Intercepted Signs

I'm sorry if the question doesn't belong here. Despite the fact that I've been learning astrology and know a good amount, I still have so much to learn. And I feel silly asking this, but what are intercepted signs and what do they usually signify? :andy:

Cassiopeia

Hi, today researching on duplicated sings I found this:

“Intercepted Signs: A sign that is completely contained within a house and does not appear on either cusp.
Think of the intercepted sign as a “room within a room”. You enter the house (the stage or area of life) in a certain way only to discover there is a whole other experience there. For example, if you have Aquarius on the 7th house cusp (relationship to others) and Pisces intercepted within the 7th house, you may have an eccentric, unconventional and somewhat spacious approach to partnership (Aquarius) until you really get into one. Then it is like discovering a whole new world where those intellectually defined Aquarian boundaries melt into a sea of divine longing (Pisces). “

Here the source:
https://kimfalconer.wordpress.com/2011/12/04/the-myth-and-magic-of-interceptions/

dowhanawi

They can also be areas that need to he worked on. To unlock the room. Its usually good to look at the planetary rulers of the incepted and duplicate houses.

waybread

There is a big debate about them in astrology. I think planets in intercepted signs have real meaning. It's as though the planet is somehow boxed in, and has difficulty expressing itself as well as we would anticipate. People with the sun in an intercepted sign can have real difficulties in determining what they want to do with their lives, because it's hard to think of a vocation that fits the self when the self has difficulty in gaining traction.

Note that intercepted signs come in pairs of opposite signs. Then you will also see two pairs of "duplicate signs," where the same sign is on two adjacent house cusps.

katydid

The only question or issue that I have with them is that people born in certain regions all have huge numbers of intercepted signs/houses. Thus they have to use equal house systems to have house rulerships make sense.

So my mercury/jupiter opposition questions why it works for some regions and not others.

waybread

Katydid, Placidus and other quadrant house systems can break down for people born at high latitudes, such as Scandinavia. A big problem is their extremely long daytime and night differences between the summer and winter solstices. Above the Arctic Circle, the sun doesn't rise at all at the winter solstice, and it doesn't set on the summer solstice.

Just don't ask me to explain the mathematics behind it. But see: http://www.scribd.com/doc/6495552/An-Astrological-House-Formulary#scribd

katydid

Katydid, Placidus and other quadrant house systems can break down for people born at high latitudes, such as Scandinavia. A big problem is their extremely long daytime and night differences between the summer and winter solstices. Above the Arctic Circle, the sun doesn't rise at all at the winter solstice, and it doesn't set on the summer solstice.

Just don't ask me to explain the mathematics behind it. But see: http://www.scribd.com/doc/6495552/An-Astrological-House-Formulary#scribd

I understand that. And that is exactly my problem with it. I have a lot of Swedish relatives and always did their charts using equal house because otherwise the houses made no sense. So it is hard for me to get behind interceptions because my rational mind can't accept that it would work for most of the charts but would have to be ignored for people in other Northern regions.

I am sure that is a simplistic view on my part. Probably another one of my Mercury/Jupiter fixed oppositions that require an ALL OR NOTHING response. :bandit:

waybread

Sure-- but do we need just one house system for any and all charts. I usually use Placidus, but some horary astrologers prefer Regiomontanus, traditionalists like whole signs, Koch is supposed to be an improvement over Placidus but both get goofy at high latitudes, and so on. Presumably anyone born north of the Arctic Circle today (winter solstice) would have no ascendant because there would be no sun rise.

Hey, nothing's perfect.

Oddity

Katy - try to think of house systems in conceptual terms. I know that you and I use different techniques, but that's not so important, and you're a good astrologer.

For me, for instance, I tend to look at things like triplicity lords in both quadrant and whole sign houses, because the nuances are slightly different. Unlike a lot of traditional astrologers, I do use quadrant houses as a base, but whole sign has its uses, too. Sometimes it gives you that 'a-ha' moment that brings things together.

It's not so much 'one right way', more - a different view of the same thing, turning the picture just a little bit. It's still the same picture, though.