North node - How many do accomplish their spiritual mission?

Animatrix

Hi all.

I've been thinking lately. For me there is no doubt that the North node is the single most important factor in the natal chart. It is what astrologers should focus on, in my opinion, because what is life about? Everyone wants happiness, that is what we are working for, day after day, and dreaming of. Happiness. And the North node shows where happiness is for each and everyone of us. Everything in the chart ought to be looked upon as means to accomplish the spiritual mission.

When I first got into this, I thought that the thing was easy, that almost all souls realized their North node potential. But the more I look at it, the more depressing it feels, because when I study the charts of famous people, of my friends, my family and myself, it seems that there are not many of us who are actually even close to realizing the North node.

My mother has North node in Leo, but she is stuck in her Aquarius ways, and she is old now and she is barely aware of her Leo potential. My father has Virgo North node, he is not close either. My sister has Capricorn NN, I doubt she ever will be able to realize that, since she is so broken in spirits and too dependent on us in the family. Never say never I guess, but the future seems dark.

Just studied the charts of Brynn Hartman, famous model who killed her husband after he wanted divorce. She had NN in Scorpio, meaning that she would have to lose (or leave) Everything materialistic behind in order to create a new life. She never did, because when she lost Everything she committed suicide, after killing her husband. She could not live outside the Taurus SN realm.

Erwin Rommel had the opposite - Taurus South Node. Erwin Rommel was a famous German General Fieldmarshal who lived on the battlefield and died by suicide, he was forced to, because he betrayed Hitler. He could commit suicide and the Nazi state would then leave his family alone, and if he did not kill himself, the Nazi state would prosecute his family and the result would be horrible. He never managed to leave the dark battlefield of danger and Death (Scorpio) in time to create a stable life of security (Taurus).

Ingrid Bergman had NN in Aquarius, suggesting that she had to move away from drama and glamour, and the spotlight, in order to create a life based on a humanitarian outlook, with more of an altruistic way of life. She remained Leo until the very end; saying that she belonged to showbusiness and that was her life. It seems so that she never realized her NN.

Errol Flynn had NN in Gemini, meaning that he would have to cultivate responsbility and an acceptable image to the cultivated class, to be more of a "society-person". He remained the irresponsible adventurer (Sagittarius) to the end. He never quite realized his NN.

Another man I admired much, was working in a sort of humanitarian enterprise. He had NN in Pisces, meaning that he would have to be less fault-finding, and find the joy in faith and learn to be able to overlook other's faults. He remained kind of pessimistic, never felt good enough, never felt that his work had done a great enough impact. He felt unhappy with humanity and the World, and saw its imperfection everywhere. He never realized his NN. He never acquired that evolved Piscean outlook on life.

A friend of mine has NN in Libra. He is still very much Aries-like. Ego first, relationships second. No progress at all, though he is not old so there is a long way remaining.

But it makes me wonder, why so few seem to be able to realize their NN? Is it because they find a degree of happiness sufficient for them in the SN? Is it because they do not find the necessary motivation to assert themselves and go after that which their souls crave? I see it so often, people who are not even trying to move towards their NN, as if they have given up.

I am personally up to face the greatest challenge of my life. I must leave Everything and everyone I ever liked, something that I cannot do. My heart rebels against it. I feel sick even thinking about it. I would rather die, but my faith keeps me alive. Should I go after it? I do not know.

What are your experiences with the NN? Have you accomplished your spiritual goals?

Kuntuzangmo

I think it's hard particularly if there is some modicum of success coming from the SN position. The draw is just too strong.
I have SN in Aries in the 9th. Spiritual, higher learning and travel have marked much of my life. Yet at the same time I've also cultivated very consciously my 3rd house Libra qualities and activities. (The cusp is actually Virgo) The pull is so strong that I actually abandoned a very successful career in communications at the age of 40 to go back to spiritual pursuits full time. It was too extreme and I know that now. I lost a lot that was very meaningful to me but at the time I was driven to stay that course. Integrating the two while leaning more fully on the 3rd house as a context is what I'm doing now that I'm reaching a 2nd Saturn return.
I agree that the NN would make things far easier and fulfilling for most. The adventure is a learning that is lifelong. Hopefully people will learn to integrate and understand that.

Animatrix

Would it be cliche if I'd say that it is complicated? :happy:
Yes, it is I guess. Erwin Rommel had the same.

No I would understand :) But if you would want to tell me a Little bit at least, I would be very, very grateful. You can send it in a private message if you like. I happen to have the same NN as you :)

Erwin Rommel had the NN in Taurus, not Scorpio.

Animatrix

I have SN in sag 9th house in a stellium with sun, uranus, jupiter, mercury, pof and neptune. For me is very hard to move to my NN energy. I am very sagittarian!

Yeah, this is what I mean. Yet Life would probably give more happiness if we all accomplished our NN goal.

waybread

I interpret the nodes in a pretty straightforward way. Depending upon the sign, house, aspects and rest of the chart, the nodes may or may not have a spiritual meaning.

The NN shows where your growth lies. It is often but not always way beyond the person's comfort zone.

The SN shows an area that you've mastered decently well, but if you stay in your SN territory, you're liable to stagnate.

Each sign and house has multiple options that are entirely consistent with its core meanings, so I think we need to be careful before determining any "correct" meaning of the NN in a particular sign and house.

Also, the nodes get activated by transits and progressions. Particularly with a younger person, their nodes may not get activated until later in life. I'm not sure why they would be unless you had the nodes conjunct the person's sun, moon, or a personal planet.

Just as a personal example, I have the NN in Aries in the 8th and the SN in Libra in the 2nd. My husband and I are 9.5 years apart in age, so our nodal axes are conjunct and reversed. My NN sextiles both my Aquarian sun/Pisces Mars conjunction, and Gemini Uranus on my MC, and doesn't have any hard natal aspects.

OK, great. So the 8th house is one I've spend a lot of time thinking about. Given that I am now a senior, I don't see sex or death as particular themes; but to me the 8th also has the meaning of "life on the edge." With Mars involved (Aries=Mars rulership) I need to think about independence, courage, athleticism, and/or other Mars-related themes. Spiritually I need to have the courage of my metaphysical convictions, as we will all die eventually.

Especially with the Aqua-sun conjunct Pisces Mars and MC-Uranus getting into the act, I've tried to be an independent thinker. I don't want to wake up and find out I'm like everybody else.

My husband and I love making various trips into wilder places. But I have a huge fear of falling off a cliff and we tend to get ourselves unintentionally into this type of hiking trail. We have a canoe, so we got back into multi-day canoe trips after a long hiatus from my youth. On our last trip, we chanced paddling on a big windy lake but made it back safely. I didn't think I would die from hypothermia if we swamped in the big waves, but would have had a period in the water of trying to get a partly-submerged, fully loaded canoe back to shore.

We had a dear friend die several years ago, and made a point of visiting him in hospice care.

So this type of encounter with life-on-the-edge and dying are the ways that I try to feed my NN.

Meanwhile, I am sitting here typing in my living room, surrounded by nice art work, house plants, furniture, and sometimes music. This is SN in the second house in Libra territory. Very pleasant, but I need to go out and do something active about now, I think.

Animatrix

I interpret the nodes in a pretty straightforward way. Depending upon the sign, house, aspects and rest of the chart, the nodes may or may not have a spiritual meaning.

The NN shows where your growth lies. It is often but not always way beyond the person's comfort zone.

The SN shows an area that you've mastered decently well, but if you stay in your SN territory, you're liable to stagnate.

Each sign and house has multiple options that are entirely consistent with its core meanings, so I think we need to be careful before determining any "correct" meaning of the NN in a particular sign and house.

Also, the nodes get activated by transits and progressions. Particularly with a younger person, their nodes may not get activated until later in life. I'm not sure why they would be unless you had the nodes conjunct the person's sun, moon, or a personal planet.

Just as a personal example, I have the NN in Aries in the 8th and the SN in Libra in the 2nd. My husband and I are 9.5 years apart in age, so our nodal axes are conjunct and reversed. My NN sextiles both my Aquarian sun/Pisces Mars conjunction, and Gemini Uranus on my MC, and doesn't have any hard natal aspects.

OK, great. So the 8th house is one I've spend a lot of time thinking about. Given that I am now a senior, I don't see sex or death as particular themes; but to me the 8th also has the meaning of "life on the edge." With Mars involved (Aries=Mars rulership) I need to think about independence, courage, athleticism, and/or other Mars-related themes. Spiritually I need to have the courage of my metaphysical convictions, as we will all die eventually.

Especially with the Aqua-sun conjunct Pisces Mars and MC-Uranus getting into the act, I've tried to be an independent thinker. I don't want to wake up and find out I'm like everybody else.

My husband and I love making various trips into wilder places. But I have a huge fear of falling off a cliff and we tend to get ourselves unintentionally into this type of hiking trail. We have a canoe, so we got back into multi-day canoe trips after a long hiatus from my youth. On our last trip, we chanced paddling on a big windy lake but made it back safely. I didn't think I would die from hypothermia if we swamped in the big waves, but would have had a period in the water of trying to get a partly-submerged, fully loaded canoe back to shore.

We had a dear friend die several years ago, and made a point of visiting him in hospice care.

So this type of encounter with life-on-the-edge and dying are the ways that I try to feed my NN.

Meanwhile, I am sitting here typing in my living room, surrounded by nice art work, house plants, furniture, and sometimes music. This is SN in the second house in Libra territory. Very pleasant, but I need to go out and do something active about now, I think.

Thank you so much for your reply.
But Aries NN is also about building an identity I guess, establishing a sense of self?

anyway, loved your post, thanks.

UraSatVen1029

Hi! I first discovered what a North Node is, around last year in July. Ever since then, I've been thinking of ways to get to that energy and I've been a little impatient, but it's really what I feel because after discivering my NN, I felt like I finally woke up. Your post is very relatable because I've been looking at other people's NN as well. And you're right, majority of them are nowhere near their NN, even if they're at the age of 40-60. I can only think of two people who actually has great progress towards their NN.

Planets conjuncting NN helps a lot. Those two people have their personal planets conjunct their NN and I envy them haha!

I have NN in Leo 8th house. The only thing that's parallel to it is just my 8th house cusp in Leo. I'm pretty much an Aquarian as a whole. Uranus is my dominant planet and I have Moon-Uranus conjuction that's also sort of prominent in my chart. My chart ruler, Saturn, is at least trine my NN and it's tight I guess. I understand that NN is a lifetime challenge. There will be times when we finally hit that NN energy, but usually it don't last long because we tend to go back into our comfort zone. I hope you don't mind that I'll explain my experience as an example? :)

At a very young age, around 2 years old, my parents discovered that I had natural affinity with music and self-expression. I LOVED to sing and perform in front of people, I had no shame. I'll even dance any time, anywhere! I also was addicted to the movie Lion King and wanted a lion as a pet too, lol. But life got in the way and it killed the firey personality in me. Kids my age started bullying me, other people criticised the way I sang, and issues at home affected me psychologically. By 5th grade, I was completely different. Serious, aloof, shy, sensitive and very harsh with myself.

From there, I started being an Aquarian, I guess. In a way. I often rebelled, I had such weird tastes and interests, I had difficulty relating to other people and started feeling like an outcast. As a result, I started distancing myself with everyone, because I feared that another experience with intimacy and genuine warmth could just hurt me once again. I guess this is where 8th house comes in right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but 8th house themes also include intimacy right? The only times I come out of my shell and transform into that Leo for a few minutes or so, is whenever I'm asked to perform onstage.

Despite being so comfortable of watching other people shine from the sidelines, I did have big urges to get up there and show them what I got as well. Instead, I end up performing with groups of people, and I always, without hesitation, give other people the opportunity to shine! I love encouraging these people, but I realized that no one was giving me that support in return and I became insecure. Because I thought,"If I was good enough, they would have reciprocated that, right?"

But after discovering the real meaning of my NN and the aspects in my natal chart, I started accepting that I really am a creative person and that I shouldn't hide it. I shouldn't be insecure of it too. Being creative and expressive actually makes me feel so happy and alive, it makes me remember how happy and energetic I was back then. Since I've been pursuing medical studies and buried my real desires deep within me, I'd often feel depressed and stuck. For so long, I denied my wants of being out there in the open and just... sing to the music.

But now that I'm more conscious of it, I'm putting in more effort to get that enthusiasm I once had. Actually, I think we all have our NN hidden deep within us. It's up to us and to the heavens to unlock that potential. And I read that we aren't supposed to abandon our SN. I don't think we could ever abandon it, but we could blend our SN with NN. Find the balance between the two. Unfortunately, it is not an easy task as well. We're all very inconsiderate with our own flaws and mistakes, and so we tend to be stuck on the same place because we usually don't make an effort to look deep within and realize what we really need to work on.
Transit Pluto on my Ascendant gave me this opportunity so I'm very thankful for it.

The sign LEO on my NN is easy to understand. What I still don't quite get is the 8th house. It has like, a lot of meanings, many dark and deep themes. All I can think of from this is Transformation and maybe even Spirituality.

Like waybread, I'm just here on my phone, still reading stuff about Astrology and Astronomy stuff. I need to move my *** and work on my creativity instead. :) haha.

Animatrix

Hi! I first discovered what a North Node is, around last year in July. Ever since then, I've been thinking of ways to get to that energy and I've been a little impatient, but it's really what I feel because after discivering my NN, I felt like I finally woke up. Your post is very relatable because I've been looking at other people's NN as well. And you're right, majority of them are nowhere near their NN, even if they're at the age of 40-60. I can only think of two people who actually has great progress towards their NN.

Planets conjuncting NN helps a lot. Those two people have their personal planets conjunct their NN and I envy them haha!

I have NN in Leo 8th house. The only thing that's parallel to it is just my 8th house cusp in Leo. I'm pretty much an Aquarian as a whole. Uranus is my dominant planet and I have Moon-Uranus conjuction that's also sort of prominent in my chart. My chart ruler, Saturn, is at least trine my NN and it's tight I guess. I understand that NN is a lifetime challenge. There will be times when we finally hit that NN energy, but usually it don't last long because we tend to go back into our comfort zone. I hope you don't mind that I'll explain my experience as an example? :)

At a very young age, around 2 years old, my parents discovered that I had natural affinity with music and self-expression. I LOVED to sing and perform in front of people, I had no shame. I'll even dance any time, anywhere! I also was addicted to the movie Lion King and wanted a lion as a pet too, lol. But life got in the way and it killed the firey personality in me. Kids my age started bullying me, other people criticised the way I sang, and issues at home affected me psychologically. By 5th grade, I was completely different. Serious, aloof, shy, sensitive and very harsh with myself.

From there, I started being an Aquarian, I guess. In a way. I often rebelled, I had such weird tastes and interests, I had difficulty relating to other people and started feeling like an outcast. As a result, I started distancing myself with everyone, because I feared that another experience with intimacy and genuine warmth could just hurt me once again. I guess this is where 8th house comes in right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but 8th house themes also include intimacy right? The only times I come out of my shell and transform into that Leo for a few minutes or so, is whenever I'm asked to perform onstage.

Despite being so comfortable of watching other people shine from the sidelines, I did have big urges to get up there and show them what I got as well. Instead, I end up performing with groups of people, and I always, without hesitation, give other people the opportunity to shine! I love encouraging these people, but I realized that no one was giving me that support in return and I became insecure. Because I thought,"If I was good enough, they would have reciprocated that, right?"

But after discovering the real meaning of my NN and the aspects in my natal chart, I started accepting that I really am a creative person and that I shouldn't hide it. I shouldn't be insecure of it too. Being creative and expressive actually makes me feel so happy and alive, it makes me remember how happy and energetic I was back then. Since I've been pursuing medical studies and buried my real desires deep within me, I'd often feel depressed and stuck. For so long, I denied my wants of being out there in the open and just... sing to the music.

But now that I'm more conscious of it, I'm putting in more effort to get that enthusiasm I once had. Actually, I think we all have our NN hidden deep within us. It's up to us and to the heavens to unlock that potential. And I read that we aren't supposed to abandon our SN. I don't think we could ever abandon it, but we could blend our SN with NN. Find the balance between the two. Unfortunately, it is not an easy task as well. We're all very inconsiderate with our own flaws and mistakes, and so we tend to be stuck on the same place because we usually don't make an effort to look deep within and realize what we really need to work on.
Transit Pluto on my Ascendant gave me this opportunity so I'm very thankful for it.

The sign LEO on my NN is easy to understand. What I still don't quite get is the 8th house. It has like, a lot of meanings, many dark and deep themes. All I can think of from this is Transformation and maybe even Spirituality.

Like waybread, I'm just here on my phone, still reading stuff about Astrology and Astronomy stuff. I need to move my *** and work on my creativity instead. :) haha.

Thank you very much, and it was interesting.

I might have some good ideas to help you.

waybread

Thank you so much for your reply.
But Aries NN is also about building an identity I guess, establishing a sense of self?

anyway, loved your post, thanks.

Thanks.

I think the sun shows your sense of identity or self.

A sign shows how or in what manner a planet (or node) operates. In Aries, I think the node needs to operate independently and courageously (if not aggressively,) but this isn't the same as the sun.

UraSatVen1029

I also wonder if NN contacts in synastry also plays a part in a person's progress towards their NN.

For example, my friend and I have SN and NN contacts, but it's not a double whammy.

Her Venus is conjunct my NN, my moon is conjunct her SN.

Do you think it could help?

Animatrix

I also wonder if NN contacts in synastry also plays a part in a person's progress towards their NN.

For example, my friend and I have SN and NN contacts, but it's not a double whammy.

No idea really.

Ideas? Like what? :)

Study health. Find out about its secrets, search old books, learn to build yourself up, tone up your nerves, one day you will have that energy and shamelessness on stage :)

theoddone

North node in Aquarius here. I have it in my 4th house. I know one of the themes for Aquarius is being eco-friendly and I have tried my best to keep to that. I recycle, try to eat organic foods, and use organic bath and beauty products such as shampoo, soap, toothpaste, face wash, etc.

The problem for me is, my Aquarius NN is tightly conjunct my IC, which means I have a Leo SN with the same tight conjunction on my Midheaven. I am going to school to get a career in computer network administration and I absolutely would rather focus on obtaining a career rather than building a family, which is what I assume my NN-IC conjunction wants me to do. For years I have not wanted to have kids or a husband or any of that and honestly, I think I'm scared of getting married and having kids.

The fact I have the NN-IC conjunction in Aquarius is confusing because Aquarius does not seem to be very family-orientated. I also don't have planetary configurations that support my supposed north node destiny in terms of marriage and children. My 5th and 7th houses are Pisces and Taurus and both are empty. Their ruling planets, Neptune and Venus, are located in my 3rd house which is not a relationship house.

All in all, I'm just really confused about it because my chart does not make sense in terms of my north node destiny. On the bright side, I read that a north node Aquarius is the sign of the astrologer so I guess I have that going for me even though I feel like an amateur at it.

theoddone

Every astrology article I've come across says that synastry contacts to the north node does indicate them in helping you on your north node path.

HeartTree

My north node is gemini 9th house. Always been in that path. Higher education was natural choice. I like to travel, exploring different believe systems. Im even publishing a book this autumn. And teaching others in my own way.( But have to say..i don't want to be a teacher.. people tell me that i should be one :D)

From saggy south node i bring with me honesty and believability and faith in myself. But im too serious. I dont have that sagittarius fun and lightness in me :(

Vlkodlak

I agree that Nodal astrology is extremely important. But there some thing I'd like to specify.

I believe that achieving the North Node's position or let's say integrating it's energy into one's being isn't merely a question of what one does or how one can be objectively decribed.
Judging famous personalities just by their biographies isn't a suffucient way how to estimate their progress on the way of incorporating energies of the North Node. To develop this means to to be able to focus attention into the area given by NN, which also includes an ability to direct one's subconcious attention into that area (which is of course a longterm issue to do it). It's more like changing the balance of energies in your being. Let's say for illustration that a being is composed of jin and jang energy in a certain ration if different parts of itself and this ration has to change in those parts adequately in order to change one's perception to be able to point the attention towards the North Node's energy. This is first of all an internal process for which's tracking isn't sufficient to measure objective circumstances of what one does.
We're all a compositions of energies of the South Node and of the North Node and these two areas will be following us all the life. The South Node is the place of energy which we're getting and the North Node means the energy which we must learn to put forward out of ourselves which means first of all learn to connect to it, focus our attention to it so we can start putting energy which is already in us (which comes from the South Node) into it.
A typical person whose NN's quality isn't developed or is poor barely realizes that the area of their north NN exists so he can't functionate in that area and whenever he meets a situation where such a behaviour is requiered, he will feel confused and scared away by it. Let's say that person's NN lies in the fourth house and therefore unnoficial behaviour with more awareness of his basic instincts and no presence of outer social influences like laws and rules. When such a person with SN in 10th house will be pushed into such environment he will feel lost and will try to run away by creating a persona (a social mask). But this mask will be easily torn off by others in that environment which will make the person desperate. But there will be no other choice then learn how to function there as the life pushes us all into areas of our NN's and the person will learn for example how to be aware of basic bodily needs of other people - that's what I'm calling a shift of attention here. Or the person would learn it only partially having troubles to learn the lessons offered by life and will be surviving in such an environment and basically using his ego's defence mechanisms to avoid further learning and accepting the pain. Such an environment in it's nature will always be that of the 4th house nature but where it will be physically and objectively situated may differ. Is it a prison and the person is a prisoner? Is it at home and the person is a parent; is a kind of parentage where the person is an officially behaving like a parent but all contacts with children are carried out by au pairs or a parent who is in direct contact with his childern all the time? Or is it superior worker in a caring profession giving orders to others and making sure all neccesary work is being carried out? Yes? -Great because the last example is a situation where are more 4th house qualities required and its given by the nature of the organization. But you can also meet people with the opposite orientation of the Nodes there and it would be perfectly suitable. That means that it isn't suitable to judge people just by their position, occupation, facebook status or whatever. For such recognition of how far a person got in being able to incorporate his NN energy one must know very well curcumstances and natures of their most common activities, behaviours, attitudes. It can be more precise as you did, to judge your family members because you know better where focus of their true attention lies and what is nature of their activites. To return to previous example a person with NN in 4th house can be perfectly proficient in their job and having a succesful carreer and then come home and be a good parent with all the qualities what it requires. To judge this you would have to know what makes them really happy (they'll tell you that both their job and family makes them happy) although the NN brings more sense of fullfillment. But many people can't really discern it.
Energy or let's say activities regarding the SN will be there all the life and it is neccessary because it is input and the North Node is output. Therefore someone with SN in Saggitarius or 9th house can be very well travelling, meeting foreigners, having an interest in past life matters etc. Important is how he compensates it. One of my friends has this nodal orientation and she bought an expensive trip to India where she visits religious places with a large group of travellers and all the time she keeps speaking and speaking and speaking with others (her NN is in Gemini in 1st) even if they don't want to listen (first house trait) about philosophical matters. Or in the mentioned case of Rommel (I didn't study his life nor his horoscope) I can imagine that he had a great power and that means properties and his own stable place to live in luxury (if only Germany didn't lose, but nothing lasts forever in this world) so we can't really say where his attention was since battling in war might have been his SN activity which works quite instinctively so the person can focus somewhere else.

I'd compare this to attempt to judge drivers in bypassing cars under you when standing on a bridge. Can you recognize who is a good driver, who is average and who is poor? Maybe sometimes but to be really sure you have to know if they are really focused on their driving, if they look in the mirrors correctly, if they predict situation, if a cellphone in their pocked is switched off and so on...simply said you need to know the situation subjectively, objectively and into details.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What works for me when judging people in this sense is to pay attention to attractivity, wholiness and harmony of their behaviour, statements and attitudes. The SN energy if empasized by a person appears to be a bit repulsive and not nice and not to be congruent with the whole picture at that moment. The person often subconsciously knows that something is wrong now with them. Meanwhile a person with NN energy developed seems to be much more accepted (or his ideas) by others and what they say with a proper focus on their NN usually sounds allright, even if the things they're saying aren't allright. For example a strong, stubborn self oriented person, acting at the expense of others is usually easily accepted by them when his NN is in Aries, 1st house or in connection with Mars.

To achieve one's NN is always a matter of so called Leap of Faith. Leap of faith done repeatedly many times. That's why person who doesn't know anything about astrology can achieve it and people familiar with astrology don't have anything sure regarding this matter. It is some kind of a spiritual strenght which helps including virtues like truthfulness and forbearance which strenghten us to avoid escaping behaviour from life challenges.

It is like jumping in a cold water. You can try to prepare yourself mentally but when it comes you have to forget it, turn off your brain's assumptions because when it really comes it is different, completely different emotions signals and information which your body and your soul gets than what you thougth before it will look like. When you're jumping you must be completely empty like tabula rasa otherwise it'll hurt you. And after that, you'll have to find your own names for things you've just experienced, some of it will have a name which you already learned somewhere but all together is just something new. For that you'll receive another piece of wisdom and knowledge and you'll be closer to incorporating your own NN. Easy to write about it, hard to do it.

What actually helps in this process is to know which attitudes you're supposed to learn so you'll know that what just happened to you wasn't just some kind of a madness or a nonsense but it has it's important meaning. People who don't know astrology or unbelievers may want to suppress their past as they don't understand why they were so different once. But when they do it they also suppress a piece of themselves with it. Few books that really helped me in understanding NN's attitudes and behaviours are M. Schulmann and J. Spiller.
But it doesn't work to read about it and then trying to be like that. Life is just too complex and our conciousness is just too limited. Much better is to let things happen and be aware of them. It means to follow your own instincts than ideas from books. Often when something what wasn't ideal happened and you're aware of it (e.g. you psychologically admit that you just had a painful experience) your mind will automatically connect it to the information you've got from a book which is already a shift in your NN's direction.
In this sense the NN energy is like Tao which you can follow but can't follow at the same time because when you try it vanishes.

Animatrix

I agree that Nodal astrology is extremely important. But there some thing I'd like to specify.

I believe that achieving the North Node's position or let's say integrating it's energy into one's being isn't merely a question of what one does or how one can be objectively decribed.
Judging famous personalities just by their biographies isn't a suffucient way how to estimate their progress on the way of incorporating energies of the North Node. To develop this means to to be able to focus attention into the area given by NN, which also includes an ability to direct one's subconcious attention into that area (which is of course a longterm issue to do it). It's more like changing the balance of energies in your being. Let's say for illustration that a being is composed of jin and jang energy in a certain ration if different parts of itself and this ration has to change in those parts adequately in order to change one's perception to be able to point the attention towards the North Node's energy. This is first of all an internal process for which's tracking isn't sufficient to measure objective circumstances of what one does.
We're all a compositions of energies of the South Node and of the North Node and these two areas will be following us all the life. The South Node is the place of energy which we're getting and the North Node means the energy which we must learn to put forward out of ourselves which means first of all learn to connect to it, focus our attention to it so we can start putting energy which is already in us (which comes from the South Node) into it.
A typical person whose NN's quality isn't developed or is poor barely realizes that the area of their north NN exists so he can't functionate in that area and whenever he meets a situation where such a behaviour is requiered, he will feel confused and scared away by it. Let's say that person's NN lies in the fourth house and therefore unnoficial behaviour with more awareness of his basic instincts and no presence of outer social influences like laws and rules. When such a person with SN in 10th house will be pushed into such environment he will feel lost and will try to run away by creating a persona (a social mask). But this mask will be easily torn off by others in that environment which will make the person desperate. But there will be no other choice then learn how to function there as the life pushes us all into areas of our NN's and the person will learn for example how to be aware of basic bodily needs of other people - that's what I'm calling a shift of attention here. Or the person would learn it only partially having troubles to learn the lessons offered by life and will be surviving in such an environment and basically using his ego's defence mechanisms to avoid further learning and accepting the pain. Such an environment in it's nature will always be that of the 4th house nature but where it will be physically and objectively situated may differ. Is it a prison and the person is a prisoner? Is it at home and the person is a parent; is a kind of parentage where the person is an officially behaving like a parent but all contacts with children are carried out by au pairs or a parent who is in direct contact with his childern all the time? Or is it superior worker in a caring profession giving orders to others and making sure all neccesary work is being carried out? Yes? -Great because the last example is a situation where are more 4th house qualities required and its given by the nature of the organization. But you can also meet people with the opposite orientation of the Nodes there and it would be perfectly suitable. That means that it isn't suitable to judge people just by their position, occupation, facebook status or whatever. For such recognition of how far a person got in being able to incorporate his NN energy one must know very well curcumstances and natures of their most common activities, behaviours, attitudes. It can be more precise as you did, to judge your family members because you know better where focus of their true attention lies and what is nature of their activites. To return to previous example a person with NN in 4th house can be perfectly proficient in their job and having a succesful carreer and then come home and be a good parent with all the qualities what it requires. To judge this you would have to know what makes them really happy (they'll tell you that both their job and family makes them happy) although the NN brings more sense of fullfillment. But many people can't really discern it.
Energy or let's say activities regarding the SN will be there all the life and it is neccessary because it is input and the North Node is output. Therefore someone with SN in Saggitarius or 9th house can be very well travelling, meeting foreigners, having an interest in past life matters etc. Important is how he compensates it. One of my friends has this nodal orientation and she bought an expensive trip to India where she visits religious places with a large group of travellers and all the time she keeps speaking and speaking and speaking with others (her NN is in Gemini in 1st) even if they don't want to listen (first house trait) about philosophical matters. Or in the mentioned case of Rommel (I didn't study his life nor his horoscope) I can imagine that he had a great power and that means properties and his own stable place to live in luxury (if only Germany didn't lose, but nothing lasts forever in this world) so we can't really say where his attention was since battling in war might have been his SN activity which works quite instinctively so the person can focus somewhere else.

I'd compare this to attempt to judge drivers in bypassing cars under you when standing on a bridge. Can you recognize who is a good driver, who is average and who is poor? Maybe sometimes but to be really sure you have to know if they are really focused on their driving, if they look in the mirrors correctly, if they predict situation, if a cellphone in their pocked is switched off and so on...simply said you need to know the situation subjectively, objectively and into details.

What works for me when judging people in this sense is to pay attention to attractivity, wholiness and harmony of their behaviour, statements and attitudes. The SN energy if empasized by a person appears to be a bit repulsive and not nice and not to be congruent with the whole picture at that moment. The person often subconsciously knows that something is wrong now with them. Meanwhile a person with NN energy developed seems to be much more accepted (or his ideas) by others and what they say with a proper focus on their NN usually sounds allright, even if the things they're saying aren't allright. For example a strong, stubborn self oriented person, acting at the expense of others is usually easily accepted by them when his NN is in Aries, 1st house or in connection with Mars.

To achieve one's NN is always a matter of so called Leap of Faith. Leap of faith done repeatedly many times. That's why person who doesn't know anything about astrology can achieve it and people familiar with astrology don't have anything sure regarding this matter. It is some kind of a spiritual strenght which helps including virtues like truthfulness and forbearance which strenghten us to avoid escaping behaviour from life challenges.

It is like jumping in a cold water. You can try to prepare yourself mentally but when it comes you have to forget it, turn off your brain's assumptions because when it really comes it is different, completely different emotions signals and information which your body and your soul gets than what you thougth before it will look like. When you're jumping you must be completely empty like tabula rasa otherwise it'll hurt you. And after that, you'll have to find your own names for things you've just experienced, some of it will have a name which you already learned somewhere but all together is just something new. For that you'll receive another piece of wisdom and knowledge and you'll be closer to incorporating your own NN. Easy to write about it, hard to do it.

What actually helps in this process is to know which attitudes you're supposed to learn so you'll know that what just happened to you wasn't just some kind of a madness or a nonsense but it has it's important meaning. People who don't know astrology or unbelievers may want to suppress their past as they don't understand why they were so different once. But when they do it they also suppress a piece of themselves with it. Few books that really helped me in understanding NN's attitudes and behaviours are M. Schulmann and J. Spiller.
But it doesn't work to read about it and then trying to be like that. Life is just too complex and our conciousness is just too limited. Much better is to let things happen and be aware of them. It means to follow your own instincts than ideas from books. Often when something what wasn't ideal happened and you're aware of it (e.g. you psychologically admit that you just had a painful experience) your mind will automatically connect it to the information you've got from a book which is already a shift in your NN's direction.
In this sense the NN energy is like Tao which you can follow but can't follow at the same time because when you try it vanishes.

Wow extremely interesting thank you.