Transits Indicating a Beloved Dog's Death

Arian Maverick

Hello everyone.

I apologize that I have not been as active as I once was on the forums, but I had my senior prom on Friday and am preparing for graduation next week. However, amidst of all this change and business, I have returned due to a personal loss in my family, that of the first pet I ever had--my almost-twelve-year-old black Labrador Retriever, whom my mother took to the veterinarian office this morning and was faced with the painful decision of whether to put her through the trauma of surgery, which the veterinarian thought she was unlikely to survive due to her four arthritic limbs and neck as well as her highly accelerated heart rate, or put her to sleep. My mother chose the latter, for we loved her so much that we could not bear to see her suffer any more than necessary.

I am not seeking condolences from the community; I know I am supported here, and words do not mean much to me now, anyway. However, since I have not yet had the time to come to terms with my beloved dog's death and do not possess the mental clarity needed to examine any transits I am currently undergoing in detail, I would put my Arian pride and independence aside and ask for help. Emotions have always been slippery business with my natal Moon conjunct my Ascendant, but oddly enough, I've always taken news of death pretty well; I knew when I left for school this morning that I would not see her again, although she was displaying some signs of increased health. I accept her decision to leave this plane of existence, and I thank her for her service. However, I still wish to understand how her death fits in with the grander scheme of astrology--possessed with the inner knowing that she would be put down today, I calmly requested that my mother record the moment of her last breath. I do not yet have this information, for my mother left the dog with my uncle so she could pick me up for lunch and tell me the news, yet she told me that she made the same request of him and I hope he remembered. He may not, for even I forgot to check the time in my anxiousness to hear the outcome which I intuitively knew from my mother's lips, yet I think I could create a chart with an accuracy within five minutes of when I first heard the news. This may not be incredibly important to understand transits, but I am appealing to my Virgo South Node to help me cope.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Arian Maverick

Lin

Everyone who has lost a beloved pet feels as you do now. You feel angry, sad, and guilty, as though there should have been some way to change fate. Dogs live between 10 and 20 years, depending upon their breed, genetics and environment. Todays vet costs are incredibly high and makes it almost impossible to garner that additional time you want with your pet, even to just say goodbye.

I had a dog from the time I was 8 till I was 27....when he died I could never again even think of getting another dog, that's how I grieved. So.... since then I've had cats. Yes, it is painful when their time is up... but it's not quite the same thing. Dogs are almost like a child.... understanding what we say and what we feel. Cats keep their distance in some way.

I don't know if you were looking for transits in YOUR chart or in your pet's chart. But since this was a sudden 'wrenching' away, I would look for oppositions, possibly Uranian, or, since this was a childhood pet, 4th house influences by transit. There must be heavy negative transits to at least a few of your personal planets, too. There always are when there's "loss."

I'm sorry for your loss. I know how you feel.
LIN

Arian Maverick

Thanks for your reply, Lin.

Unfortunately, as I did not even know about astrology when I was in first grade, I did not think to ask my parents to ask the breeder of my dog's time of birth, or even the day--although I know she was born some time in October.

I don't know if you were looking for transits in YOUR chart or in your pet's chart. But since this was a sudden 'wrenching' away, I would look for oppositions, possibly Uranian, or, since this was a childhood pet, 4th house influences by transit. There must be heavy negative transits to at least a few of your personal planets, too. There always are when there's "loss."

Retrograde Mercury in Cancer was opposing my natal Saturn-Neptune conjunction in Capricorn at the moment of my dog's death, but this doesn't seem to indicate death to me, although Mercury is currently transiting my fourth house; Mercury also forms a square aspect to my Sun-Venus-Mercury conjunction in Aries. The only other opposition I am aware of is that of retrograde Jupiter transiting my ruling planet Mars. Jupiter rules my ninth house and possibly my first, if I have a Pisces Ascendant, and I believe it is interesting that the eighth house (death) from the sixth (pets and small animals) is the first house cusp--the Ascendant. However, I still do not believe this is adequate proof of a Pisces Ascendant.

Uranus in Pisces also has been squaring my natal Mars in Gemini and will continue to do so for many months yet; the only other "difficult" aspect between my dog's mortal chat and my natal chart was the tight, applying Moon-Venus conjunction in Leo squaring my natal Pluto in Scorpio and quincunx my Saturn-Neptune conjunction in Capricorn.

Here's the synastry of the mortal chart and my natal chart, for anyone who may wish to take a look:

Arian Maverick

flea

Arian,

This touched me deeply. My dog was born Oct 15 1995, so is the same age as your dog. I have seen my friend through cancer and various little benign growths, as he has seen me through some of the most traumatic experiences of my life. I share a deep bond with him. He came into my life when jupiter was in my sun sign of sagittarius, and he has given me so much, and contines to do so.

Saturn in your 6th house tells me something. The 6th house holds sway over pets and small animals (as 12th holds the big animals, maybe archetypal animals too?). Saturn is traditionally linked to death, restriction, and limitation. He always grants gifts as the tests are passed. So that is where I see your story played out. Saturn is trine your sun stellium so it is deeply personally connected to you.

Love & Light
Flea

greybeard

On 3 Dec I shot my best friend and buried him. I felt as though I had betrayed him. But when I looked the chart of that moment, I knew it had been time. My personal MC was exactly on the event Asc. Jupiter, lord of my 6th and natal resident of my 12th, was in the 6th. Sun exactly opposed natal Jupiter, partile. And t. Mars was partile square Jupiter.

And then, the first of this month Chucho died on the kitchen floor while I watched helplessly. Both my best friends gone in three months.

Natural processes, but d**n the tears. We had 15 good years together.

Anyway, nothing happens in this universe by chance. What a beautiful mystery.

What my mother told me the last time I saw her alive:
Love is all there is.

StarchaserNancy

When Saturn entered my 6th, all my pets (cats and a dog) became aged and with chronic diseases of various kinds showing up. They all received special txs, foods, meds, SQ fluids, etc. A lot of my time, Saturn, was in caring for them. Saturn was transiting conj. Pluto in my 6th for one period of time, too.
My one cat was dx w/ type 2 Diabetes years earlier though when Jupiter transited my 6th house. He developed problems from the diabetes, DKA and and a corneal ulcer though when Saturn tr 6th. I lost them all as Pluto tr Saturn and opposed the Moon. Moon rules my 4th.

Asbeyer

my cat Mauz died when saturn was in my sixth house, last year 31.01.2022 by the new moon in auqarius. unexpectedly, we played, went to bed together, after two hours Mauz couldn't breathe anymore.. still hurts..

seabby

i lost my bff pet after 15 years. saturn has been in my 5th house aqua/saturn return and as soon as it entered the 6th, pet passed away. i really am not finding much in my chart other than being worried saturn is headed for my sun which is also in my 6th house. uranus is exiting my 8th, pluto entering 5th. i had mercury (5th) venus (8th) and mars (midheaven) all trining

grateful his health was so good for so long.
07/2007 - 02/2023

These are my settings when my dog died on June 1, 2020. The next day I had an assisted abortion at the hospital because the baby did not grow. What happened was really strong.

Attachments

• Captura de Pantalla 2023-06-07 a las 19.56.46.png
    Captura de Pantalla 2023-06-07 a las 19.56.46.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Captura de Pantalla 2023-06-07 a las 19.56.53.png
    Captura de Pantalla 2023-06-07 a las 19.56.53.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 228

Cgrey93

My cat just died recently and I had no 6th house going on, or Saturn in the 6th. I DO natally have Saturn in the 6th house, and am a Virgo moon and rising. Venus is currently retrograde in Leo (I’m a Leo). I never knew my cat’s sun sign but he was a MAJOR foodie so I guessed he must have been a Taurus. Well the day he died the moon was 18 degrees Taurus. Exactly conjunct my midheaven too. He died on 8/8. My birthday was 8/18. He knew those were my lucky numbers. Still can’t get over it, as if he chose that day to die, like on purpose. Makes you wonder if that’s even possible…

Lin

I'm sorry....I have gone thru this so many times over the last 45 years.... it's always heartbreaking....
But...I never had a cat die who was not already very ill....or at least ill ...but I hadn't know it...but they were 15 or over....mostly of kidney issues...which are very common.

Over the past 12 years I had cats die of cancer, brain tumor, diabetes....all of which I knew for from many months ...of symptoms.
The first one was 11....and i was so shocked.
I have had to put too many of them ....all of them..."out of their pain" ...and in the end, ending their suffering and allowing them to die without going thru unknown horrors like wandering away and getting killed by a car or whatever...is actually the last act of love.....
I have one more "outside" cat....who is 17. She has outlived all her fellow outside cats by about 10 years. She's always been fed well and has a warm place to live in the winter. I cannot believe she is still going....still eats and sleeps and moves around the yard like a normal cat. But she never leaves my property. At least not that I know of. But now she looks old....so ....it's coming....but she is the last cat I will name and provide shelter for. I can't do this again.

So you are not alone. All normal people who are animal lovers go thru this.

LIN :confused:

Clarissa

February 2nd 2021, I lost my fur baby Fifi a shih tzu Maltese healthy 9yrs old to a traumatic coyote incident. It changed me forever it ripped my soul apart. I had Pluto conjunct moon transitioning 6th house & also Saturn transiting 6th house in Capricorn. It will take me a lifetime or 2 to ever if any get over from it. It’s been 2yrs easier bt still painful.

Lin

To tell you the truth, I have lost so many pets to old age .....and unexpected disease, that I never looked at my chart at the time of these events....it was too traumatic.
Losing a dog is a nightmare. I have never owned a dog since my childhood Spaniel died at age 19. Somehow cats are less like "children" than dogs.

I don't know where you live, but I live in a pretty safe suburban area which means I can have outside cats (for which I have sleep crates in a protected area...)
But most of my cats have been indoor cats. We only see predatory birds (and certainly no wild animals which eat meat) after major storms ....but I have never lost a pet to another animal.

I have a cousin in Maine who has lost pets to predatory animals..but she lives in a very rural area where there are such animals. She learned over time to keep her animals inside ...esp. dogs as they are very vulnerable ....and not as fast as such animals as wolves and coyotes.

It is beyond sad to lose a pet....in any way. People who truly love animals never get over losing them.

I still mourn a favorite Siamese Cat named "Chopin" ....who died over 20 years ago....and is buried, along with several other cats, in my garden. He died of kidney failure...which is a common disease among older male cats. But at that time I didn't know that...I blamed myself for years that I was so ignorant of these ailments ...thinking I might have extended his life.

We have to just be happy we have the love of these dear pets as long as we do.
LIN

PiscesL22&

Wow just read all of these as I have got into astrology more lately. My cat got run over and killed on Mon - again Saturn trans my 6H sun 🥲 Trying to see what else…. Uranus conjunct my natal Saturn 8H too. So sad 💔

Lin

I'm sorry....always sorry to hear about the death of pets....they are your friends....and yet you can't speak to them and warn them....they can't speak to you and tell you what they need or feel. And then there is the reality that there are "inside" pets and "outside" pets.
If your pet lives inside, it's much safer...but a cat is as happy outside than a dog is....why? Cats are "roamers" and dogs are domesticated...and very very attached to their 'person.' Cats love cuddling too...but then they can be off and disappear overnight if they also go out.

I have always had both inside cats and outside cats. My last cat....as far as naming it and caring for it....having it neutered and getting shots...is an outside cat named Bonnie who has been here at my home....never living inside....for 17 years. Thru snow and hurricane.s...o_O = and even a flood when she and her siblings and cousins jumped onto my shed in my back yard and stayed there all night until the water receded....She is the last of many many cats I have taken responsibility for. And I would keep doing it if I could afford it...but now, it seems, pets are a real luxury. Sad.

Many people abandon cats....if you want another cat try an abandoned one...often they are already neutered....and keep it inside...it will be safer and will not be prone to wandering into traffic. But, you know, they all die eventually......and I still mourn for 3 or 4 of my deceased cats.....especially one....an abandoned seal point Siamese named Chopin........who lived 15 years...and is buried, along with others, in my back yard.
It's heartbreaking....but it's more heartbreaking to think of the millions of pets that never find homes....
keep your heart open.....
LIN