2 degree) conjunction or parallel (1.5 degree) with it, can favorably modify (somewhat at least) its infuence.