Why do water signs take romantic love so seriously to the point its a vital need?

Darth MI

Not only are the water signs considered the most romantic of the zodiac, they tend to cling so much to past relationships and even what-ifs for crushes that never came through. And much more. Before I explain specific traits of the signs, I will use myself as an example.

I am dominated by Scorpio as well as dominated by water according to my chart and I have a heavily aspected Venus in Pisces. For years I felt both fear and pain from being alone and somewhat envied my peers who were in a relationship. I felt immense sadness not being in a romance.

Moreso just last year I was really wishing I could go back in time and get into a relationship with some girls who crushed on me or go follow on with that offer to go to prom and I admit I was even crying I was alone. I almost fell into depression.

In fact I notice description of water signs often describe the easy tendency to get hurt incredibly hard not just from being dumped or in a relationshp receiving abuse, but even just one rejection or even being called ugly can literally kill their spirits and even foster thoughts of suicide. Even if a romance ends due to external circumstances out of lovers control such as death from illness or accident, water signs find it hard to move from on a relationship no matter how much the hard reality is the person is DEAD.

Even those who do move on still have a fixated tendency to keep memories of the person right in front of them from many pictures (NOTE MANY PORTRAITS, not just one picture frame in the living room) of said person and times together in the living room to going to work wearing bracelet given to or from a former lover everytime they go to work or outside in public. To even reading notes or watching videos featuring that person's speeches or philosophies or stories as sources of inspiration in hard times. This is true for Cancer specifically.

Its even worse if the relationship was abusive before a divorce or death came with watery personalities all cherrypicking the times when the relationship was good and even trying to convince themselves it was a healthy one and its their fault why its gone awry. This is typically Pisces.

Some may even stalk after their former lovers in an attempt to revive the relationship. To the point of being overly controlling. That if they can't revive the failed relationship, they better as well be dead and commit suicide. This is a typically Scorpio trait.

In fact (especially true for Scorpio) is the tendency for watery people to try to seek out someone they had a crush years ago or even were in a relationship and attempt to revive it (or if it never happened, to finally start it if it never happened years ago).

This is just an overly vast simplification and I'm not going into specifics. I'll just sum it up that in love, watery signs tend to act in a manner matching to proportions of Gone With the Wind, Doctor Zhivago, Titanic, and romance movies and novels in general and indeed they unrealistically expect their romances and marriages to match the course of such movies. And in the case they couldn't find love ones, they very much act in the same vein of angsty emo teen girl who are crying behind their bedrooms their crushes don't care about them or they couldn't get a relationship (the former being true for Scorpio and the latter being true for Pisces).

And I don't just mean Water Suns. I notice people who are dominated by a water sign, water dominant, Water Sign Venus, Water House dominant, and with moon and Venus heavily aspected (I have all of the above) to take romance so **** seriously as I described earlier to the point not being in a relationship makes them feel emo (with specific aspects and placements indicating a possible suicide).

It wil be negated if there is a possible Earth and/or Air placements to contradict it (such as Capricorn and Virgo Venus) and specific aspects and house placements from reading natal charts with life experience to add in for various people have shown me.

What is the reason water takes romance and relationship so ******* seriously like its life or death?

The only reason I no longer ******* care about romance is probably the strong Capricorn influence in my chart along with recent life experiences that made me realize there are far more higher priorities than romance such as trying to retain control of cholestreol!

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Not only are the water signs considered the most romantic of the zodiac, they tend to cling so much to past relationships and even what-ifs for crushes that never came through. And much more. Before I explain specific traits of the signs, I will use myself as an example.

I am dominated by Scorpio as well as dominated by water according to my chart and I have a heavily aspected Venus in Pisces. For years I felt both fear and pain from being alone and somewhat envied my peers who were in a relationship. I felt immense sadness not being in a romance.

Moreso just last year I was really wishing I could go back in time and get into a relationship with some girls who crushed on me or go follow on with that offer to go to prom and I admit I was even crying I was alone. I almost fell into depression.

In fact I notice description of water signs often describe the easy tendency to get hurt incredibly hard not just from being dumped or in a relationshp receiving abuse, but even just one rejection or even being called ugly can literally kill their spirits and even foster thoughts of suicide. Even if a romance ends due to external circumstances out of lovers control such as death from illness or accident, water signs find it hard to move from on a relationship no matter how much the hard reality is the person is DEAD.

Even those who do move on still have a fixated tendency to keep memories of the person right in front of them from many pictures (NOTE MANY PORTRAITS, not just one picture frame in the living room) of said person and times together in the living room to going to work wearing bracelet given to or from a former lover everytime they go to work or outside in public. To even reading notes or watching videos featuring that person's speeches or philosophies or stories as sources of inspiration in hard times. This is true for Cancer specifically.

Its even worse if the relationship was abusive before a divorce or death came with watery personalities all cherrypicking the times when the relationship was good and even trying to convince themselves it was a healthy one and its their fault why its gone awry. This is typically Pisces.

Some may even stalk after their former lovers in an attempt to revive the relationship. To the point of being overly controlling. That if they can't revive the failed relationship, they better as well be dead and commit suicide. This is a typically Scorpio trait.

In fact (especially true for Scorpio) is the tendency for watery people to try to seek out someone they had a crush years ago or even were in a relationship and attempt to revive it (or if it never happened, to finally start it if it never happened years ago).

This is just an overly vast simplification and I'm not going into specifics. I'll just sum it up that in love, watery signs tend to act in a manner matching to proportions of Gone With the Wind, Doctor Zhivago, Titanic, and romance movies and novels in general and indeed they unrealistically expect their romances and marriages to match the course of such movies. And in the case they couldn't find love ones, they very much act in the same vein of angsty emo teen girl who are crying behind their bedrooms their crushes don't care about them or they couldn't get a relationship (the former being true for Scorpio and the latter being true for Pisces).

And I don't just mean Water Suns. I notice people who are dominated by a water sign, water dominant, Water Sign Venus, Water House dominant, and with moon and Venus heavily aspected (I have all of the above) to take romance so **** seriously as I described earlier to the point not being in a relationship makes them feel emo (with specific aspects and placements indicating a possible suicide).

It wil be negated if there is a possible Earth and/or Air placements to contradict it (such as Capricorn and Virgo Venus) and specific aspects and house placements from reading natal charts with life experience to add in for various people have shown me.

What is the reason water takes romance and relationship so ******* seriously like its life or death?

The only reason I no longer ******* care about romance is probably the strong Capricorn influence in my chart along with recent life experiences that made me realize there are far more higher priorities than romance such as trying to retain control of cholestreol!
Clearly, every individual has these needs, therefore to EXCLUDE earth and fire signs is unrealistic :smile:

Keep in mind that

'….After physiological and safety needs are fulfilled,
the third level of human needs is interpersonal
and involves feelings of belongingness.
This need is especially strong in childhood
and can override the need for safety
as witnessed in children who cling to abusive parents.
Deficiencies within this level of Maslow's hierarchy
- due to hospitalism, neglect, shunning, ostracism -
can impact the individual's ability to form and maintain emotionally significant relationships in general
such as:

Friendship
Intimacy
Family

According to Maslow,
humans need to feel a sense of belonging
and acceptance among their social groups
regardless if these groups are large or small....'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

'...For example
some large social groups may include clubs, co-workers, religious groups, professional organizations, sports teams, and gangs.
Some examples of small social connections
include family members, intimate partners, mentors, colleagues, and confidants.
Humans need to love and be loved
- both sexually and non-sexually - by others.
Many people become susceptible to loneliness, social anxiety, and clinical depression
in the absence of this love or belonging element.
This need for belonging may overcome the physiological and security needs,
depending on the strength of the peer pressure.....'

Maslows-Hierarchy-of-Needs.jpg

waybread

I think we'd have to look at your chart to respond to your questions. Water symbolizes emotions, so emotional needs are very important to water signs. Scorpio is a fixed sign ruled by Mars (traditional) and Pluto (modern) so it can get obsessive at times.

But, may I ask, what are you reading? I think as you learn more astrology and read more widely, you will see how it fits together beyond simple delineations of static character traits.

anne3

Banned
I would say with all that water, they need romantic love to not feel like they are drowning. I'm not saying that other signs don't feel the loss of romantic love just as much but I think they can think through or act on the process of lost love more than water signs.

Water goes best with other water or earth, so either someone who can relate to the watery feeling or someone who grounds them/balances them with earth.

jupiterianguru

I have Scorpio sun conjunct Pluto and Cancer moon. I agree I always dreamed of this perfect relationship and wanted for someone. I have plenty of fire though so I dont get depressed or suicidal or really care that much if rejected for a date or whatever the way I see it why waste time if they are not right for me.

I am looking for the romantic kind deep and emotional promethius archetype or at least someone who I can feel secure and nurtured around.

I do dream about an ideal person and remember past relationships and almost relationships though

Flapjacks

I know what you mean, Darth MI. It's not that romantic needs aren't necessary/needed for other elements, just the expectations and manifestation of those needs are different. I agree that water element tends to show more sentimentality and desire for emotional expression in a lot of areas, including love relationships and romance (mostly, I'd think, for Venus/Moon in water signs).

I'm definitely not like that at all. When Titanic came out I was 13, and I didn't get the fuss girls had over it. I've never sighed over posters of celebrities, cared for romantic comedies, or called guys dreamy or required romantic gestures (although I do appreciate gestures of kindness and consideration and like to give them). I did feel romantic loneliness time to time, but not in a sentimental, eye-dripping kind of way... it's always been a sort of practical approach... like "hey, I've been alone for a while. I'm kind of losing touch with reality. Where's a person to corroborate this experience of life with me." I have a lot of Earth in my chart. Virgo Venus and Capricorn Mars and Moon.

miquar

Hi. The watery plane of consciousness corresponds to the feeling function. Strictly speaking, emotions are a fiery phenomenon.

Fire and earth are the more individualistic elements. Air and water have a greater propensity for connecting with others. Air, being a yang element, connects in a way which doesn't restrict freedom of movement. Water, being a yin element, connects in a way which provides a sense of containment.

Watery connections have a personal relevance that airy connections don't. Watery connections touch us where we are vulnerable - like a helpless baby in the on the waters of the womb.

Freud's notion of oral fixation is especially relevant to feeling/water types (Greene: Barriers and Boundaries). Oral fixation is a place of neediness, but watery people can work through oral fixation and reach a place where they are sensitive and capable of intimacy with others, and yet not being dependent on getting a particular feeling response from others. (Orally fixated people may be sensitive to the needs of others, but their preoccupation with their own fears and unmet needs contaminates sensitivity to others to a greater or lesser extent.)

Lotus

I can relate.

I think a lot about relationships even when I am not in one and I have had periods of years of being alone.

I am trying to tap into the positive aspect of my watery chart. I do have a deep desire to be in an intimate relationship and I know it can be my strength but it is tricky to know when I am going into unhealthy behaviour.

I tend to go full on into a dynamic and think about them a lot, or I tend to almost completely avoid relationships. I am trying to accept that I have a human need to relate, and seeing how I can do this in a healthy way.