Random Thoughts, strictly Text

david starling

inapproaching? inadvisable? ingraded? indubidibly?

I'm simply reversing the meaning of "direct", in order to obtain a direct, unambiguous, non-judgemental, description of "retrograde".

Direct approach: "Let's hook up! Your place or mine?"

Indirect approach: "I've been admiring you from afar. Can I buy you a drink?"

With the goal being a sexual encounter, which approach is most likely to succeed? I would say it depends on the situation.

Hkk

Account Closed
I would say the I’ve been admiring you from afar is the best approach. Your place or mine is sleazy unless you want it bad

Ukpoohbear

The direct approach is the more honest one, even if it’s insulting. I guess it’s an indication to the secret of a successful social life - the art of lying so as not to offend people.

Last edited:

Ukpoohbear

So, you're equating an indirect approach with lying, even though nothing untrue is said?

It would depend on how it’s conveyed but when comparing the two together, the indirect one definitely seems like a lie because it’s so ambiguous and open to interpretation. ‘Admiring from afar’ could mean in a romantic sense but at least in the first approach, there is no chance of a misunderstanding or in playing upon the romantic ideals of a naive girl.

david starling

It would depend on how it’s conveyed but when comparing the two together, the indirect one definitely seems like a lie because it’s so ambiguous and open to interpretation. ‘Admiring from afar’ could mean in a romantic sense but at least in the first approach, there is no chance of a misunderstanding or in playing upon the romantic ideals of a naive girl.

You're right, could just be a pickup line.

I'm really just trying to get a handle on the meanings of Direct and Retrograde-motion regarding astrology. "Indirect" seems like a more accurate description than "backward", since Direct really means "normally the case", not specifically "forward". For example, "forward movement" of the clock hand is "clockwise", and the reverse of that is "counterclockwise". And, that's the exact opposite of Direct and Retrograde-motion around the Zodiac. So, defining Direct-motion and Retrograde-motion in purely spatial terms is misleading.

I prefer "Indirect" to "Retrograde" as far the actual, astrological meaning is concerned.

Last edited:

Hkk

Account Closed
You're right, could just be a pickup line.

I'm really just trying to get a handle on the meanings of Direct and Retrograde-motion regarding astrology. "Indirect" seems like a more accurate description than "backward", since Direct really means "normally the case", not specifically "forward". For example, "forward movement" of the clock hand is "clockwise", and the reverse of that is "counterclockwise". And, that's the exact opposite of Direct and Retrograde-motion around the Zodiac. So, defining Direct-motion and Retrograde-motion in purely spatial terms is misleading.

I prefer "Indirect" to "Retrograde" as far the actual, astrological meaning is concerned.

So why do they call it retrograde. ‘They’ being whoever made this happen

Hkk

Account Closed
Good question! Some of the language of astrology is archaic, and is no longer of the same meaning as it once was.

Aaaah so it’s all traditional malarkey 😊

We are modems taking the modern lingo now. But I’ve not read anywhere indirect and direct. It’s always retrograde And I’ve googled the Definition and it says the obvious and also opposite of prograde ......

david starling

Aaaah so it’s all traditional malarkey ��

We are modems taking the modern lingo now. But I’ve not read anywhere indirect and direct. It’s always retrograde And I’ve googled the Definition and it says the obvious and also opposite of prograde ......

What's "prograde" from what you've read?

"Retrograde" has a lot of extraneous baggage associated with it on the one hand. On the the other hand it's just "opposite the usual direction", with no interpretation given.

Modernistic astrology relies heavily on the opinions of the various ancient astrologers, but is able to form opinions based on reasoning and logic as well.