Confused about Pluto

JUPITERASC

Now let us talk about Uranus;
I believed my Mars just tickled it!:biggrin:
This thread is specifically on answering a question clearly perplexing the OP:
Hi everyone,

I am very confused about Pluto after reading the following...
and what I can't understand or grasp is why Pluto was assigned as ruler of Scorpio?
attempting to avoid the elephant in the modern astrological room
with the red herring of Uranus
is counterproducting

Oh but wait, I forgot my binoculars!

by the way
Uranus is defidnitely not 'a naked eye planet'
so
you'll need more than binoculars to view Uranus
clear skies are necessary
you'll have to know exactly where to look for Uranus.
because
Uranus is barely visible to a keen naked eye ~ even on very dark, clear nights

so

take a hike to some rural location where there is no light pollution, as is common in cities
choose a moment when there are clear skies

even then you won't notice Uranus unless you have a starmap

and

a small telescope is recommended

and so

be prepared to invest a few coins
http://space.about.com/od/telescopesandoptics/p/6scopepoints.htm

'.....When hunting Uranus, it is best to carefully study a star map of that part of the sky where the planet is located
and then scan that region with binoculars.
With a small telescope with at least a 3-inch aperture
and magnification of 150-power,
you should be able to resolve Uranus into a tiny, pale-green featureless disk......'

thousands of years ago astrology began when people began observing the sky at night

Today, the vast majority are so out of touch with visual sky observations

people are often confused simply due to unfamiliarity with the sky at night
and
many assume that a Tropical astrology chart shows the visible location of planets/stars
instead
Tropical astrology instead shows the location of planets/stars as they once were more than two thousand years ago :smile:

JUPITERASC

Anyways, as you've already guessed, the modern interpretation will definitely be more general
generalisation, although fun, is unreliable
because the modernist usually honors free will
'free will' is limited
and is also not so much into the good/bad paradigm.
discuss that with the homeless person on the street

Where modernists differ
may be the degree to which
they are free from the good/bad paradigm
and the role conscious thought plays in their general ontology.
Traditionalists also take into account the role of conscious thought :smile:

So there won't be a standard modern interpretation.
How convenient that 'modernists' invent generalisations at will

Dirius

Like JUPASC mentioned, you can ignore the good/bad paradigm if you want. It doesn't make it go away, it is still there.

If a person asks for a delineation on its personality, traditional methodology can account for a lot of things. Giving general readings that can apply to anyone are simply not accurate.

I actually gave you a "small" delineation of what you asked for. I could tell you more things about that moon conjunct mars/saturn in the 3rd in Libra.

astralrabbit

Account Closed
This thread is specifically on answering a question clearly perplexing the OP:

attempting to avoid the elephant in the modern astrological room
with the red herring of Uranus
is counterproducting

by the way
Uranus is defidnitely not 'a naked eye planet'
so
you'll need more than binoculars to view Uranus
clear skies are necessary
you'll have to know exactly where to look for Uranus.
because
Uranus is barely visible to a keen naked eye ~ even on very dark, clear nights

so

take a hike to some rural location where there is no light pollution, as is common in cities
choose a moment when there are clear skies

even then you won't notice Uranus unless you have a starmap

and

a small telescope is recommended

and so

be prepared to invest a few coins
http://space.about.com/od/telescopesandoptics/p/6scopepoints.htm

'.....When hunting Uranus, it is best to carefully study a star map of that part of the sky where the planet is located
and then scan that region with binoculars.
With a small telescope with at least a 3-inch aperture
and magnification of 150-power,
you should be able to resolve Uranus into a tiny, pale-green featureless disk......'

thousands of years ago astrology began when people began observing the sky at night

Today, the vast majority are so out of touch with visual sky observations

people are often confused simply due to unfamiliarity with the sky at night
and
many assume that a Tropical astrology chart shows the visible location of planets/stars
instead
Tropical astrology instead shows the location of planets/stars as they once were more than two thousand years ago :smile:

:lol: My apologies; if one were to read carefully, they would see that the discussion quickly turned into a traditionalist versus a modernist view. Simple as that. For those who think in a lineal fashion straight into a box; Forgive my ad hoc humor~

astralrabbit

Account Closed
Like JUPASC mentioned, you can ignore the good/bad paradigm if you want. It doesn't make it go away, it is still there.

If a person asks for a delineation on its personality, traditional methodology can account for a lot of things. Giving general readings that can apply to anyone are simply not accurate.

I actually gave you a "small" delineation of what you asked for. I could tell you more things about that moon conjunct mars/saturn in the 3rd in Libra.

My first encounter with Astrology came with some really bad advice that I took out of naivety. It is important to really see and understand what is happening with the Native. If the Native had Pluto conjunct a specific inner natal planet making no other connection (not just aspect) to a "traditional malefic"; how would you be able to catch that and see that potential energy as a negative manifestation so that you would be able to alter how you speak to that person? It was only maybe 2 months ago that a member that is now banned contacted me asking whether or not the potential to go prison was there for a long time because the native was angry at the lover's ex partner" blecch....those are tough when you get those. There were significant hard outer-planetary contacts with in this individuals chart to the Moon and Mercury. You have to handle those accordingly. Removing the outer planets for me, would remove a lot of important detail out that is sorely needed. Yes they are generational as well but they say something about the zeitgeist of the moment and that is extremely important when pertaining to the individual psyche.

JUPITERASC

:lol: My apologies; if one were to read carefully, they would see that the discussion quickly turned into a traditionalist versus a modernist view.
Simple as that. For those who think in a lineal fashion straight into a box; Forgive my ad hoc humor~
No need to apologise :smile:

Since modernists tend to think "in a linear fashion straight into a box of ad hoc humor"
then this situation is not unexpected

Dirius

My first encounter with Astrology came with some really bad advice that I took out of naivety. It is important to really see and understand what is happening with the Native. If the Native had Pluto conjunct a specific inner natal planet making no other connection (not just aspect) to a "traditional malefic"; how would you be able to catch that and see that potential energy as a negative manifestation so that you would be able to alter how you speak to that person? It was only maybe 2 months ago that a member that is now banned contacted me asking whether or not the potential to go prison was there for a long time because the native was angry at the lover's ex partner" blecch....those are tough when you get those. There were significant hard outer-planetary contacts with in this individuals chart to the Moon and Mercury. You have to handle those accordingly. Removing the outer planets for me, would remove a lot of important detail out that is sorely needed. Yes they are generational as well but they say something about the zeitgeist of the moment and that is extremely important when pertaining to the individual psyche.

You are failing to notice that EVERYTHING can be explained without the outer planets.

The example you are giving about a Native having a planet that makes no aspect to any other planet, can be explained by many different things.

There are more things aside planetary aspects in charts: essential dignities, speed, position in relation to the sun, reception through signs, house placement, etc.

The problem is that in your methodology you just use few tools (planetary aspects), while in traditional methodology the tools are plenty, and harder to use of course.

According to waybread, things like essential dignities are not employed much, for example. And this actually can give a lot of information regarding the personality of an individual.

Any side of the personality can be explained without using outer planets.

Using delineations such as: your moon conjuncts pluto so "this and that", is an over-simplification of the astrological practice. And this isn't just for the outers, also for stuff like:"Sun trine Mars is this or that". It isn't so simple.

It is the methodology that fails, so in order to make more sensitive delineations, outer planets like pluto are sort of "inserted" into the delineation, in order to make up for things difficult to explain (that would just require a traditional observation).

But in doing so, you are just adding a lot of significations, usually inaccurate, to a simple thing that could be explained more precisely.

Last edited:

astralrabbit

Account Closed
You are failing to notice that EVERYTHING can be explained without the outer planets.

The example you are giving about a Native having a planet that makes no aspect to any other planet, can be explained by many different things.

There are more things aside planetary aspects in charts: essential dignities, speed, position in relation to the sun, reception through signs, house placement, etc.

The problem is that in your methodology you just use few tools (planetary aspects), while in traditional methodology the tools are plenty, and harder to use of course.

According to waybread, things like essential dignities are not employed much, for example. And this actually can give a lot of information regarding the personality of an individual.

Any side of the personality can be explained without using outer planets.

Using delineations such as: your moon conjuncts pluto so "this and that", is an over-simplification of the astrological practice. And this isn't just for the outers, also for stuff like:"Sun trine Mars is this or that". It isn't so simple.

It is the methodology that fails, so in order to make more sensitive delineations, outer planets like pluto are sort of "inserted" into the delineation, in order to make up for things difficult to explain (that would just require a traditional observation).

But in doing so, you are just adding a lot of significations, usually inaccurate, to a simple thing that could be explained more precisely.

The mere fact that you mentioned," the tools are harder", illustrates your sense of intelligence is far more superior than a modernist. Your inability to even try to incorporate the experimentation of any of the outer planets in a traditional methodology is what will always hold you back from being more than you choose to be. If the OP was inquiring about the energy of Pluto then why do you speak on it as if you are an expert when you do not even include it as part of your practice. As I said earlier in the thread, the Arabic parts seemingly were created to explain the observation of energies that the original planetary and star energies could not. the human race is always searching for the answers to those deeper questions. The birth of psychological astrology was obviously a very much needed step in our evolution, to provide such relief.

Dirius

The mere fact that you mentioned," the tools are harder", illustrates your sense of intelligence is far more superior than a modernist. Your inability to even try to incorporate the experimentation of any of the outer planets in a traditional methodology is what will always hold you back from being more than you choose to be. If the OP was inquiring about the energy of Pluto then why do you speak on it as if you are an expert when you do not even include it as part of your practice. As I said earlier in the thread, the Arabic parts seemingly were created to explain the observation of energies that the original planetary and star energies could not. the human race is always searching for the answers to those deeper questions. The birth of psychological astrology was obviously a very much needed step in our evolution, to provide such relief.

I never implied I'm more intelligent. Just that I employ techniques and methods that are much harder to apply, than what "general" modern astrology employs- which is true.

You can certainly look at all the questions I asked to muchacho regarding the chart. It is not "just looking at the moon mars conjunction", it is checking a lot of things.

I don't need to incorporate anything. Classical planets as they are, already provide me with much more information that what you get with outer planets.

The hermetic lots have nothing to do with energies. As I explained, they are representations of the middle points in which the Asc (the self) meets the planet which the lot is related to.

The implication about the outer planets is that they provide "additional information". This is not needed.

Using traditional techniques, you get all the information, so you don't really need outer planets.

[deleted off-topic quote - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

alexandre

I would like to say that as I 'm very Plutonian, I will not tell all details about my life , but I know that Pluto have huge effects in my life, so I know that astrologers which don't use Pluto in their interpretations won't talk about some very important sides into my personality and my life and that is a reel failure.

I have had plenty of prooves in others forums (french and others) , that traditional astrologers were less accurate and efficent (about my portrait) than modern astrologers because when I discovered astrology (about 3 years ago), I have wanted that astrologers gave me what they thought about me, according to my birthchart, and the differences between traditional and modern were absolutely significative(!). At this time, Ididn't know nothing about the differences between modern and traditional astrologers. But thanks to these significative differences I could make the decision to study modern astrology which, in my opinion, much more accurate and efficient in drawing a portrait and also for predictive expectations.

I intend now to discover then, fictive points, because I have noticed some very interesting and accurate things about that.

Nonetheless, I find it very important to respect each kind of astrology. And I never allow me to direspect traditional astrologers of course.

Excuse me for my wrong english.

Attachments

• astro1.gif
    astro1.gif
    47.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

JUPITERASC

I would like to say that as I 'm very Plutonian, I will not tell all details about my life , but I know that Pluto have huge effects in my life, so I know that astrologers which don't use Pluto in their interpretations won't talk about very important side in my personality and my life and that is a reel failure.
If you describe what exactly is meant by "I'm very Plutonian"
that would be helpful
:smile:
I have had plenty of prooves in others forums (french and others) , that traditional astrologers were less accurate and efficent than modern astrologers because when I discovered astrology (about 3 years ago), I have wanted that astrologers give me what they think about me according my birthchart, and the difference between traditional and modern were absolutely significative(!). At this time, Ididn't know nothing about the differences between modern and traditional astrologers. But thanks to these significative differences I could make the decision to study modern astrology which, in my opinion, much more accurate and efficient in drawing a portrait and also for predictive expectations.

I intend now to discover then, fictive points, because I have noticed some very interesting and accurate things about that.

Nonetheless, I find it very important to respect each kind of astrology. And I never allow me to direspect traditional astrologers of course.

Excuse me for my wrong english.
If you have not studied traditional astrology then you lack the ability to read your own natal chart using traditional methods
to say that members on a forum were 'much more inaccurate' is meaningless
because many members on forums, french or otherwise, are complete beginners and practicing their skills
IF you ever had a professional traditional reading from a respected tradtional astrologer
such as
http://www.martingansten.com/nr.php
then you would have a very different opinion

waybread

Unique_astrology, I take your point about entrenched positions. I took a brief holiday from the aggravation on this thread for that reason. I am about done with it, but found some champions of modern astrology fighting the good fight.

[deleted off-topic comments - Moderator]

My re-edit:
To Dirius-- not Unique_Astrology Tim changed my meaning, unfortunately:

I've cited several books on Pluto for you. Some of this homework should include reading the earlier pages on this thread. Some of it is nearly self-evident, like Pluto ruling the atomic bomb. Try to be OK with abstractions. And I'd love to see what you do with the Elizabeth Smart chart and biographical material I posted/linked in light of what's been posted here about Pluto.

Are you willing to post your chart with the modern outers? The behaviour I've described is very Plutonian. Pluto has an uncomfortable energy that is very easy for people to suppress and deny, such that it shows up for them as "not-me." Sometimes behaviours that are apparent to everyone else are news to the native.

If you don't "need" the outer planets, that's fine. Nobody has argued that you must use them.

Most modern astrologers are fine with people practising traditional western, Vedic, Tibetan, Mayan, Chinese, Uranian, or what-have-you astrology, if that's what floats their boats, and horoscope natives feel they've gotten value from the chart interpretation. So there is a power-dynamic at work with someone arguing that he's got the true methodology, such that its nearest competitor must be suppressed.

Please realize that the traditional horary astrology that you love and practice (with all of your carefully listed diagnostics) is fine, but it is not the standard against which other forms of astrology can be judged.; any more than we would claim that the German language is bad French; or American football's problem is that it doesn't follow the rules of soccer. None of these examples has to justify itself according to some kind of neo-conservative template to validate its existence.

So far as the time-line fallacy goes, traditional western astrology was hooted out of existence in Europe by about 1700. Part of the reason was that in practice a lot of it was really inaccurate (see the Jonathan Swift/Isaac Bickerstaff caper;) and advances in medicine without the benefit of medical astrology vanquished university astrology's primary reason for inclusion in the curriculum.

Some of us would rather help people make sense of their lives than find the missing car keys or determine whether some young man will text an anxious young woman he's scarcely met-- over and over. I'd rather work with the woman's natal chart to see what is her approach to relationships more generally, when she seems to be grasping at relationship straws. And sometimes, depending upon the chart, an outer planet like Pluto does help her to learn about herself.

Last edited:

muchacho

LOL?

Excuse me muchacho, you OWE me a modern interpretation, to see what "your technique" can do. I took the trouble to delineate that, so the proper courtesy would indicate you would show me your modern interpretation.

So please, explain from your point of view, how is moon affected by those conjunctions from the modern very general point of view. :wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

Haha, well, then you still owe me a Pluto interpretation! What I remember still owing you is a list of Scorpio/Mars differences. And I'm planning to do that in a separate thread since it's more complex than I initially thought. Haven't had the time so far.

What Pluto is adding to the mix is emotional depth, heightened sensitivity and great earnestness and a very rare type of determination which basically knows no limits and doesn't fear anything, not even total self-annihilation.

What Mars-Saturn is adding to the mix is Mars' restlessness, boldness and hot temper which will be tuned down considerably by Saturn's carefulness, slowness and inflexibility.

So, to focus on just one aspect of the 3rd House, communication, the Libra Moon will be rather soft-spoken, enjoy debates as long as they remain civil, quick-witted, probably an excellent story-teller and actor but emotionally speaking rather cool and detached, maybe even shallow, because the interest is more in smooth sailing along pleasing surfaces than applying effort and looking what's really going on beneath.

The Libra Moon conjunct Mars-Saturn, however, will be a little more blunt, doesn't mind to disagree and can stomach a noisy debate where things get personal. At the same time, feelings will be much more under control, but when they are expressed, it will be more temperamental. Generally speaking I would expect communication to be more tight-lipped and to the point.

The Libra Moon conjunct Pluto will also be more blunt and doesn't mind to disagree or shy away from debates when things get personal. The main difference to the Mars-Saturn is the enormous emotional depth and sensitivity. The native won't be fooled by nice words but rather (unconsciously) pick up the vibe that's behind the words and will be more interested in what's behind the curtain while the pure Libra Moon would be satisfied with the curtain as long as it is pleasing.

So, to sum it up, the pure Libra Moon will be interested in saving face and avoid ruffling any feathers and prefer a smooth, effortless, civil and lively but rather superficial style of communication (e.g. small talk or entertainment); the Libra Moon conjunct Mars and Saturn will be interested in meaningful activity and prefers a more stimulating and more meaty style of communication (e.g. politics and world affairs); the Moon conjunct Pluto will be interested getting to the bottom of things without much ado and will prefer a communication style that is investigative and straight to the point (e.g. existential questions).

I think the main fallacy or misconception about Pluto is in assuming that Pluto is fiery. If Pluto is really the ruler of Scorpio, than it has to belong to the water element. And so it should be clear that Pluto can never be a mixture of Mars and Saturn since we don't get water qualities after mixing earth qualities with fire qualities.

No its not about "free will", because many aspects of our personality are not "choices", they work how they work. People have BAD personality traits. That is a fact. Ignoring them isn't better.
It os not a fatalistic look on life. It is a realistic one. If you rather live in magical dreamland, where every person is good, and people don't have bad traits, that is your choicer. I rather live in the realistic world, and apply a realistic view :joyful:

So in your opinion a very generalized interpretation of astrology that can apply to pretty much anyone, is better?

Instead of an interpretation that actually does tell the individuals exact personallity traits?

Traditional astrology can pin point the specific personality traits. Without eomploying general things that can account to anyone. That is the beauty of it.

People have bad personality traits. It is a fact.

I agree that, seen from this physical perspective, we didn't choose our personality. Where I disagree is that there are good and bad traits. Good and bad are subjective value judgements, i.e. compared to what? One character trait can be considered good in one situation and bad in another situation. And in another culture or era in time, it could be considered differently still. There's no absolute right or wrong outside of you. That's why I prefer general interpretations. There's a lot of latitude in those traits. Let's take the Pluto Moon as an example. On a good day, the ability to sense what's behind the surface and the tendency to get straight to the point can be used constructively to keep conversations focused and sincere and no-nonsense, on a bad day, it can be used destructively for backhanded games of deception. It all depends if the native is in alignment or out of alignment with his inner core.

So, in that sense, I would agree that people can become predictable to a certain degree. We can predict how they deal with certain conditions. What we cannot predict, however, is if they deal with those conditions constructively or destructively. That depends entirely on the mood in the moment, which again depends on a number of other things.

The problem I have with traditional astrology is that it uses descriptions that have positive or negative connotations by default, and too often there are only extremes.

muchacho

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against specific readings per se. If you have the native sitting next to you, you can adjust your interpretation to his circumstances and level of awareness. You can basically get so specific that you could talk about the type and quality of their socks. The question is not is it possible, the question is, is it necessary or helpful?

And in a rather anonymous situation like this forum, jumping right into the specifics can be shocking for some (see the reaction from astralrabbit!). What you have to keep in mind is that people tend to take things literally. Also, don't underestimate the power of self-fulfilling prophecies and the power of conscious thought, i.e Law of Attraction.

So, personally, I don't really want to quibble with your interpretation, it's fine with me, except that you could throw out the good/bad stuff. But I'm not sure if your system allows that.

muchacho

That's an interesting challenge. Let's test it with this chart and see if the outer planets make no difference whatsoever. I invite the modernists to post their interpretation of the 3 outer planets in this chart and the traditionalists to explain how these interpretations can be explained with the traditional planets alone. You can also only focus on Pluto if it's too much effort.

Attachments

• astro_2gw_03_example_hw.39966.9512.jpg
    astro_2gw_03_example_hw.39966.9512.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

astralrabbit

Account Closed
Don't get me wrong. I'm not against specific readings per se. If you have the native sitting next to you, you can adjust your interpretation to his circumstances and level of awareness. You can basically get so specific that you could talk about the type and quality of their socks. The question is not is it possible, the question is, is it necessary or helpful?

And in a rather anonymous situation like this forum, jumping right into the specifics can be shocking for some (see the reaction from astralrabbit!). What you have to keep in mind is that people tend to take things literally. Also, don't underestimate the power of self-fulfilling prophecies and the power of conscious thought, i.e Law of Attraction.

So, personally, I don't really want to quibble with your interpretation, it's fine with me, except that you could throw out the good/bad stuff. But I'm not sure if your system allows that.

The delivery is important. I think that is the most important part of connecting with the individual that is seeking guidance. The labeling of good/bad is a negative and I personally have a great distaste for it, as do other "modern" astrologers that I know and that is the Biggest turn off with "traditional" astrology in my observation.

astralrabbit

Account Closed
That's an interesting challenge. Let's test it with this chart and see if the outer planets make no difference whatsoever. I invite the modernists to post their interpretation of the 3 outer planets in this chart and the traditionalists to explain how these interpretations can be explained with the traditional planets alone. You can also only focus on Pluto if it's too much effort.

astro_2gw_03_example_hw.39966.9512.gif

:devil: Game on~

Dirius

Chart file is not displayed :alien:

Of course we can, but depends on what you want your outtake to be:

If you explain something like neptune-conjunct sun in the 12:"your misterious self awararness grants you a a resolution for spiritual evolution....etc"

We are clearly able to describe a person, but we do it in a more realistic down to earth way- So while the test is interesting, depends on the expected results.

I've noticed by your post that perhaps that is why we can't get to an agreement, given that the nature of the outers, you grant to them significances we consider a bit unreal, for example:

What Pluto is adding to the mix is emotional depth, heightened sensitivity and great earnestness and a very rare type of determination which basically knows no limits and doesn't fear anything, not even total self-annihilation.
We don't deal on unrealistic terms. Emotional depth for example, not sure what could imply:

- as in is the person supceptible to emotional needs? is able to understand its emotions? is all day thinking about its emotions?

We can analyze those things, but we do it as seperate objective things, not mash-up significations of feelings.

For example that mention of pluto is similar to what I said of the moon disconnected from the Asc or its ruler, a person that may or may not be able to connect to its emotions. If we would find the moon in mutual reception with the Asc ruler, could be considered what you can qualify as "emotional depth", but we would call it a person that is aligned and supceptible with its feelings.

The explanations for those kind of things will obviously be able to be explained: once you break it down into objective things.

Obviously if you expect for us to find an explanation to: "spiritual evolution", we clearly won't, since we don't believe in that.

muchacho

The delivery is important. I think that is the most important part of connecting with the individual that is seeking guidance. The labeling of good/bad is a negative and I personally have a great distaste for it, as do other "modern" astrologers that I know and that is the Biggest turn off with "traditional" astrology in my observation.
Yes, it really depends on the individual that is seeking advice. That's why I say chart interpretation is always a psychic endeavor. And some just want a good/bad reading. We have to accept that, too. Personally, I wouldn't do it though.