Chart Synthesis: When Things Oppose

byjove

Account Closed
Hi all,

I have not found deep information on this yet; just waffle and theory about what to do but I really need to understand how opposing forces meet in a chart.

When forces oppose, is it that one is held back and the other let through at different times, or is it in different circumstances or depending on areas of life marked by the cusps and planets?

Just one example; I've Cancer Rising, powering my natal Virgo Moon. Unfortunately it's afflicted and many of the traits native are overblown; I plan ahead (with worry), people tell me I'm waaaaay to picky and perfectionist, but I'm known for the traits marked by planets in it's opposite sign too; Pisces.

I, cannot, figure out when and how, but I'm hoping to better understand. I come back to this now (the basics) that I'm confronted with how powerful the mark is. Also, I like to do 'rounds' of understanding, and it's time to delve deeper. Of course, as astrology is very useful for, I'm confident I can use this self-knowledge to make better decisions for myself.

Virgo Moon (Cancer Rising, Moon in 3rd)
Pisces Mercury (Conjunct MC, exactly)
Pisces Venus (in 9th, opposing Moon)

P.s. You'll see an Aries Sun again adding contradictions but widening the scope yet again, and this is inconjunct Moon too, and in a wide square with the AC)

Last edited:

Mark

I'm sure some will disagree with this, but here is the basic theory as I see it. A conjunction acts as a mixing pot, two forces come together to work for the same goal. An opposition, on the other hand, is those same two forces without the mixing pot. When an opposition occurs, each planet will be pulling in its own direction. They are "out of synch" with each other. This has the same effect upon planets that it has upon people. When two people are working together for the whole, things go smoothly. When two people demand to set their own separate goals or demand to approach in their unique way, the cooperation is broken and progress becomes more haphazard.

It should be noted, however, that oppositions are incredibly useful. When you can direct the latent forces of each planet in the same direction to work cooperatively, then you'll have something like a "wave particle." A single "packet" of light (a photon) is made up of positive and negative halves. They spiral around each other infinitely, which is what propels light at a constant maximum speed. Each half is always reinforcing the other. When you can make astrological forces within yourself work that way, then you can accomplish much. In fact, in terms of what a person is capable of doing, I would say oppositions and squares are better than trines and sextiles. People only like seeing easy aspects because they want to have lots of easy days. Easy days don't build anything. The hard days are the ones that matter most.

byjove

Account Closed
Wise words about the tougher days making a stronger print on someone! I wonder though, how would two opposing forces come into play? Is it a matter of house cusps, or are both energies liable to come out at almost any time?

What does it mean to have a strong footprint in two opposing camps?

RayAustin

Oppositions seem to express the planet's energies involved to the extreme.. Example, oppositions to Saturn tend to be extreme restriction or prohibition in life, large obstacles & losses; oppositions to Jupiter seem to manifest as extravagance and wastefulness. Perhaps the opposition is the affirmation that too much is never a good thing.

Mark

I'll try to simplify my response from last time. A conjunction will tend to mix two influences together. In an opposition, each planet will be fighting to express itself first. Saturn and Uranus can be seen as polar opposites. In a conjunction, the two forces will be mixed and the outcome will be a cooperation of both. In an opposition, the two forces will each to try to express themselves over the other. So, instead of having a mixture of Saturn/Uranus being expressed, the expression is Saturn trying to dominate from one direction and Uranus trying to dominate from another. In a conjunction, you'll likely see singular expressions of two forces. In an opposition, each force will have its own expression and you will need to deal with two conflicting expressions. I hope this is clearer than my last post.

Wise words about the tougher days making a stronger print on someone! I wonder though, how would two opposing forces come into play? Is it a matter of house cusps, or are both energies liable to come out at almost any time?

What does it mean to have a strong footprint in two opposing camps?

It's no surprise to me that people notice the pisces traits with mercury conj Pisces MC and venus (exalted) in pisces. Virgo and cancer are the two worriers of the zodiac to. Then you simply cannot take these to planets out of context with looking at there aspects which are squared to Saturn/uranus.

Start by separating out the aspects, oppositions are similar to squares by way of tension but a little less so and tend to suggest 'others' outside of yourself rather than something internal.

Moon square venus
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=208077&postcount=1
this should help explain this aspect. There is *something* at odds with relationships ie: when someone emotionallly fulfils you (moon) then perhaps you are not attracted to them physically and vice versa....

Saturn retro square virgo moon, emotionally cautious, didn't receive enough nurturing in early childhood, poss lacking father/male archetypal influences or structures...
Saturn retro square venus, again very similar to moon, may always have to work hard to acheive financial stability, able to endure financial hardships (like mom)
venus square uranus - the divorce aspect. needs lots of freedom and independence within relationships..

Moon chart ruler in 2nd house Equal house suggests your beliefs, values and how you earn your money mean a great deal emotionally and these feelings may well fluctuate a lot (moon). Now the oppositon to venus in 8th house suggests *other people's values* finances may be opposed to your own and this is where the integration needs to be worked on maybe....

wilsontc

Staff member
tug of war, to Mark

Mark,

You said:
A conjunction acts as a mixing pot, two forces come together to work for the same goal. An opposition, on the other hand, is those same two forces without the mixing pot. When an opposition occurs, each planet will be pulling in its own direction.

I agree with this. The best description I've heard of an opposition is it represents a "tug of war", with each side pulling in the opposite direction in the chart.

Tugging,

Tim

byjove

Account Closed
Well I get the tug of war alright. That is exactly what I'd describe in me. It is do-able though. I'm often concerned that I may appear insincere to other people when they see such a wide variety of reactions. However, I know it's not all bad. People I've dated and friends have always said it's amusing and interesting to see such polar-opposite reactions in one person, and a friend recently said I surprise her each day by how many differences are within me.

I know the positive potential. Mixing and blending and harnessing these influences can create a wise, and powerful character who can use that knowledge to do things such as help promote understanding, justice, fairness and create systems which embody these things. I intend to see that end.

(I don't see Venus square Uranus in my chart, I've Venus square Saturn, and Moon opposition Venus, no?)

CaptNemo

I have learned that people can use all the Elements and be productive. Air, Water, Earth and Fire. You can do anything and pick the element to do it in.

With that said, to opposing forces (Like Libra and Aries) can work together to do something or can work in oppisite directions. Knowledge can complement Action or work against it.

I would try to learn to use both energys to push your goals in the direction you want to go.