Astrology Book Recommendations

How to be a Great Astrologer - is an excellent book, It's a book on the aspects, and there is a good chapter on the Nodes. The book is precise and I refer to it a lot, when I don't want to sift forever through other books. He analyzes the aspects separately.

A quote: [deleted overly long quote in violation of forum rules - Moderator]....

Archetypes of the Zodiac - by Kathleen Burt - Offers a broader understanding of the signs, mythology, eastern philosophies, Jungian archetypes. The book has great depth, and it's not what you have read in other books.

A quote : [deleted overly long quote in violation of forum rules - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

LeeRutland

Kudos!

Some very good recommendations here!

But I would put at the top of the list, Liz Greene, anything by her, but especially "Saturn, A New Look At An Old Devil".

More than anyone she coalesced the traditional jargon into a modern, people oriented, psychological view of the mystical and mythical.

Of course Robert Hand, Noel Tyl, Jeff Green and others mentioned have been great in teaching me, but Liz put it all in focus.

Earth Sign

I've already started a thread here on his correspondence course, but I can't recommend this book enough!

Carl Payne Tobey was a little known astrologer who made many significant discoveries in astrology. No one I've found has even so much as heard of him, and I've seldom seen him mentioned in any other astrology books, nor any of his methods.

He is most notable for discoveries like the Leo/Clockwise count to the zodiac, which associates the first house (personality) to Leo, instead of Aries, and counts the opposite direction, ending with Virgo.

He is also responsible for the rediscovery of the Secondary Ascendant, vital to the Secondary Chart.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants a new look at astrology. It includes chapters on the Secondary Chart, Coincidence, Aspects and, of course, every sign and house. He was a user of the equal house system.

Carl Payne Tobey was a mathematician, abstractionist, and scientific mind who approached astrology with skepticism, and was convinced by evidence!

And yes, I originally recommended this book 6 months ago and am only now elaborating on it. Click the link on his name for an interesting biography, and check out Carl Payne Tobey's Correspondence Course FREE online!

Last edited:

spacecadet

Hi,

I'm looking for a very easy to understand, not too technical book on understanding and interpreting progressions. I have a good selection of books but not really anything covering progressions in any depth. One thing I don't want is anything t heavy and technical, or that introduces another 1000 techniques that I am not ready for yet!

I'd value your input as to which of the following books might be most appropriate for me..

The Art Of Predictive Astrology-Carol Rushman
Identifying Planetary Triggers-Teal
Predicting Events With Astrology-Teal
Delineation of Progressions
Progressions by Robert P. Blaschke

Thanks

dr. farr

Try Charles Carter's "Symbolic Directions in Modern Astrology", also the little section on progression in Carter's "The Zodiac and the Soul"

spacecadet

Try Charles Carter's "Symbolic Directions in Modern Astrology", also the little section on progression in Carter's "The Zodiac and the Soul"

Would these books help me understand and interpret progressions - they look quite technical and I am imagining they are not written in the most light hearted of ways but I could be wrong.

Michael

Oskar Adler's "Testament of Astrology" and "Astrology as Occult Science".

Other authors: Dane Rudhyar, Johannes Kepler, Jean Baptiste Morin.

Veronica

1. Steven Arroyo Relationships and Life cycles its god for anyone interested in Progression, Synastry, Transits since he covers those areas.

2. Astrology Transformation & Empowerment by Adrian Ross Duncan A book recommended actually by someone who logs here but its a great book identifying aspect placements on the natal chart and integrating Evolutionary Astrology.

3. Direction & Destiny in the Birthchart ( Howard Sasportas)

4. Relating a Astrological Guide to Living with others on a Small Planet by Liz Greene

5. Relationship Analysis : Astrology a Language of Life by Robert P. Blasche, a really great awesome read on synastry, Composite charts, Progressed charts, incorporates sabian symbols into synastry, and Karmic indicators in synastry for those interested .

6. Love Formulas : By Nance Macullough another great cute book on synastry.

7. Aspects in Astrology : A guide to Understanding Planetary Relationships in your Horoscope. Sue Thompkins.

9. Astrology Karma and Transformation : Steven Arroyo another great book in Astrology really love it.

10. Saturn a New Look @ the Old Devil : Liz Greene Detailed insight on Saturn on the Houses and natal positions of Saturn.

11. Pluto Volume 1 Evolutionary Journey of the Soul by Jeff Green also very good on pluto .

12. Judy hall is has good books as well too .

Anything by Steven Forrest is absolutely brilliant, deep enough for the advanced astrologer and easy enough to read for the beginner. Jeff Green is also excellent, though probably not great for the beginner, but I'm not sure his books are still available.

Athene

A beautiful free e-book collection of astrology related books and non from the autor Michael Erlewine.

http://www.astrologysoftware.com/books/index.asp?orig=

Special attention should be payed at the Astrology's Mirror:Full-phase aspects work, were's the actual diference between the applying and separating aspects fully elaborated. I personally have gone long way in searching a reference that is concentrated on finally explaining this diference, and the fact that this astrologer, who excells in many other aspects of the earthly life, has decided to share his research and legacy for free, i personally find a true blessing :innocent:

Much very interesting and amusing insights you can find in exploring the large aspects patterns, multiple combinations and the visual approach he aligned through his materials, such as in :
Startypes: Life Path Partners: Compatibility Astrology
Interpret Astrology: Three-Way Aspect Patterns
Interpret Astrology: The House Combinations
Interpret Astrology: The Planetary Combinations

I think those works could be of great asset to the very begginers, in providing some perspective thoward more complex issues of interpretation :wink:

Arian Maverick

Thank you for this link, Athene! It's one of the most useful ones I've come across in months...

I may create another thread to discuss particular concepts in Astrology's Mirror:Full-phase aspects with greater depth, but at the moment, I am very confused about "Sun Full-Phase chart" (first appears on page 29) which supposedly separates planets in waxing aspects from planets in waning aspects. I thought I had understood waxing and waning aspects well, having been a student of astrology for five years, but this chart seems counter-intuitive. According to Erlewine's description, the speed of the planet at the moment of birth does not matter to determine waxing or waning aspects; rather, it's the traditional ordering of planets based upon average speed. When I look at Erlewine's natal chart, which he uses as an example throughout the first chapter, Mercury and Pluto are on the same side of the Sun Full-Phase chart chart, and it seems to indicate that both approach a conjunction with the Sun. Yet in the natal chart, Mercury is approaching a conjunction, whereas Pluto has passed it! Why are they on the same side of the chart?

Can you please explain this to me? I fear I won't get very far if I don't understand this chart...

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Athene

Thank you for this link, Athene! It's one of the most useful ones I've come across in months...

I may create another thread to discuss particular concepts in Astrology's Mirror:Full-phase aspects with greater depth, but at the moment, I am very confused about "Sun Full-Phase chart" (first appears on page 29) which supposedly separates planets in waxing aspects from planets in waning aspects. I thought I had understood waxing and waning aspects well, having been a student of astrology for five years, but this chart seems counter-intuitive. According to Erlewine's description, the speed of the planet at the moment of birth does not matter to determine waxing or waning aspects; rather, it's the traditional ordering of planets based upon average speed. When I look at Erlewine's natal chart, which he uses as an example throughout the first chapter, Mercury and Pluto are on the same side of the Sun Full-Phase chart chart, and it seems to indicate that both approach a conjunction with the Sun. Yet in the natal chart, Mercury is approaching a conjunction, whereas Pluto has passed it! Why are they on the same side of the chart?

Can you please explain this to me? I fear I won't get very far if I don't understand this chart...

Arian Maverick
Hi Arian,

i'll expecting your expansion of this topic eagerly ! :love:

I practicly dealt with the same problem, and basicly, out of my habit to reduce on processing txt i estimate by quick look superfluous or irrelevant(some fast reading techniques i apply), i assume you have done the same ? :lol: Here the introduction is puted at good use becouse, his primar domain of expertise are heliocentric charts, and as such, having no house systems as referent points but the aspects and the planet selected as the focal point placed at the top of the 360dgr wheel, he calls the 0dgr point. At the top of page 32 he said :
You can see all the other nine bodies arranged with the same angular separation as in my natal chart, but NOT exactly as they are in my natal chart.
So i assumed he rearanged his natal chart out of illustrative purposes :sideways: Noticeable are two distinctive diferences from his natal situation (on which, btw i think you shoulnt focus now, secundary imo) : he rescheduled his whole planetary configuration with the Sun at the 10th Cusp, again, he calls it the 0dgr point of a full phase aspect analisis, second he rescheduled Pluto Neptune Saturn Uranus and Jupiter, switching their positions in regard the Sun, but retaining the same separational/aplicational dgr(it's all explained in this same chap we're tallking about). I'm not 100%sure, but i think the switch is provisional and within targeted pedagogic purposes.

Further in the analisis, you can se he's using the whole Zodiac wheel as a conceptual coordinate reference in alalyzing the given planetary positions in aspects thoward the focal planet, Sun and he derives their energetic charge and relevance in relation the positions the hold in this derived Zodiac, thoward the focal point-Sun. He's basicly using the aligned Zodiac(houses) wheel holding the aspects as the absolute point of reference and analyzing their internal dynamic in regard the Zodiac(houses) exponents. I dunno if i was clear enough ? You should give yourself time to read in peace this chapter and the pieces should fall at their place. In fact, it does actually require some time to get acquainted with this part of his work :wink: Also, pay attention where he's working with the geocentric, where with the heliocentric charts and you should have no further problems. I hope i was of some help :andy:

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

i'll expecting your expansion of this topic eagerly ! :love:

I've created a new thread E-Book Discussion: Astrology's Mirror:Full-Phase Aspects. I'll see you there! :smile:

I practicly dealt with the same problem, and basicly, out of my habit to reduce on processing txt i estimate by quick look superfluous or irrelevant(some fast reading techniques i apply), i assume you have done the same ? :lol:

This is not an inappropriate guess considering my natal chart's emphasis upon the signs of Aries and Gemini, but believe it or not, I read through every line up to page 48! (I'll admit I attempted to read the "Sweet Sixteen" section explaining the properties of each waxing and waning aspect, but my attention began to waver. I probably will just skim through it, as you suggest, although I know I shouldn't.) Indeed, I reread several sections, but I still cannot grasp this chart!

I posed more specific questions in the thread.

Arian Maverick

Phil

We all have our preferences. Though I have close to 100 books on astrology, some of the ones I peruse most are:

Astro Essentials, Maritha Pottenger
Chart Interpretation Handbook, Stephen Arroyo
Planets in Composite, Robert Hand
Horoscope Symbols, Robert Hand

My own notes. The best thing I find is to write your own notebook, summarizing all the findings in the various books which one finds important.

Claire19

Anything by Liz Greene
Howard Saportas who has sadly passed away left a wonderful legacy of magnificant books on his own & with Liz.
Start with them & you will be amazed.
I agree with this. I would also get a major book on aspects by Robert Pelletier as well as Planets in Houses. Planets in Transit by RObert Hand.
These days you dont need to buy any ephemerides as they can be downloaded on the net but it is a basic table that you will need.
Sometimes you can get them cheaply second hand on EBay.
I have many books but these ones are the staples which I often refer to, to get another perspective. You will develop your own way of doing charts and that is normal.....

It is also my opinion to forget about asteroids and fixed stars and concentrate on the major planets of our solar system and the nodes.
Major aspects also with little emphasis on the minor ones.. Keep a chart as simple and uncluttered as possible and you will get to the nub of any issue. Others may disagree of course...

:biggrin:

Zaphod

I've owned hundreds of astrology books over the years, and have reviewed quite a few.

I currently own only two astrology (physical) books:

"Christian Astrology" by William Lilly (Regulus facsimile edition)
"The Combination of Stellar Influences" by Reinhold Ebertin

I also think they are the best two books for beginners to start with.

These are two solid recommendations. Just a couple of caveats about Lilly: if you can find a facsimile of the 1647 edition (I too have the leather-bound Regulus), be prepared to go blind trying to sort out every "s" from every "f" due to the archaic typeface (at least until you adjust), and anticipate wrestling with the equally archaic language. On the other hand, if you buy a more readable modern reprint I've heard that some of the transcriptions are questionable. On balance, I'd go with the facsimile if you can find it so the content is intact.