Mental pictures of the planets

SteveGus

Just for fun, what are your mental images of the planets?

The formula I learned was that 'planets are actors, signs are roles, houses are scenes or sets.' This seemed then and now to act as an open invitation to imagine the planets as people. I still find this easier than imagining signs as people.

The Sun is very traditional, derived from Apollo. Think Robert Redford in his prime, in a toga, with a lyre and a nimbus.

The Moon - Maybe Jennifer Lawrence. With a bow, of course.

Mercury - Somewhere between Bill Nye and Richard Simmons. Skinny and kind of squirrelly.

Venus - A Sophia Loren/Jane Russell figure.

Mars breaks the mold here. The firm image I have of Mars is of Marvin the Martian from Looney Tunes.
300px-Marvin_the_Martian.svg.png

Where's the kaboom? There's supposed to be an Earth-shattering kaboom!

Jupiter is rather conventional, but more the Ghost of Christmas Past than Zeus. Played by an older Orson Welles.

Saturn is utterly conventional Father Time.

For the Enlightenment's three extra malefics, images are a bit freer.

Uranus, to me, looks like Voltaire, an ugly but very witty fellow in a powdered wig and fancy dress.

Neptune is much more conventional; everybody knows what King Neptune looks like. When he isn't being king of the seas, he wears Byronic clothes and a ruffled shirt.

Pluto is a very nervous, thin man in formal dress. Like Peter Lorre, or the Slender Man without the tentacles.

Those are mine; what are yours?

conspiracy theorist

When I think about the planets I don't see them as personas. But I get recurrent pictures when I think of them and then there are colours that I naturally attribute to them all.

Sun is yellow, Moon is gray, Mercury is brown-orange, Venus is pink, Mars is red, Jupiter is the kind of orange you see shaolin monks wear, Saturn is a dark blue/green colour, Uranus is electric blue, Neptune is sea green and Pluto is black.

When I think of Jupiter I see panoramic view of a landmass then panning to different places in the world, Venus I see people staggering out of a bar and singing while inebriated, Mars I see as a male who lives in harsh conditions, has no body fat and hates everything, etc etc etc

JUPITERASC

Just for fun, what are your mental images of the planets?

The formula I learned was that 'planets are actors, signs are roles, houses are scenes or sets.' This seemed then and now to act as an open invitation to imagine the planets as people. I still find this easier than imagining signs as people.

The Sun is very traditional, derived from Apollo. Think Robert Redford in his prime, in a toga, with a lyre and a nimbus.

The Moon - Maybe Jennifer Lawrence. With a bow, of course.

Mercury - Somewhere between Bill Nye and Richard Simmons. Skinny and kind of squirrelly.

Venus - A Sophia Loren/Jane Russell figure.

Mars breaks the mold here. The firm image I have of Mars is of Marvin the Martian from Looney Tunes.
300px-Marvin_the_Martian.svg.png

Where's the kaboom? There's supposed to be an Earth-shattering kaboom!

Jupiter is rather conventional, but more the Ghost of Christmas Past than Zeus. Played by an older Orson Welles.

Saturn is utterly conventional Father Time.

For the Enlightenment's three extra malefics, images are a bit freer.

Uranus, to me, looks like Voltaire, an ugly but very witty fellow in a powdered wig and fancy dress.

Neptune is much more conventional; everybody knows what King Neptune looks like. When he isn't being king of the seas, he wears Byronic clothes and a ruffled shirt.

Pluto is a very nervous, thin man in formal dress. Like Peter Lorre, or the Slender Man without the tentacles.

Those are mine; what are yours?

sun-chariot.jpg

515742836b3d0e6948b700d640344445.jpg

mars-venus.jpg

ares.png

picture-of-zeus.jpg

Chronos-God-Picture-by502.gif