The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

CuriousCat

I know Z! I already saw all those complicated instructions.

Thanks for letting me know so promptly that my attempt to create a shortcut fizzled.

Geesh! Is there a way to delete this thread now?

Thanks,

CC

Zarathu

Account Closed

Thanks for letting me know so promptly that my attempt to create a shortcut fizzled.

Thanks,

CC

You can edit the thread anyway you want with the EDIT button on the lower left, but only moderators can remove threads that are the startup post in a thread. If it wasn't a startup post you could remove it.

I do that with some of my posts which have proprietary information that I don't want out there forever, or in threads that get out of control, and I no longer want to be involved, or for many reasons.

StillOne

Thanks,

CC

CC, the instructions seem complicated at first but become easier with practice. Take it slow. To successfully participate on this forum, it is imperative to post charts as a thumbnail. A little bit of effort will help you yield great insight from the astrologers here.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Zarathu

Account Closed
CC, the instructions seem complicated at first but become easier with practice. Take it slow. To successfully participate on this forum, it is imperative to post charts as a thumbnail. A little bit of effort will help you yield great insight from the astrologers here.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

I've never actually done it in more than 4000 posts. But then I use my own software for the charts, and as a professional astrolger, I've never had any reason to ask a question about my chart from the forum.

StillOne

I've never actually done it in more than 4000 posts. But then I use my own software for the charts, and as a professional astrolger, I've never had any reason to ask a question about my chart from the forum.

Good point! I should say that if one wants their chart read here, they should learn to post charts as a thumbnail. Of course if one is a professional astrologer, posting charts may not be necessary! :sideways:

CuriousCat

CC, the instructions seem complicated at first but become easier with practice. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for your interest, Stillpoint.

I do great until I hit the "upload" button and then I am told the file is invalid. I think this is a computer issue. I mentioned on another thread here that my new computer doesn't use Windows... it's a Google Chromebook...so I think my best bet is to try doing this on another computer with a conventional operating system.

There is probably an app that would allow me to upload the file, but I don't know which app! :whistling:

This is too funny! :happy:

CuriousCat

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Attachments

• astro_w2at_01_curious_cat_hp_71034_53671.gif
    astro_w2at_01_curious_cat_hp_71034_53671.gif
    57.3 KB · Views: 39

CuriousCat

I hear you, Ambersole! I'm just grabbing at straws! It's "curious." Being a newcomer to the study of astrology and to this community, I certainly can't claim to know anything!

Thanks again for stopping by, sweetie!:happy:

I like your "location," btw! (Would also make a very cool signature!).
Most of us need a plane to get "here!" Being somewhere else is usually far easier and more accessible! :wink:

JUPITERASC

...any feedback/insight is appreciated! :happy:

Please don't sugarcoat. I want to learn and grow and do what I am supposed to do in this life. :love:

With gratitude,

CuriousCat
Your natal chart was created using the default house system on astro.com
i.e. Placidus

however
there are additional options on astro.com's Extended Chart Selection Page
that offer a choice from fourteen different house systems

I mention this factor
because
Your natal Jupiter is located in 12th house using Placidus

however
whole signs
places your natal Jupiter in 1st house
:smile:

Keep in mind
that
the house location of any natal planet is entirely dependent on the house system chosen

easily verified by using the previously mentioned selection of any of the fourteen different house systems
on offer at astro.com's Extended Chart Selection Page

EXPLANATORY ASTROLOGICAL HOUSES ARTICLE http://www.librarising.com/astrology/misc/wholesignhouses.html

'...In no other area of astrology is there so much mess and confusion than in the area of the so-called "houses".
There are at least twenty or thirty different house systems
or means of dividing the so-called "birthchart" into twelve segments of life activity.
In astrology, houses, mansions, or domains,
represent general areas of life activity
and are the grounding areas or arenas of expression for planets.
Originally, the words "houses" and "signs" were interchangeable or meant the same thing.
A planet in Aries was also a planet in the house of Aries,
so that in effect. there were no real houses as we know them today
....'

'….Artificial divisions now known as houses
were attempts by early Greeks and Hindus to measure strength "points" in the horoscope,
which during 7th and 8th centuries AD were construed
or confused
as means of dividing the birth chart.
The ascendant and midheaven degrees and their opposites, for example,
were definite power points or areas of intense focus,
but not necessarily the beginnings of a house or quadrant.

In fact, there is no real basis for the astrological houses at all.
They derive from a misunderstanding of the true nature of the Ascendant and Midheaven factors in astrology,
Ascendant representing Earth/terrestial sphere, and Midheaven representing Sky/Heaven /celestial sphere....'

'...If any house system should be used at all, it should be the Whole Sign House system, where the ascendant sign becomes the whole first house and the others follow. Ascendant point can then fall anywhere in the first house and the midheaven point anywhere in the upper half of the chart. The Whole Sign House system was used by the ancient Greeks and the Hindus(who still use it today). It is the oldest and simplest house system in existence, and immediately eliminates the awful mess astrologers have made on the issue over the last 1300 years or so....'

WHOLE SIGN OR PLACIDUS http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39669

CuriousCat

Thanks, JUPITERASC, for the House information! Options are always good! Librans like options! (& Thanks for the fun video and song! Wow. Very catchy!).:joyful:

I read the thread you linked and the Wiki article Waybread provided therein. Seems Placidus is the most widely used system in Western astrology, and given the location of my birth, from what I read, I feel comfy going with the 12th house Jupiter assignment. (Though I may be missing out on some really good qualities that I'd prefer to claim "ownership" of if I went the other way!).:wink:

Again, it's good to be educated about broader horizons. Perhaps at a later time when I feel well-versed with this one route, I will venture into roads not taken.:cool:

JUPITERASC

Thanks, JUPITERASC, for the House information! Options are always good! Librans like options!

(& Thanks for the fun video and song! Wow. Very catchy!).:joyful:

I read the thread you linked and the Wiki article Waybread provided therein.

Seems Placidus is the most widely used system in Western astrology, and given the location of my birth, from what I read, I feel comfy going with the 12th house Jupiter assignment.
(Though I may be missing out on some really good qualities that I'd prefer to claim "ownership" of if I went the other way!).:wink:

Again, it's good to be educated about broader horizons.
Perhaps at a later time when I feel well-versed with this one route, I will venture into roads not taken
:cool:
Most use a default system if unaware of alternatives :smile:
by the way, you may also have read dr. farr on that thread I linked to
True enough that all of the quadrant house systems# give pretty similar results, except in the extreme latitudes where more pronounced differences are often noted.

I'll add, also, that Equal house often is quite close in results, to the various quadrant systems.

Whole sign, however, often gives significant differences from the quadrant systems...so, every artist will have to decide for themselves;

I used Placidus for 35 years (!!), and with good results;

then I switched to Whole sign (for the past 13 years), and got
-FOR ME-

what I believe to be even better results...

*quadrant house systems, in order of historical origination:
Porphyry
Alchabitius (more accurately Rhetorius/Alchabitius)
Campanus
Regiomontanus
Placidus
Koch
...various mid to late 20th century modifications, such as topocentric, etc
If you read that thread I linked to
then you noticed that dr. farr switched to Whole Signs
- after 35 years of using Placidus
and is obtaining even better results

and
to date
has fifty plus years of astrological research to his credit

Cusps:

Today
(and for the past thousand years or so)
we define cusps as "borders"
(coasts),
but that is not the original meaning of the word "cusp":
it means "point" such as cuspal teeth (bicuspids)
and the point of a sword
-so originally the term cusp meant the "point" of something,
and in astrology originally the "cusp" of the house meant its "point";
now, when quadrant systems were developed,
this "point" of the house came to mean its "beginning",
which later came to mean its "border",
ie, the "border" between one house and the other.

And later astrology also began using these "borders"
(cusps)
for various prognostic applications
(Charles Carter came to believe that, for timing of events, the "cusps" of the Campanus house system gave the best results, among the various quadrant house systems)

But now notice this:
in whole sign the cusps are NOT the 0 degree "borders" of sign/houses at all, and never were so regarded!

In whole sign, the "cusp" retained its original meaning,
not as a "border"
but rather as A POINT
-and that POINT (cusp) for EACH house,
was the sensitive point of that house,

viz, the sensitive point in whole sign houses
-each house- that is the "cusp" of each house
-is a direct projection from the ascending degree.

Example:
-the ascending degree of a chart is 18 Taurus: what are the house cusps (sensitive points, original meaning of the word "cusp") in the whole sign houses of this chart?
Cusp of 1st house = 18 Taurus
Cusp of 2nd house = 18 Gemini
Cusp of 3rd house = 18 Cancer
Cusp of 4th house = 18 Leo
Cusp of 5th house = 18 Virgo
Cusp of 6th house = 18 Libra
Cusp of 7th house = 18 Scorpio
Cusp of 8th house = 18 Sagittarius
Cusp of 9th house = 18 Capricorn
Cusp of 10th house = 18 Aquarius
Cusp of 11th house = 18 Pisces
Cusp of 12th house = 18 Aries

Now it is these "cusps"
(sensitive degrees, original meaning of the word "cusp" as a "point")
that are
(and were)
used for progressions,
timing of events, etc,

and the fact is that they work for these purposes, quite well (in expert hands)

Whole sign does not use the BORDERS between houses (always 0 degree of any sign) for anything,

but it DOES use "cusps"
(points in the house, projected from the exact ascending degree)
for timing (and other) delineative purposes.

Whole sign suddenly vanished
(both in the West and in Vedic astrology)
during the same period of time
-ie, late 8th to early 9th century-

this sudden disappearance suggests a sudden turn in astrological thinking and practices,
rather than a gradual supplanting of a less effective traditional method (whole sign)
by a new and more effective method (rheotrius/alchabitius in the West, and the closely related to whole sign Equal house, in Vedic astrology)

I quite agree with Waybread in the statement, "so what?" (if old time astrologers did or didn't do something)
For me, there is only 1 reason I switched to whole sign
-it worked better (FOR ME)
I could care less if it were the oldest house system (which it is)
or whether it was invented by Badda Bing at Barney's Beanery in Bayonne, 10 years ago:
only things I consider are:
-does it seem to make sense?
-does it "taste good" to me (ie, does it "feel right" to me)
-and, if yes to the above, does it work (producing delineations and predicitions) better than what I have previously been doing?

Well, whole sign did all that, for me, so I switched;
but I am not going to try to convince anyone of anything about it, except for beginners

- to you who might just be starting out, I would say: try whole sign first,
and see how well it might work for you...

CuriousCat

Interesting, JUPITERASC! Thanks for sharing.

When I plug in whole systems on Astro, the chart generated looks about the same to me. I must be doing something wrong... surprise, surprise! Even if it came up correctly, I can't post the thumbnail on this computer & don't know when I can borrow someone else's. Would you post it for me?

:happy:!

I read several interpretations of Jupiter in the 1st and 12th houses. I have to say I relate more to the 12th house descriptions.

For one thing, I keep reading about the physicality of the 1st house people as big boned, big in general, heavy. Their personas are larger than life, gregarious and "out there!" I am diminuitive: small frame, 5'2" 108 pounds, soft spoken, introverted. (But not a shrinking violet! Also assertive, enthusiastic and tenacious ... with a sense of humor!).

I relate to the "guardian angel" theme of Jupiter in the 12th, as I have been whisked out of harm's way at the eleventh hour countless times. Seems there is a protective angelic force around me. Believe me, I have stories that would make the little hairs on the back of your neck stand up. I still marvel at my good fortune in these incidents.

Still...I realize a chart is a "big picture" that must be viewed holistically.