How does Mercury retrograde affect you?

Osamenor

Staff member
I don't think it does affect me. I've read if you have a natal retrograde, it won't really do anything since it's your natural element, but I wasn't sure if that's a pop astrology thing or not. Is that true?
Is it?

The only way to determine if any astrological "fact" is true is to observe and see if you experience it... if the condition for that "fact" (such as having natal Mercury retrograde) applies to you.

In any case, nothing in particular has happened. Not out of the ordinary.
Are you talking about Mercury retrograde periods in general, or about a particular Mercury retrograde?

The next one hasn't officially started yet, although it's less than a week away, so the energy might be turning up.
Someone told me retrograding planets are closer to the Earth, so perhaps we're all given to a little more analysis, curiosity, and conversation, and thus that could lead to confusion and misunderstanding hmmm :alien:
Probably so. And when a planet is closest to Earth, it's brightest in the sky, impossible to miss.

Mercury direct is like a highly competent office manager, who does their job so smoothly and efficiently that everything they provide gets taken for granted. But office management is the kind of job that nobody notices except when it isn't done. Mercury retrograde is when the job gets noticed because it isn't done. If it has any particular effect, that is.

But really, making its job noticeable is also Mercury's job. We can't really afford to be too complacent. We can't really afford to take too much for granted.

So maybe natal Mercury retrograde folks are really more aware of Mercury, all the time.

I don't have natal Mercury retrograde myself, but I have the much rarer Venus retrograde. Which is a whole other subject.

Lykanized

Is it?

The only way to determine if any astrological "fact" is true is to observe and see if you experience it... if the condition for that "fact" (such as having natal Mercury retrograde) applies to you.

Are you talking about Mercury retrograde periods in general, or about a particular Mercury retrograde?
In general. I don't notice anything different. I'd consider myself well attuned to energy, but I never really notice a shift. Then again, maybe I should try keep a journal just for the sake of research

The next one hasn't officially started yet, although it's less than a week away, so the energy might be turning up.
Probably so. And when a planet is closest to Earth, it's brightest in the sky, impossible to miss.

Mercury direct is like a highly competent office manager, who does their job so smoothly and efficiently that everything they provide gets taken for granted. But office management is the kind of job that nobody notices except when it isn't done. Mercury retrograde is when the job gets noticed because it isn't done. If it has any particular effect, that is.

But really, making its job noticeable is also Mercury's job. We can't really afford to be too complacent. We can't really afford to take too much for granted.

So maybe natal Mercury retrograde folks are really more aware of Mercury, all the time.

I don't have natal Mercury retrograde myself, but I have the much rarer Venus retrograde. Which is a whole other subject.
I have my own thoughts on how mercury rx functions, although my perspective may be sullied by the fact my chart is Mercury heavy even without the rx and because it has aspects that make it function in a not so conventional fashion

on that note, I have 5 retrogrades myself and all except Saturn act on my Mercury too LMFAO

I suggest Mercury rx I might liken more to the job getting done much more slowly, but ending up with a novel result, perhaps. Conversely, it could be getting the job done in a novel, unexpected fashion

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
I suggest Mercury rx I might liken more to the job getting done much more slowly, but ending up with a novel result, perhaps. Conversely, it could be getting the job done in a novel, unexpected fashion

That sounds more like Mercury out of bounds. Do you know if yours is?

Retrograde and out of bounds would be an extra wild wild card.

Osamenor

Staff member
First day of this Mercury retrograde: I received a paycheck that had been delayed due to a major miscommunication between employer and their payroll service, and a refund on a service I'd paid for but not received.

Refund time! But it seems that the classic Mercury retrograde stuff actually happened in the preshadow.

Ukpoohbear

I’ve struggled to sleep all week. At first it wasn’t too bad but lastnight I only got 1 hour sleep and it’s now 8:23PM and now I’m crying. I know I’ll fell better after a good nights sleep but all week I haven’t managed to fall asleep at a decent time. Now I’m crying but it’s like a purge.

Osamenor

Staff member
I’ve struggled to sleep all week. At first it wasn’t too bad but lastnight I only got 1 hour sleep and it’s now 8:23PM and now I’m crying. I know I’ll fell better after a good nights sleep but all week I haven’t managed to fall asleep at a decent time. Now I’m crying but it’s like a purge.

What does that have to do with Mercury retrograde? This is a Mercury retrograde thread, and it's on an astrological board, which means all posts must include the relevant astrology.

Ukpoohbear

What does that have to do with Mercury retrograde? This is a Mercury retrograde thread, and it's on an astrological board, which means all posts must include the relevant astrology.

I can’t sleep and it started when Mercury started to station and has gotten progressively worse.

Osamenor

Staff member
I can’t sleep and it started when Mercury started to station and has gotten progressively worse.

Mercury retrograde doesn't cause insomnia. That comes from either what you've been doing or what's going on around you or in your body, or both. Mercury turning retrograde might signal the moment the cause is activated, but that's it. Has Mercury stationed on a sensitive point in your chart? Activating any planets or points?

If you consume caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, and/or other substances, and especially if you've been consuming them more than usual and/or later in the day, that could cause you insomnia. Or extended screen time, especially at night. Or major stress. Or energy work. You probably won't see that last one listed as a cause of insomnia anywhere, but I've had it happen to me, and it got to the point of not being able to sleep more than an hour or two a night. To this day, I sometimes have trouble sleeping after an evening tai chi class. If that's the cause, passionflower tincture is what settles it for me.

david starling

I've always had to be extremely cautious while driving, which I attribute to Mercury Retro in Pisces in my Chart. With this transit, I suggest caution for everyone, and patience regarding traffic jams, detours, and reckless and/or inattentive drivers. Be safe.

Osamenor

Staff member
Osamenor, you don’t associate rumination, extra emphasis on cognition, mental activity, detailed reviews etc. with Mercury retrograde? I do, but have the retro natally.

Not personally. But we're all wired differently. Maybe that is a Mercury retrograde thing for some people.

And rumination can be a cause of insomnia, if it's extreme. I don't know if this is what Ukpoohbear is experiencing, but some people get insomnia because they're thinking too much to sleep. Or manifest insomnia as thoughts. Chicken or egg question.

Ukpoohbear

Mercury retrograde doesn't cause insomnia. That comes from either what you've been doing or what's going on around you or in your body, or both. Mercury turning retrograde might signal the moment the cause is activated, but that's it. Has Mercury stationed on a sensitive point in your chart? Activating any planets or points?

If you consume caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, and/or other substances, and especially if you've been consuming them more than usual and/or later in the day, that could cause you insomnia. Or extended screen time, especially at night. Or major stress. Or energy work. You probably won't see that last one listed as a cause of insomnia anywhere, but I've had it happen to me, and it got to the point of not being able to sleep more than an hour or two a night. To this day, I sometimes have trouble sleeping after an evening tai chi class. If that's the cause, passionflower tincture is what settles it for me.

I’ve had cups of tea earlier in the day but that’s not unusual for me. I hardly smoked at all yesterday but smoking a cigarette just now. I’ve not been smoking weed regularly for a while, last time was last Thursday where I also had alcohol.

I think it’s the energies are very intense. It hasn’t been bad, it’s been productive but meeting a man last Thursday has made me a bit obsessive, he hasn’t been on Facebook all day but was on WhatsApp at 18:20. I’ve tried phoning him. I sent him a message saying I think his disappearance is weird. I’m wondering whether a good night sleep will change my negative perception of him.

I did some energy work to try protect me from what I perceive to be intense universe energy. I briefly imagined light in white blue and gold surrounding me but tbh I usually just let things happen to me and only tried it tonight to try sleep.

I’ve had insomnia before where I stayed up all night even when knackered like I am tonight so I hope I sleep. I don’t really know what to think anymore.

I don’t think Scorpio energy is that important in my chart but it must be. I don’t want to discuss my chart. I don’t really talk about astrology a lot so I probably shouldn’t be on this forum at all but I keep coming back because of mature people to talk to and friends. I don’t know what’s wrong with me but I’m just very tired.

Osamenor

Staff member
I did some energy work to try protect me from what I perceive to be intense universe energy. I briefly imagined light in white blue and gold surrounding me but tbh I usually just let things happen to me and only tried it tonight to try sleep.
I wouldn't expect that level of energy work to cause sleep problems. What I did that gave me insomnia was much more intense.

I’ve had insomnia before where I stayed up all night even when knackered like I am tonight so I hope I sleep. I don’t really know what to think anymore.
Sounds like you tend to get wired tired. Ashwagandha is the herb that comes to mind for that.

I don’t want to discuss my chart.
Your chart is relevant to how Mercury retrograde affects you, or could be. If you don't discuss it, you're at a disadvantage here. Where in your chart Mercury retrograde takes place, which planets and houses it stimulates, play their parts.

Ukpoohbear

I wouldn't expect that level of energy work to cause sleep problems. What I did that gave me insomnia was much more intense.

Sounds like you tend to get wired tired. Ashwagandha is the herb that comes to mind for that.

Your chart is relevant to how Mercury retrograde affects you, or could be. If you don't discuss it, you're at a disadvantage here. Where in your chart Mercury retrograde takes place, which planets and houses it stimulates, play their parts.

Do you get intense energy work from tai-chi?

I think it is wired tired although I haven’t heard that phrase before.

I think the emotions and Scorpio are connected to the 4th house of the jungian subconscious and 5th house of love affairs, which I should have said when describing my situation above because it’s the effect it’s had on me.

Osamenor

Staff member
Do you get intense energy work from tai-chi?.

No, it was an extra intense form of meditation. Not your usual kind. It was taught by my then tai chi teacher, and related, but not exactly the same as tai chi. And I went much farther with it than he advised. In fact, I went against his advice. Hence the trouble. It took over a year of a quieter standing meditation to even begin to sleep normally again. I learned about passion flower later... it helps with the lingering effects. But because I opened myself up in that way, tai chi sometimes brings on that energy.

I think the emotions and Scorpio are connected to the 4th house of the jungian subconscious and 5th house of love affairs, which I should have said when describing my situation above because it’s the effect it’s had on me.
If that's where Scorpio is in your chart, it certainly fits.

Opal

Premium Member
Sometimes they affect me sometimes they don't. This Mercury retrograde is in Scorpio. I will be keeping an eye on what happens, because it will conjunct my Ascendant next week. It will also aspect tightly to natal Mercury, Jupiter and Uranus. Tomorrow about this time it will be 3 degrees from my Ascendant and I am to be giving a speech. I will let you know if anything funky happens.

conspiracy theorist

I'm really paying more attention to the idea that retrogrades are intensifications, an overflowing of the planetary energy. Although this period just began, a lot of things click when you think about the transit in terms of intensity. Like excessive electricital currents travelling through wires to cause a blown fuse.

Mercury is naturally mischievous, it rules over telecommunications, gadgets, electronics, written documents and so forth. A time of greater Mercurial power would crank up everything mercury related. Technological hijinks then is only natural.

As to the developments in my own life. Major telecommunications company has suffered an outage, and I happen to live in one of the areas affected. When I went into the main office, it was even more packed than usual, which made me smile.

Mercury is transiting my 11th house. I had to cancel some arrangements made with some associates due to other engagements, yet the meetings I went to went off successfully and without a hitch. Everyone I cancelled with is understanding and has no trouble with pushing the date back. The members of a group I formulated have also met each other for the first time, and this was also smoothly operated.

I've also heard that the new Microsoft update has caused issues for some people, who lost a lot of work because of how fritzy it was. Seems to be the standard operating procedure for Merc Rx.

After just two days, the complexity of events leads me more toward seeing the transit as intensity over "weakness" or "badness". I'd love for a similar Venus Rx thread to be created to see if we can spot the patterns that occur during that transit.

waybread

One thing to consider is that not every Mercury retrograde is going to be pinging something in one's chart. If you think it affects you, I'd look to see what Mercury retrograde is hitting by transit, solar, arc, progression, &c. Or if you have a natal Mercury retrograde, what is contacting it.

If Mercury retrograde affected everyone all the time, it would be hard to explain so many planes flying on time, successful communications, and all of the other Mercurial things that take place ongoingly in our lives.

dd78

One thing to consider is that not every Mercury retrograde is going to be pinging something in one's chart. If you think it affects you, I'd look to see what Mercury retrograde is hitting by transit, solar, arc, progression, &c. Or if you have a natal Mercury retrograde, what is contacting it.

If Mercury retrograde affected everyone all the time, it would be hard to explain so many planes flying on time, successful communications, and all of the other Mercurial things that take place ongoingly in our lives.

I fully agree!

I`m totally Mercurial person and I have to say that usually TRANSITING Mercury RX doesn`t affect me, unless it is also both active by progressions and transited by another planet.
My natal Mercury is now active by progressions and receiving a transit from Uranus.

This particular Merc rx cycle:
1. I had to buy a new laptop, a new mouse, and accidently disconnected RAM or CPU from motherboard of my PC, which rendered it unusable for a while.

[The issue is hardware- related. It happens to me very often that an electronic device is faulty, has firmware bugs etc. , and in my case Mercury rx doesn`t seem to have anything to do with it.]

2. I made many purchases and I`m totally pleased with them and rather NOT going to return anything etc.. At times I`m surprised by a feature of the new purchase upon opening the box ( I only buy online). BUt in most cases the surprise is pleasant and the purchased goods are actually better than expected. :joyful:

I have transiting Uranus aspecting both my natal Mercury and Virgo Ac, so it may very well contribute to this Uranian coloring.
:smile:

I send and receive a massive amount of emails right now and a bit more phone calls than usual.

3. I decided to review my resume and add a picture to it, because I`ve just been told by yet another person the very same thing: that nobody would even look at a resume without a picture . I have hard time accepting it for many reasons, but it seems that there`s no escaping it. :annoyed:

4. I decided to review my old horary charts and reinterpret them, as I realized that in many cases I simply was unable to read them. :surprised:

Mercury is transiting my 3rd house right now and will be stationary direct within 4 degrees from my natal Sun and Venus.
I`m also about to sign very important documents etc. this month, but not before 19th, so I hope everything would go well, without delays or obstacles. :smile:

waybread

dd78, I don't know the purpose of your resume or where you live, but if it is for most jobs in North America, I would not suggest attaching a picture. In the past they were used to exclude people on the basis of ethnicity and gender.

dd78

d78, I don't know the purpose of your resume or where you live, but if it is for most jobs in North America, I would not suggest attaching a picture. In the past they were used to exclude people on the basis of ethnicity and gender.

It`s off topic here,
but it`s obviously very different in Poland. I only look for a job locally.

An official information/statement is usually just a statement.

Reality may be totally different. And it usually is different.

BTW, it`s a good example of a tricky Mercury:

incomplete and/or distorted information, lies, cheating and manipulation.

:devil: