Questions about Sidereal Zodiacs

miquar

Hi. As far as I'm aware, the Lahiri zodiac places the first point of sidereal Libra at Spica, but the Ancient Babylonians placed 29 degrees Virgo at Spica. Is this true, and does anyone know why the Indian government chose the Lahiri zodiac over the original one?

Many thanks. Best wishes,

Miquar

miquar

Hi. Thanks for your reply but I was really looking for a non-esoteric answer.

Is anyone else able to help please?

Best wishes

Miquar

petosiris

Banned
Hi. As far as I'm aware, the Lahiri zodiac places the first point of sidereal Libra at Spica, but the Ancient Babylonians placed 29 degrees Virgo at Spica. Is this true, and does anyone know why the Indian government chose the Lahiri zodiac over the original one?

Many thanks. Best wishes,

Miquar

Yes, the Lahiri is based on an ancient Indian astronomical book called Suryasiddhanta that states that Spica is at the beginning of Libra. Note that the same book states that ζ Piscium is at the end of Pisces, which is incompatible, but both have originated various ayanamsas that can be split into Spica and Revati groups. There is also controversy over whether they used ecliptic or polar projection for fixed star longitudes.

miquar

Hi Inka. Thanks for your responses, but I wasn't asking for that kind of information.

Best wishes,

Miquar